Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

What is a good computer game to play when you don't want to put any mental effort into it?

Besides Puzzle Fighter, Bejeweled, or Peggle

audiosurf

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

I know we don't really talk about simulators here much, but I figured I'd write up at least the current one I'm messing with. I've been playing DCS: Bf 109 K-4 "Kurfürst". It's a study sim on the late World War II aircraft. I picked it up on the steam sale, 70% off DCS modules until the end of tomorrow I think, so I only have had a couple hours in it. From the manual I know it's got a ton of improvements from the original Bf 109.

So that kind of makes me wonder if the original Bf 109 was a basically just a suicide booth.

It's fairly easy to start up. You depress the circuit breakers on the panel under the window edge on the right, you turn the fuel pumps (located inconveniently under the throttle in a way that you have to move the throttle forward to engage them) to P1 & P2 (one pump on the top, one on the bottom, so the engine always got fuel during manuevers), you engage both magnetrons, set prop angle to auto and radiator management to auto. Have ground crew crank it and pull the start lever after priming fuel pressure to in between the two lines on the top right dial. Very smooth startup, but that's where the problems start.

This plane is by far the hardest to take off that I've flown in simulation. It's also the only plane I've flown that has several failure modes that'll kill you while taxi-ing. The Bf 109 had no nosewheel steering, so all taxi movement is done by accelerating, then applying the wheel brake for the left or right; brake right, you'll, turn right, brake left, you'll turn left.

But there's an incredibly amount of left-turning torque that comes from accelerating the drat thing, so you start to veer to the left, the more you accelerate, the harder it turns left. So that has to be comensated for. If you hold the brake too long, you'll rapidly tip the craft over and probably break a wing, and you'll likely start a fire. So gentle taps.

That taxi-ing is fairly normal for the period (the Fw-109 dora is the same way), though the delicate nature of it isn't. Anyway, it's combined with the absolutely shockingly bad view out of the cockpit on the ground. You cannot see anything in front of you at all. You have to look to your sides to make sure you're lined up on the cockpit, and god help there's nothing in the way after you got into place. Then you start your roll. Holy poo poo. You cannot pull the stick back -- that's utter suicide. You have to start with some right rudder (to counterbalance the torque from the acceleration turning you left; watch your position indicator above the artificial horizon) and also stick input to the right and paradoxically down. As you speed up, lower your rudder input, adjust with taps on the wheel brakes (this feels waaaay wrong to me but it was the only way I got it in the air) and adjust your stick forward more and to the right more to keep things level. You don't take off with flaps.

Basically, everything is trying to knock the drat plane over and send you tumbling on fire off the runway. Your job is just to throttle up slowly while balancing all that out. Eventually, it flies itself off the runway. It's very annoying to be pitching forward and to the right the moment it does, as you generally don't want to be pitching back toward the ground once you get off the ground. It's just terribly designed.

Once its in the air you can trim it out and it becomes amazingly stable and quite nimble. If the airspeed dips below 400 or so, you get incredibly squirrely, but above it it can do a lot. It also has a supercharger system. You can feed water-ethanol into the supercharger and get an impressive degree of extra performance out of the thing. But make sure you actually stocked water-ethanol, as if you actually have fuel in that tank (for extended range)? Your plane explodes. You have to set the switch for it being fuel instead of being the 'blow my loving plane apart' button.

Landing is even worse though. I've yet to land one without damage, though I imagine after a couple more hours of practicing I'll get it. The flaps are such a pain in the rear end to deploy, taking >30 seconds to go to fully extended. You drop airspeed, and try to get a good approach, and ... flare? You can't see poo poo out of the cockpit when you go back into the 'landing' angle. My fourth take off and landing attempt, I recorded, and here it is. It's embarrasingly bad but you can get a feel for how challenging this aircraft is on the ground. This was a really bad approach at the landing too by the way, I descended FAR too fast, but I'm still not use to lack navigational aids for this old aircraft.

(It should be at 1080p later, it's still processing right now).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtnZkW39QUA

Also I don't know why the audio comes through like that, I'll look into it if anyone wants to see more videos, it just comes through blaringly loud on recording even though its not that loud in play.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

joke_explainer posted:

I know we don't really talk about simulators here much, but I figured I'd write up at least the current one I'm messing with. I've been playing DCS: Bf 109 K-4 "Kurfürst". It's a study sim on the late World War II aircraft. I picked it up on the steam sale, 70% off DCS modules until the end of tomorrow I think, so I only have had a couple hours in it. From the manual I know it's got a ton of improvements from the original Bf 109.

