Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
All I'ma say about Evangelion is that it officially joined the ranks of speculative future sci fi that now takes place in the past this year. THIRD IMPACT IS COMING, Y'ALL. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I volunteer to die horribly in the name of humanity. Better to die psychotic than to go gently into that good night.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
It's a great idea for a show, he has decent ideas, and he earnestly tries not to be a shithead (other than poking COD bro types, which he's reigned in.) I like Moviebob, but he's hard to defend because he's an arch-goon with embarassing skits.

I like SFdebris, too, but he's hard to recommend. When he knows enough to have a shtick, or talk about production history, or do Adult Talk (eg talking about parenthood in that Voyager episode with the Doctor's holo-family) he's great. When he doesn't have that it's snarky synopses (which is a common internet critic format), which feels lazy. I suspect people recommend him anime stuff despite his unfamiliarity just to see him be perplexed.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Jay O posted:

All I'ma say about Evangelion is that it officially joined the ranks of speculative future sci fi that now takes place in the past this year. THIRD IMPACT IS COMING, Y'ALL. :stonk:
I sent that exact screen cap to a bunch of friends on New Years Day. :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Jay O posted:

Hopefully I can survive long enough to get into the goddamn robot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Compendium posted:

Bandai's funded a five-year project to try and build a full-scale working Gundam. Frankly it's even-money on a teenager stealing it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hobo By Design posted:

It's a great idea for a show, he has decent ideas, and he earnestly tries not to be a shithead (other than poking COD bro types, which he's reigned in.) I like Moviebob, but he's hard to defend because he's an arch-goon with embarassing skits.

I like SFdebris, too, but he's hard to recommend. When he knows enough to have a shtick, or talk about production history, or do Adult Talk (eg talking about parenthood in that Voyager episode with the Doctor's holo-family) he's great. When he doesn't have that it's snarky synopses (which is a common internet critic format), which feels lazy. I suspect people recommend him anime stuff despite his unfamiliarity just to see him be perplexed.

It's funny, I really don't enjoy much of SFdebris when he goes into full on Adult Talk mode. The reason is that I've always felt that his serious digressions are good for a couple of minutes, but they almost always shake out to be far longer than that. He has good and salient points, but I also think he desperately needs to edit for brevity so it doesn't become a slog. I love when he talks about production history, or when he analyzes the structure and writing of the show, and I actually like his style of snark so to me he'd be pretty much perfect if his serious digressions were significantly pithier. Maybe it is lazy to take potshots at a bad (or good) episode, but to me when he extends a point for a couple of minutes to throw out a bunch of examples it feels a little forced and to me that's even worse. Sometimes it works, episodes like The Most Toys and Passing Through Gethsemane a movie like Dark City had really good in depth segments, but I feel the discussion of history in Living Witness was really far too long and unfortunately the model for a lot of serious segments.

As for Moviebob if he cut his skits and focuses things down I think his show would be so much better. I dunno, maybe if he restricted himself to roughly 6 minutes videos made entirely out of snippets of movies and TV shows and comic strips done in voiceover with clip art he'd be a lot better.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jay O posted:

2015 is the year of the Hoverboard and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Kyle continues teaching us how to speak movie. In this one we learn about Mise En Scene.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

I've found that reading the replies for SFDebris reviews on Channel Awesome tend toward amazing. Never before would I have thought DS9 was the worst Trek, with a distinct lack of characters. Among the reasons the characters suck is "Kieko's blatant feminism". Also Ferengi not being 100% about profit all day every day is apparently dumb.

It's a view into an alternate universe of near complete wrongness.

Goon (or goon-type) folks try and forget that among your average Trek fan, DS9 is considered the worst Trek. The Trek threads are littered with this form of culture shock: "I talked to someone who loves Trek, but always rolls their eyes when I suggest watching DS9! :qq:" If there's any alternative universe at play, it's one where DS9 isn't the black sheep of Trek.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MisterBibs posted:

Goon (or goon-type) folks try and forget that among your average Trek fan, DS9 is considered the worst Trek. The Trek threads are littered with this form of culture shock: "I talked to someone who loves Trek, but always rolls their eyes when I suggest watching DS9! :qq:" If there's any alternative universe at play, it's one where DS9 isn't the black sheep of Trek.

