Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's a levy to pay for a system that's supposed to ensure the solvency of the banks. It shouldn't be encouraging withdrawals. That's rather self defeating.

If it encourages withdrawals en masse, won't that prompt the banks to offer a better incentive to keep your money with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-30/thompson-shouldn27t-face-civil-trial-due-to-serious-mental-hea/6358222

I'd never dismiss claims like this out of hand but he would not appear to have a record of honesty.

Obligatory got a fool for a client too.

Eh.... I wouldn't dismiss it outright. When I worked in the courts one thing I noticed is being on the arse end of court action can really crush people. Like even civil trials often end up with plantifs weeping and behaving erratically, just because theres so much at stake and most people aren't as emotionally strong as they think they are.

Criminal cases are worse though. A not uncommon way for a criminal case (particularly homicide and child sex abuse cases) to be aborted is because the defendant has straight up topped himself and theres nobody to prosecute anymore

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

norp posted:

What I was getting at was that the only people who have to pay this tax will be those with no net debt on their personal balance sheet. First thing that came to mind was people living hand to mouth, but retirees commonly have large cash balances to avoid risk which would have been the better example.

If it negatively affects retirees with large cash balances I just assume it won't make it through the legislature anyway, or if it does it'll utterly torpedo the LNP's credibility with their biggest source of swing voters so either way I'm ok with it in the context its been explained here.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

If it encourages withdrawals en masse, won't that prompt the banks to offer a better incentive to keep your money with them?

Banks have been offering lousy interest rates on savings for ages now and no one makes a fuss.

I'd be happy to be surprised though, imagine if the deposit levy finally got people paying attention and thinking about switching banks.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Amoeba102 posted:

Cash deposits in mattresses will go up, I guess. Despite it being a worse option than leaving it in the bank - unless you for some reason have it sitting in an effectively 0% interest account.

Also stupid regress tax. Why not just adjust income tax.

The only way to adjust income tax is to raise it and/or introduce higher brackets. This would be an acknowledgement that the Howard government introduced the structural deficit we have in the budget.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Nibbles! posted:

The only way to adjust income tax is to raise it and/or introduce higher brackets. This would be an acknowledgement that the Howard government introduced the structural deficit we have in the budget.

No, no he didn't. Saint Howard was perfect. Labor broke the bank and that's why we have to do this, if they'd just kept up with Howard's policies of surplus and tax cuts we'd be fine.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://greenagenda.org.au/2015/03/the-oldest-game-in-town/

Scott Ludlam wrote a pretty good essay about cities. Worth your time.

Scottie L posted:

Cities are where our species will probably stand or fall this century. Half the global population, and growing; seventy percent of greenhouse gas emissions, and growing. Command centers of political and cultural power; hubs of commerce and innovation, improvised sprawl assemblages of disease and poverty. Cities are simultaneously intergenerational colonial structures of tarmac and steel ramifying across the landscape as the decades turn, and places of grace and creativity where time spent with our extended human family teaches us the meaning of community. They are places where economic and social inequality are given concrete, seemingly immovable expression in housing typologies, service delivery and quality of life. Cities can lift our eyes towards the stars, bring us together or crush us with loneliness; we shape our cities, the saying goes, and then they shape us.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

- Retirees with large cash balances have an incentive for the RBA interest rate to rise;
- The RBA won't raise interest rates until the economy is doing better;
- The economy won't do better until business and consumer confidence is higher;
- Consumer confidence won't get higher until we all know we will have jobs in the future and more steady amounts of disposable income to spend;
- Business confidence won't get higher until there's more certainty about what opportunities present themselves for investment;
- More and better paid jobs require demand from business;
- Business requires demand from consumers and government;

If consumers won't provide the demand until they have more security, who do you think should be providing demand then?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

duck monster posted:

Eh.... I wouldn't dismiss it outright. When I worked in the courts one thing I noticed is being on the arse end of court action can really crush people. Like even civil trials often end up with plantifs weeping and behaving erratically, just because theres so much at stake and most people aren't as emotionally strong as they think they are.

Criminal cases are worse though. A not uncommon way for a criminal case (particularly homicide and child sex abuse cases) to be aborted is because the defendant has straight up topped himself and theres nobody to prosecute anymore
Obviously you are correct.

Thompson has though put on theatrics in the past in an attempt to weasel out of his own predicaments. As fragile as his own state be his histor cannot be denied.

