Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

I love you.

We had an Aikido guy at work. He was a bit of a weird dude but for him it wasn't something he did as a combat discipline but something he did for exercise and for the ~samurai spirit~ of it. He seemed to have a pretty clear head about it. I went to their practice once though and it was some weird poo poo. The hakamas are cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I mean all that samurai spirit garbage is not my thing and I consider it a waste of time.But I consider aikido something like a master to the usual triangle or MT/BJJ/Wrestling undergrad.Something you do when smashing a dude is not really advisable, those wristlocks and poo poo look useful when you want to defend yourself to a basic level and don't want to deal with the legal consequences of landing good MT offense on a dude.

Or I've seen a lot of Steven Seagal and I lust for that sweet hakama action.

edit:Reviewing some Segal footage he TOTALLY got hair plugs sometime before 1990.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 28, 2015

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
The story goes that Aikido's founder would only take on students who already had black belts in Judo or Karate because Aikido was meant to be a supplement to other styles. Its principles are only useful if you already know how to fight, so teaching it to people who can't punch or takedown doesn't really work.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
This conversation reminds me of the time my teacher turned the class over to one of the teachers who was a bouncer. Some interesting stuff.

There's also a vid somewhere of a BJJ brown belt in a police seminar. It doesn't really take them that long to restrain him. Of course, they're playing by 'their' rules, so it's two on one and they're doing poo poo like focusing on preventing him from maybe going for a knife and their ultimate goal was to get him arms back for the cuffs.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I always say akido as kind of cool in the supplemental aspect as mentioned. Yeah some cool joint wrist locks or whatever. But by itself...?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lamadrid posted:

I mean all that samurai spirit garbage is not my thing and I consider it a waste of time.But I consider aikido something like a master to the usual triangle or MT/BJJ/Wrestling undergrad.Something you do when smashing a dude is not really advisable, those wristlocks and poo poo look useful when you want to defend yourself to a basic level and don't want to deal with the legal consequences of landing good MT offense on a dude.

I assure you that the legal consequences of breaking a dude's wrist are not substantially different than those of breaking his jaw.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Space human being posted:

The story goes that Aikido's founder would only take on students who already had black belts in Judo or Karate because Aikido was meant to be a supplement to other styles. Its principles are only useful if you already know how to fight, so teaching it to people who can't punch or takedown doesn't really work.

I'm also not really surprised it isn't ever seen as a successful fighting art because it almost universally isn't trained against resisting opponents.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

fatherdog posted:

I assure you that the legal consequences of breaking a dude's wrist are not substantially different than those of breaking his jaw.

I wouldn't know.Never been in a fight in 29 years in this gay earth and already perfected my opening move: Not being the slowest one.If only I could carry smoke bombs or something, maybe ninjitsu have some merits after all.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 29, 2015

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
There are these three old clips about two dudes playing with aikido techniques

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreuuPm24UI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1w-8XhXutI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Q8ShKpM1Q

I guess with wrist locks and poo poo you should take the catch wrestling mentality: you can always get something and sometimes it's a wrist or a couple of fingers or whatever else. Also with lovely opponents you can do all kinds of crap, like you can throw dudes with only the upper body motion of tai-otoshi without the leg position, but once the other guy gets to a certain level it becomes increasingly harder. Aikido seems to be a lot of those techniques for lovely opponents.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is no-gi judo a thing in this world? Like tournaments with judo rules but no gi? I just realized it would be amazing.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ManOfTheYear posted:

There are these three old clips about two dudes playing with aikido techniques

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreuuPm24UI

I'm the guy wearing boxing gloves trying not to hit the guy turning his back to me

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is no-gi judo a thing in this world? Like tournaments with judo rules but no gi? I just realized it would be amazing.

There are some people trying to get no-gi Judo going but it has never really become a thing. If you're just looking for big no gi throws Greco-Roman has a lot of them.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

There are some people trying to get no-gi Judo going but it has never really become a thing. If you're just looking for big no gi throws Greco-Roman has a lot of them.

Suplexes, hip throws, and Karelin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emma69ULXPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHSPsj-FlwQ

(apologies for the poo poo soundtracks)

When I was training in Tulsa I had a training partner that had trained at the OTC for Greco. Dude was a loving badass. Being in Oklahoma there were so many guys that wrestled in high school that thought they were hot poo poo and thought they could handle any BJJ guy on the mat. So my coach would just tell them to go train with this guy. You would see these guys loving fly through the air. One time we were laughing about it and he said, "all these guys think they're bad cause they can shoot, but I can throw." (the guy was also a Secret Service agent and was generally near the top of the not to be hosed with list)

I love Greco and wish more people would pay attention to it, but in the US more focus tends to go on freestyle because the name college guys that people know (Sanderson, Burroughs, Dake, etc) make the jump to freestyle. The Greco guys are usually lower level collegiate guys who crossover after their folk/freestyle careers flame out. Consequently, the US only has a few Olympic golds in Greco and people don't pay much attention to it.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

ch3cooh posted:

wrestling

Wrestling has always been a big "wait what's going on?" thing for me. Last summer I was grappling with a couple of armenian dudes and one small dude was apparently a pretty good wrestler and he slammed the bejesus out of me. I've been doing judo for 8 years but going no-gi with a wrestler dude was absolutely not my favor.

