Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Androids/Cell are basically goof free aside of 19's design and Hercule, and that's just tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ginyu Force were mid-bosses, though. The main villain of the Buu Saga for a solid third of it was a goofy fat guy with weird powers. Super Buu was when things got serious... until the gotenks poo poo fest.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean even once Super Buu has eaten Gotenks, Piccolo, and Gohan and starts being all erudite he still gets his rear end beaten by talking candy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah. The Buu Saga has a consistent string of jokes throughout. Frieza really only had the Ginyu Forrce.

Buu Saga had fat buu, great saiyaman, elder kai, supreme kai later on...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm convinced the blue hair figurines are just fakes or miscolors. I hope I won't have to eat my words later.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Keep in mind the editor for the Buu arc was much more hands off than Toriyama's previous editors.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't like calling the Buu arc satire because it goes hand-in-hand with the mean-spirited "Toriyama was forced to work on DBZ and hated every moment of it" rumors. If it's silly (and it is), that's just because Dragon Ball is a weird show in general.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's kind of odd. When I was a kid, I love new transformations and would always look forward to them when they were hinted at. Now, I don't really care about them and, for DBZ, I really don't want there to be any more of them.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
The idea of satirizing your own work inside your own work while its still going on sounds really loving dumb sorry. That is not the same as a wink and a nod or an inside joke. We are talking full blown satire.

People make a lot of excuses for the stupid poo poo in the buu saga for some reason just like they make a lot of excuses why Toriyama forgets half the details to his own story.

Vire fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 30, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It also doesn't work for a guy who honestly seems to have issues remember what poo poo he did or didn't do.

I don't think the guy could satire himself if he tried.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Also saying the Buu arc is self-parody because it sounds ridiculous is not a good argument. Any Dragon Ball arc makes you sound like a total loon if you try to describe it, even the Cell arc.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Buu is unfortunately the least memorable villain in my eyes which is a shame cuz he does poo poo like this.

It doesn't have to be satire to be funny.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Always thought the blind kid thing was filler. Never knew it was actually in the manga.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, that's a good conversation topic: who's the worst villain. GT is cheating.

(I heard tangentially that in Japanese popularity polls it goes Frieza>Buu>Cell?)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Doesn't Buu make himself handsome at one point to pick up chicks, or am I making that up?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

mycot posted:

I don't like calling the Buu arc satire because it goes hand-in-hand with the mean-spirited "Toriyama was forced to work on DBZ and hated every moment of it" rumors. If it's silly (and it is), that's just because Dragon Ball is a weird show in general.

Parody isn't necessarily mean-spirited. The Buu arc pretty much features Toriyama cycling through almost all of the story beats he used previously, and for a lot of the ones he used a lot he poked fun at them. No damning "rrrrghh I hate writing this I'm gonna make fun of how stupid it is" just "hah, I sure do this a lot, huh?"

*Vegeta and Trunks head off in their new Ascended Super Saiyan forms, and after a fierce multichapter battle are eventually rebuffed by Perfect Cell*

*Gotenks flies off the lookout and returns all beat-up in like two panels*

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

mycot posted:

(I heard tangentially that in Japanese popularity polls it goes Frieza>Buu>Cell?)

I mean that's the correct order assuming you file the Saiyan stuff under Frieza. I guess you could haggle Buu's comedy vs Frieza's actual effectiveness.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That isn't parody that is establishing Gotenk's character. Showing him getting beat up does nothing for you so cuting it made sense.

Man you see satire in everything.

all of DBZ is him filtering pervious plot points, sometimes in different order.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You are adorable. :allears:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

BlitzBlast posted:

No damning "rrrrghh I hate writing this I'm gonna make fun of how stupid it is" just "hah, I sure do this a lot, huh?"

That's what satire is, though, it's condemning. Animal Farm isn't an endorsement of communism.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 30, 2015

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Rodyle posted:

Doesn't Buu make himself handsome at one point to pick up chicks, or am I making that up?

Bonus: Buu killing Babidi is pretty violent

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean he is using Satire/Parody interchangeably so he probably got confused.

Also why you shouldn't take him seriously.

edit: drat that is violent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gokou

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

BlitzBlast posted:

You are adorable. :allears:

No offense man but I don't see you really refuting anything he is saying just rolling your eyes and pretending like you are talking to a child doesn't make you right. Like you do realize you have zero evidence of half the poo poo you are saying its just your opinion right?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean he is using Satire/Parody interchangeably so he probably got confused.

Yeah I didn't want to be the Dictionary "this is what words mean" dude but. Here I am. That's why I was trying to move the subject.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh no, Majin Buu is a PUA. :ohdear:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

mycot posted:

I do sometimes genuinely wonder how big the difference between different cultures is when it comes to stuff like favorite character/villain/arc. DBZ is such a global phenomenon that I think you get pretty interesting results.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

BlitzBlast posted:

Man if you need an interview from Toriyama to tell you that the Buu arc dips into self parody

BlitzBlast posted:

Parody isn't necessarily mean-spirited.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't give a gently caress about SSj3, i just hate this dumb bullshit people pull out of their asses. Nothing in the Buu saga makes sense as a satire of the rest of the series.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I will have you know Kao Ken is just Satire of Dragonball, considering it failed to accomplish anything.

