Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

5dimes currently has this up, no idea if they will add any other bets.

2016 US Presidential Election - Winner
Republican wins Presidential Election +150
Democrat wins Presidential Election -170

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pacific Standard had a great piece on the decline and fall of InTrade. I guess the CEO died on Mt Everest just as auditors were starting to descend on the outfit. But the most hilarious bit:

Pacific Standard posted:

With trading volume down, Intrade’s ability to predict winners waned in the 2012 election. (Perhaps reflecting the libertarian longings of the remaining Intrade betters, the market overrated Ron Paul’s chances of winning.)

Now there is predictit.org, which is legal according to this Washington Post article. Seems like the crowd here skews academic and I wouldn't trust it to be as representative as InTrade was at its prime.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I think there are some goons who made upwards of 40k on intrade.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pong Daddy posted:

I don't know about legitimate sites, but when I was looking I found this site.

Which lets you bet on Schwarzenegger winning the nomination

An 80:1 shot for Demolition Man coming true and an Amendment allowing naturalized citizens to run? :allears: That's not half bad actual- wait what am I saying?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Haha PredictIt has a 7% chance of a third-party candidate winning, which is utterly ridiculous and I now regret bringing the site's existence to the attention of this thread.

Of course, it's only in Beta now, so it's possible that over time it would gain sufficient scale to iron out idiocies like that, but who knows.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

GalacticAcid posted:

Haha PredictIt has a 7% chance of a third-party candidate winning, which is utterly ridiculous and I now regret bringing the site's existence to the attention of this thread.

Of course, it's only in Beta now, so it's possible that over time it would gain sufficient scale to iron out idiocies like that, but who knows.

Yeah I just threw $20 at the site and I'm only betting on absolutely ridiculous scenarios that aren't being rated 99-1

edit: Also clearly the correct thing to do is spread this site to places like Freep or the Sean Hannity forums or whatever :unsmigghh:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Rick Santorum visited Fort Campbell today to sign copies of his new book Bella's Gift.

Of course they are all MP's.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I never heard Ted Cruz' speaking voice before, he sounds like he's a man suit piloted by weasels and the smartest weasel sits in the mouth with a mic

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GalacticAcid posted:

So you could get an easy win by betting against a third party winning, is what you're saying. Guaranteed profit right there.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I never heard Ted Cruz' speaking voice before, he sounds like he's a man suit piloted by weasels and the smartest weasel sits in the mouth with a mic

He sounds like Nathan Lane.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nintendo Kid posted:

So you could get an easy win by betting against a third party winning, is what you're saying. Guaranteed profit right there.

Well- the 'No' shares are currently going at $.97 so if you're willing to throw a couple hundo at it you could make a couple of bucks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Has anyone read Doug Henwood's anti-Hillary essay in Harper's? It's paywalled. I'm debating whether to make a voyage to the public library to give it a read.

I can't imagine it could be more brutal than the Jackson Lears review of her book Hard Choices from the London Review in February. He eviscerated her tenure as Secretary of State (and also sheds some tears at the grave injustices perpetuated by 'identity politics').

Jackson Lears posted:

Clinton started exploring ‘what it would take to stand up a carefully vetted and trained force of moderate Syrian rebels who could be trusted with American weapons’. She enlisted Petraeus, by then head of the CIA, in her campaign: encouraging the right sort of rebels, they argued, would get us in the game so we could be more effective in isolating the militants and empowering the moderates. The moderates were (or would be) mainly a creation of the CIA. The plan to arm them resembled the search for a mythic Third Force between communism and capitalism, the dream that animated Graham Greene’s Quiet American in Vietnam in the 1950s, and that has inspired counterinsurgency fantasists ever since. Obama was unpersuaded. He asked for ‘examples of instances when the US had backed an insurgency that could be considered a success’, Clinton recalls. She didn’t have an answer and Obama stood firm. It was one of the high points of his presidency: for once a pragmatic concern for consequences shaped policy. But last August Obama finally yielded to interventionist demands amid the hysteria over Isis, leaving us with the incoherent policy of opposing both the Assad regime and its main challengers (though the administration now seems to be inching towards tacit tolerance of Assad). Clinton can claim that she was urging this muddle on Obama long before he finally and reluctantly accepted it. That is cold comfort for anyone envisioning her in the White House.

