Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Sc

G5ANDY posted:

I've set up a Mac mini at work with all my software (office & stats) and files (aeroFS). What's the best VNC solution for OSX and iOS to reliably find and conned to this headless machine.

screen sharing.app is good and free and built-in. It's not the fastest but it does the job, and if bonjour is working you can just select the machine from the finder sidebar. You can also export the connection as a file and chuck it wherever. If bonjour is flakey on your local network it's probably a good idea to give it a static ip.

As for iOS, no idea sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

G5ANDY posted:

I've set up a Mac mini at work with all my software (office & stats) and files (aeroFS). What's the best VNC solution for OSX and iOS to reliably find and conned to this headless machine.

If you are connecting with a mac just turn on Back to My Mac and use apple's screen sharing. Then you just have to select the machine in finder and click the share screen button. The best part is that it does all the network negotiation and makes an SSL tunnel to the machine, so you can use it without having a static IP or opening ports up. I really wish Apple just made a screen sharing app for iOS. It is kinda lame seeing as Microsoft has a really awesome RDP app for iPad. What I used to do was use logmein when it was free, so one of those alternatives like TeamViewer might work better than VNC. I see even google has an offering now https://itunes.apple.com/app/chrome-remote-desktop/id944025852

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, Apple's Remote Desktop works for me, dunno about the iOS part.

ARD is encrypted and optimized, and lets me drag files from my desktop to the remote window to copy them, no muss or fuss.

I use it to connect to two headless Macs, one of which is a Mini as well.

BTW, this works pretty well if you have a mid-2010 Mini or later:

http://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Headless-Display-Emulator/dp/B00FLZXGJ6/

Having this plugged into a Mac Mini activates the GPU so your virtual display runs faster.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 27, 2015

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I haven't used the iOS app (I'm on Android) but I've used Chrome Remote Desktop quite a bit and it's always worked great for my needs.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Splashtop is my go-to for cross-platform VNC. It isn't free for using outside your LAN but worth the price- has never had any issues connecting back home to my server that's buried behind too many routers out of my control for Apple's Remote Desktop to work.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you haven't already you should probably ask over in the iOS apps thread.

I haven't used Chrome Remote Desktop on my Mac but seems ok enough for the HTPCs I have it set up on, simple enough setup and like a few other solutions it auto configures/connects without needing to mess with network stuff.

Otherwise I use Jump Desktop and occasionally Screens (Edovia I think?), I think they both also have auto setup options but I've never used them myself. Theoretically if they both work fine there for your network I like them better than Chrome just cause there's more options/controls, but depending on your use those extras may not really matter.

Control wise they all bug me one way or another though, my favorite was iTap VNC way back but they stopped dev on it to focus on the RDP version (...which was eventually sold to MS for their current RDP solution iirc).

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Yossarko posted:

What's the best way to get notifications on Yosemite for gmail accounts? I have a pro and personal gmail account. I was hoping Safari's PUSH notifications would work with Gmail but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I did this to get notifications to start working if that is your issue: https://gist.github.com/songgao/3185894

Still need to keep the browser tab open, but I wasn't getting any notifications at all before running that javascript.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
What's the least ugly way to monitor CPU temperature in OSX? Looking at the apps on the app store they seem non-conformant with the UI or goofily bloated (why does one of them have a built-in music player?)

Just looking for a celsius number for each core on the right side of the top bar, really

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 28, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iStat Menus has a temperature module (but iStat isn't free.) MenuMeters might, as well.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TheQat posted:

What's the least ugly way to monitor CPU temperature in OSX? Looking at the apps on the app store they seem non-conformant with the UI or goofily bloated (why does one of them have a built-in music player?)

Just looking for a celsius number for each core on the right side of the top bar, really

iStat Menus

efb - but yeah it's the poo poo

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Cool I'll check it out. Thanks

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

slomomofo posted:

iStat Menus

efb - but yeah it's the poo poo

I love iStat Menus, but I've never been able to make heads or tails of the temperature section. I have never been able to figure out what is normal, and what is excessive.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's a comprehensive list of every temp sensor in your computer; most are useful for the cooling system to coordinate, but not really to keep an eye on yourself. Personally the most I'd go is the CPU Die there, and maybe a fan speed indicator if I was tracking down possible overheating issues.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kobayashi posted:

I love iStat Menus, but I've never been able to make heads or tails of the temperature section. I have never been able to figure out what is normal, and what is excessive.

