Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
They should call up Fate and see if he's still looking for a Negi clone to dissect or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

Chapter's out.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Kirie save-state hacking everything, regardless of the fact it's broken as hell and it kind of negates consequences. On the one hand, it does prevent Touta from falling into melodrama and potential character development, but on the other hand, it does make those moments when he does have to deal with those consequences more meaningful, like with the Santa arc when the whole Earth got zombified.

Pretty much, it allows us to avoid long drawn out moaping sessions that bog down stories like this (Naruto, basically) and actually gets to the points of pathos that matter that Kirire can't fix by save scumming.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"I had to save scum 6 times to beat this level and even then it was tight." :allears:

I think Kirie might be turning into my favorite character. At least until Karin returns and starts giving terrible advice to people again.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

chumbler posted:

"I had to save scum 6 times to beat this level and even then it was tight." :allears:

I think Kirie might be turning into my favorite character. At least until Karin returns and starts giving terrible advice to people again.

Yeah, between Kirie and Karin, I'm having a lot of fun reading this.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Kirie has grown on me a lot, though her whole tsundere schtick towards Touta can get tiring after a while. And Karin has great fights alongside her character interactions, so she's probably my second or third favorite character in the series.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
"I get the feeling that I'm the only one who can stop her."

Of course you are, you're the protagonist! What a silly line.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Allarion posted:

Chapter's out.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Kirie save-state hacking everything, regardless of the fact it's broken as hell and it kind of negates consequences. On the one hand, it does prevent Touta from falling into melodrama and potential character development, but on the other hand, it does make those moments when he does have to deal with those consequences more meaningful, like with the Santa arc when the whole Earth got zombified.

It's great that it happened inside the chapter this time instead of being a cliffhanger. Great action flow.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GhostStalker posted:

Kirie has grown on me a lot, though her whole tsundere schtick towards Touta can get tiring after a while.
I was gonna say that her attachment to Touta always felt artificial character development-wise, but then I realized that she's probably lived through a bunch of loops that got her to like him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've read farther in Negima, and I liked the Chao arc. It's interesting that even after seeing the post-masquerade world in UQ Holder, it's hard to say whether Chao was right or wrong. Clearly the world of UQ Holder has many undesirable qualities, but it also seems clear that those have more to do with extrapolation of present-day trends than anything involving magic. I do get the impression that the reasons for wizards staying hidden in Negima, as in most urban fantasy, are essentially selfish, but Chao's confidence in being able to control the various indirect geopolitical and societal consequences of magic seems unwarranted even for someone as smart as her. I like that Akamatsu didn't present an easy answer.

This isn't something this thread discusses much, but I have a big problem with the way Akamatsu places speech bubbles in both mangas. Sometimes it's very difficult to figure out who's supposed to be speaking. Its weird that someone so otherwise good at panel composition has this issue.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Silver2195 posted:

This isn't something this thread discusses much, but I have a big problem with the way Akamatsu places speech bubbles in both mangas. Sometimes it's very difficult to figure out who's supposed to be speaking. Its weird that someone so otherwise good at panel composition has this issue.

I have a feeling I got used to it after reading through Love Hina, which combined with Tokyopop's typesetting choices, you just get used to the glut of bubbles that happen every now and then.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Silver2195 posted:

Allarion posted:

I have a feeling I got used to it after reading through Love Hina, which combined with Tokyopop's typesetting choices, you just get used to the glut of bubbles that happen every now and then.

Yeah, I think I got used to it in Love Hina as well, though I do agree that Akamatsu's speech bubbles can get very crowded and confusing in his panels at times, especially when I'm reading when very tired...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
A few more points about Negima (in the Magic World now):

* The translation is weirdly inconsistent in some ways. The wording of the annotations on the class roster keeps changing slightly, for example. There's also some cringeworthy bits like a character saying "anyhoo." Also, the translators didn't give any of the Kansai characters an accent, so I didn't even realize Tsukuyomi was from Kansai until she addressed Fate as "han" during the Magic World arc. I guess I should have assumed it because she's hanging out with Kansai Magic Association people in her first appearance.
* Rakan's power level chart raises some odd questions. If Tsukuyomi is really that strong, why was she apparently fighting evenly against Setsuna in the Kyoto arc? Has she been leveling up faster than the protagonists since then? Was it yet another case of someone holding back? Was Rakan just guessing wildly?
* Rakan isn't quite what I expected from the way people here and on other sites talk about him. Somehow I was under the impression that he was basically impossible to injure, but actually he gets injured all the time. Having said that, he still seems a little too strong; I wonder why Negi is so focused on training to beat Fate himself instead of getting Rakan to do it.
* I actually hope we never find out what Zazie's whole deal is; it's funnier that way.
* Akamatsu really put a lot of research into this series. He even used an actual ancient currency instead of just using a made-up currency that was equivalent to yen anyway.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah. Ken takes his time off to do research.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