Of course, Hillary is only awful insofar as she resembles a Republican, so I'll still gleefully pull the lever for her in the general. But I hope O'Malley can articulate a foreign policy package that eases up on the Exceptionalism and charts a more practical course so I can feel decent about my primary vote.

Edited to add: O'Malley sounded like poo poo this morning when Stephanopoulos asked him about national security threats. He mumbled that "nuclear Iran" was the greatest "man-made threat" and hastened to add that climate change was the greatest "natural threat."

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 29, 2015

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Venom Snake posted:

Of course they are all MP's.

What's this mean? Genuinely curious

EDIT: Not what MP means but the insinuation

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

GalacticAcid posted:

Has anyone read Doug Henwood's anti-Hillary essay in Harper's? It's paywalled. I'm debating whether to make a voyage to the public library to give it a read.

I can't imagine it could be more brutal than the Jackson Lears review of her book Hard Choices from the London Review in February. He eviscerated her tenure as Secretary of State (and also sheds some tears at the grave injustices perpetuated by 'identity politics').

Of course, Hillary is only awful insofar as she resembles a Republican, so I'll still gleefully pull the lever for her in the general. But I hope O'Malley can articulate a foreign policy package that eases up on the Exceptionalism and charts a more practical course so I can feel decent about my primary vote.

Edited to add: O'Malley sounded like poo poo this morning when Stephanopoulos asked him about national security threats. He mumbled that "nuclear Iran" was the greatest "man-made threat" and hastened to add that climate change was the greatest "natural threat."

If you aren't primarying or caucusing for Sanders you're doing it wrong.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

register republican so you can vote in a primary that is not a foregone conclusion, increase the (unfortunately slim) chances that the GoP nominates a gratuitously unelectable idiot, leading to a landslide loss that will damage the republicans the way the Reagan landslides damaged the democrats

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Question: Has there been any polling data on the people who stayed home in 2012 because they thought Obama wasn't liberal enough vs. those who stayed home in 2012 because they thought Romney wasn't conservative enough?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Question: Has there been any polling data on the people who stayed home in 2012 because they thought Obama wasn't liberal enough vs. those who stayed home in 2012 because they thought Romney wasn't conservative enough?

I would think either number would be negligible compared to the amount of people who stayed home due to Apathy or general disengagement. It is easy to find data backing this up, though I've never seen a survey with the kind of specific ideological splits you're looking for.

In general the people who care a whole lot about liberal/conservative agendas also care a whole lot about combatting the opposite agendas, and (given the means to reach the polls) will bite the bullet and vote for The Lesser of Two Evils.

We can say that this benefits republicans moreso than democrats, as it is well-known that the democratic coalition is larger and includes more low-turnout demographics.

quote:

Nonvoters are much more likely to say that they would have voted for Obama than Romney (44% vs. 26%).

But I'd say this is less "Obama is not liberal enough" and more "democrats have failed to adequately impress upon people the importance of voting, in comparison with republicans who have repeatedly convinced their base that the world will immediately end in fire and blood if a democrat is elected", combined with potential democratic voters being more vulnerable to logistical problems (inability to get off work, lack of convenient transportation to polling sites)

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 30, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The BPC has a decent report with party turnout on a by-state basis. I think the big takeaways are that less states were considered in contention (turnout did not decline much in battleground states, or even increased) and that there was no President Bush to repudiate. I guess that's only tangential to your question, but it's the best I can think of.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Nintendo Kid posted:

3% after 1½ year, you'd probably make as much just sticking it in a high interest bank account.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

kissekatt posted:

3% after 1½ year, you'd probably make as much just sticking it in a high interest bank account.

