Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Is there a significant difference in risk of getting powder in your eyes between, say, flintlock and matchlock muskets? Did the percussion cap basically eliminate that risk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also, the Observer Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704884

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is there a significant difference in risk of getting powder in your eyes between, say, flintlock and matchlock muskets? Did the percussion cap basically eliminate that risk?
The pan in a matchlock or flintlock is a little open space that you fill with gunpowder (not to mention that flint strikes sparks), so once you eliminate that with the percussion cap it's a lot friendlier on the user's face and clothing.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Agean90 posted:

Muskets are not really accurate enough for small unit tactics. So volume won fights, and the blocks of dudes volley-firing was the best way to get that.

Not strictly true. Muskets can be accurate enough to hit man-sized targets out to about 100-150 yards, and can hit company-sized targets out to 200 or so yards. Obviously, accuracy declined the faster men were trying to fire and the more fouled the musket became.

Lots of musket-armed units fought as light infantry, with individual soldiers/groups of soldiers taking a degree of personal initiative. One of the best early examples of this is Roger's Rangers. Although some of Roger's men did carry long rifles, the vast majority carried Tower pattern Brown Besses or a similar smoothbore musket. As frontier raiders, light infantry fighting was the bread and butter of the Rangers. They are their muskets were more than adequate to the task.

By the Napoleonic Wars, most armies had some kind of light infantry (ex. French tirailleurs). With a handful of exceptions (British green jackets, some KGL light troops, Prussian iaegers, and some Russian jaeger units), the vast majority of these light soldiers fought with muskets. Light infantrymen were chosen for being small (the average voltiguer was only about 5'3"), agile, intelligent, and independent-mined. These traits were essential for light infantry tactics.

Light infantry* usually fought in open order, giving individual light infantrymen much more independence than their comrades in line regiments. The smallest element of a light infantry company was the two-man pair. One man loaded with the other man fired. This allowed a light infantry unit to keep up a steady, rolling fire and made sure that one man could always cover his partner's advance or retreat. So small unit tactics were very much a thing during the 18th century, if only amongst somewhat specialized units.

*line infantry units, most notably Russian Fusilier regiments could also fight as light infantry as needed, although this wasn't their primary mission.

Chillyrabbit posted:

For the reason why you fired in volleys:
1. Smoke, its impossible to see if everyone is firing at different times since 1 muskets smoke can block other peoples view so its better to fire all at once before you start to lose visibility
2. match locks and flint locks threw off sparks which could touch off other peoples loads however unlikely that may be (totally anecdotal theory crafting)
3. its a lot scarier when you get hit by a thunderclap of casualties and noise vs being picked away at slowly. (and people can easily rout if hit by a volley since morale is such a huge part of this type of combat)
4. soldiers may waste a lot of ammo by firing too soon or hold their shots too late so it was better to command them to fire.

All more or less true.

#2 happened on one occasion. During one of Clive's battles in India, a stray spark from a musket allegedly ignited one sepoy's cartridge box, starting a chain reaction that caused every other soldier's open cartridge box to explode!

#3 is supported by several examples. One or two successful volleys could completely destroy an unfortunate regiment. In one volley at Fontenoy in 1745, the British Guards brigade killed 500+ French guardsmen, routing an entire regiment and forcing the French brigade to retire. Two British volleys at Quebec in 1759 shattered French troops on the plains of Abraham (evidently Wolfe had ordered British soldiers to double-shot their muskets)

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 29, 2015

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
when soviet soldiers and other allied troops met at different points when the war in europe in world war 2 was over, were there any accidental (or provoked) firefights? were soviet soldiers instructed not to interact or do anything? Were soviet soldiers who did that deemed suspicious afterwards and potentially sent to gulags?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kanine posted:

when soviet soldiers and other allied troops met at different points when the war in europe in world war 2 was over, were there any accidental (or provoked) firefights? were soviet soldiers instructed not to interact or do anything? Were soviet soldiers who did that deemed suspicious afterwards and potentially sent to gulags?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So I'm reading about the USS Iowa disaster on Wiki.

quote:

During the briefing, Skelley announced that Turret Two would participate in an experiment of his design in which D-846 powder would be used to fire 2700 lb (1224.7 kg) shells.

The powder lots of D-846 were among the oldest on board Iowa, dating back to 1943–1945, and were designed to fire 1900 lb (861.8 kg) shells. In fact, printed on each D-846 powder canister were the words, "WARNING: Do Not Use with 2,700-pound projectiles."

:psyduck: How did someone get away with performing unauthorized gunnery experiments for months on a battleship? Who was this guy?

E: oh I read the rest of the article and :wtc: I don't understand any of this, at all. Just: USS Iowa, 1989, what the gently caress?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 29, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bacarruda posted:

Not strictly true. Muskets can be accurate enough to hit man-sized targets out to about 100-150 yards, and can hit company-sized targets out to 200 or so yards. Obviously, accuracy declined the faster men were trying to fire and the more fouled the musket became.