A few more points about Negima (in the Magic World now):

* The translation is weirdly inconsistent in some ways. The wording of the annotations on the class roster keeps changing slightly, for example. There's also some cringeworthy bits like a character saying "anyhoo." Also, the translators didn't give any of the Kansai characters an accent, so I didn't even realize Tsukuyomi was from Kansai until she addressed Fate as "han" during the Magic World arc. I guess I should have assumed it because she's hanging out with Kansai Magic Association people in her first appearance.
* Rakan's power level chart raises some odd questions. If Tsukuyomi is really that strong, why was she apparently fighting evenly against Setsuna in the Kyoto arc? Has she been leveling up faster than the protagonists since then? Was it yet another case of someone holding back? Was Rakan just guessing wildly?
* Rakan isn't quite what I expected from the way people here and on other sites talk about him. Somehow I was under the impression that he was basically impossible to injure, but actually he gets injured all the time. Having said that, he still seems a little too strong; I wonder why Negi is so focused on training to beat Fate himself instead of getting Rakan to do it.
* I actually hope we never find out what Zazie's whole deal is; it's funnier that way.
* Akamatsu really put a lot of research into this series. He even used an actual ancient currency instead of just using a made-up currency that was equivalent to yen anyway.

Tsukuyomi has indeed powered up since then, though I don't think you've gotten the explanation yet.

As for Rakan, he's basically a slapstick character with all of their immortality inserted into a battle manga. He isn't impossible to injure, it just is completely irrelevant when he does lose an arm or whatever. And Negi not just asking someone else to beat the big enemy for him is just how Negi works. It's been consistent for the entire series that he tries to shoulder every burden himself and is stuck trying to follow and live up to Nagi's legacy. A major part of his development in the magic world arc is kind of getting past that.

And I think a lot of Akamatsu's research is finding things to use for landscapes and clothing designs. I've said it before, but I really like how much work he puts into backgrounds and frequently changing up character appearances and clothing rather than just having a character look the same for an entire series.

Also Nagi's pad in Kyoto is cool as hell and I'd want to live there.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 30, 2015

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Yeah, people used to make jokes about Akamatsu taking months off at a time for "research" but he really shows his work.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Yeah, people used to make jokes about Akamatsu taking months off at a time for "research" but he really shows his work.

I think the joke was usually either that Akamatsu's (former idol) wife was demanding that he take those "research" breaks, or that he was taking them to spend more time with her. However, you can really see the detail and the background work he got up to on those breaks, so they were worth it.

As for the translation inconsistencies, that's what happens when you had a large turnover in translators in the first couple of volumes, which were pretty shoddy. It stabilized around the end of the tournament arc, and was much improved by the time Kodansha took back distribution from Del Rey after opening their own American affiliate, and they had the Nibley twins come on as primary translation and editing. There are still some mistakes made in the later volumes, with one in particular being a glaring example, but overall they did a pretty good job with the rest of the series. Also, they went back and re-edited the first couple of volumes for the omnibus releases, making them read a lot better.

Tsukiyomi's Kansai-ben is a victim of that translator turnover, I think. It's shown a bit in her initial appearance in the Kyoto arc, at least if I remember my reading of the omnibus volume containing it right, but it became a lot more pronounced during the Magical World arc when the Nibley twins kept handling it. I don't remember if the original translation of her first appearance kept the dialect, but knowing their quality, I doubt it.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

chumbler posted:

Also Nagi's pad in Kyoto is cool as hell and I'd want to live there.

Do you have a link to it? I don't remember it at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

pinegala posted:

Do you have a link to it? I don't remember it at all.

This page gives the gist of it. Also it's in a bunch of trees and has an observatory dome on top.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

There's no chapter due to Golden Week, right? Waited for a new chapter, then I remembered Japan has a bunch of holidays around this time, and I checked the last page of the previous chapter to confirm. Must've missed that the first time I read through it.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

GhostStalker posted:

There's no chapter due to Golden Week, right? Waited for a new chapter, then I remembered Japan has a bunch of holidays around this time, and I checked the last page of the previous chapter to confirm. Must've missed that the first time I read through it.

