Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
My last cat liked corn chips, too. Made me reconsider eating them since her food at the time (SD) was probably not too far removed from corn chips. Watch for onion powder in the ingredients list in flavored snacks since it's toxic to cats. Garlic is toxic, too, in larger quantities, from what I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Slobber
May 15, 2011
Is it cool to use the turlit with a cat in the room?

I moved into a place a few weeks ago, and my roommate has two cats. They're cool and all, but sometimes when I need to use the bathroom one of the cats will just be chillin' in there and not want to budge. We only have the one bathroom, so it's like "listen cat, if this is gonna bother you then you should high tail it outta here for a few minutes." But cats don't speak English, so I don't know how the cat feels about all this.

Help me goons.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sgt. Slobber posted:

I moved into a place a few weeks ago, and my roommate has two cats. They're cool and all, but sometimes when I need to use the bathroom one of the cats will just be chillin' in there and not want to budge. We only have the one bathroom, so it's like "listen cat, if this is gonna bother you then you should high tail it outta here for a few minutes." But cats don't speak English, so I don't know how the cat feels about all this.

Help me goons.
The cat is standing guard while you poop. Don't be disrespectful. :colbert:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Science fact: Most cats are reincarnated German bathroom fetishists.

:dogbutton: Öffnen Sie die Tür! Öffnen Sie die Tür!

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My cat always hangs out with me in the bathroom. Her litter box is next to the toilet, so it's often a weird bonding moment when she sees me on the toilet and comes in to use her box at the same time. Sometimes she'll crawl onto the toilet and squeeze between the tank and my back and just hang out there while I'm pooping.

Basically the cats probably like having you in there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My cats love bothering me while I'm on there, since there's a 0% chance I'll try pick them up for cuddles. :v:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
The general direction of this conversation suggests that somewhere in the world, some guy is saving money on toilet paper by having his cat lick his rear end...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It would be less traumatic to use sandpaper

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Tali isn't allowed in the bathroom unsupervised (she gnaws on the toothpaste tube and has punctured one already) so for her it might be a novelty thing. We leave the bathroom door open while one of us is inside it pretty much, so she wanders in and plops herself down on the bathmat, staring. Sometimes she jumps into the tub and lays in there until we shoo her out to shut the door.

If we forget to shut the door you better believe we'll find her laying on the bathmat or in the tub, maybe because it's usually the warmed room in our apartment, maybe because she's loving weird.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ilysespieces posted:

Tali isn't allowed in the bathroom unsupervised (she gnaws on the toothpaste tube and has punctured one already) so for her it might be a novelty thing. We leave the bathroom door open while one of us is inside it pretty much, so she wanders in and plops herself down on the bathmat, staring. Sometimes she jumps into the tub and lays in there until we shoo her out to shut the door.

If we forget to shut the door you better believe we'll find her laying on the bathmat or in the tub, maybe because it's usually the warmed room in our apartment, maybe because she's loving weird.

Cats tend to like bathtubs for the same reason you frequently see them in sinks: especially when it's hot out, sinks and tubs are typically made out of a material that stays noticeably cooler. Tile floors can also achieve the same effect.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Indy will sit and howl outside the bathroom door if I don't let her in. She seems to like just hanging out on the bath mat, but sometimes she thinks it's the perfect time to jump on my lap. :stonk: Plus the litter box is right next to the toilet, so sometimes she'll look at me as if to say "oh, good idea!" and then do her business while staring intensely at me.

Cats.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Why do cats like plastic bags? Is it the sound or the texture?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Therion posted:

I've never had a cat that didn't react strongly, one way or the other, to the sound of a plastic bag, so that'd be my guess.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

bowmore posted:

Is anybody else's cat obsessed with chips? It's not even a particular type of chip, pringles, cornchips, potato chips all in different flavors. Opening a packet of chips in our house is like opening a packet of cooked chicken.

The cat I grew up with LOVED chips. Any flavour chips, although her absolute favourite was salt and vinegar. You couldn't open a bag of chips anywhere on the 90 acre property without her turning up in seconds. My cats now aren't into chips at all, but they've also never had children hanging around all willing to share all their snacks with them.

Sgt. Slobber posted:

Help me goons.

