Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Earwicker posted:

maybe you should grow out of your "baby tier level" mindset and just read his poems and decide for yourself if you like them or not?

I have read them, and I like them. I was just wondering what you think because he gets paired with Robert Frost for banality

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have only read a few of them and it was many years ago but I enjoyed them.

I've enjoyed a few of Frost's poems as well though.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Edit: Nevermind wrong thread.

Borneo Jimmy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 30, 2015

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

ulvir posted:

i'm reading inherent vice now, and I kinda regret this not being my first pynchon book. I'm only 1/4th in, but it feels a lot better than the crying of lot 49. not that the latter's bad, just if things continue as they do, a lesser book than inherent vice
imo the first half of inherent vice is fun and charming and interesting enough, but by around the halfway point you've more or less figured out the broad strokes of how things are going to end up, but it just kinda keeps trundling on for a couple hundred more pages, throwing together more set pieces i guess just because pynchon wanted to use up all the goofy character names he'd thought of recently

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've got like 14% left and I still dig it, but pynchon really loves sex scenes and blazing it. probably would've finished it yesterday but sadly this flue has left me a bit under the weather

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I didn't like Inherent Vice much and still think V. is the best one, had more memorable scenes and more human characters.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Grimson posted:

imo the first half of inherent vice is fun and charming and interesting enough, but by around the halfway point you've more or less figured out the broad strokes of how things are going to end up, but it just kinda keeps trundling on for a couple hundred more pages, throwing together more set pieces i guess just because pynchon wanted to use up all the goofy character names he'd thought of recently

That's our Pynchon!

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
The book Inherent Vice is better than the movie right?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Smoking Crow posted:

I have read them, and I like them. I was just wondering what you think because he gets paired with Robert Frost for banality

he's a premodernist poet he's not supposed to be profound

gently caress, at least he's less pointlessly verbose than shakespeare's poetry

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Borneo Jimmy posted:

The book Inherent Vice is better than the movie right?

Yes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you know who i really like in anglophone poetry? rudyard kipling

best anglophone poet imo, horrifying racism and all

come at me

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Shakespeare's poetry is good, actually.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

CestMoi posted:

Shakespeare's poetry is good, actually.

a popular stance, and one i will not fault you for holding

but not, i am afraid, a correct stance

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

V. Illych L. posted:

virgil is pre modernist and his poetry is profound

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

a popular stance, and one i will not fault you for holding

but not, i am afraid, a correct stance

That time of year thou mayst in me behold is better than anything Kipling did, unless you can count having the "I don't know I've never Kippled" joke being based on him as a thing he did.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ok he's a premodernist not literally trying to capture he essence of divinity through his poems, i'll grant you a certain measure of profoundness when you aim for that

but even that is pretty much borrowed profoundness as he tries to make poetic sense of a ton of jumbled theological dogma, i am legit uncertain if i accept that the depth of virgil's poetry (at least in divina comedia, haven't read anything else) stems from the poetic form he uses or if it's just a function of the subject matter

also, chinese poets etc from this period may very well be profound, i wouldn't know, so i'm limiting myself specifically to the western tradition here

vilain, skallagrimson, shakespeare, homer, banalities abroad from the lot of them

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

ok he's a premodernist not literally trying to capture he essence of divinity through his poems, i'll grant you a certain measure of profoundness when you aim for that

but even that is pretty much borrowed profoundness as he tries to make poetic sense of a ton of jumbled theological dogma, i am legit uncertain if i accept that the depth of virgil's poetry (at least in divina comedia, haven't read anything else) stems from the poetic form he uses or if it's just a function of the subject matter

also, chinese poets etc from this period may very well be profound, i wouldn't know, so i'm limiting myself specifically to the western tradition here

vilain, skallagrimson, shakespeare, homer, banalities abroad from the lot of them

You are confusing Virgil the Roman poet with Dante the Italian (actually Florentine) poet.

