Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I just don't think that the Dem bench is very strong there, its one representative and a bunch of former holders of minor state-wide offices. Their biggest hope is to ride Hillary's coat-tails but even then I'd think Sandoval is favored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
If Hillary wins by 2012 Obama margins or better the Senate is D regardless of what happens in Nevada. There are too many seats in purple states in play for multiple Rs to run a +7 race over their candidate unless their candidate is in the clown camp which is at least a small possibility right now. If she loses the Senate is lost. The only time any of these races turn out important on their own is in a 2 point election or if the nominee isn't her.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Adar posted:

If Hillary wins by 2012 Obama margins or better the Senate is D regardless of what happens in Nevada. There are too many seats in purple states in play

What map are you looking at? There's Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and New Hampshire. Florida I don't think is in play at all, the only hope there is Rubio gets picked as VP candidate, and Ayotte I think is only possible to get rid of if Governor Hassan runs. Iowa may be purple but there's no way in gently caress Chuck Grassley is going to face a serious challenge, and Nevada is all but lost if Sandoval runs, which means Dems need to win one extra seat.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I kind of wonder if the big bundlers and the DNC are even going to try to pick up US House and state legislative seats because if you want to start making some inroads for the re-districting, you gotta start winning some elections on the state level first and that takes time to do to build up the infrastructure. Otherwise we could be looking at another 10 years of a GOP House majority and 10 years of GOD control of a whole lot of state legislatures. And that's going to make it even harder for new talent to rise up in the ranks

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

What map are you looking at? There's Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and New Hampshire. Florida I don't think is in play at all, the only hope there is Rubio gets picked as VP candidate, and Ayotte I think is only possible to get rid of if Governor Hassan runs. Iowa may be purple but there's no way in gently caress Chuck Grassley is going to face a serious challenge, and Nevada is all but lost if Sandoval runs, which means Dems need to win one extra seat.

I think there are a couple other states the Dems might be looking at: their best chance would probably be North Carolina, as Burr is basically a non-entity in the state and I'm told Anthony Foxx is pretty popular (plus he'd be running alongside Cooper who will be challenging McCrory).

There's also Missouri, although I don't know how popular/unpopular either Blunt or Kander are.

There's also the potential that someone successfully primaries McCain (I thought I saw an article floating around a couple weeks ago about Schweikert considering a primary challenge), or the bottom falling out so hard in Kansas that voters take it out on Moran, but I admit these increasingly sound like flights of fancy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Indiana is an open seat, that's a pickup opportunity in a state where Democrats are surprisingly competitive in non-presidential statewide races.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Missouri is not in play, as it stands McCaskill only won re-election in a presidential election year because "If it's a legitimate rape.....". Blunt doesn't need to be popular, he has an R next to his name.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Indiana is an open seat, that's a pickup opportunity in a state where Democrats are surprisingly competitive in non-presidential statewide races.

2 officials elected to office bases on a statewide vote since...2004, I believe. Not exactly inspiring confidence.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Reminder: the GOP controls the house for more reasons than gerrymandering in the 2010 census. Democrats are naturally denser located than Republicans, we tend to over elect candidates compared to republicans. Even without the gerrymandering of the 2010 census the republicans would still be in control of the house, just by a smaller amount. We would need to switch to a completely different system to end the republican advantages in the house, until then we can keep getting more of the popular vote nationwide in house elections while still having fewer of the seats. Democrats need to win by a very large margin to control it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Amused to Death posted:

What map are you looking at? There's Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and New Hampshire. Florida I don't think is in play at all, the only hope there is Rubio gets picked as VP candidate, and Ayotte I think is only possible to get rid of if Governor Hassan runs.

Rubio has said that he won't run for both senator and president, so if he runs for president, which a lot of people are saying he will, then the Democrats at least have a chance in Florida. Murphy's a good candidate and can win if things fall apart at the top of the ticket for Republicans. Sandoval is a dream candidate for Republicans in Nevada but he might not go for it, he's been very reluctant so far and even if with an open seat he might prefer to spend the next two years as governor. You're probably right in New Hampshire, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hassan run. There only need to be five flips and there's seven states for you. Then you get longer shots like Republicans pissing away another race in Indiana, John McCain or Chuck Grassley falling over dead or any number of other potentialities. Rothenberg also lists Johnny Isakson as being merely "favored" instead of "safe." Though that probably more relies on a Democratic surge in Georgia and I certainly don't find it likely.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cliff Racer posted:

Rubio has said that he won't run for both senator and president, so if he runs for president, which a lot of people are saying he will, then the Democrats at least have a chance in Florida. Murphy's a good candidate and can win if things fall apart at the top of the ticket for Republicans. Sandoval is a dream candidate for Republicans in Nevada but he might not go for it, he's been very reluctant so far and even if with an open seat he might prefer to spend the next two years as governor. You're probably right in New Hampshire, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hassan run. There only need to be five flips and there's seven states for you. Then you get longer shots like Republicans pissing away another race in Indiana, John McCain or Chuck Grassley falling over dead or any number of other potentialities. Rothenberg also lists Johnny Isakson as being merely "favored" instead of "safe." Though that probably more relies on a Democratic surge in Georgia and I certainly don't find it likely.