So that kind of makes me wonder if the original Bf 109 was a basically just a suicide booth.

It's fairly easy to start up. You depress the circuit breakers on the panel under the window edge on the right, you turn the fuel pumps (located inconveniently under the throttle in a way that you have to move the throttle forward to engage them) to P1 & P2 (one pump on the top, one on the bottom, so the engine always got fuel during manuevers), you engage both magnetrons, set prop angle to auto and radiator management to auto. Have ground crew crank it and pull the start lever after priming fuel pressure to in between the two lines on the top right dial. Very smooth startup, but that's where the problems start.

This plane is by far the hardest to take off that I've flown in simulation. It's also the only plane I've flown that has several failure modes that'll kill you while taxi-ing. The Bf 109 had no nosewheel steering, so all taxi movement is done by accelerating, then applying the wheel brake for the left or right; brake right, you'll, turn right, brake left, you'll turn left.

But there's an incredibly amount of left-turning torque that comes from accelerating the drat thing, so you start to veer to the left, the more you accelerate, the harder it turns left. So that has to be comensated for. If you hold the brake too long, you'll rapidly tip the craft over and probably break a wing, and you'll likely start a fire. So gentle taps.

That taxi-ing is fairly normal for the period (the Fw-109 dora is the same way), though the delicate nature of it isn't. Anyway, it's combined with the absolutely shockingly bad view out of the cockpit on the ground. You cannot see anything in front of you at all. You have to look to your sides to make sure you're lined up on the cockpit, and god help there's nothing in the way after you got into place. Then you start your roll. Holy poo poo. You cannot pull the stick back -- that's utter suicide. You have to start with some right rudder (to counterbalance the torque from the acceleration turning you left; watch your position indicator above the artificial horizon) and also stick input to the right and paradoxically down. As you speed up, lower your rudder input, adjust with taps on the wheel brakes (this feels waaaay wrong to me but it was the only way I got it in the air) and adjust your stick forward more and to the right more to keep things level. You don't take off with flaps.

Basically, everything is trying to knock the drat plane over and send you tumbling on fire off the runway. Your job is just to throttle up slowly while balancing all that out. Eventually, it flies itself off the runway. It's very annoying to be pitching forward and to the right the moment it does, as you generally don't want to be pitching back toward the ground once you get off the ground. It's just terribly designed.

Once its in the air you can trim it out and it becomes amazingly stable and quite nimble. If the airspeed dips below 400 or so, you get incredibly squirrely, but above it it can do a lot. It also has a supercharger system. You can feed water-ethanol into the supercharger and get an impressive degree of extra performance out of the thing. But make sure you actually stocked water-ethanol, as if you actually have fuel in that tank (for extended range)? Your plane explodes. You have to set the switch for it being fuel instead of being the 'blow my loving plane apart' button.

Landing is even worse though. I've yet to land one without damage, though I imagine after a couple more hours of practicing I'll get it. The flaps are such a pain in the rear end to deploy, taking >30 seconds to go to fully extended. You drop airspeed, and try to get a good approach, and ... flare? You can't see poo poo out of the cockpit when you go back into the 'landing' angle. My fourth take off and landing attempt, I recorded, and here it is. It's embarrasingly bad but you can get a feel for how challenging this aircraft is on the ground. This was a really bad approach at the landing too by the way, I descended FAR too fast, but I'm still not use to lack navigational aids for this old aircraft.

(It should be at 1080p later, it's still processing right now).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtnZkW39QUA

Also I don't know why the audio comes through like that, I'll look into it if anyone wants to see more videos, it just comes through blaringly loud on recording even though its not that loud in play.

----------------

joke_explainer

You can see the smoking wreckage of my three previous take off attempts in the video. TAKE OFF. I never in my life have killed my pilot on take off like that so frequently, take offs are generally pretty easy. The Bf 109 K-4 is like, 'You can't get me off the ground? Then you are unworthy. You die.'

Grass Effect

is that the byob vaporwave hidden behind the plane noises

joke_explainer

Grass Effect posted:

is that the byob vaporwave hidden behind the plane noises

yes... I wasn't sure anyone would notice... drat

joke_explainer

Also there's no aileron trim so, like, gently caress you, pilot, hold the stick to the left throughout all level flight

I hope pax technica doesn't read this because he would have a ridiculous own with "what level flight"

Grass Effect
that landing... that ending... I was enthralled the entire time. A+ job there friend!

joke_explainer

Grass Effect posted:

that landing... that ending... I was enthralled the entire time. A+ job there friend!

thanks man, but I doubt the luftwaffe would have ever let that pilot get into the air again. It would have been decent for a crash landing I guess. From the video its hard to see how difficult it was to keep the thing from rolling as it went off the runway, somehow it stayed together though. That was my best landing of like 12 attempts... I did several more videos including the startup procedure but none came out this good.