Lots of musket-armed units fought as light infantry, with individual soldiers/groups of soldiers taking a degree of personal initiative. One of the best early examples of this is Roger's Rangers. Although some of Roger's men did carry long rifles, the vast majority carried Tower pattern Brown Besses or a similar smoothbore musket. As frontier raiders, light infantry fighting was the bread and butter of the Rangers. They are their muskets were more than adequate to the task.

By the Napoleonic Wars, most armies had some kind of light infantry (ex. French tirailleurs). With a handful of exceptions (British green jackets, some KGL light troops, Prussian iaegers, and some Russian jaeger units), the vast majority of these light soldiers fought with muskets. Light infantrymen were chosen for being small (the average voltiguer was only about 5'3"), agile, intelligent, and independent-mined. These traits were essential for light infantry tactics.

Light infantry* usually fought in open order, giving individual light infantrymen much more independence than their comrades in line regiments. The smallest element of a light infantry company was the two-man pair. One man loaded with the other man fired. This allowed a light infantry unit to keep up a steady, rolling fire and made sure that one man could always cover his partner's advance or retreat. So small unit tactics were very much a thing during the 18th century, if only amongst somewhat specialized units.

*line infantry units, most notably Russian Fusilier regiments could also fight as light infantry as needed, although this wasn't their primary mission.

All more or less true.

#2 happened on one occasion. During one of Clive's battles in India, a stray spark from a musket allegedly ignited one sepoy's cartridge box, starting a chain reaction that caused every other soldier's open cartridge box to explode!

#3 is supported by several examples. One or two successful volleys could completely destroy an unfortunate regiment. In one volley at Fontenoy in 1745, the British Guards brigade killed 500+ French guardsmen, routing an entire regiment and forcing the French brigade to retire. Two British volleys at Quebec in 1759 shattered French troops on the plains of Abraham (evidently Wolfe had ordered British soldiers to double-shot their muskets)

Double shot = 2 musket balls, double charge? Or what

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Luigi Thirty posted:

:wtc: I don't understand any of this, at all. Just: USS Iowa, 1989, what the gently caress?

No loving kidding. The insanity just gets deeper once the investigations start.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

A Reenactor Guy Who Seemed to Know His poo poo once told me that they'd use a less than a double charge to fire a musket loaded with two balls. All that powder with all that weight of lead in front of it could exert a shitton of force on the barrel, so they'd use 2 balls and 1.25-1.75 loads of powder. That'd reduce the effective range but reduce chances of gun going boom in hands. No idea if he actually knew his poo poo, but he seemed confident.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grand Prize Winner posted:

A Reenactor Guy Who Seemed to Know His poo poo once told me that they'd use a less than a double charge to fire a musket loaded with two balls. All that powder with all that weight of lead in front of it could exert a shitton of force on the barrel, so they'd use 2 balls and 1.25-1.75 loads of powder. That'd reduce the effective range but reduce chances of gun going boom in hands. No idea if he actually knew his poo poo, but he seemed confident.

The tendency of people to load random poo poo in with the ball also dramatically decreased the accuracy of the weapon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Extremely good read: British Napoleonic Infantry Tactics 1792-1815

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

An Anglo-French conference at Chantilly leads to an agreement for a combined attack on Vimy Ridge (by the French) and Aubers Ridge (by the BEF). Herbert Sulzbach goes back in the vague direction of action, the Friendly Feldwebel is allowed out of the fire trenches and back to the second line, where he finds things just as unhealthy, and back in Blighty the FA Cup semi-finals have been played.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Am I seeing that right? Is that American soldier showing off his presumably captured katana? That's kinda amazing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tomn posted:

Am I seeing that right? Is that American soldier showing off his presumably captured katana? That's kinda amazing.

Those are Russian (Guards) cavalry, it's their sabre the GI is looking at. I think you can see the empty sheath on the left side of the Russian holding it.

Btw. the cavalryman holding the sabre looks very young.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 29, 2015

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Tomn posted:

It is definitly a Cavalry sabre.

Trying to calculate the odds of some Russian on the Elbe having a captured Katana from Kalkhin Gol.

Pretty drat hilariously low (I really dont think that the RKKA let them keep captured enemy equipment, + the issue of essentially surviving the entirety of WW2 as a Russian soldier) sadly, would have made for some awesome fraternisation though.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
I'm reading A People's History of Sports in the United States by Dave Zirin, and there's a tiny military history component to the book. It's written in the mold of Howard Zinn, and Zirin briefly covers American mutinies and fragging during the Vietnam War. While I'm familiar with the topic, it's only on the most superficial level. Can anyone recommend some good books on soldiers' disobedience during the war?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

Two musket balls.

