Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chaitai posted:

My guess is that it was a kickstarter donation reward to design a weapon and that is what the person chose? Just a shot in the dark here.

e: Yeah, I just looked the kickstarter up. If you donated $1,000 or more, you could design an epic, high-level weapon, armor, or artifact. I assume someone designed that as their weapon.

Okay, that is awesome ahahahahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chaitai posted:

My guess is that it was a kickstarter donation reward to design a weapon and that is what the person chose? Just a shot in the dark here.

e: Yeah, I just looked the kickstarter up. If you donated $1,000 or more, you could design an epic, high-level weapon, armor, or artifact. I assume someone designed that as their weapon.

Can't wait to play an entire game made up of the equivalent of the Johnny Fiveaces cameo from New Vegas only dictated by Kickstarter donors instead of the devs themselves :waycool:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Chaitai posted:

So someone seriously threw a grand to put a lovely gun in a game.

I wish I had that kind of disposable income :sigh:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Leal posted:

So someone seriously threw a grand to put a lovely gun in a game.

I wish I had that kind of disposable income :sigh:

If I was in the 1% I'd constantly be blowing disposable income on stupid poo poo like this ahahahahahaha

like back in 04, when I was pullin crazy extra cash and bought most of the mod/admin team those Super Friends/Legion of Doom avs

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Can't wait to play an entire game made up of the equivalent of the Johnny Fiveaces cameo from New Vegas only dictated by Kickstarter donors instead of the devs themselves :waycool:
Agreed, I miss classic RPGs, which did not have stupid pop culture easter eggs at all.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Agreed, I miss classic RPGs, which did not have stupid pop culture easter eggs at all.
That's what I'm saying.

Pure 16 bit glory with none of that "pop culture" those mouthbreathers like :rolleye:

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's what I'm saying.

Pure 16 bit glory with none of that "pop culture" those mouthbreathers like :rolleye:

I know you're joking, but that was a Ted Woolsey translation thing. In the japanese version their names were Vinegar, Mayonnaise, and Soysauce respectively.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

maou shoujo posted:

I know you're joking, but that was a Ted Woolsey translation thing. In the japanese version their names were Vinegar, Mayonnaise, and Soysauce respectively.

Thank god Woolsey changed it because those names were poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

maou shoujo posted:

And in English?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

RareAcumen posted:

And in English?

Ozzie, Flea, and Slash in reference to rock musicians. Even if they aren't the same subjects, at least Ted Woolsey could keep the "cheesy set of names" that Akira Toriyama was so fond of. (At least half of the characters in Toriyama's Dragon Ball and DBZ had similarly ridiculous name sets.)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

maou shoujo posted:

Ozzie, Flea, and Slash in reference to rock musicians. Even if they aren't the same subjects, at least Ted Woolsey could keep the "cheesy set of names" that Akira Toriyama was so fond of. (At least half of the characters in Toriyama's Dragon Ball and DBZ had similarly ridiculous name sets.)

Like 90% of the characters are named after food or are food-based puns. The others are named after musical instruments.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

That's what I'm saying.

Don't forget Biggs, Wedge, and Piette!
From Star Wars

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

That's what I'm saying.

If Chrono Trigger were Kickstarted they'd be named X_MegaZone_X, KumaDarkclaw, and SunshineUnicorn and their character portraits would be Akira Toriyama trying his darndest to hide the double chins and greasy ponytails from the reference photos the backers sent in.

Dr Christmas posted:

Don't forget Biggs, Wedge, and Piette!
From Star Wars

My favorite is Mega Man X4 having all its villains be named after members of Guns N' Roses. And not even as a sly wink to the musical names of some of the characters in the original series but just because the translator's boyfriend was a big fan of the band and nobody gave enough of a poo poo to change it.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

My favorite is Mega Man X4 having all its villains be named after members of Guns N' Roses.

That's :megaman:Mega Man X5:megaman:, you plebian cur!

To contribute: my favorite little thing in Bloodborne are all the puddles left behind from players killing themselves by jumping repeatedly off of a somewhat high ledge in Hunter's Dream, the only safe area in the game. It's just puddle after puddle after puddle of dead goofballs.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

That's :megaman:Mega Man X5:megaman:, you plebian cur!

To contribute: my favorite little thing in Bloodborne are all the puddles left behind from players killing themselves by jumping repeatedly off of a somewhat high ledge in Hunter's Dream, the only safe area in the game. It's just puddle after puddle after puddle of dead goofballs.

