Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kellsterik posted:

I never got why "community organizer" was a punchline. Is it an issue of suburban dwellers not having any experience with that concept outside like the PTA or what?

FCKGW posted:

I have no loving clue what a "community organizer" is.

It's code for "anarchist terrorist leftie" like Bill Ayers, meant to stir up memories of 60s-70s leftist agitation among the middle class boomers who make up the conservative voter base

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Apparently he worked for this, which did stuff and won awards or something.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Most Americans don't live in communities, they live on islands of rugged individualism and shoot anyone who intrudes, so they wouldn't know s community if their kids slapped 'em in the face for living in such a boring, unorganized, unwalkable piece of poo poo town.

In Chicago? We're the city of neighborhoods. We got community, and we're goddamn well organized.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Most Americans don't live in communities, they live on islands of rugged individualism and shoot anyone who intrudes, so they wouldn't know s community if their kids slapped 'em in the face for living in such a boring, unorganized, unwalkable piece of poo poo town.

In Chicago? We're the city of neighborhoods. We got community, and we're goddamn well organized.
Shut up Rahm.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

site posted:

It now dawns on me that maybe Last Week Tonight might be around since it's only once a week. Really sucks that it's on HBO.

Good chunks of it show up on Youtube.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm so far outside my wheelhouse on the TPP/TTIP that I don't know what's what. Any recommended articles, papers, presentations, etc.?

(Note: I'd probably read PDFs up to 10 pages)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

"Well, I suppose we could offer even more economic incentives to keep the job creators around and screw the city even worse in the long term..."

It just keeps getting worse.

My mayor is a complete and total idiot. I kind of hope all these businesses pissed about RFRA are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts but I have a bad feeling it is just to get more money from "economic development"/bribes.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

It's code for "anarchist terrorist leftie" like Bill Ayers, meant to stir up memories of 60s-70s leftist agitation among the middle class boomers who make up the conservative voter base

Bingo. It was "he's not like you!" through and through.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I kind of hope all these businesses pissed about RFRA are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts but I have a bad feeling it is just to get more money from "economic development"/bribes.

They're doing it because they CEOs who really want to be a part of the modern civil rights campaign! (ten years after the real battles were actually fought) Its stupid, my state has had similar laws on the books for years now, and so does almost half the country. I don't see people rushing to divest from places like Connecticut which passed this stuff back in, I assume, the 90s.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

They're doing it because they CEOs who really want to be a part of the modern civil rights campaign! (ten years after the real battles were actually fought) Its stupid, my state has had similar laws on the books for years now, and so does almost half the country. I don't see people rushing to divest from places like Connecticut which passed this stuff back in, I assume, the 90s.

Back in the 90s, the state RFRAs were a liberal thing. They were basically set up to protect individuals' religious practices from local and state laws. Stuff like schoolgirls being able to wear head coverings in violation of dress codes, providing kosher/halal meals in prison, that sort of thing.

It wasn't until SCOTUS shat the constitutional bed with their Hobby Lobby ruling that conservatives realized they could use RFRAs for institutionalized discrimination. A large part of the reason why the Illinois law is getting called out is because it specifically provides religious exemptions for businesses, not just for individuals. It's also worth noting that the protections only run one way -- an employer can get a religious exemption from duties to their customers or employees, but employees and customers can't get exemptions from policies of business owners. The Illinois RFRA is absolutely a tool of discrimination.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
As far as I can tell the RFRA being used to discriminate against gays thing is more a right wing threat than a realistic fear. Courts have tended to suggest that the "least restrictive means" to end discrimination is government intervention, so RFRA doesn't apply. At the federal level the Hobby Lobby decision states this outright. It also doesn't matter even if it did discriminate, Indiana has no state laws protecting LGBT people anyhow.

Obviously Pence is still a monster for to trying to hurt gay folks. Thankfully this will hurt him if he decides to do a presidential run. I suffered through Pence as a Congressman for years, I don't want him anywhere near the White House.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

People probably wouldn't be rushing to divest if the Republicans hadn't voted down language to make explicit their assurance that the RFRA does not protect discrimination, or if Pence were even able to answer a straight yes-or-no question of "does this law protect discrimination".

But who could have seen this kerfluffle coming in the wake of their innocent attempt to protect freedom? Certainly not the Indiana government, which was warned by the chamber of commerce that this would happen!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

People probably wouldn't be rushing to divest if the Republicans hadn't voted down language to make explicit their assurance that the RFRA does not protect discrimination, or if Pence were even able to answer a straight yes-or-no question of "does this law protect discrimination".

But who could have seen this kerfluffle coming in the wake of their innocent attempt to protect freedom? Certainly not the Indiana government, which was warned by the chamber of commerce that this would happen!