For CPU temps, you can look up your CPU model on the Intel website. For instance, http://ark.intel.com/m/products/85214/Intel-Core-i7-5500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz#@product/specifications the tjunction is the temp at which throttling starts I believe. 105c in this case.

HDDs and such will have similar operating temp ranges in their spec pages

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

iStat Menus? Never touch the stuff. Not since I got HW Monitor which is free /donationware...

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Binary Badger posted:

iStat Menus? Never touch the stuff. Not since I got HW Monitor which is free /donationware...

iStat is many times better. Costs money but have a level of polish/quality that is unmatched.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
What do people here use for launchers these days? I used to be all about Quicksilver, and it still pretty much does what I want. Some people that I work with use Alfred. The main thing I used it for was for opening a few documents and launching an app that I don't have in my dock already (I like to keep most things out of the Dock). I think I might be able to get by with just spotlight these days once I get used to or change the keyboard shortcut, but was wondering if there was any benefit or other options to alternatives?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Alfred is just extremely customizable and has a good scripting interface and a healthy dev community. If all you do is open files spotlight is good enough, but for me personally, Alfred saves me a ton of time on my workflows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JHVH-1 posted:

What do people here use for launchers these days? I used to be all about Quicksilver, and it still pretty much does what I want. Some people that I work with use Alfred. The main thing I used it for was for opening a few documents and launching an app that I don't have in my dock already (I like to keep most things out of the Dock). I think I might be able to get by with just spotlight these days once I get used to or change the keyboard shortcut, but was wondering if there was any benefit or other options to alternatives?

Alfred is pretty nice. I mostly use it as a Spotlight replacement and Clipboard manager. I'm just starting to look into Workflows and it will integrate with a whole bunch of stuff like 1Password and iTerm2. My only issue so far is re-training my muscle memory to use <option><Space> as opposed to <cmd><Space> to pull it up.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just noticed this and posted an answer on the stackexchange, if you have File Vault 2 enabled and you wish to change your password use the utility in the Security & Privacy panel in System Preferences and not the Users & Groups panel. If you don't you'll end up having to enter the old password to unlock File Vault when you reboot.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I change my password in Users & Groups twice a year (just last week even) and have never had an issue with FileVault.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

JHVH-1 posted:

Unless something better comes along, I'll keep Alfred around for the clipboard manager alone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flosofl posted:

. My only issue so far is re-training my muscle memory to use <option><Space> as opposed to <cmd><Space> to pull it up.

You can disable the regular spotlight shortcut and set Alfred to open with cmd space

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What kinds of things do you guys use Alfred for? Nearly all of my work is done by using cmd+space for spotlight, typing the beginning of the file name, and pressing enter and getting to work.

I mostly just work with documents on
Google drive and PDFs with Acrobat. Does Alfred shave precious seconds off this sort of thing?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

What kinds of things do you guys use Alfred for? Nearly all of my work is done by using cmd+space for spotlight, typing the beginning of the file name, and pressing enter and getting to work.

I mostly just work with documents on
Google drive and PDFs with Acrobat. Does Alfred shave precious seconds off this sort of thing?

If that's really the only use you'd need, Spotlight is pretty good for that. The one thing I can't live without that keeps me using Alfred is the clipboard management.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Re: monitoring apps, I just discovered this one recently. Had no idea Intel had published anything like it for OS X.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

It graphs CPU package power (with the power used by just the CPU cores as a separate category), CPU and graphics frequency, and chip temperature, all taken from on-chip sensors. It even looks like a reasonable OS X app.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Just a couple of the things I use Alfred for (other than file search/clipboard history):
  • Toggle DNS configs
  • Toggle audio output
  • Kill processes
  • Evernote search
  • Pinboard search
  • Turn off displays (along with Sleep/Restart)
  • Upload selected picture in Finder to imgur
  • Open current Finder directory in iTerm

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!
This is a weird one. For some reason the shortcut to my home folder is set as "package" and open with as "Terminal" under Get Info. No matter where I click to get my home folder, it opens it in Terminal (eg if I go to /Users in Finder and click the home folder, it opens it Terminal). Repaired permissions and it didn't make any difference. Any idea how to change it back?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is there a way to get VLC to prevent system sleep on 10.10.2/VLC 2.2? the "Prevent Screensaver" checkbox isn't cutting it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

skrath posted:

This is a weird one. For some reason the shortcut to my home folder is set as "package" and open with as "Terminal" under Get Info. No matter where I click to get my home folder, it opens it in Terminal (eg if I go to /Users in Finder and click the home folder, it opens it Terminal). Repaired permissions and it didn't make any difference. Any idea how to change it back?