Won't run for President and Senate if he gets the nomination, or won't run for the Presidential nomination and Senate? He's not getting the nomination so it's a big difference.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilweasel posted:

Won't run for President and Senate if he gets the nomination, or won't run for the Presidential nomination and Senate? He's not getting the nomination so it's a big difference.

He responded to the question with regard to Florida's law against doing both pretty much saying it's either run for Senate or President. However there is of course wiggle room. It mainly depends on how quickly he crashes and burns. He needs to stay in for a while before he runs out of time, deadline for filing in Florida is May 2016. Though I doubt the party will wait that long to find out if they've got an incumbent running or if they need to build up someone. Florida Law doesn't allow him to be on the ballot for both the Senate and President/VP.

Marco Rubio posted:

“I haven’t even thought that far ahead. I think by and large when you choose to do something as big as that you‘ve really got to be focused on that, and not have a exit strategy,” the Florida Republican said of a potential run for the White House.

But Rubio said he would take no such step,[Referring to Paul's efforts to get the law changed] and called Florida’s barring of dual candidacies the “right law.” The Floridian told Hewitt that he will decide on a presidential run by spring of next year.

“That’s around the time I will have to make a decision about something. I mean, because I’ll either have to run for reelection or not run for anything or run for another office,” Rubio said. “Everybody has their own timetable, but around this time next year.”

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So in other words, Rubio's returning to the Senate. Because there's no way he's still in the race in May.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I disagree wholeheartedly, he's only getting in in mid-April, he won't pull the plug in just a month unless his roll-out is disastrous, and I doubt that it will be.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cliff Racer posted:

I disagree wholeheartedly, he's only getting in in mid-April, he won't pull the plug in just a month unless his roll-out is disastrous, and I doubt that it will be.

Sorry, I should have clarified which May I meant. I was referring to Gyges's May 2016 deadline.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified which May I meant. I was referring to Gyges's May 2016 deadline.

I should probably apologize, I thought that May 2015 was the cut-off for registering for the primaries. Come to think of it, May 2016 is a super late deadline. If he waits that long he'd actually be exiting the race after Florida's primary has ended, really loving over his state's voters.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cliff Racer posted:

I should probably apologize, I thought that May 2015 was the cut-off for registering for the primaries. Come to think of it, May 2016 is a super late deadline. If he waits that long he'd actually be exiting the race after Florida's primary has ended, really loving over his state's voters.

Florida has two primaries. A presidential preference primary currently scheduled for March 15 and a general primary in August. Hence the May deadline. Unless Rubio has the nomination by May, he's free to register in the August primary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The way the 2016 primary calendar is shaping up, we'll know the nominee by mid-to-late March, at the latest. There are just too many primaries in big states the first two weeks of that month, including Florida's on the 15th.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Isn't Rand Paul also having the same issue with running? I know for sure in that state he can't do both at the same time and I guess it doesn't look like the state is going to change that law like he wanted.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't Rand Paul also having the same issue with running? I know for sure in that state he can't do both at the same time and I guess it doesn't look like the state is going to change that law like he wanted.

He can't run in a primary for both offices, so they're switching over to a caucus just for him.

Edit: Tentatively, that is. I don't know if any official steps have been taken.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

The kentucky presidential primary is fairly late and not that important. We'll be well into primary campaigning season by the time Rand has to make up his mind one way or the other, meaning that he will have the information he needs. If he has a genuine shot at the presidential nomination, he can put his name on the KY presidential primary ballot and try to pick up some extra momentum by winning his home state. In this case he could attempt to defend his seat as a write-in candidate, being drastically more well-known and popular than any other republican in the state.

If he has no shot at being anything other than a protest candidate, like his father, he will put his name down as a senate candidate and focus on keeping his seat.