If only there was a state run news agency that could accurately describe what's going on...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
As long as we're talking about ~religious freedom~ in the culture wars, prepare to see an onslaught of your Facebook "friends" sharing this story about an Arizona representative's rhetoric about the need to revive more of Puritan New England's laws to help restore morality in America, probably with some comment that she "tells it like it is."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

If only there was a state run news agency that could accurately describe what's going on...

Eh you know it'd probably be too busy with its relentless reporting on the noble art of deer euthanasia.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

rand paul's "we need a new Revival" talk is just an attempt to spur tourism in the southwestern pennyrile,

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

rand paul's "we need a new Revival" talk is just an attempt to spur tourism in the southwestern pennyrile,

Watch Paul found the Church of Rand

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tobermory posted:

Back in the 90s, the state RFRAs were a liberal thing. They were basically set up to protect individuals' religious practices from local and state laws. Stuff like schoolgirls being able to wear head coverings in violation of dress codes, providing kosher/halal meals in prison, that sort of thing.

It wasn't until SCOTUS shat the constitutional bed with their Hobby Lobby ruling that conservatives realized they could use RFRAs for institutionalized discrimination. A large part of the reason why the Illinois law is getting called out is because it specifically provides religious exemptions for businesses, not just for individuals. It's also worth noting that the protections only run one way -- an employer can get a religious exemption from duties to their customers or employees, but employees and customers can't get exemptions from policies of business owners. The Illinois RFRA is absolutely a tool of discrimination.

Unlike the Indiana law, the Illinois law does not contain provisions overriding other non discrimination laws and ordinances. It is intentionally subordinate to them with a clause making it absolutely, explicitly clear it is not to be used for discrimination. So no, it is nor a tool of discrimination.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Unlike the Indiana law, the Illinois law does not contain provisions overriding other non discrimination laws and ordinances. It is intentionally subordinate to them with a clause making it absolutely, explicitly clear it is not to be used for discrimination. So no, it is nor a tool of discrimination.
edit: sorry, that was answered before.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Barlow posted:

As far as I can tell the RFRA being used to discriminate against gays thing is more a right wing threat than a realistic fear. Courts have tended to suggest that the "least restrictive means" to end discrimination is government intervention, so RFRA doesn't apply. At the federal level the Hobby Lobby decision states this outright. It also doesn't matter even if it did discriminate, Indiana has no state laws protecting LGBT people anyhow.

Obviously Pence is still a monster for to trying to hurt gay folks. Thankfully this will hurt him if he decides to do a presidential run. I suffered through Pence as a Congressman for years, I don't want him anywhere near the White House.

We've got 3 cases of it being used or claimed to being invoked already, with the law less than a week old and not taking effect until July. A call in to a radio show claiming to be a restraunt that was turning away gay couples (no way to verify, I'm treating it as someone bullshitting until there is more info), a leather working shop out of Lebanon that declared it wasn't going to do custom work with a religious message unless they approved of the message, and a film production company used it to drop out of post production work on an independent film whose plot was about a lesbian wedding.

And we have local laws that this explicitly over rides. It also permits stomping on other religions.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

We've got 3 cases of it being used or claimed to being invoked already, with the law less than a week old and not taking effect until July. A call in to a radio show claiming to be a restraunt that was turning away gay couples (no way to verify, I'm treating it as someone bullshitting until there is more info), a leather working shop out of Lebanon that declared it wasn't going to do custom work with a religious message unless they approved of the message, and a film production company used it to drop out of post production work on an independent film whose plot was about a lesbian wedding.

And we have local laws that this explicitly over rides. It also permits stomping on other religions.

Could you refuse service to someone for disobeying the sabbath?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Angie's List is really struggling and recently laid off a bunch of people, so they are likely using it for cover of their other failings. I'll be absolutely shocked if anything larger like the NCAA or the conventions actually move, this will be out of the news cycle soon enough.

Fun fact: the Dems offered an amendment to this bill to prevent it from being used for discrimination (like the Illinois bill has and like what was used to kill the Georgia bill). It was voted down by the Republicans.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well of course it was; that amendment was redundant. It's clear what this bill means, stop lying about what this bill is! We don't need an amendment to clarify what is already so plain and obvious, stop this offensive witch-hunt of asking me whether the bill is discriminatory, Hoosiers don't discriminate!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It makes a frightening kind of sense when you realize these people are insisting this sharia law poo poo in Indiana is non-discriminatory because they believe gays aren't human.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Where's the Church of Satan in all of this? Normally they're the ones to scare these idiots into not doing what they want by threatening to put up statues of Baphomet or something.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Oracle posted:

Someone needs to check and see if Pence grew up in a sundown town (probably 50/50 chance if he's actually from Southern Indiana).