Somehow the bundle bit got turned on for that folder. If you have the dev tools installed, SetFile can turn it off. There are probably other apps that will do it too. Google "remove bundle bit".

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there any point in using Mail (or another mail program) for Gmail, or is the web client the way to go? My friend swears by Mail, but he can't explain why...

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Xabi posted:

Is there any point in using Mail (or another mail program) for Gmail, or is the web client the way to go? My friend swears by Mail, but he can't explain why...

I like having all my mail in one place, so I use my gmail along with 2 other IMAP accounts with Mail. I have never had any problems with it or the mail client that comes with iOS. I have had IMAP enabled on my account for ages though, I don't know if that is required to be turned on anymore or how it connects by default.

I just like having the unread mail count pop up on the same icon, and the notifications show up in the same place as my 2 other accounts. Oh and its handy being able to search all my mail accounts at once too, though sometimes the webmail client is better at searching contents of mail.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xabi posted:

Maybe your friend has a Macbook.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah alfred is excellent, and it's even better if you install Seil (fka PCKeyboardHack) and Karabiner (fka KeyRemap4MacBook) so you can just trigger it with your caps lock key.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 30, 2015

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Oh, since you mention that, I should mention that those tools allow remapping of the Alt key on a non-Apple keyboard to Command and the Windows key to Option while automatically preserving the original keys on plugged in Apple keyboards. It's really neat and it's great they exist.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use Mail because it's there and it's easy and it works for me.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/57620/macbook-unplugged-from-external-monitor-thinks-its-still-the-secondary-desktop

If I am ever so hasty as to unplug a display before my Mac wakes from sleep, it will helplessly show my secondary desktop on the built-in display. To solve this, I have to press Option+Brightness Up, then hold Option to reveal the Detect Displays button in the Displays dialog that appears. I think that's really poor and I'm surprised that it doesn't simply detect displays upon waking from sleep.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My apartment is super cold during the winter months, so only within the past few weeks have I gotten back into sitting at my computer and doing computer things rather than hanging out in bed and browsing the forums on my iPad.

It occurs to me that I might as well update to Yosemite, so I go to download it and notice that 1-star reviews basically outnumber everything else combined. I poke around, lots of people complaining that it runs like garbage.

I'm running on a mid-2010 i7 iMac with (I think) 8gb of RAM, so I'm a bit concerned about how the old gal will handle something that people are saying is rubbish on 2012 machines.

Should I hop on the Yosemite train or ride out Mavericks as long as possible?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Do you use time machine? If so, there's really no harm in giving it a shot. Otherwise you may want to hang back, but for what it's worth it runs adaquately on a mid-2010 MBP (13-inch even.) Some animations are choppier than they were but it's quite useable overall for how much more graphics intensive it is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It runs just fine for me on a mid 2009 Mbp with 8 gigs of ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

My dad has a Mac Mini and recently upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite. After the upgrade, the Mini started randomly rebooting on occasion and, more consistently, rebooting multiple times when he boots or reboots the computer. It basically sounds like his Mini has to reboot 3 times during the boot process before it comes all the way up.

My guess, based on some googling, was that he had some old software that was trying to access audio or video hardware and making GBS threads the bed. Nothing in his crash logs/console that I can find; everything seems to be humming along fine then the startup log entries appear.

I had him backup, wipe his drive, and do a clean Yosemite install and test for a couple days before installing any more software or restoring anything from Time Machine. It seemed better for a day or two and he still hasn't had any random reboots but yesterday it started doing the reboot while booting issue again.

Already tried verifying/repairing disk perms and resetting the PRAM, neither seemed to help. He took it into a local shop and they ran their hardware diagnostic suite on it and said everything came back fine. It still sounds to me like a hardware (logic board, probably) issue but it's out of AppleCare coverage and I'm kind of stuck on what to try next.

Suggestions?

Sockser posted:

I'm running on a mid-2010 i7 iMac with (I think) 8gb of RAM, so I'm a bit concerned about how the old gal will handle something that people are saying is rubbish on 2012 machines.

Should I hop on the Yosemite train or ride out Mavericks as long as possible?

FWIW I have the same 2010 i7 iMac (but with 12GB RAM) and Yosemite runs fine.