If he is so afflicted the judge should not be allowing him to represent himself and he should be assessed.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

- Retirees with large cash balances have an incentive for the RBA interest rate to rise;
- The RBA won't raise interest rates until the economy is doing better;
- The economy won't do better until business and consumer confidence is higher;
- Consumer confidence won't get higher until we all know we will have jobs in the future and more steady amounts of disposable income to spend;
- Business confidence won't get higher until there's more certainty about what opportunities present themselves for investment;
- More and better paid jobs require demand from business;
- Business requires demand from consumers and government;

If consumers won't provide the demand until they have more security, who do you think should be providing demand then?

The government, isn't that the basic tenet of Keynesianism?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Les Affaires posted:

Just (casually) reading the Rio Tinto 2014 annual report, they have about 12b in cash and cash equivalents. If they hold all of that in cash, and all of it was held in Australia, that's $6m in extra revenue to the government. While a 100% scenario is unlikely, a fair majority of it would need to be held here just to pay for operating the business.

That's not a lot of revenue for the amount of political capital they're going to have to spend implementing it, though. The banks are against it (some of the most powerful institutions in Australia) and it's very easy to run attack ads that just say "TAXING ARE HARDWORKING FAMILIES EVERY TIME THEY HAVE TO BUY FOOD MISTER SPEAKER", such as the LNP did when the ALP proposed this last term.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNwgjVzkT-I

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Murodese posted:

That's not a lot of revenue for the amount of political capital they're going to have to spend implementing it, though. The banks are against it (some of the most powerful institutions in Australia) and it's very easy to run attack ads that just say "TAXING ARE HARDWORKING FAMILIES EVERY TIME THEY HAVE TO BUY FOOD MISTER SPEAKER", such as the LNP did when the ALP proposed this last term.

Nope. The only thing that trumps industry attack ads is whether the opposition gets on board to do the same. How likely do you think it is that the ALP will oppose this measure?

The fact that Bowen has been on air calling them hypocritical is telling - it's safer to call the government hypocrits if you agree with the measure, than to outright oppose the measure in the first place.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
They're going to get shitslammed if they raise the GST as suggested on the ABC this morning, as well - the ads for that would be hilariously easy. $550 a year from the carbon tax is nothing compared to 5% on every single purchase made throughout the year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Raising the GST is a much bigger deal because it gets the states involved as well. Doing it without running an election campaign on it would be a loving mess.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Murodese posted:

They're going to get shitslammed if they raise the GST as suggested on the ABC this morning, as well - the ads for that would be hilariously easy. $550 a year from the carbon tax is nothing compared to 5% on every single purchase made throughout the year.
The 10% GST rate is arguably the third rail of Australian politics. Let's hope Joe is dumb enough to touch it.

What the LNP will likely do is shovel more into the GST category. Unless it still has dirt on it or blood dripping off it it will probably end up attracting a GST.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

The 10% GST rate is arguably the third rail of Australian politics. Let's hope Joe is dumb enough to touch it.

What the LNP will likely do is shovel more into the GST category. Unless it still has dirt on it or blood dripping off it it will probably end up attracting a GST.

To be hideously flippant, would that mean the LNP would *remove* the GST from female sanitary products?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

If he is so afflicted the judge should not be allowing him to represent himself and he should be assessed.

If the judge thinks this is necessary, then its exactly what will happen, the court will arange a legal aid lawyer, and if necessary suspend proceedings until he's healthy again, which is possibly indefinately if he's truly bonkers. That said anything like that will go through a court appointed forensic psychologist first, and they tend to be fairly pro at spotting people faking out the insanity defence.

As this is a civil case, the judge isn't going to let a guy get crushed because he's having a hard time. Civil cases are *not* about guilty vs innocent, but rather resolving a dispute, and if the dispute can't be resolved because one plantif is barking, then it'll get put on the backburner until thats not the case anymore, and likely the judge would be pushing things toward arbitration anyway.

It does sound like, however, the judge isn't completely convinced (Although its possible this is all a setup to enable appeals). Frankly the dude should get a good lawyer or he's going to end up living in a box.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 30, 2015

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Tim Blair tears

TEARS posted:

Green in my seat ignites an itch for pedantry

THE population of inner Sydney is extremely dense. Just how dense was shown on Saturday, when Greens candidate Jenny Leong won the newly-created inner-Sydney seat of Newtown.

As a Newtown resident, two weeks ago I received a warning that this terrible result was on the cards when a couple of young Greens volunteers dropped by during a doorknocking campaign for their ridiculous party.

They were extremely personable and polite. We enjoyed a brief chat about the new seat (“It’s very exciting!”) before I gently indicated I wasn’t a Greens voter and that they may find a more receptive audience elsewhere.

