Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

maev posted:

:allears: So pretty. (gently caress you unicums with 3 stars on everything, this is good enough for me.)

Getting three stars would require playing 100 games in a tank. I ain't got that kind of time. Though I'm at >80% in the T37 with only 65 games in it so I guess I should go for it there.

The playerbase is loving terrible if I can deal more damage in 65 games than 80% of them can deal in 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Hellsau posted:

Getting three stars would require playing 100 games in a tank. I ain't got that kind of time. Though I'm at >80% in the T37 with only 65 games in it so I guess I should go for it there.

The playerbase is loving terrible if I can deal more damage in 65 games than 80% of them can deal in 100.

Ross, Hardest and I made a pretty good argument for eugenics earlier today. Granted, it was on US West, which is not the best.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 29, 2015

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Getting three stars would require playing 100 games in a tank.

I got three stars on the T21 in less than 50 games.

It is pretty mindblowing how bad people are in it.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Can someone explain or link how to add if a user is running xvm to the player panel?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Salean posted:

Can someone explain or link how to add if a user is running xvm to the player panel?

This would probably show who the idiots are better than seeing their stats.

Also, I just wasted 300k free exp and 7 million credits getting the 4202 from the Centurion, so add me to the idiot list. :suicide:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

The Southern Dandy posted:

1 star is good enough for me. *cries into the pillow*
I just recieved my first on the KV3 after over 2k games played. :)

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
This game is like riding a bike if 80% of the population is incapable of riding a bike.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
:siren: :ghitler: ACHTUNG EUROTANKERS :ghitler: :siren:

I'm going to try to run some skirmishes tomorrow around 8PM GMT, in order to fund the ever-increasing strategic ambitions of [2PAC]. If you're down for shooting red tanks, occasionally listening to calls and trying desperately to phase out whatever retarded conversation currently taking place at the [2PAC] TS you should join us. If there's enough interest I might even turn it into a regular thing!

What you need to participate for the tier 6 skirmishes:

• A tier 6 tank. (Preferably a light tank or a fast medium tank if you don't want people to laugh at you, but we can do with heavies or even certain TDs as well.)
  • Teamspeak 3 client to better coordinate our group efforts against bads online. For best performance, consider muting certain forums user GiantHurtBall ASAP.

You also ought to be in [2PAC] to participate, for an easier skirmish startup process. If you haven't already I suggest checking out our very own thread in PGS. (It's terrible)

Some choice screenshots of previous skirmish battles:

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Rutkowski posted:

I just recieved my first on the KV3 after over 2k games played. :)

I'm old, and often at fault.

Also, you're lovely at English.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 30, 2015

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Didn't have LT-15 on. :suicide:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Soulfucker posted:

:siren: :ghitler: ACHTUNG EUROTANKERS :ghitler: :siren:

I'm going to try to run some skirmishes tomorrow around 8PM GMT, in order to fund the ever-increasing strategic ambitions of [2PAC]. If you're down for shooting red tanks, occasionally listening to calls and trying desperately to phase out whatever retarded conversation currently taking place at the [2PAC] TS you should join us. If there's enough interest I might even turn it into a regular thing!

What you need to participate for the tier 6 skirmishes:

• A tier 6 tank. (Preferably a light tank or a fast medium tank if you don't want people to laugh at you, but we can do with heavies or even certain TDs as well.)
  • Teamspeak 3 client to better coordinate our group efforts against bads online. For best performance, consider muting certain forums user GiantHurtBall ASAP.

You also ought to be in [2PAC] to participate, for an easier skirmish startup process. If you haven't already I suggest checking out our very own thread in PGS. (It's terrible)

Some choice screenshots of previous skirmish battles:

I would like to join this but I am not european, can you make me?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Plus how do you know the persons stats are actually an indication of their skill? It's far too easy to pad stats and people do it so how do you measure some ones skill? You might get a matchup that on W/R looks even but one side may be full of stat padders while the other teams tomatoes might have made the effort to learn the game more over the last 100 matches and it still is a one sided stomp.

With a truly random MM it will statistically provide a mostly even team most of the time with only platoons messing with the randomness. Anything else will just end up being a massive fuckup
I've been on teams where people claimed we had a 3% chance of winning and they suicided to get out of the game. Fairly often we steamroll the other team.
I've also been on teams that are like 'this is a sure win. they stand no chance' and lost in the first two minutes because of stupidity.
Stats are only a good indicator of skill if they're accurate and honest.

Frankly any fair system that incorporates stats into it's MM in WoT is going to end up the same as it is now because Platoons are what mess things up. And if you want to platoon with more than 2 people there's team battles for that.