Seriously, in a world where both Enterprise ans Voyager exist, DS9 is considered the black sheep of the franchise?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My dad hates DS9, and while I suspect a lot of it is because he's pretty racist, he also spent a few days rewatching Voyager recently, so at least 50% of it is terrible taste.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Seriously, in a world where both Enterprise ans Voyager exist, DS9 is considered the black sheep of the franchise?

Michael Piller's book about the making of Insurrection (blocked from publication because the content upset some people at Paramount, but you can find a pdf online easily enough) has a passage explaining that Voyager came about because people didn't like DS9; it was giving TNG fans what they (thought they) wanted, which boiled down to a) an exploratory ship; b) no meaningful conflict between the characters; and c) a functional continuity reset at the end of every episode.

As is often remarked, Voyager had the potential to be even darker than DS9; in TNG, even when things got bad, you knew that the Federation and Starfleet were at Picard's back, but VOY didn't have any of that. They're stuck far from home, with no way to refuel or resupply, with a crew cobbled together from two factions who are supposed to despise one another. But none of that came through in the finished product, because it wasn't what anyone was interested in.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 29, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

e X posted:

Seriously, in a world where both Enterprise and Voyager exist, DS9 is considered the black sheep of the franchise?

Basically, yes. I don't see why it's so surprising. DS9 was fundamentally different than any Trek, before or after.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of SF debris, DS9 and people who hate it, you should try watching Confused Matthew's "review" of Season 7 of DS9, by which I mean he has a temper tantrum about the finale of season six and space satan Dukat.
Or you could check out any of his other videos as well if you want to see a person so tone deaf he makes Nostalgia critic sound like Mozart. Lion King, The Incredibles and Up! Are all apparently terrible children's films because they deal with death at some point.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
He is called Confused Matthew because human storytelling and emotions perplex and anger him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it weird that he and SF debris are colleagues when Chuck does research and generall knows what he's talking about (self professed anime ignorance excepted), but Matthew just shouts and complains ARE YOU HAVING FUN YET KIDS?

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Confused Matthew wouldn't get under my skin so much if he hadn't made multiple claims of being objective in his reviews. It usually boils down to something like "2001: A Space Odyssey is a bad movie because OBJECTIVELY it doesn't mean anything" and I hate him for it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My knowledge of Confused Matthew is comprised entirely of the facts he hated The Avengers movie and an all-time champion bad poster over on ADTRW considers his words to be gospel.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I enjoyed DS9 and TNG the most respectively.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

poparena posted:

Confused Matthew wouldn't get under my skin so much if he hadn't made multiple claims of being objective in his reviews. It usually boils down to something like "2001: A Space Odyssey is a bad movie because OBJECTIVELY it doesn't mean anything" and I hate him for it.

This kid sounds real special. Why would anyone want to associate with this guy?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Omnicrom posted:

My knowledge of Confused Matthew is comprised entirely of the facts he hated The Avengers movie and an all-time champion bad poster over on ADTRW considers his words to be gospel.

Tell me more about the latter :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Omnicrom posted:

My knowledge of Confused Matthew is comprised entirely of the facts he hated The Avengers movie

That's a completely reasonable position to take, even if he is a moron.

e: I only watched his Spirited Away review, and he couldn't wrap his head around the idea of there being spirits and gods.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Compendium posted:

Sure, as long as your mom's OK with it.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

poparena posted:

Confused Matthew is objective the same way Moviebob is Objective. He is a relic from the Post AVGN boom where everyone was a caustic reviewer who hated everything.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

poparena posted:

I watched the first part of the 2001 review, and mostly he just complained about how slow the film is, and that the film is bloated because of all the space-travel. I don't really want to watch the rest, but does he ever acknowledge the fact that it's based off an Arthur C. Clarke story?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PassTheRemote posted:

Confused Matthew is objective the same way Moviebob is Objective. He is a relic from the Post AVGN boom where everyone was a caustic reviewer who hated everything.