I was wondering how people were doing this. The "I'm stuck somewhere, reset me to the checkpoint" item doesn't do that, and I don't think the game will let you trade 100% for your life for bullets, it won't let you do it if you'll die from it.
e: Although a related nice little thing is that if you're low on bullets you can self-harm near an enemy, then kill that enemy to get the health back, if you're fast enough.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Mar 27, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sleeveless posted:

This post is in response to something which is nothing like the Johnny Fiveaces cameo from New Vegas :confused:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

In Bloodborne your character can get covered in blood, or slime, or whatever the enemy is dripping and it gets stuck to your clothing. It's a really cool effect. What is even cooler is that if you remove your helmet, only the parts where you skin were showing are covered in blood.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
In Deus Ex Human Revolution it's a necessity that poo poo gets hacked so plot stuff happens, and I like that they make the effort to justify it by making Pritchard a bad sysadmin with STOP DOWNLOADING SHAREWARE GUYS emails.

I also love the arch of CRTs in his office.

Hobo By Design has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Mar 29, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hobo By Design posted:

In Deus Ex Human Revolution it's a necessity that poo poo gets hacked so plot stuff happens, and I like that they make the effort to justify it by making Pritchard a bad sysadmin with STOP DOWNLOADING SHAREWARE GUYS emails.

I also love the arch of CRTs in his office.

Pritchard is at least a better sysadmin than Jensen is Head of Security.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
The 3DS game Azure Striker Gunvolt, spiritual successor to MegaMan Zero, has a nice bit of game design. The game has a mechanic where if you are reduced to zero health you may get revived instantly in the same spot because your supporting character, a pretty much literal J-pop anime idol has the ability to affect other psychics with her songs. After the tutorial level, where you meet this character and get an explanation of this you have your choice of levels to play, and the one your cursor defaults to is pretty much intended to show this off. In this level the second session features a rising water section designed around vertical climbs and one nasty section with shutters closing to block your escape, and as your character's main offence is to generate electricity to arc to targets you've designated with your gun this is pretty nasty. If you select his level first you probably haven't mastered the mobility you have, nor have you likely made any of the mobility boosting accessories, so the water will probably catch you, likely near where you get to those loving shutters, leading to a swift death as you try to zap your way out, frying you instead.

Its a nice way of demoing the system really, you don't get a forced death or anything, you are just likely to die instead, giving you a nice intro to the mechanic.

E: also, while it probably would put most Goons off, there is another nice thing. Each of the levels has an alt j-pop type theme by that support character that you get to hear when you hit a certain number of points. The ice thing is that if you get a much higher number of points you get the ability to make an accessory that forces the song that plays in any given level to the one you want instead, an accessory that takes up your defensive accessory slot, which, if you've gotten one of these accessories already is pretty much dead weight to you anyways, as getting hit at any time zeroes your score.

Ashsaber has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Mar 30, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Adam Ant/Michael Stipe?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Who What Now posted:

Pritchard is at least a better sysadmin than Jensen is Head of Security.

Jensen's an obvious case of being promoted above his ability. Dude could take down an entire better-equipped army even before he was a robotic sin against god, but he just has no idea how to strategize or delegate tasks. I'm not entirely sure if he even actually has subordinates.

Pillars of Eternity: In the year of our lord 2015 has finally made tanks useful in "real time with pause" gameplay. Any melee character is able to "engage" a certain number of enemies at which point they have to fight that character or get crazy attack bonuses against them while they disengage (rogues and the like obviously get some tricks to disengage at-will). Also: you can't clip through other characters and the maps give you enough choke points to exploit the poo poo out the previous fact. I've yet to find a single situation where a shield wall keeping the enemy in-check for my arquebusiers to pump volleys into them isn't foolproof.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Mar 30, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

wrong thread!

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Mar 30, 2015

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Kalos posted:

Jensen's an obvious case of being promoted above his ability. Dude could take down an entire better-equipped army even before he was a robotic sin against god, but he just has no idea how to strategize or delegate tasks. I'm not entirely sure if he even actually has subordinates.

Pillars of Eternity: In the year of our lord 2015 has finally made tanks useful in "real time with pause" gameplay. Any melee character is able to "engage" a certain number of enemies at which point they have to fight that character or get crazy attack bonuses against them while they disengage (rogues and the like obviously get some tricks to disengage at-will). Also: you can't clip through other characters and the maps give you enough choke points to exploit the poo poo out the previous fact. I've yet to find a single situation where a shield wall keeping the enemy in-check for my arquebusiers to pump volleys into them isn't foolproof.

A huge part of tanks being useless in games like that is them being partially to entirely based on DnD rules, which only recently tried to have mechanics to allow for tanking. Then the fanbase screeched enough to change it back.

Basically this is amazing and I can't wait to play this goddamn game.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Basically this is amazing and I can't wait to play this goddamn game.

I predict in a short while, this thread will start feeling like PYF little things in games: But not Pillars of Eternity. Shut up about Pillars of Eternity.

It's such a good loving game.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kalos posted:

You don't even need more than one tank - Eder suited up can literally hold 3-6 enemies all at once on his own without his endurance going down, taking any sort of hit or letting any pass. Throw a barbarian or suited up cleric behind him (or at the other side of the group if you're getting flanked) and just forget about him. I've literally had my entire party get wiped out, endurance and health wise, and it still takes a good 2-5 minutes for him to get finished off.

