Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Kvlt! posted:

Any movies about people struggling with sobriety/addiction? I'm on my 10th day sober right now and struggling, and for some reason seeing other people struggle helps. I've already seen Leaving Las Vegas and Requiem for a Dream, though hopefully movies with more of a focus on alcohol than drugs.

Days of Wine and Roses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kvlt! posted:

Any reccomendations for romantic movies with a dream like, stylized quality to them. While not a "romance" movie, The Great Gatsby (2013), is kind of what I'm looking for.

Days of Heaven is on Netflix.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

Kvlt! posted:

Any movies about people struggling with sobriety/addiction? I'm on my 10th day sober right now and struggling, and for some reason seeing other people struggle helps. I've already seen Leaving Las Vegas and Requiem for a Dream, though hopefully movies with more of a focus on alcohol than drugs.

Blackbird is on Netflix Instant. Great stuff with Britta Britta'ing her life, a great male lead and also some Michael Shannon.

More about dope, but addiction is addiction, bro. Hour at a time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

someusername posted:

Blackbird is on Netflix Instant. Great stuff with Britta Britta'ing her life, a great male lead and also some Michael Shannon.

More about dope, but addiction is addiction, bro. Hour at a time.

Googled this and got a movie about a young gay youth in an inner city neighborhood and got very confused, then realized you are talking about the 2007 one. I'll check it out for sure!

Thank you for all the suggestions on everything everybody! I've got a lot of movies to watch!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Are any of the old Nazisploitation movies worth watching?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

Watch Ilsa and decide if you like it or not, if yes you'll love em all if not you'll hate em all.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Recommend me a very sad movie. Language doesn't matter, I haven't seen many tear-jerkers either, but I love movies. Just something to let the water-works fly!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Recommend me a very sad movie. Language doesn't matter, I haven't seen many tear-jerkers either, but I love movies. Just something to let the water-works fly!
Blue Valentine, Schindler's List, Boys Don't Cry.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

The Field

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Grave of the Fireflies.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Happy Together, Dancer in the Dark

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Love Liza, Synechdoche NY, Umberto D.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Going to second Blue Valentine. One of the most soul-crushing movies. Very well done, and by the end you're just begging for something to happen and you're not sure if it will or not.

I found The Best Offer to be a very sad movie as well, though perhaps not in the traditional way.

Leaving Las Vegas

Requiem for a Dream

Trainspotting (especially that scene)

Never Let Me Go

Closer had an exert from it used in a depressive-suicidal black metal song so I guess it could be considered pretty sad.

50/50 for some light-hearted sadness

Hotel Rwanda

Half Nelson

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 24, 2015

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
trainspotting is a comedy

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Slaapaav posted:

trainspotting is a comedy

It is, but it doesn't mean it's not heartbreaking and pretty loving sad at points.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Human Tornada posted:

Ilsa's good.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Dear Zachary

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

The Bad Sleep Well

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Jesus' Son
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
The Sweet Hereafter

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Recommend me movies where the protagonist has to travel around the globe like Tintin, Indiana Jones, and even the Ninth Gate. You know, adventure poo poo. The more fleshed out and detailed the travelled-to place is the better.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

thehandtruck posted:

Recommend me movies where the protagonist has to travel around the globe like Tintin, Indiana Jones, and even the Ninth Gate. You know, adventure poo poo. The more fleshed out and detailed the travelled-to place is the better.

Secret of the Incas

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

thehandtruck posted:

The Man Who Would Be King is probably one of the best adventure movies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thehandtruck posted:

Almost every single James Bond movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Best inspirational/underdog/comeback/motivating movie, but not out rightly so. Something that makes the struggle and comeback seem more subtle rather than an outright "HEY THIS IS AN INSPIRATIONAL MOVIE LIKE ROCKY OR INVINCIBLE". Something like Warrior maybe?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Best inspirational/underdog/comeback/motivating movie, but not out rightly so. Something that makes the struggle and comeback seem more subtle rather than an outright "HEY THIS IS AN INSPIRATIONAL MOVIE LIKE ROCKY OR INVINCIBLE". Something like Warrior maybe?

Varsity Blues.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kvlt! posted:

Slumdog Millionaire? Sort of.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Kvlt! posted:

Murderball?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Skwirl posted:

Almost every single James Bond movie.