I love the DCS games, but they do require a lot of effort to gain competency. I'll make another video once I get it with this craft, but yeah. On average, the more pilot-oriented, forgiving aircraft in the series take about 10 hours of practice to get competent with basic flight. The less friendly ones, its all over. The UH-1H helicopter is about 12-16 hours I'd say of good practice. This guy though? I think it'll be at least 24-30 hours.

joke_explainer

nice, its rendered up to 1440p now!

Here's a video of a real takeoff and landing a couple generations back from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9mEv5Ve54

That's an expert pilot and the takeoff still looks dicey as heck. The landing, too, you see he is WAY underthrottled for the approach. You're not supposed to do that, as it gives you no chance to wave off if things are going sour. but i didn't really see any other way to get that unstable bird on the ground.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 30, 2015

Grass Effect
I'm sorry I poked fun sarcastically at your landing; I've never flown a plane in a simulation before, let alone real life. You're already way ahead of me.

joke_explainer

Grass Effect posted:

I'm sorry I poked fun sarcastically at your landing; I've never flown a plane in a simulation before, let alone real life. You're already way ahead of me.

oh, ha, I thought you were legitimately complimenting the near-crash. I have to admit I was surprised I wasn't dead!

Grass Effect

joke_explainer posted:

oh, ha, I thought you were legitimately complimenting the near-crash. I have to admit I was surprised I wasn't dead!

before you hit the pavement I was thinking "oh... you know, that was surprisingly smooth... hey, why is the horizon still skewed?" and then it hit the ground lmao

Scaly Haylie

i edited my character in reign of kings to have baby hands.

Bwee
hello! i haven't played video games in forever and now i'm playing pillars of eternity. can anyone recommend a good main character build? Thank you,.

Scaly Haylie

Bwee posted:

hello! i haven't played video games in forever and now i'm playing pillars of eternity. can anyone recommend a good main character build? Thank you,.

stout

Pro Target

its fucke dup that i need to play monster hunter, bloodborne and now in a week etrian mystery dungeon at the same time... too many good games

dogcrash truther

Pro Target posted:

its fucke dup that i need to play monster hunter, bloodborne and now in a week etrian mystery dungeon at the same time... too many good games

they're trying to break you

dogcrash truther
"May you always have interesting video games to play" - ancient Japanese curse

Pro Target

dogcrash truther posted:

Bwee

dogcrash truther posted:

cute anime girl

dogcrash truther posted:

Brexit the Frog

dogcrash truther posted:

Scaly Haylie

did anyone get reign of kings yet

bog pixie

Bwee posted:

i have this but i dont know how to answer your question. im a chanter. just dont double click items to equip them because it can erase your racial bonus forever. hope that will be fixed soon

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

dogcrash truther posted:

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

its ironic because the japanese haven't actually contributed towards that curse

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

Jerry Cotton posted:

what the gently caress

cute anime girl

Jerry Cotton posted:

you people seeing this sh)t??

dogcrash truther

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hmm let me look in my extensive mod notes on posters: "Jerry Cotton. Known troll."

nvm no cake

Jerry Cotton posted:

your dumb

Al Borland

by XyloJW

Jerry Cotton posted:

Additional criterion: Must entertain a person not on the spectrum

lemmings.

----------------

joke_explainer

the 70% off DCS titles sale is over btw. hope everyone interested was able to grab it. :evilbuddy:

3D Megadoodoo

lemmings: the game known for not requiring active thinking

3D Megadoodoo

some people need to take a :chillpill:

Al Borland

by XyloJW

Jerry Cotton posted:

lemmings: the game known for not requiring active thinking

what you're not supposed to watch them get made into paste?

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

Al Borland posted:

what you're not supposed to watch them get made into paste?

Not as long as I can asplode them into atoms

3D Megadoodoo

I ended up just dicking around in San Andreas without actually playing the game. But the 360 version is somehow jankier than it was when it came out months ago :confused: and I cant be arsed to dig out my Xbox controller

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

last night i rang the 2nd bell of awakening in dark souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEExCEE

ahh, the clash of blows, the ringing of parries, the dramatic freeze frames on super arts.... I live for the thrill of the fight!