CharlestheHammer posted:

So every arc is a parody of the previous arc?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well now I am convinced that none of you know what parody (or satire) is, as none of this fits.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think the guy could satire himself if he tried.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't parody that is establishing Gotenk's character. Showing him getting beat up does nothing for you so cuting it made sense.

Man you see satire in everything.

:allears:

Vire posted:

No offense man but I don't see you really refuting anything he is saying just rolling your eyes and pretending like you are talking to a child doesn't make you right. Like you do realize you have zero evidence of half the poo poo you are saying its just your opinion right?

I tried all of last page and gave up. He's pretty much refusing to drop this and it's hilarious watching him. v:shobon:v

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's important to remember that Toriyama was, and is, a comedy writer before he is a shonen fighting writer. He likes his comedy and sticks to comedy mostly, except when things have to get super serious. Buu Saga was just Toriyama being more Toriyama than the previous arcs, with a heavier emphasis on comedy than the Freeza or Cell sagas, ironically enough considering the destruciton and death in the Buu saga are higher than ever.

Even the last fight between SSJ3 Goku and Kid Buu have them biting each other with really goofy faces.

Battle of Gods is even more extreme about it, being mostly comedy with some serious moments. It works, too, because Beerus is awesome. Seems Resurrection "F" is going to be more Freeza/Cell though, with a much heavier emphasis on fighting than comedy, which I can also accept and enjoy! Freeza's a dead serious villain, so it wouldn't make sense for him to revive in a comedy movie apart from, I dunno, focusing on the Ginyu Force? I'd watch Resurrection "G".

Also there is no way in hell those Blue SSJ figures are not fake. Their hair seems to be the same as normal SSJ Goku and Vegeta but blue, and we haven't seen them in any trailer or magazine scan that I'd expect would show before some random figures.

"Kou" as in "cougar". Japan has used a lot of romanizations for Goku's name, though that's undoubtely the worst.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 30, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Amorphous Blob posted:

Bonus: Buu killing Babidi is pretty violent

Wait, this actually happened too? I also thought this was anime-only filler.

That's unfortunate. I remember this part making me uncomfortable when I was a kid.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

e X posted:

I do sometimes genuinely wonder how big the difference between different cultures is when it comes to stuff like favorite character/villain/arc. DBZ is such a global phenomenon that I think you get pretty interesting results.

I asked about this earlier and the results were kinda disappointingly uniform. Everyone likes Piccolo and Vegeta.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Watching Dragonball for the first time since I was a kid makes me feel like the Red Ribbon arc really is my favorite. It's got your serious stuff, your goofy stuff, and everything works at a nice scale.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You didn't post evidence what are you on about. I am also pretty sure vire has read the start of the conversation.

I do agree that the Buu arc is more goofy that previous arcs(like others I thought a lot of that was filler), but it isn't a parody unless you twist the word to meaninglessness.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 30, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

BlitzBlast posted:

I tried all of last page and gave up. He's pretty much refusing to drop this and it's hilarious watching him. v:shobon:v

That's just having a conversation though. You're kinda easily entertained.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mycot posted:

I asked about this earlier and the results were kinda disappointingly uniform. Everyone likes Piccolo and Vegeta.

I dunno. Piccolo and Vegeta seem to be more liked as heroes than villains. Everyone I've met likes the badass antihero Vegeta, not the evil villain Vegeta, as well as Best Dad Piccolo instead of Best Son Piccolo.

When it comes to villains, Cell is very well liked. And well. he is Perfect, so that shouldn't surprise. Gohan vs Cell is basically the best fight in the series too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Watching Dragonball for the first time since I was a kid makes me feel like the Red Ribbon arc really is my favorite. It's got your serious stuff, your goofy stuff, and everything works at a nice scale.

Personally I prefer the King Piccolo arc the most, but yeah Red Ribbon was really great too. I actually feel like Dragon Ball was overall better than Z, which is why it's kind of a shame it's not as famous.

mycot posted:

That's just having a conversation though. You're kinda easily entertained.

Not gonna deny that, but when a dude is so eager to Win An Internet Argument that he jumps on the other dude when he's already given up it's kind of great.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean look at that.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 30, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Blaze Dragon posted:

I dunno. Piccolo and Vegeta seem to be more liked as heroes than villains. Everyone I've met likes the badass antihero Vegeta, not the evil villain Vegeta, as well as Best Dad Piccolo instead of Best Son Piccolo.

When it comes to villains, Cell is very well liked. And well. he is Perfect, so that shouldn't surprise. Gohan vs Cell is basically the best fight in the series too.

Cell is also the only Dragon Ball character where I like both his Japanese and English voice actors.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Remember how we were talking about the universal popularity of DBZ? This just happened at Wrestlemania and it was glorious:

Why, yes, that is indeed Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and undefeated UFC champion Ronda Rousey, the latter of whom is wearing a Vegeta shirt.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
See, I think Cell is by far the worst of the villains. He started out looking cool and got progressively less interesting with each transformation until we are left with incredible dull looking 'Perfect Form'. I also hated the Cell games as a kid, with the exception of course of Mr. Satan. Her is another interesting case though, since he seems to get a ridiculous amount of hate in America.

Also yes, DB has overall better fights, because by DBZ, Toriyama seemed to have forgotten how to end fights, as they kept dragging on way past their natural ending point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So we had a yellow powerup, a red powerup, and now a blue powerup.

... I want a green powerup next!

• Locked thread