I have always thought of wrestling being very strength/conditioning based sport, like you can't do it without immense strength. Is this true?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

I love Greco and wish more people would pay attention to it, but in the US more focus tends to go on freestyle because the name college guys that people know (Sanderson, Burroughs, Dake, etc) make the jump to freestyle. The Greco guys are usually lower level collegiate guys who crossover after their folk/freestyle careers flame out. Consequently, the US only has a few Olympic golds in Greco and people don't pay much attention to it.

I've never understood why USA Judo doesn't have someone at every USA wrestling event talking to the guys who take 2nd or 3rd place, trying to get them to move over to Judo. There's, at most, a couple dozen guys in the USA training at Judo as hard as thousands of guys are training wrestling in college every year. And the money doing Judo can't be any worse than the money doing Greco, and can't be too far below what you get as a non-premier freestyle guy.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Wrestling has always been a big "wait what's going on?" thing for me. Last summer I was grappling with a couple of armenian dudes and one small dude was apparently a pretty good wrestler and he slammed the bejesus out of me. I've been doing judo for 8 years but going no-gi with a wrestler dude was absolutely not my favor.

I have always thought of wrestling being very strength/conditioning based sport, like you can't do it without immense strength. Is this true?

It's not true at all. I mean it helps but technique is just as important in wrestling as in any other martial art.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ManOfTheYear posted:

This is true of any combat sport. Try competing in judo at a high level without being extremely fit and strong for your weight class and see how far you go.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

1st AD posted:

It's not true at all. I mean it helps but technique is just as important in wrestling as in any other martial art.

Conditioning is much bigger in wrestling than most martial arts though. Having wrestled, done Judo, and done BJJ I'd say wrestling is by far the most conditioning intense of the three. Judo is comparable but a step below and BJJ isn't even on the scale compared to wrestling. Yeah, the top BJJ guys have really good conditioning, but even if you have average fitness you can roll BJJ just fine. If you have average fitness and try to wrestle you'll keel over in the first period.

I've never boxed so I can't speak for that, though I know it is pretty far up there on the conditioning scale.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Conditioning is much bigger in wrestling than most martial arts though. Having wrestled, done Judo, and done BJJ I'd say wrestling is by far the most conditioning intense of the three. Judo is comparable but a step below and BJJ isn't even on the scale compared to wrestling. Yeah, the top BJJ guys have really good conditioning, but even if you have average fitness you can roll BJJ just fine. If you have average fitness and try to wrestle you'll keel over in the first period.

I've never boxed so I can't speak for that, though I know it is pretty far up there on the conditioning scale.

I think conditioning comes with wrestling because there really aren't hobbyist wrestling clubs, so if you're wrestling in high school or college you are competing constantly whereas you can do BJJ entirely at your leisure, never compete ever, and the classes are structured in such a way that you're not pushing your body super hard.

And my point was that wrestling is just as much about technique as Judo is since that guy who got mauled by a wrestler seems to be blaming his getting owned on superior physicality, when in reality the guy he rolled with probably is stronger/faster/better conditioned AND a better grappler.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 29, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

1st AD posted:

I think conditioning comes with wrestling because there really aren't hobbyist wrestling clubs, so if you're wrestling in high school or college you are competing constantly whereas you can do BJJ entirely at your leisure, never compete ever, and the classes are structured in such a way that you're not pushing your body super hard.

Exactly. When you look at actual competition, EVERYONE doing judo, BJJ, or wrestling at a high level is incredibly strong. And if BJJ matches were 3 minutes instead of 10 you'd likely see a similar pace and intensity to wrestling as well.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 29, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

1st AD posted:

I'm not disagreeing that technique is important. My point is that even at the middle school JV level the level of conditioning required in wrestling is significantly higher than pretty much anything else. If you're in decent shape and want to do a couple five minute rolls in BJJ then you can, there are lots of periods of little action and when you are moving it isn't your whole body exerting effort except for occasional scrambles. If you're in decent shape and wanted to try wrestling, you'd have to develop a better base of conditioning before you could even bother trying to do any "goes", much less a full match. Your technique only matters if you have the conditioning to perform it more than 20 seconds in.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Hey guys, cross posting this from the PSP grappling thread:

The Pan Am games are coming to my home town this summer and I'm looking at purchasing tickets to judo or wrestling. Are there any grapplers/weight classes in particular that I should be scoping out? I'm a BJJ guy so I don't know poo poo about the Pan Am scene for either sport, but I would sure love to see some high level man hugging.