Mans posted:

literally every MOBA has a skill MM system and the variants aren't that different.
And literally every MOBA game needs it more than WoT because you can fill your side of the team with people you know and curbstomp randoms which means that the MM has to take that into account and throw randoms at you that are more likely to team up to try and make things even.

About the only issue I have with WoT's MM system is it's sadistic (and completely anecdotal) tendency to toss me into bottom tier matches when I'm a few games away from a critical upgrade in guns :argh:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

A skill based mm would have made me quit sooner because it means you constantly have to tryhard it. There goes driving bad tanks and not being platooned. It's bad enough being in an environment where people actually expect you to be good and consistently give a drat about pubs.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Won skirmish semifinals with random pubbie team while we were down players. Premium account ran out - probably not going to renew it for a while. The playerbase is just so bad.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
is it just me or do tanks that actually existed irl look better than the ones that existed only in blueprints/models

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

is it just me or do tanks that actually existed irl look better than the ones that existed only in blueprints/models

I dunno, the E-50s look pretty sick. And the Sau 40 is a real tank.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

unlimited shrimp posted:

One thing WG do is that they add a bunch of spare track links, tool boxes, fuel cans, logs and whatnot to mass-produced tanks while they keep the prototypes intentionally bare. Personally I enjoy the variety of having both.

Also mass-produced tanks get higher priority when it comes to converting old models to HD.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Out of morbid curiosity I decided to watch a review of the Cent 7/1 QB did about six months ago, in which he leaves it ~up to the viewer~ which gun to use with what can only be called damningly faint praise for the L7A1. He also highlights the Cent's phenomenal view range, while carrying vents over optics, giving him an actual view range of 431 metres. For reference, my Cent's actual VR is 473 metres, meaning I can outspot all but about four or five tanks in the game and also outspot poorly-crewed Fattons. He also had to go back to pre-9.0 replays to find exemplary games, apparently, which is a bit amusing.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

T-54 prototype cannot come fast enough. The Matilda IV is a crusty turd of a machine.

The Matilda IV owns at tier, and is a far better tank than the sluggish, inaccurate pile that is the T-54 prototype, whose mobility compares unfavourably with that of a large block of sandstone.

Steelion posted:

My Caern was blessed by the same British Tank gods that blessed my and everyone else's Black Prince apparently, since I did pretty drat well in the thing, despite its plentiful flaws.

e: their favor appears to have left me now that I'm in the Conqueror, though. drat fickle Brits.

British tanks are magical devices which are far better in actual practice than their stats suggest they have any right to be.

Speaking of superior British engineering, check out that 2-plane stabiliser (buff Brit med OTM accuracy pls WG) and the rate of fire on that 20pdr :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcRpeSSwpvE

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This tank might not be great but it sure makes credit grinding fun.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1751844#erlenberg-axetrain-t-34-3

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

rossmum posted:

Speaking of superior British engineering, check out that 2-plane stabiliser (buff Brit med OTM accuracy pls WG) and the rate of fire on that 20pdr

:britain: Where are the buffs WG.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
You won't outspot in a Caern considering camo,Ross.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Talking about the Cent. I know its camo is pretty poor but there is a lot to be said for that VR, and I think the Fatton's camo is as bad or worse anyway.

Also I've read reports from RTR tankies in Korea about loaders sustaining a rate of fire of a round every two to three seconds until they were passing out from the fumes, even with all hatches open and the driver standing on the back of the tank passing shells in through the escape hatch :britain:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How is the T57 fair? Jesus Christ this is like whack a mole but instead of moles its retards.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

rossmum posted:

Also I've read reports from RTR tankies in Korea about loaders sustaining a rate of fire of a round every two to three seconds until they were passing out from the fumes, even with all hatches open and the driver standing on the back of the tank passing shells in through the escape hatch :britain:
Wouldn't the gun barrel overheat/warp/melt from that?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I log into tanks and the first thing I see is the following, which I have entitled "dekatris.png":

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Take a break between switching between World of Tanks and World of Warships.

I finished playing my Fuso and loaded up my E100, and.... led a tank by a good 4 tank lengths while realizing I didn't need to do that.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

rossmum posted:

Talking about the Cent. I know its camo is pretty poor but there is a lot to be said for that VR, and I think the Fatton's camo is as bad or worse anyway.

11.51% base on the Centurion 7/1 vs 13.34% base on the M46. They have the same view range. In practice if both have optics, camo paint and 100% camo skill the M46 wins the spotting war by about 10-15 meters.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 30, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rossmum posted:

British tanks are magical devices which are far better in actual practice than their stats suggest they have any right to be.