Any town south of Indianoplace, save for Bloomington, likely is. The sundown town I'm most familiar with in that part of the state is Martinsville.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

As long as we're talking about ~religious freedom~ in the culture wars, prepare to see an onslaught of your Facebook "friends" sharing this story about an Arizona representative's rhetoric about the need to revive more of Puritan New England's laws to help restore morality in America, probably with some comment that she "tells it like it is."

I look forward to a nationwide ban on Christmas.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 30, 2015

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PupsOfWar posted:

bill haslem, though he's stronger than most of these midwesterners

Haslam's entire college degree push/"Drive to 55" seems designed to give him something to run on nationally. I get the distinct sense that he's positioning himself to take advantage of the collapse of the Tea Party in the near future.

CheesyDog fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 30, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Any town south of Indianoplace, save for Bloomington, likely is. The sundown town I'm most familiar with in that part of the state is Martinsville.

Sundown towns don't really have any relationship to geography like that. In fact, you're more likely to hit sundown towns as you move further north than you are as you move further south.

I grew up in a sundown town that's an exurb of Chicago.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ErIog posted:

Sundown towns don't really have any relationship to geography like that. In fact, you're more likely to hit sundown towns as you move further north than you are as you move further south.

Which one is that? I didn't realize Illinois had any.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

ErIog posted:

The closest Michigan has to that is Livingston County/Howell. Very white county and the people who live there want it to stay that way.

mastershakeman posted:

Which one is that? I didn't realize Illinois had any.

Illinois has plenty. You've never heard of Anna?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

CheesyDog posted:

Haslam's entire college degree push/"Drive to 55" seems designed to give him something to run on nationally. I get the distinct sense that he's positioning himself to take advantage of the collapse of the Tea Party in the near future.

aw man, I want to believe in One Good Republican

within the context of tennessee haslam is admirable, a relative moderate reining in the mad dogs of the tennessee state legislature (perhaps the worst state legislature in the country) and at least trying to offer genuine alternatives to democratic policy rather than hollering about how The End is Nigh all the time, even if these alternatives are often goofy and/or terrible.

within the national context he is a dangerous Reasonable Regressive figure with a god-awful messy approach to tax policy and a worrisome association with some of the worse elements of the Religious Right

on the one hand a Haslam presidential run might be interesting in that he'd be the first guy since Perot who could finance his own campaign through personal and family wealth rather than relying on the republican donor class. On the other hand haslam is the republican donor class so you're not getting rid of 'em so much as cutting out the middleman

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 30, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The closest Michigan has to that is Livingston County/Howell. Very white county and the people who live there want it to stay that way.

Illinois has plenty. You've never heard of Anna?

The half of Illinois below the mason Dixon line doesn't count!

Apparently Illinois had almost 500 of them, I'm more interested in any north of i80 I guess.

Edit: almost everywhere was sundown in Illinois. http://sundown.afro.illinois.edu/sundowntownsshow.php?state=IL

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 30, 2015

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

FCKGW posted:

It's someone who helps those "urban people".

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

saintonan posted:

It's someone who helps those "urban people".

Hipsters...

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

The half of Illinois below the mason Dixon line doesn't count!

Apparently Illinois had almost 500 of them, I'm more interested in any north of i80 I guess.

Edit: almost everywhere was sundown in Illinois. http://sundown.afro.illinois.edu/sundowntownsshow.php?state=IL

The Florida page lists Miami Beach which hasn't been like that since like the 1960's. Also Ocoee which which had a notorious race riot almost a hundred years ago but I doubt that anyone nowadays has even heard of it.

edit: lol the Arizona page lists Scottsdale. Yeah that guys list is untrustworthy to say the least

edit 2: Maybe his list is also places that used to be sunset town or something? I don't know. My point is that I don't think half of Illinois is made up of sunset towns.

Dr. Tough fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 30, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Obama is visiting the land of his birth in July.

E: also I seemed to miss this, but what did Scott Walker say about Obama and evolution?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

Obama is visiting the land of his birth in July.

E: also I seemed to miss this, but what did Scott Walker say about Obama and evolution?

People have been telling him to go back to Kenya his whole presidency. He's just listening to his constituents!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1stGear posted:

People have been telling him to go back to Kenya his whole presidency. He's just listening to his constituents!

I'm just curious if he's gone to Kenya during his term before and what irritating social media jokes we can expect.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Is that the one that was covered under the VRA until not too long ago?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

I'm just curious if he's gone to Kenya during his term before and what irritating social media jokes we can expect.

See case study: Dave Chappelle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Barlow posted:

I suggest you read the article where they interview the people who helped write the bill:

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/27/religious-freedom-supporters-mostly-silent/70557506/

• Locked thread