Being catstared while pooping never harmed me. We keep the bathroom door closed if we're not in there because it is the last refuge of stressed or young plants in the house. The older kitty will solicit for pets, and the younger one takes the opportunity to jump in the tub and/or look for flying bugs. If the younger one is left with the door open he likes to poop in the jasmine pot (gotta get some river stones for the top of the pot, I know), but other than that there's no harm in it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Our little rear end in a top hat likes to hide in the bathroom on occasion, which we don't mind since her litter box is at the far end of the bathroom where it's cool and quiet for her. Whenever one of us is on the pot though, she likes to come in, brush up against us and then proceed to knead on and chew on a corner of the bathrug right outside the tub. She likes going in the tub as well after one of us takes a shower to get water there even though we always have some fresh water in her bowl. Weirdo.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
My jerk faces get VERY UPSET if I close the bathroom door. Rattling it, crying, paws reaching under the door. I am convinced that every cat thinks that cat Narnia is behind every closed door and NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to get in.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Therion posted:

I think the *crinkle*crinkle* activates the I HEAR A FOOD MOVING center of the brain, like when a rodent is rustling. The crackle of plastic or paper (especially if he can't see the origin of the noise) will draw Luther out of anywhere whenever he decides to not respond to my calls to him.

I've read that some cats are attracted to the petroleum in the bags, but I'm not convinced even though I once had a cat who would LOUDLY nosh on the bathroom bin liner. She never punctured or shredded one, I think she just liked the noise and the reaction/attention from people. She was a weirdo who could not (or did not care to) distinguish attention for bad behavior from attention for good behavior.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arriviste posted:

I've read that some cats are attracted to the petroleum in the bags, but I'm not convinced even though I once had a cat who would LOUDLY nosh on the bathroom bin liner. She never punctured or shredded one, I think she just liked the noise and the reaction/attention from people. She was a weirdo who could not (or did not care to) distinguish attention for bad behavior from attention for good behavior.

Growing up I had a cat who went crazy for bleach. We quickly had to start putting as many closed doors between him and a freshly cleaned bathroom as possible because if he got in there he'd roll around in it and smoosh his face in it and generally act like it was extra-strength catnip.

Cats are weird.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Bruce the orange stripey cat is adamant that he gets a couple pieces of cheese popcorn whenever the bag is opened. It is Very Important that this happens. He also hangs out in the bathroom while I'm in there, but maybe because that was his room when he first moved in. He used to walk around the edge of the tub during baths, but that ended when he fell in and clawed about three feet of caulk off the wall trying to save himself.

He likes to be on the table during games. He watched a whole game of Star Wars Armada tonight from the far end of the table. Cat likes to be included.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Cythereal posted:

Growing up I had a cat who went crazy for bleach. We quickly had to start putting as many closed doors between him and a freshly cleaned bathroom as possible because if he got in there he'd roll around in it and smoosh his face in it and generally act like it was extra-strength catnip.

Cats are weird.

Mine too.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Therion posted:

My cat licks them.

My brother's cat eats them and then throws up.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Is two cats sniffing each others' noses a sign that they've started getting along better? I've read that this is a friendly gesture.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Therion posted:

Is two cats sniffing each others' noses a sign that they've started getting along better? I've read that this is a friendly gesture.

Most def. It means the two cars don't perceive each other as territorial rivals.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Robo Kitty posted:

Indy will sit and howl outside the bathroom door if I don't let her in. She seems to like just hanging out on the bath mat, but sometimes she thinks it's the perfect time to jump on my lap. :stonk: Plus the litter box is right next to the toilet, so sometimes she'll look at me as if to say "oh, good idea!" and then do her business while staring intensely at me.

Cats.

Larsson will just sit and stare accusingly at me while I poo - it almost, almost gives me a bad conscious.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Anything I can do to help calm a cat that is freaking out due to construction outside?

Just moved with my two cats to a new apartment, and unfortunately there is a giant building being built next door. Construction hours appear to be from 7am to 6pm so it won't be bothering me at all while I'm at work, but one of my two cats is absolutely terrified of the noise. There isn't a room in my small apartment where you can't hear it either. This cat is shy and skittish in general and I worry this is going to affect him even when there is no noise going on. This construction is going to last for months as it appears they just began on the foundation of the building :(

We are getting a Feliway diffuser but not sure how much that is going to help through the constant pounding.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Rorobb posted:

Anything I can do to help calm a cat that is freaking out due to construction outside?