Alternatively he can get the state GoP to switch to a caucus rather than a primary, which would get around the ballot issue but which they haven't made up their minds about yet. The move has gotten through some of the relevent committees but has not been put to a general vote of the state GoP leadership (there's a central commitee that has to vote on it, separate from the smaller commitees that have approved it already).

Another consideration is that the state's gubernatorial elections are off-year and there's one coming up in 2015.
Currently there are two obstacles to passing an LBJ law: the democratic stateouse and the democratic governor, who would veto. There's no way to affect composition of the House until the 2016 generals, but, if a republican wins the governors' mansion, Rand might have some hope that the new republican governor could whip up the votes to pass a bill.

PupsOfWar has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Mar 30, 2015

Naked Lincoln
Jan 19, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So in other words, Rubio's returning to the Senate. Because there's no way he's still in the race in May.

Is Rubio a lock for reelection if he runs again? Didn't Crist's campaign drain away a lot of liberal and moderate votes back in 2010? If the Democrats run a decent candidate (which I guess is the real problem in Florida) in a presidential year, don't they have at least a decent chance of picking up the seat?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Naked Lincoln posted:

Is Rubio a lock for reelection if he runs again? Didn't Crist's campaign drain away a lot of liberal and moderate votes back in 2010? If the Democrats run a decent candidate (which I guess is the real problem in Florida) in a presidential year, don't they have at least a decent chance of picking up the seat?
Right now the only Dem who says they are running is Murphy, who I'm not confident would beat Rubio unless Rubio has some big scandal or something. Crist has already ruled it out. In 2010 Crist did take a lot of votes from the Dem candidate Kendrick Meek, but he wasn't going to win regardless.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

every good flordia democrat is black and therefor unelectable at the state level

every florida democrat who might be electable at the state level is awful at everything except finding ways to gently caress themselves.

it is a Big Problem and will not be solved until lawton chiles returns from his long slumber 'neath the Mountain

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Naked Lincoln posted:

Do not underestimate the power of incumbency. I don't know if I'd say he was a lock but the race would definitely be at least lean R, if not R favored. And thats only because Murphy has stepped in, without him it would be even further out of reach.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

could rubio see a serious primary challenge from republicans outraged at his flirtation with moderate stances?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
No. Mainly because there don't appear to be any people interested in such a race.

Incidently, McCain seems to be lucking out on that front too. It had looked like two sitting representatives were considering primary challenges but both have recently moved away from that. All he has to worry about now is some state senator, who should be easy prey.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joe Sestak announced his candidacy for US Senate in Pennsylvania today. Continuing the Democratic party tradition of too-clever-by-half gimmicks, he pledged to "walk 500 miles" across the state and then spent a minute awkwardly putting on boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxKvgBvdCEM

His campaign has already honored a request from The Proclaimers to stop using the song.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
As Daily Kos noted, it's an impressive stunt, but he wasted a lot of time just plodding across the commonwealth, time that could have been spent calling donors or talking to voters.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Huh, I thought he started walking a month ago? As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure he did.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CaptainCarrot posted:

As Daily Kos noted, it's an impressive stunt, but he wasted a lot of time just plodding across the commonwealth, time that could have been spent calling donors or talking to voters.

If you're not dialing for dollars as you walk, or using the walk for informal, face-to-face quid pro's, then you're not going to win.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John McCain will run for a sixth term. He's 78, but notes his mother is 103 and "doing fine".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Does his mom also have an unhealthy obsession with bombing a certain foreign country?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

John McCain will run for a sixth term. He's 78, but notes his mother is 103 and "doing fine".

I hope someone's told him that he's going to have to make it to at least 104 if he wants to beat Byrd.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, that didn't take long. The Senate Conservatives Fund wants to replace John McCain.

Reminder: Ted Cruz regularly fundraises for this group, which is run by Ken Cuccinelli.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
whoah the Cooch is behind that?

i saw that edit :mad:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does his mom also have an unhealthy obsession with bombing a certain foreign country?

No, but her name is Barbara.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Dems are pushing Josh Shapiro to run for PA-Sen

I know he's been groomed for higher office, but is he a better candidate than Sestak?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Franco Potente posted:

Dems are pushing Josh Shapiro to run for PA-Sen

I know he's been groomed for higher office, but is he a better candidate than Sestak?

I don't know.

But Sestak lost to Toomey the first go round and rematches are generally not the best thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I am not sure if you've talked about it because, lol we suck as a state, but there's a good chance that Joe Manchin is going to run for Governor in 2016. He doesn't have to give up his senate seat to run (he's up for 2018) but that would trigger a special election for his seat when he presumably would win the governorship (there's no one with any real chance of beating him.)

• Locked thread