This usually switches your typical Green into evangelist mode. A few years ago, for example, a doorknocking Greens volunteer simply wouldn’t stop arguing for her cause, even when I walked away and went back to watching the cricket. Impressively, she kept it up for nearly an entire over. It wasn’t a spinner, either.

But my more recent visitors were entirely different. “OK!” the two young women said brightly. And then they just … left. Extremely unusually for Greens, they exhibited the confidence of actual winners.

As I nailed a coal seam gas investment prospectus to the front door to ward off any further Greens intrusions, I began to wonder what life might be like if the Greens somehow won. Now that it’s come to pass, my course of action is clear.

I must become the most irritating and infuriating component of any western democracy: the committed and involved constituent.

Talk to any retired state or federal representative and they will tell horror stories about that one particular constituent who could not let any issue go by, no matter how tiny or irrelevant, without at the very least an office meeting or a volley of phone calls and emails.

I must become the most irritating and infuriating component of any western democracy: the committed and involved constituent.
The worse of these pollie-botherers will carefully schedule their meeting demands during parliamentary non-sitting times, when they know their representative is exposed and vulnerable. They keep files of news clippings and hand-written notes. They organise petitions. They memorise constitutional clauses and know the precise boundaries of their electorate.

They are complete pains in the arse, and I look forward to joining their pedantic, picky, peculiar ranks. From now on the Greens won’t be visiting me. I’ll be visiting the Greens.

oh my god so glorious, cry more you gigantic child

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

duck monster posted:

Frankly the dude should get a good lawyer or he's going to end up living in a box.
None of his old mates seem to be springing the cash for that.

I think we all agree though no-one wants to see people necking themselves over money or a legal process.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Tim Blair tears

Amazing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Jesus why are they still raking him over the coals after all these years. Get over it people.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Tim Blair tears

good thing the Tele isn't a real newspaper

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Remember that Tim Blair when he went to Lakemba and whinged about how all the Muslims, what other suburbs do you think they should send him to next?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Tim Blair tears

Ahaaa gently caress you tim blair hahahahah

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Tim Blair tears

"The Greens used to be persistent and annoying, and that was bad. Now they're quietly confident and stopped wasting my time, and that's worse."

EDIT: He should go to Elizabeth and talk about the dole bludgers.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Tim Blair tears

Holy poo poo.

I love that quip about "evangelist mode". When doorknocking if they aren't interested you just move on to the next house, it's a waste of time trying to convert people.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
On the latest in the Thompson affair. What are they suing for? If it is to recover the funds he was convicted of stealing, why not do that as part of the sentencing phase of the trial? Also what does fair work have to do with it, did he steal from them? If he was convicted of stealing in the magistrates court, then shouldn't the same venue deal with civil claims about the same matters at least?

It makes no sense.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Timbo's let himself down badly there as that bile was just shite.

I'd ask how it got published but, yeah.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
"Some of those kids in the picture will one day get a job and start to pay taxes and a mortgage and support a family and so on . Then they will realise how bad the Greens policies are and changeover to the Libs . The rest however will remain un washed and stupid ."

"The sooner we realise that Greens and Democracy is incompatible, the better. We shouldn't be celebrating the slow and painful death of labor, because the alternative is deadly, and never, ever in the interest of the west."

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
"Exactly!! I left school in at 14, and Im pretty sure I run circles around most of the GP's and scieintists Ive ever speaked to."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
When I was doorknocking for the greens I was often asked if I'd ever had a "real" job. They were surprised that I worked in oil and gas.

Tim Blair: "Take this I'm going to be an informed and active participant in our democracy, that'll sure burn those stupid greenies who have been pushing for more people to be informed and active participants in our democracy."

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Tim Blair is going to become the Jasper character from Mad As Hell.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Freudian Slip posted:

"Exactly!! I left school in at 14, and Im pretty sure I run circles around most of the GP's and scieintists Ive ever speaked to."

I honestly do not comprehend how the loving stupidest people get it into their heads that they're smarter than everyone else. Where does that idea come from?

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

BBJoey posted:

I honestly do not comprehend how the loving stupidest people get it into their heads that they're smarter than everyone else. Where does that idea come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

BBJoey posted:

Their biology, evidentily. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GoldStandardConure posted:

Tim Blair is going to become the Jasper character from Mad As Hell.

I just went back to read parts of the article in Jasper's voice, and I heartily recommend doing so.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I must be super smart on account of my self assessment being "terrible at literally everything".

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

BBJoey posted:

An education system that rewards rote memorisation rather than understanding and critical thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
hi thread i just got back from nine days in nsw where we won a record number of seats did i miss anything

• Locked thread