He is the tankiest tank I have ever had in a party and I love this game for it. He can't hit anything worth a poo poo, his damage is crap and he's useless other than waddling in and standing there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WickedHate posted:

I predict in a short while, this thread will start feeling like PYF little things in games: But not Pillars of Eternity. Shut up about Pillars of Eternity.

It's such a good loving game.

Until the next new hotness comes out and the thread forgets about it. And then in a month or so goon reaction will leave the "OMG OBSIDIAN MADE A NEW GANE IT'S PERFECT" stage and you'll start seeing more believable reviews where there's more than pure praise. That's the Goon way of gaming.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

He is the tankiest tank I have ever had in a party and I love this game for it. He can't hit anything worth a poo poo, his damage is crap and he's useless other than waddling in and standing there.

This may also be caused by a bug that causes follower stats to inflate if you save and load your game in the area you recruit them in, mind. It makes Edér practically invincible real fast. There are a couple of bad bugs like that but like I said in the game's thread, massive games like this will always have something slip through the cracks so I don't really buy into the "Obsidian game" jokes this time around, for the most part it works real smooth.

Len posted:

Until the next new hotness comes out and the thread forgets about it. And then in a month or so goon reaction will leave the "OMG OBSIDIAN MADE A NEW GANE IT'S PERFECT" stage and you'll start seeing more believable reviews where there's more than pure praise. That's the Goon way of gaming.

It's not perfect but it's legitimately an excellent game and probably Obsidian's best one to date.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I really like the architecture and design of the city in Bloodborne.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kanfy posted:

This may also be caused by a bug that causes follower stats to inflate if you save and load your game in the area you recruit them in, mind. It makes Edér practically invincible real fast. There are a couple of bad bugs like that but like I said in the game's thread, massive games like this will always have something slip through the cracks so I don't really buy into the "Obsidian game" jokes this time around, for the most part it works real smooth.

It's not perfect but it's legitimately an excellent game and probably Obsidian's best one to date.

I've geared him to the teeth so I really doubt it's a bug doing this and not every single item slot being packed full of magical items and +fine/+constitution gear.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I lack the required patience to really get into it but man the art direction is solid in Bloodborne.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Kalos posted:

Plus it's his first day back after getting shot up, and his boss is having him be a one-man strike team. He never gets a chance to sit down and manage the building...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Len posted:

It's not just goons, if that helps. I'm loving PoE right now, but my little thing is in FFXIV right now. I got a little pointer pet for using a referral code, and it points at me and goes up and down like the classic pointer in the FF games :3:. Also the music is amazing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

those goons, always gooning around with their gooniness. what a bunch of goons.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Alouicious posted:

"Every goon is bad but me." - Every Goon Ever

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Red Minjo posted:

"Every goon is bad but me." - Every Goon Ever

It's true though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

You don't even need more than one tank - Eder suited up can literally hold 3-6 enemies all at once on his own without his endurance going down, taking any sort of hit or letting any pass. Throw a barbarian or suited up cleric behind him (or at the other side of the group if you're getting flanked) and just forget about him. I've literally had my entire party get wiped out, endurance and health wise, and it still takes a good 2-5 minutes for him to get finished off.

I wish I could figure out why in battles Eder is an unstoppable wall, then in the next one he gets steamrolled. Combat moves too fast even with the pausing and the log to figure out what the gently caress happened at times.
I love the sheer variety of spells you can play with, even at low levels. Really lets me experiment, which is nice after the D&D based games where everything but direct damage spells are kinda useless. Also, casting the flame beam thing, then running circles around the enemy group is funny.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Alouicious posted:

Looks like those goons in Congress did it again. What a bunch of goons.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

oldpainless posted:

Is it Victorian Anor Londo? Because it looks like Victorian Anor Londo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CitizenKain posted:

I wish I could figure out why in battles Eder is an unstoppable wall, then in the next one he gets steamrolled. Combat moves too fast even with the pausing and the log to figure out what the gently caress happened at times.
I love the sheer variety of spells you can play with, even at low levels. Really lets me experiment, which is nice after the D&D based games where everything but direct damage spells are kinda useless. Also, casting the flame beam thing, then running circles around the enemy group is funny.

The combat log is useful and you should expand it to be taller than it is, really. Also a lot of the auto-pause options should be on. 'Enemy spotted' and 'combat started' are good ones, as might be 'trap spotted'. 'Endurance low' is good for knowing what the hell just hit you, as is 'ally downed'. 'Enemy downed' lets you immediately retarget as soon as you kill one target. I don't currently have it on but I think there's also 'enemy spell starting' which lets you know to get the hell out of an AoE.