Yep. And the real bet is whether or not the site will even exist when it's time to pay out

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why would you bet on elections when you can bet on sports

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

PupsOfWar posted:

why would you bet on elections when you can bet on sports

If I'm going to be governed by psychopaths I'd at least like a return

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the info. I dunno, it seems like an interesting question to ask non-voters if they would have voted had Santorum gotten the nomination. I can see a few million thinking that Romney and Obama were basically the same and it wasn't worth bothering, but if the GOP had chosen the guy who called rape babies a gift from God, you bet your rear end they'd be at the polls.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Malloreon posted:

1. not letting a known terrorist come to the US as a diplomat

To be fair, if you're apparently going to draw legislative inspiration from Batman comic books, the storyline where the Joker talks Iran into making him their ambassador so that he has diplomatic immunity isn't the worst place to start.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pong Daddy posted:

I don't know about legitimate sites, but when I was looking I found this site.

Which lets you bet on Schwarzenegger winning the nomination

I remember them! They're the guys who sponsored Dennis Rodman's North Korea trip and violated UN sanctions by giving Kim Jong Un a bunch of fancy alcohol and other assorted "gifts."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New CBS News poll.

The number of Republicans who know who Lindsey Graham is and hate him continues to surprise me. The negatives for Christie do not.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

New CBS News poll.

The number of Republicans who know who Lindsey Graham is and hate him continues to surprise me. The negatives for Christie do not.

Where did those 2% no votes for Hillary go?

EDIT: It's somehow unsurprising that the only movement since February on the Democratic side was in Biden's unfavorables.

He clearly knows how to speak to women voters.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 30, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

W

Where were those 2% no votes for Hillary in January?

She wiped them from the server.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Once you count in the risk of the site going under with your money and the rate of return you get on the cash locked up for that long it's pretty bad.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Joementum posted:

New CBS News poll.

It amazes me that Jindal is slightly gaining support.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Where did those 2% no votes for Hillary go?

Right next to Vince Foster.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The Aardvark posted:

there are a nontrivial number of republican voters who think obama only won due to the mysical powers conferred by brown skin

why wouldn't they want their own version?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

The Aardvark posted:

Nostalgia for Kenneth now that 30 Rock is over

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

New CBS News poll.

Wanna meet the one percent of republicans who learned about Cruz in the past month and went gently caress that noise.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Look at that O'Mentum: 3% to 12% in just one month!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pinterest Mom posted:

Look at that O'Mentum: 3% to 12% in just one month!

Its almost as if his name got mentioned on TV!

So 12% is the baseline for "person has a name that appears more than once a week on tv"

Which means things are looking up Biden

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
There hasn't been much discussion around the new anti-voting measures that a lot of states have pushed through.

The American Prospect wrote about this at length in the Fall , drawing from research performed by the Brennan Center .

I'm worried about the effects in the general and it will only get worse after the 2014 debacle.

The American Prospect posted:

North Carolina has the dubious distinction of having the nation’s harshest and most sweeping new voting law. Enacted immediately after the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act last year, the law slashes seven early voting days, imposes a strict photo ID requirement, eliminates same-day registration, stops pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-olds, prohibits the counting of provisional votes cast outside of voters’ home precincts, and more. Other than the photo ID requirement, which will be implemented in 2016, all of these changes are currently in effect.

The elimination of same-day registration and out-of-precinct provisional balloting can also do damage. In 2012, nearly 100,000 citizens used same-day registration in North Carolina, almost one-third of whom were African Americans. Nationally, same-day registration is generally credited with boosting turnout by as much as 5 to 7 percent.

Fun fact: 3 states had ineligible felon populations larger than the margin of victory in 2012 ~ Florida, NC, and Georgia.

Anyway, hopefully the courts mitigate some of the damage. Plus Hillary should do a little bit better with "likely voters" (read: whites) than Obama did. Still, these are real hurdles and I'm not sure the polling data or prediction markets are fully taking them into account.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

evilweasel posted:

Once you count in the risk of the site going under with your money and the rate of return you get on the cash locked up for that long it's pretty bad.

You're not allowed to even have any appreciable amount of money in the site anyways. It's all just for play.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I follow a Ted Cruz supporter page on facebook for fun and it's, well, it's awful. But suddenly a tremendous thing is happening: the same stupidity that has hoisted him up as the imagined frontrunner in 2016 is cannibalizing itself over his citizenship and his fathers history. It's too good. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

You can't not post screenshots.

• Locked thread