Yep, nothing new. But I bet the new chapter will have some awesome skylines to start a new arc with.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Golden week is still a month away. There simply was no chapter this week.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Golden week is still a month away. There simply was no chapter this week.

Whoops, got my Japanese calendar mixed up...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Chapter's up.

I'm tempted to think that the catgirl was trained by Ku Fei, but that's probably more similar designs than anything else.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I am eagerly anticipating the return of Eternal Negi Fever.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Avulsion posted:

I am eagerly anticipating the return of Eternal Negi Fever.

I think you mean Eternal Tota Fever. :colbert:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Allarion posted:

I'm tempted to think that the catgirl was trained by Ku Fei, but that's probably more similar designs than anything else.

Still don't know if cat girl is one of Fate's former minions, but if she is, that's not outside the realm of possibility, since we know that Fate and his minions eventually joined forces with Ala Alba and traveled together.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

New chapter out.

Touta venting to Eva, who he runs into at that mall complex after finding out about Negi using Magia Erebea to make Thunder in Heaven, Great Vigor as a finishing move. New fat lady arrives on the scene who refers to Eva as Kitty and who she calls Dana. Don't think we've ever encountered her before in Negima, so a new character? It's implied that she knows Eva for a while, and she looks like she has fangs, so maybe a vampire? I dunno.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's at least twice there where Yuki reacts visibly to what Tota says. It's pretty obvious she cares more than she lets on.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

GhostStalker posted:

Touta venting to Eva, who he runs into at that mall complex after finding out about Negi using Magia Erebea to make Thunder in Heaven, Great Vigor as a finishing move. New fat lady arrives on the scene who refers to Eva as Kitty and who she calls Dana. Don't think we've ever encountered her before in Negima, so a new character? It's implied that she knows Eva for a while, and she looks like she has fangs, so maybe a vampire? I dunno.

The only one in Negima who called Eva kitty was Albireo Imma, better known as Ku:Nel Sanders for those that remember. Perhaps she is related to him in some way.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Myurton posted:

The only one in Negima who called Eva kitty was Albireo Imma, better known as Ku:Nel Sanders for those that remember. Perhaps she is related to him in some way.

I know that much, but I find it very unlikely that this "Dana" is actually Al in disguise, because why would Eva refer to her as such? Al may be able to mimic other people's appearances using his artifact, but for Akamatsu to invent some new character just to reveal it had been Al all along just seems to me like too much work for too little payoff.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 15, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She is obviously a vampire, though?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, I noticed the fangs too.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I wonder what kind she is. How many High Daylight Walkers could be out there, really?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, Eva is unique. She was the result of a singular magic ritual that was likely not repeated, since Eva killed her father immediately afterward (not that it stuck, of course). If you assume that vampires unrelated to Eva exist, it might just be a way of describing powerful vampires.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

it might just be a way of describing powerful vampires.

Yeah this is what I figure. Could be wrong, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like how right out of the gate Touta is still getting his rear end beat against stronger opponents who aren't even holdovers from Negima. It's a welcome change from most shounen. And Akamatsu is certainly mixing up his character designs a lot more.

Also Touta still needs to hang out with his mom more.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

I like how right out of the gate Touta is still getting his rear end beat against stronger opponents who aren't even holdovers from Negima. It's a welcome change from most shounen. And Akamatsu is certainly mixing up his character designs a lot more.

Also Touta still needs to hang out with his mom more.

Well, the demon dude is one that made an appearance in Negima and had a fight with Negi, and we don't know if the two girls are the former disciples of Fate yet. But yeah, new opponents are cool.

And do you mean Eva in your last comment? I don't think he sees her as his mom, though. But I agree with the sentiment. We do need more Eva in this manga.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Aren't the two girls the ones who were students with Yue in the magical world?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

GodFish posted:

Aren't the two girls the ones who were students with Yue in the magical world?

I don't believe so, as their names are entirely different, and I don't think there was a dragon girl in Yue's class in Ariadne, at least not one that had a lot of page space.

Then again, the stated names of the girls in the underground tournament are different from the ones that Fate's group had as well, but the ones Fate used for them were all apparently fake names of some sort so it could still be them.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

GhostStalker posted:

I know that much, but I find it very unlikely that this "Dana" is actually Al in disguise, because why would Eva refer to her as such? Al may be able to mimic other people's appearances using his artifact, but for Akamatsu to invent some new character just to reveal it had been Al all along just seems to me like too much work for too little payoff.

I never said it was Al in disguise, you assumed that. I said she might be related to him in some way. Like she may know him, or be directly related to him in some way.

• Locked thread