Speaking of superior British engineering, check out that 2-plane stabiliser (buff Brit med OTM accuracy pls WG) and the rate of fire on that 20pdr :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcRpeSSwpvE

Jesus loving christ :stare: Reduce alpha to 180 on 20pdr, increase RoF to that :D Big bulky Comet permatrackin' er'rybody.

e: Primelaw I need advice - is the Challenger playable, or is it Primelaw-"playable"?

e2: same with VK3001P.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 30, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

Take a break between switching between World of Tanks and World of Warships.

I finished playing my Fuso and loaded up my E100, and.... led a tank by a good 4 tank lengths while realizing I didn't need to do that.

I played ships for a few days straight and then switched to tanks, very first round I immediately drove my tank into the water because I forgot how fast they go compared to ships.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I think I'm going to stop grinding the 13-75. I know people say the 13-90 is worth it, but I'm just getting obliterated in tier x matches all the time in this. The only strategy I haven't tried in it is just pressing r about 4 times and alt tabbing to youtube. I did that through one french tank, I may have to do it in another.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wouldn't the gun barrel overheat/warp/melt from that?

Eventually. 20pdr barrels are relatively simple to replace and wore out fast anyway due to being a pretty crazy powerful gun.

Atomizer posted:

I log into tanks and the first thing I see is the following, which I have entitled "dekatris.png":

:allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stupid newb question, are there any T4 lights that have gameplay somewhat similar to the PZIC? I realize they won't necessarily have machine guns, but zipping around like an rear end in a top hat is valuable to me, and I'd like to also complete the LT missions.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

Stupid newb question, are there any T4 lights that have gameplay somewhat similar to the PZIC? I realize they won't necessarily have machine guns, but zipping around like an rear end in a top hat is valuable to me, and I'd like to also complete the LT missions.

The Luchs has a machinegun, although it's not as hilarious as the PzIC one, and it's zippy as all hell.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ensign Expendable posted:

The Luchs has a machinegun, although it's not as hilarious as the PzIC one, and it's zippy as all hell.
Seems sweet, I may even have it unlocked already. :woop:

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

My idea of a 'skill based MM' is both teams getting 44% mongoloids in their top 5 heavies not just the team you're on.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Nessus posted:

Luchs is a good one for tier 4, but if you want to go up to higher tiers, the American light tanks are the closest approximation you'll find. They don't have MGs, but several of them do have autoloaders which are the higher tier equivalent of MGs. For instance, the M41 Bulldog has a 10-round autoloader that can dump 1500 damage in 20 seconds.

The Soviet MT-25 (tier 6) also has a hilarious machine gun that can shoot something like 1200 damage in a few seconds, but it has really low pen, so you really have to work hard to find one of the few tanks in the game you can damage (usually only from behind, point blank). And the reload is insanely long. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0J2kKZpIrM

edit: I like that the MT-25's autoloader has HE shells... 19 pen and 50 damage. I guess if you're up against a bunch of the armorless German TDs...

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 30, 2015

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Uranium 235 posted:

Luchs is a good one for tier 4, but if you want to go up to higher tiers, the American light tanks are the closest approximation you'll find. They don't have MGs, but several of them do have autoloaders which are the higher tier equivalent of MGs. For instance, the M41 Bulldog has a 10-round autoloader that can dump 1500 damage in 20 seconds.

The Soviet MT-25 (tier 6) also has a hilarious machine gun that can shoot something like 1200 damage in a few seconds, but it has really low pen, so you really have to work hard to find one of the few tanks in the game you can damage (usually only from behind, point blank). And the reload is insanely long. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0J2kKZpIrM

edit: I like that the MT-25's autoloader has HE shells... 19 pen and 50 damage. I guess if you're up against a bunch of the armorless German TDs...

It is a guaranteed pen against the Scorpion, unless they buff the armor 20x. Fire HE at Scorpions everybody :v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

subhelios posted:

It is a guaranteed pen against the Scorpion, unless they buff the armor 20x. Fire HE at Scorpions everybody :v:

Naw, at the low pen levels HE stops working like HE. It's liable to deal 0 damage even to a tank with no armor. Luchs HE vs. WT100 gun shield will either full pen or deal nothing. The HE mechanic needs some work.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Hellsau posted:

Naw, at the low pen levels HE stops working like HE. It's liable to deal 0 damage even to a tank with no armor. Luchs HE vs. WT100 gun shield will either full pen or deal nothing. The HE mechanic needs some work.

The scorpion only has 1mm armor (last I played it on Test), so wouldn't all hits against it be full pens then?

E: I admit to not knowing about it not working like normal HE though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah the Scorp has literally 1 mm armor.

Here's what the armor scheme looks like for both the hull and turret:
<armor>
<armor_1>1</armor_1>
</armor>

Whole thing is just one armor group that's a single mm thick.