Ya but I've seen all those and the other 2 recommended. gently caress it guess I'll have to start reading again.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i watched a docu recently called maidentrip about a 14 year old dutch girl who wants to travel around the world alone in a sail boat. i found it a very good inspirational/underdog/comeback/motivating movie

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any recs for stuff that's heartwarming without being too schmaltzy? I'm struggling to think of examples of what I'm after, unfortunately. Stuff that's redemptive and uplifting without being totally unrealistic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chas McGill posted:

Any recs for stuff that's heartwarming without being too schmaltzy? I'm struggling to think of examples of what I'm after, unfortunately. Stuff that's redemptive and uplifting without being totally unrealistic.

The original Rocky.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Chas McGill posted:

watch a docu about something nice???

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Chas McGill posted:

Not sure that any of these are the best fit, but:
Lee Chang-dong's Poetry. Might be too depressing early on, though. (e: Actually maybe too depressing period. But it does have very touching, heartwarming moments within it)
Don Hertzfeldt's It's Such a Beautiful Day. Same thing here.
Interstellar, although that definitely falls prey to schmaltz.
Kiarostami's Close-Up actually feels like the best fit of the lot. A very, very humanist film. And even though the story seems totally unrealistic, it's actually a docudrama retelling a completely true story.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Chas McGill posted:

Mortified Nation probably fits. It's a documentary and it's pretty good!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

computer parts posted:

The original Rocky.
Yeah I think I'm up for that.

Allyn posted:

Not sure that any of these are the best fit, but:
Lee Chang-dong's Poetry. Might be too depressing early on, though. (e: Actually maybe too depressing period. But it does have very touching, heartwarming moments within it)
Don Hertzfeldt's It's Such a Beautiful Day. Same thing here.
Interstellar, although that definitely falls prey to schmaltz.
Kiarostami's Close-Up actually feels like the best fit of the lot. A very, very humanist film. And even though the story seems totally unrealistic, it's actually a docudrama retelling a completely true story.
Thanks for these. Close-Up looks really interesting.

User-Friendly posted:

Mortified Nation probably fits. It's a documentary and it's pretty good!
Watched that fairly recently. Good suggestion.

I ended up watching A Patch of Blue last night. Thought it was great, although reading about how Elizabeth Hartman killed herself at the age of 43 really bummed me out afterwards.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Chas McGill posted:

"Home" the new animated film is pretty good on that score. You know, really any movie with Rihanna in it as an actress, even playing herself, turns out to be a pretty good movie or at least not stink on ice as one might think. I own and rewatch Battleship, This Is the End and will certainly pick up Home.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm looking for science fiction movies with atmosphere. Like, weird poo poo in the background that is half explained or maybe not at all. Examples include anything by Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Twelve Monkeys) most of Ridley Scott's sci-fi movies (Alien, Blade Runner), Children of Men, The Fifth Element, Dune, and Chronicles of Riddick.

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 30, 2015

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm looking for science fiction movies with atmosphere. Like, weird poo poo in the background that is half explained or maybe not at all. Examples include anything by Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Twelve Monkeys) most of Ridley Scott's sci-fi movies (Alien, Blade Runner), Children of Men, The Fifth Element, Dune, and Chronicles of Riddick.
Russian science fiction movies are where it's at. Tarkovsky's Solaris and Stalker are both must watches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcglyhUre4w

Aleksei German's Hard to be a God is pretty insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ68bwBScRI

City of Lost Children is highly Gilliam influenced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYG9cXTSds

If you like anime Akira and Ghost in the Shell are both mindblowing classics with atmosphere to burn.

Zardoz.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

HP Hovercraft posted:

Russian science fiction movies are where it's at. Tarkovsky's Solaris and Stalker are both must watches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcglyhUre4w

Aleksei German's Hard to be a God is pretty insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ68bwBScRI

City of Lost Children is highly Gilliam influenced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYG9cXTSds

If you like anime Akira and Ghost in the Shell are both mindblowing classics with atmosphere to burn.

Zardoz.

Thanks! I haven't seen any of these. However, I did see the George Clooney Solaris and thought it was crap. Maybe because I had read the book, which I was a huge fan of. The movie just couldn't come close to how surreal the book is. Is the Russian adaptation any more faithful to the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Hardware because I love it.

• Locked thread