Any suggestions?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Can anyone suggest a protein powder? Conditioning is going great, and right now I'm trying to work on my diet. Last one I tried tasted like rear end, so I'm up for suggestions.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

My favorite is Isopure Toasted Coconut. Tasty on its own and tastes great blended in anything.

Does anyone have any advice for taping/wrapping an injured foot? I think I tore some ligaments while running after a really hard hour of rolling and it hurts my arch to walk normally.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I know very little about wrestling but I've been really obsessed with Cary Kolat's youtube stuff lately. I think it really appeals to the sense of aesthetics I've developed through Judo and BJJ. My perspective is that there are many ways to take an opponent to the ground, far fewer ways to take them down without sacrificing the initiative, and even less ways to take people down while actually being able to capitalize on said initiative and move straight into an effective control position (ie a pin that exposes their neck to your choking arm).

I feel like a relatively complete nogi throwing game could be built around Marcelo's 2on1 routine (arm drag/double leg/1leg x sweep) combined with Kolat's single leg to hip toss, far leg fireman's carry to ankle lace, and high crotch to back arch.

This idea is totally still in the development stages so if anyone has input for me please don't hold back.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 29, 2015

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Can anyone suggest a protein powder? Conditioning is going great, and right now I'm trying to work on my diet. Last one I tried tasted like rear end, so I'm up for suggestions.

BSN Syntha-6 Chocolate is the best taste I've found so far.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Verisimilidude posted:

Optimum nutrition Whey protein is tasty when mixed with water and loving good when mixed with milk. A 5 pound bucket will also last you for a year or more depending on how much of it you use per week.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

This is because most martial arts advertise that "size doesn't matter" for marketing purposes, and people point to that Mifune video while ignoring that even Judo has weight divisions.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Space human being posted:

This is because most martial arts advertise that "size doesn't matter" for marketing purposes, and people point to that Mifune video while ignoring that even Judo has weight divisions.

And there's a reason the most dominant Judoka at the moment is 6'8" 282lbs. And the guy who just won double gold at Pans (Faria) is 200+ lbs.

Superior technique can definitely allow a smaller person to defeat a bigger person. However, when technique is equal size is going to play a huge advantage. See also: Garcia, Gabi

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A fight is like a set of scales, with different weights on each side. There's a weight for strength, and a weight for technique, and a weight for speed, and a weight for luck, etc, etc, etc. Just because the strength weight is heavier on their side than it is on yours doesn't mean they'll win, but it does mean that a couple of the weights on your side had better be heavier to compensate.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fatherdog posted:

A fight is like a set of scales, with different weights on each side. There's a weight for strength, and a weight for technique, and a weight for speed, and a weight for luck, etc, etc, etc. Just because the strength weight is heavier on their side than it is on yours doesn't mean they'll win, but it does mean that a couple of the weights on your side had better be heavier to compensate.

Fun fact: on the Moon, your technique only weighs one tenth of what it does on Earth

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fun fact: on the Moon, your technique only weighs one tenth of what it does on Earth

In zero gravity mount and guard are the same thing :catdrugs:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Pff I can't believe this guy's a black belt and he's never even heard of centrifuge guard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

In zero gravity, everything is a takedown because you are in a state of constantly falling :vince:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

Fatherdog dropping truth bombs.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Verisimilidude posted:

The U.S. MYPROTEIN site has 40% off sales often because they're new to US and even without still great deals. Quality stuff

1st AD posted:

Does anyone have any advice for taping/wrapping an injured foot? I think I tore some ligaments while running after a really hard hour of rolling and it hurts my arch to walk normally.

could be plantar fasciitis. Massage that poo poo with some namman Muay or just in general. Roll your arch over a frozen water bottle or cold can etc. There's specific massage rolling tools for it. Get some good stretching in

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 29, 2015

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Stepped up my training a bit with some local pros, first training session, sprained my thumb...

I really am not cut out for any kind of physical activity despite willing and loving to spa.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

fatherdog posted:

:aaaaa:

Wonder how the judges will score that one

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

On the topic of Aikido, as someone who studied Tae Kwon Do and Olympic wrestling beforehand, it's definitely fantastic as a supplemental art. It's made me think and rethink throws and grabs in ways I never looked at them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

willie_dee posted:

I really am not cut out for any kind of physical activity despite willing and loving to spa.

This typo is the best typo because when I first read it I thought you meant to type "spa" and meant you just loved hitting up the sauna/steam room after working out, maybe getting a massage the next day to work out the kinks.

Speaking of, I'm really glad the steam room at the gym I go to on non-BJJ days is co-ed. Because it means the room isn't just full of wrinkly old man balls on full display.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 30, 2015

• Locked thread