Not that I am necessarily defending them, but the simple fact is that people would rather watch videos of someone talking about why they hate something rather than why they like it. There's more room for comedy material when you're explaining why you dislike something, and speaking from my own experience, explaining why you don't like something is a lot easier than explaining why you do. It's no surprise that negative reviewers draw larger audiences, even if a lot of them kinda suck at what they do.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Also I don't think Moviebob claims to be objective. In fact, I remember a couple of his opinion pieces on The Escapist being about how "objectivity" is kind of a dumb thing to strive for when your job is to give your opinion on things.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jay O posted:

We are also getting pretty close to when Akira is set too

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

Not that I am necessarily defending them, but the simple fact is that people would rather watch videos of someone talking about why they hate something rather than why they like it. There's more room for comedy material when you're explaining why you dislike something, and speaking from my own experience, explaining why you don't like something is a lot easier than explaining why you do. It's no surprise that negative reviewers draw larger audiences, even if a lot of them kinda suck at what they do.

It's interesting to watch reviewers whose styles have more or less been relatively uninfluenced by others and see how they work. Yahtzee, for example, is just as capable of making a negative review of a game as entertaining as a positive review of a game, and hell, at a glance you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, just because his style is so tailored towards making jokes at the expense of the game that he'll do it for every game. As another example, Good Bad Flicks goes into most movies with the expectation that there is something there to enjoy, and even when he doesn't end up liking the movie, he'll find something in there that's worth appreciating. And while RiffTrax aren't exactly movie reviewers, they do have the chops to make even good movies funnier to watch while they joke about it.

Really, I think finding an audience has less to do with being negative than it does with being entertaining. A lot of people just so happen to find that it's easier to be entertaining when you're being negative.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

New One Hit Wonderland is up for Todd patreons. It's Blue by Eiffel 65. You know

i'm blue da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die

EDIT: If I had the money then I'd love to suggest Black Betty by Spiderbait just because it'll be worth him going through their past songs. Like you'd expect them to be a alternative rock band but instead most of their more successful songs in Australia were pop-electronica.

I'd also love Tomorrow by Silverchair since they were like 15 when it topped the charts and they look back on it unfavourably.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 30, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Testekill posted:

New One Hit Wonderland is up for Todd patreons. It's Blue by Eiffel 65. You know

i'm blue da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die

EDIT: If I had the money then I'd love to suggest Black Betty by Spiderbait just because it'll be worth him going through their past songs. Like you'd expect them to be a alternative rock band but instead most of their more successful songs in Australia were pop-electronica.

I'd also love Tomorrow by Silverchair since they were like 15 when it topped the charts and they look back on it unfavourably.

Is anyone else who gives Todd money on Patreon having trouble accessing this one? I typed in the password he gave, but it doesn't seem to work.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is anyone else who gives Todd money on Patreon having trouble accessing this one? I typed in the password he gave, but it doesn't seem to work.
I'm not able to access it either. :(

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've been waiting for Todd to do that song for ages and he finally did it. I can't wait to see it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Testekill posted:

AH gently caress. That'll be in my head for the rest of the week. :argh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Testekill posted:

I think Anna's Song was as big/bigger of a hit from these guys, so they wouldn't count as a One Hit Wonder.

gently caress Anna's Song, for the record.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Thunder in Paradise 3! Hulk Hogan fights Fidel Castro!
http://phelous.com/2015/03/30/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-thunder-in-paradise-3/

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've been waiting for Todd to do that song for ages and he finally did it. I can't wait to see it.
Same here, especially since Eiffel 65 was weird even for 1999/2000. One of the songs on their first album was about the Playstation for god's sake.

P. L. A. Y. S. T. A. T. I. O. N.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Celery Face posted:

Same here, especially since Eiffel 65 was weird even for 1999/2000. One of the songs on their first album was about the Playstation for god's sake.

How is that weird? Playstation was huge in 1999/2000. If it was about the Ngage i can see how it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cyron posted:

How is that weird? Playstation was huge in 1999/2000. If it was about the Ngage i can see how it's weird.

I would love to hear a song about the NGage.

• Locked thread