Very similar to the "buck and ball" load of a musket ball and three buck shot used in smoothbores during the American Civil War.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

brozozo posted:

I'm reading A People's History of Sports in the United States by Dave Zirin, and there's a tiny military history component to the book. It's written in the mold of Howard Zinn, and Zirin briefly covers American mutinies and fragging during the Vietnam War. While I'm familiar with the topic, it's only on the most superficial level. Can anyone recommend some good books on soldiers' disobedience during the war?

The Putney debates are pretty worth looking into, and The Many Headed Hydra is pretty worth looking into which touches on some of those themes.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
There are so many books about bad behaviour in Vietnam it's hard to know where to start.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Cool thread by a guy that has a Kettenkrad and a bunch of other cool poo poo

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So turns out the third Ki61 still owns, it really just needed a couple upgrades. Semper Ki

vv I will let you know that this is a completely intentional post here are my historical sources my dear colleague

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 29, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

So turns out the third Ki61 still owns, it really just needed a couple upgrades. Semper Ki

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638861

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Well it did get cannons in the 3rd model so it was much more powerful than its MG-only armed predecessors.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I'm reading about the USS Iowa disaster on Wiki.

:psyduck: How did someone get away with performing unauthorized gunnery experiments for months on a battleship? Who was this guy?

E: oh I read the rest of the article and :wtc: I don't understand any of this, at all. Just: USS Iowa, 1989, what the gently caress?

It gets less surprising once your starting assumption is that officers in any given military are incompetent and/or corrupt.

e: US Navy Report Concludes Evil Nancy Boy Killed Self, Others With Radio Shack Detonator in (Gay) Lovers' Quarrel

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 30, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reading that article is a whole lot of :psyduck: like Miceli deliberately sabotaging and impeding the re-investigation and the various experiments with the powder bags.

I understand that charge and ammo are separate for various reasons on guns that large, but I'm kind of surprised that the same device used to load the shell is also used to load the powder. The descriptions make it seem similar to a fork hoist or digger where pushing the lever further = more rammage, which seems insane when dealing with forces like that. I would've expected them to have one lever for loading a shell and another for loading the bags because (I assume) the force required would be completely different.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wow that is some crazy stuff. So according to the Navy, gay people cause turrets to explode?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This is what happens when your naval traditions don't include sodomy, bigads :britain:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

If homosexuals cause freak explosions the battle of Jutland has a good alt-history.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Disinterested posted:

If homosexuals cause freak explosions the battle of Jutland has a good alt-history.

Skagerrakslacht, more like Fagerrakslacht amirite :smuggo:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Disinterested posted:

If gay black Hitler was in charge of the High Seas Fleet.......

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

What I'm saying is Beatty must have really putted from the rough.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

There's another of those maps that I know y'all love so much as the French launch the Battle of Woevre. (Just guess what happens.) Sir Ian Hamilton spends some quality time with his diary, as his subordinates write to him with extremely pessimistic appraisals of the situation. The Colonel of the Sportsman's Battalion shows that there's nothing new under the sun by complaining about the lack of patriotism being shown by football players, and we're looking at some stories of officers' training. Or, as it turns out, the lack of same.

Finally, do you need a typewriter? If so, then boy, this is the update for you!!!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kaal posted:

Haha don't worry about it too much. Between Spring Break and Grey Hunter's WWI game, I think that a lot of the folks who post in this thread have a lot of competition for their time this week.

Don't forget Pillars of Eternity, a fantasy RPG game featuring psychics running around with arquebuses.

e: also one of the most fun party setups is pike and shot, except everyone is carrying pikes AND the shot

Eej fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 30, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eej posted:

Don't forget Pillars of Eternity, a fantasy RPG game featuring psychics running around with arquebuses.

e: also one of the most fun party setups is pike and shot, except everyone is carrying pikes AND the shot

I would incidentally like to thank the thread for providing an ample source of seventeenth-century names for my hirelings.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wow that is some crazy stuff. So according to the Navy, gay people cause turrets to explode?

Does it come as a shock that a gay man can make a large hard thing blow? Check your CIS navy privilege.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Arquebus would be a hilarious first name for a posh English child.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's either that or leave him and the turret on an island.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Eej posted:

It even has a weapon specialization: Soldier with among other things, great swords, pikes and arquebuses, frilly hats and breastplates.

Just need to find a moiron or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Does it come as a shock that a gay man can make a large hard thing blow? Check your CIS navy privilege.

It would be an NCIS privilege in the sense that the USS Iowa case would finally make for an episode worth watching.

Fangz posted:

If gay black Hitler was in charge of the High Seas Fleet.......

Toward the end of WW2 White Hetero Hitler spilled his seamen on the ground, so presumably GBH's navy would have gone down with all guns blazing?

• Locked thread