The feliway diffuser, places to hide, and some cuddle time when it's no longer noisy out... Eventually your cat will probably realize that despite the horrible racket, nothing is actually coming to eat him and he will become less afraid. My cats hated construction racket, too, and we're probably due for another round of it this spring. (Lots of roadwork and sewer/storm drain work, yikes.)

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

RedTonic posted:

The feliway diffuser, places to hide, and some cuddle time when it's no longer noisy out... Eventually your cat will probably realize that despite the horrible racket, nothing is actually coming to eat him and he will become less afraid. My cats hated construction racket, too, and we're probably due for another round of it this spring. (Lots of roadwork and sewer/storm drain work, yikes.)

Thanks - I'm probably overreacting but feel bad for the little guy having to deal with this on top of moving. By the way from a pic you posted in the thread looks like you have a cat that looks just like him! On the left here

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Man I'm pretty bummed. I got a decent tax return so I decided to buy the Litter Robot. The thing is awesome but the problem is that only one of my two cats will use it. Dodo has no problem with the thing and took to it immediatly but Beasley is skiddish as hell and basically refuses to use it. She will go as far as sniffing it but she absolutely refuses to use it. I followed the acclimation instructions and the tips for what to do if the cat doesn't take to it but none of it worked. Good thing they offer a 90 day return period but it still sucks. I would have loved to keep this thing, it was really drat efficient.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

visuvius posted:

Man I'm pretty bummed. I got a decent tax return so I decided to buy the Litter Robot. The thing is awesome but the problem is that only one of my two cats will use it. Dodo has no problem with the thing and took to it immediatly but Beasley is skiddish as hell and basically refuses to use it. She will go as far as sniffing it but she absolutely refuses to use it. I followed the acclimation instructions and the tips for what to do if the cat doesn't take to it but none of it worked. Good thing they offer a 90 day return period but it still sucks. I would have loved to keep this thing, it was really drat efficient.
Tried using cat attract litter in it?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Rorobb posted:

Thanks - I'm probably overreacting but feel bad for the little guy having to deal with this on top of moving. By the way from a pic you posted in the thread looks like you have a cat that looks just like him! On the left here

Wow, really alike! :3: Brindle cats, best cats.

Don't worry too much. They're weird for sure, but cats are pretty resilient.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Gillingham posted:

Tried using cat attract litter in it?

I have not. I can try this but I want to see if the Litter Robot people have any final suggestions when I call them tomorrow.

I think she is just really weirded out by the spinning motion which she saw all of twice. I've been using it powered down since then but she still won't get into it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Turns out it is cancer. Not sure what kind of chance a pet has of surviving cancer but I get the feeling its not good.

Didn't make it and didn't last long. He is being put down tomorrow. Everyone is taking it pretty hard. I hadn't seen him much in the past few years since my sister moved out with him but it still really hurts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry to hear that.

Here's my two idiots:

This goes on until they start hissing and yowling and both hide. Moments later they'll be snuggling.

Cats man.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Noticing one of my cats is leaving little rice sized brown things around the area sleeps, very tiny, also tiny black spots.

A cursory search tells me this is fleas and tapeworms, outside of the vet visit I plan to do as a precautionary measure, what else should I do to ensure a flea free home? Also gonna give baths to the other cats to.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vacuum a lot, clean everything the cat likes to sleep on, ask for Revolution. Get it for all the cats. It's fairly expensive but fleas are designed to survive the apocalypse, so they need to be dealt with directly. Not much more to be done than that beyond calling an Exterminator.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
So the treats for teeth are finally emptying out. My cat doesn't seem to like them, and most of the days they are left in the bowl when the food is done. And it's hard to detemine whether there is any effect. I've just happened to be near my cat yawning and didn't smell anything. I then opened her mouth a little... manually, and didn't feel anything either. But maybe it's just my sense of smell. Also my cat's undergone a change of diet (I now put out a measured amount in the morning for the rest of the day), and lifestlyle, at least since the last year, although I'm not sure whether that could have an effect on smell from the mouth. So I really don't know whether I should get another bag of those treats or not. Opinions very much wanted.

Edit: And as incentive, a little cat tongue action.

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 2, 2015

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
We're changing food, my fiance's sister (who worked as a vet tech to put herself through grad school) suggested an allergy or at least irritation with something in her current food (Merrick Before Grain) and suggested a different brand (Wellness something or other), so we're going to order the new food before the old one runs out and hope for the best.