& what do you mean with banalities? What is more banal than Kipling's If—?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Where is Shel Silverstein on the profound - - - banal axis, now that we know Shakespeare and Virgil are banal

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

V. Illych L. posted:

Everybody is laughing at you

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

'If' was Ayn Rand's favourite poem, enough said

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

V. Illych L. posted:

Virgil was a character in the first third of the Divine Comedy, he didn't write it

Virgil wrote a poem about farming and it's more profound than most of the poetry from the past 100 years

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

V. Illych L. posted:

i really need to know what level of irony you're operating on before i can reply to this post

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 30, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Boatswain posted:

You are confusing Virgil the Roman poet with Dante the Italian (actually Florentine) poet.

& what do you mean with banalities? What is more banal than Kipling's If—?

oh my how embarassing yes of course

kipling is also a premodernist poet so banality is expected and, indeed, applaudable

End Of Worlds posted:

i really need to know what level of irony you're operating on before i can reply to this post

i'm being mostly ironic, but with a kernel of sincerity. the virgil thing was an honest mistake born from posting too late in the night, though, gonna cop to that

like, don't get me wrong, i really like poetry, but i think a lot of people approach the classics in a silly way, looking for grand truths where someone really just wanted to express some concept in a good way through text and rhythm (that's the sincere part). also i don't like shakespeare's poetry, which i think is much weaker than his plays. so, when someone disses Burns for being "banal" it's just that his style is more simple than that of some of the other greats - he does an excellent job of writing about e.g. love in a captivating way

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

My favourite poets are the selfpublished ones.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Modernism seems like an odd choice to place this barrier since many imagists were allowed to both write and publish as they shaped Modernism as a movement, rather than being lined up and shot.

Or is the simile you're going for here that pre-modern poetry is like of a bunch of interchangeable portraits of madonna and child and it is only after the rise of secularism that poetry is permitted new subjects and techniques.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no i'm going for the point that poetry is far too often taken as a "serious" art form and judged by those measures, i.e. how it approaches the sublime or whatever, rather than what it very often is, which is a way of effectively and attractively expressing some aspect of the human condition. shakespeare, since i seem obsessed with him these days, is a particular victim of this attitude - especially his plays, which are often positively bawdy, are taken by many (in my cultural sphere) as "high art" in the same vein as your great classical composers or painters (arguably this is even a Thing in painting, with certain of the flemish primitives being prime examples, but y'know). so the objection of banality as a reason not to appreciate art is not valid, because a ton of great art is banal as all hell

poetry-as-high-art is another Thing entirely. homer's writing, for example, isn't very profound - it's basically a way of recounting a story, which it is really good at. it is also a very valuable insight into the mindset of his/their culture, which is also quite fascinating. the point being that we have these weird criteria where anything good becomes deeply meaningful, and where the "profoundness" of a work is a direct measure of its value as a work of art. ionnescu et al pretty much demonstrated why this is false imo, but the attitudes still remain.

the bar being set at modernity is completely arbitrary, that part was mostly polemic

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 30, 2015

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

V. Illych L. posted:

no i'm going for the point that poetry is far too often taken as a "serious" art form and judged by those measures, i.e. how it approaches the sublime or whatever, rather than what it very often is, which is a way of effectively and attractively expressing some aspect of the human condition. shakespeare, since i seem obsessed with him these days, is a particular victim of this attitude - especially his plays, which are often positively bawdy, are taken by many (in my cultural sphere) as "high art" in the same vein as your great classical composers or painters (arguably this is even a Thing in painting, with certain of the flemish primitives being prime examples, but y'know). so the objection of banality as a reason not to appreciate art is not valid, because a ton of great art is banal as all hell

poetry-as-high-art is another Thing entirely. homer's writing, for example, isn't very profound - it's basically a way of recounting a story, which it is really good at. it is also a very valuable insight into the mindset of his/their culture, which is also quite fascinating. the point being that we have these weird criteria where anything good becomes deeply meaningful, and where the "profoundness" of a work is a direct measure of its value as a work of art. ionnescu et al pretty much demonstrated why this is false imo, but the attitudes still remain.

the bar being set at modernity is completely arbitrary, that part was mostly polemic

understood, carry on

Wayne Gretzky posted:

See, what I'm going to do, right, is communicate via text, except in this special way that only certain people will get. I don't want to just like... you know, type it out as if we were speaking, or tell you a story, or whatever because like... I just have this special like... mind-space, right, or mind-cloud, like ok picture a regular mind, and then picture one that's slightly bigger and better, but kind of like tragic? Anyway, its good to type stupid poo poo like a fag. In short sentences. Recapitulating each unparsable moment. Waves crash on a crying Mexican woman. Corrito guandalte she cries to the sun. Mechanical bird

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Such a good Gretzky post.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gonna cement my dunce reputation itt by admitting that i don't get it

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Tree Goat posted:

Everybody is laughing at you

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no, i got that, i don't get the gretzky thing

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

V. Illych L. posted:

no, i got that, i don't get the gretzky thing

It's a post from FYAD, the Latino subforum that is mostly people posting monkey chease bullshit like "jope" and "brulpus". You can safely ignore it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Here are some Russian Futurist poets to soothe your pain

http://hlebnikov.com/works

Fun fact: the guy that wrote this thought that Dostoyevsky's writings would have to be destroyed in order to progress to the great fascist future

I was going back through this thread and this guy is so cool

quote:

One time we met people who held themselves together with buttons. Really. Their insides were accessible through a flap of skin, buttoned down by little round hornlike protuberances. Whenever they ate, a furnace of thoughts glowed through this flap. That’s really true.
I stood on a great steel bridge and threw a coin into a river, a two-kopeck piece. “Someone should be worried about the science of the future,” I said. “I wonder if maybe someday some underwater archeologist will come along and find my sacrifice to the river?”
And K introduced me to a scientist from the year 2222.
Ah! It was only a year after the first infant cry of the Superstate ASTSU. “Astsu!” the scientist said, glancing at the date on the coin. Back in those days people believed in space, they didn’t think much about time. He commissioned me to write up a description of human beings. I filled in all the blanks and handed in the form. “Number of eyes, two,” he read. “Number of hands, two; number of feet, two; fingers, ten; toes, ten. Fingers and toes combined, twenty.”
He slipped a thin, gleaming skull-ring onto his shadowy finger. We discussed the advantages and disadvantages of that particular number. “These figures,” he said, with a piercing look from his large, intelligent eyes, “do they ever change?”
‘Those are the maximum figures,” I answered. “Of course people do turn up from time to time with only one arm or one leg. And there will be a significant increase in such people every 317 years.”
“And yet,” he answered, “this gives us enough information to calculate the equation of their death.” “Language,” remarked the scientist from the year 2222, “is the everlasting source of knowledge. What is the relationship between gravity and time? It’s perfectly clear that in your language the word vremya, which means time, and the word ves, which means weight, stand in the same relation as the word bremya, which means burden, and the word bes, which is a name for the Fiend, the Evil One. But can one who sweats beneath a burden behave like the Fiend? No. Bremya absorbs the force of bes. Where there are burdens to be borne, the Fiend is absent. In the same way, therefore, vremya absorbs the force of ves, for do we not abandon weight when we enter into time? The very soul of your language shows us that weight and time are different absorbtions of the same force.”
He thought the whole thing over. “Yes,” he said, “language contains more truths than we know.”
At which point our acquaintance was broken off.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What's the best book Will Self ever wrote.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

His poo diary.

In all seriousness I tried to get through Umbrella and it was awful. Just awful.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I have no where else to post this so it'll go here

http://www.theparisreview.org/karl-ove-knausgaard-advice

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I just started Zadie Smith's NW and I'm really into it. I liked White Teeth a lot but felt the ending was really week, and I couldn't get into Autograph Man at all.. hope this lives up to the start

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

His short story collections are the best. The quantity theory of insanity and Tough tough toys... are both quite good. His long form stuff is weaker, but my favourite is The book of dave . Haven't read umbrella yet.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If you guys haven't read David Vann yet quit being useless shitfuckers and read David Vann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What's yall's opinion on William Golding? I just bought The Scorpion God and The Paper Men based solely on the covers/historical setting/vague fond memories of Lord of the Flies.