It's also Tali's first birthday in 2 weeks and we're trying to decide on what to get her. Any suggestions on the best [and most durable] things on a string/stick toys? She absolutely destroyed her last one and the pizza tables only hold her interest for so long.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Other flea advice - if you can deal with the hassle of clearing everyone out of the house, setting off a six (+/- as needed) pack of flea foggers all through the house when you kick off fleapocalypse can be helpful. They also make flea traps, which use a glue pad and light to attract the fleas - these are not inherently effective on their own but are good way to check for concentrations of fleas and confirm whether or not you got them all - if fleas keep appearing in your traps keep vacuuming and washing everything. Remember that their eggs will be hanging around for a bit even after the fleas are dead, so it may be prudent to keep up the clean freak act for another week or two after it looks all clear.

Last but important thing - everything should be done at once if you can at all manage it. If you treat the cat and vacuum but leave the bedding then you've left a huge sink for fleas and their eggs. Kill them all at once and you'll be good but if you do it stepwise you're going to have a bad time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Other flea advice - if you can deal with the hassle of clearing everyone out of the house, setting off a six (+/- as needed) pack of flea foggers all through the house when you kick off fleapocalypse can be helpful. They also make flea traps, which use a glue pad and light to attract the fleas - these are not inherently effective on their own but are good way to check for concentrations of fleas and confirm whether or not you got them all - if fleas keep appearing in your traps keep vacuuming and washing everything. Remember that their eggs will be hanging around for a bit even after the fleas are dead, so it may be prudent to keep up the clean freak act for another week or two after it looks all clear.

Last but important thing - everything should be done at once if you can at all manage it. If you treat the cat and vacuum but leave the bedding then you've left a huge sink for fleas and their eggs. Kill them all at once and you'll be good but if you do it stepwise you're going to have a bad time.

A big thing is once you finish vacuuming, you need to empty your vacuum and get that poo poo out of the house. There's no sense of vacuuming each day if you just shove the vacuum in the closet after and all the little fuckers jump out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, it's sort of funny... My cat and I recently had to move what is ultimately a smaller apartment - we went from a 1-bedroom with a kitchen and living room for the two of us (which meant that she practically had the equivalent of her own room if she wanted, though Jackie would always prefer to be in the same room I was in at least 80% of the time) to a studio efficiency, which basically has a small galley-style kitchen in a hallway/entrance area across from a fairly big bathroom, with a big main room. I hang a fabric room divider between the kitchen/bathroom area and the main room/bedroom area. It's a bit of a lifestyle change but it's actually a way better and cheaper apartment in a better part of town, it's just... smaller.

So basically, now me and Jackie are *always* in the same room if I'm home, although she is surprisingly respectful of my space when I need her to be respectful of it. Usually. I sort of worried she would feel claustrophobic in a smaller area but she honestly doesn't seem to mind that at all. As long as she can lay in the sun, get attention from me, and eat tasty food she is quite content. I was just happy there was an adequate out of the way spot for the litter-box, and thankful that Jackie is not a smelly cat in any way.

I mean... Living in such close quarters with a cat could honestly be problematic and I know it wouldn't work for a lot of people. For example, it's not like I can "keep her out of the bedroom". I'd have to lock her in the drat bathroom all night and this is a cat who cannot abide closed doors! But it actually works because she's so chill and actually does what you want her to do. If I really need space I can just tell her to please go lie down and she'll go right over to her little cat-bed behind the futon and lie down and be totally chill. She's just amazingly unobtrusive, but totally happy whenever you want to play or give her attention.

And she still has a perfect record... I've had her well over 4 years now I think, and she *still* has yet to bite me or scratch me in any remotely serious way! And I mean, I've even clipped her razor-sharp claws (she's a polydactyl and some can get ingrown if you aren't diligent) and even while doing that and literally holding out the razor claw and pushing on the pad, she just lets me do it, and simply refuses to harm me. It's honestly crazy and remarkable - I have just *never* seen a cat this unbelievably docile and friendly. I've tried to get her to bite and scratch me while playing so many times but that never works either, the second she gets worked up enough she'll calm down and just wind up grabbing my hand between her paws and licking it instead of biting or scratching it. Ah well.

Sorry about rambling about my cat. I just...need a cat-rambling outlet :catstare: