Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Played in my first D&D 5e game today - two experienced gamers, an experienced GM, and two entirely new players (my wife and the GM's 10-year-old son). It was pretty baller. The overarching theme for the campaign is, per the GM, "Are you a Bad Enough Dude to defeat the dracolich?"

I have no GM advice to dispense or request with this post. I just wanted to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
I need ways to horribly gently caress with my players while they travel through a post-apocalyptic boreal wilderness. Not combat encounters, but cool survival challenges. Last session I made a simple four days' travel into a harrowing ordeal by use of the following:

- A failed survival roll by the group's ranger resulted in mass diarrhea from inedible mushrooms
- A heat wave that slowed them down and forced them to seek shelter in an abandoned gas station, whereupon OH GOD ANTS EVERYWHERE
- Beat up, tired and smelly, they camped down and went to take a bath in a lake, where a character was promptly dragged down by a mutant fish with arms and almost drowned
- They couldn't even ditch the fatigue by resting because that guy was so beat he had to sleep through the night and only two were available to stand guard, and at that point they were too terrified of the wilds to spend a day in camp

And they loved it. I guess it's refreshing for the Badass Heroes to have to deal with indigestion. However, I know that if I am to keep up the theme and make them consider everything more than a day's march away "far", I need some more variety to feed their masochism. We're playing Savage Worlds and most survival stuff involves simple "roll Vigor or take fatigue" stuff, which is decent filler but not very active. I've also made them use up valuable supplies like coffee and soap that they previously viewed as trade fodder, but this is also passive. I need stuff that isn't combat but requires them to think outside the box to solve.

Help me out, give me creative ways to poo poo on the characters' lives! (possibly literally)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

McSpergin posted:

:vince: and this is why I asked! One is a psyker too so I can definitely work something in. Thanks for the help

cool! come back and tell us how it goes i love insane wh40k aars

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Guildencrantz posted:

I need ways to horribly gently caress with my players while they travel through a post-apocalyptic boreal wilderness. Not combat encounters, but cool survival challenges. Last session I made a simple four days' travel into a harrowing ordeal by use of the following:

- A failed survival roll by the group's ranger resulted in mass diarrhea from inedible mushrooms
- A heat wave that slowed them down and forced them to seek shelter in an abandoned gas station, whereupon OH GOD ANTS EVERYWHERE
- Beat up, tired and smelly, they camped down and went to take a bath in a lake, where a character was promptly dragged down by a mutant fish with arms and almost drowned
- They couldn't even ditch the fatigue by resting because that guy was so beat he had to sleep through the night and only two were available to stand guard, and at that point they were too terrified of the wilds to spend a day in camp

And they loved it. I guess it's refreshing for the Badass Heroes to have to deal with indigestion. However, I know that if I am to keep up the theme and make them consider everything more than a day's march away "far", I need some more variety to feed their masochism. We're playing Savage Worlds and most survival stuff involves simple "roll Vigor or take fatigue" stuff, which is decent filler but not very active. I've also made them use up valuable supplies like coffee and soap that they previously viewed as trade fodder, but this is also passive. I need stuff that isn't combat but requires them to think outside the box to solve.

Help me out, give me creative ways to poo poo on the characters' lives! (possibly literally)

Dilemmas. resources they can claim at a cost, a caravan has run out of water, what do you do, etc

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Guildencrantz posted:

You could have them face off against a force of nature, like a rolling bone - stripping dust storm, or a horde of rabid/infected creatures. You could go the STALKER route and have them go through an area affected by mysterious anomalies (gravity randomly reversing, miniature points of light that suck you in, fog that strip skin from bone). Or go a LoTR route and have them have to either attempt a treacherous mountain crossing or go under the mountain, through a blighted vault/bunker filled with all sorts of nasties.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
How do you all print your maps? Do you print maps or just use a mat and use whiteboard markers on it?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

I forgot to mention the lay of the land - it's mostly dense coniferous forests peppered with lakes, the nearest mountain is several hundred kilometers away. (A post-apocalyptic version of the region we live in IRL) Due to this, water isn't a huge deal, provided you have access to basic filtration, although food is more of a problem because the climate is hosed. This is also my excuse for uncharacteristically violent weather patterns, but I'm keeping to the laws of physics and wet woodlands are definitely not sandstorm territory :) (plus if I utter the word the entire table is guaranteed to start beatboxing that loving song)

Although that did give me the idea of straight up brutal tree-toppling, people-lifting gales of wind that throw around branches, rubble and spread irradiated particles! Also forest fires, since right now it's summer, winter will be miserable enough without my needing to torture them more.

Thinking in terms of dilemmas is also a great idea, moral and resource ones. Next time they urgently need shelter it'll be occupied by some local dirt farmers who don't want to let them in, I haven't been pushing the "how far are you willing to go to survive" angle enough.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Squirrels. Thieving bastard intelligent squirrels, stealing everything that isn't nailed down, throwing nuts at the PCs, chewing through ropes, and running off squealing when they're hurt. Because they're playful baby giant squirrels, and now they've gone to tell the adults, who are the size of large dogs, with the smarts and the attitude of babboons. :tipshat:

Ropesnakes: snakes that have evolved to look like ropes, and now the prey comes to them!

Hornets.

Rain of petrol/oil. Then, on the distant horizon, they see a flash of light, hear thunder...

Stampede of random huge mutant animals.

A herd of mimics start following them, copying their appearance and everything they do, harmless but creepy and infuriating.

Quicksand./ mud.

They ferryman is a bear wearing a straw hat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Our next big storyarc involves a zombie plague running rampant. Both the royal magician and an independent one have developed a protective elixir (Dishonored was pretty good you guys). The king uses martial law and daily measured doses of the elixir to keep the population in check and stifle the approaching revolution, the independent guy will sell his to anyone with the cash and occasionally distributes it for free among the poor, along with hidden revolutionary leaflets. There should be a nice moral choice somewhere in there.
Quoting myself because I think I figured out the moral choice aspect: the actual goal of the party is to sort out whoever is behind the zombies in the first place. Once they do that the king's troops won't have to defend the smaller villages anymore, and he will suddenly have enough manpower left over to crack down on the independent guy and keep martial law established. But if they support the independent mage, The People Will Rise. As a baseline for what happens without more player input, that should do.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

But I find that operating under the assumption that "PCs will kill things" and then letting yourself be pleasantly surprised if they choose another option gives me the most flexibility.

Very true. I think it was rope kid in the Fallout: New Vegas thread that mentioned the design philosophy for the game included (paraphrased) "Assume the player will kill every NPC as soon as he is allowed to put his crosshairs on them." And designing your adventures in a similar manner can only be helpful.

Personally, I've gone both ways.

I once designed an encounter in a wuxia game where the players would encounter a column of Imperial troops and a general riding with them in a carriage. I had intended this to be a combat, with notes on what the general and his companion could do, as well as a skeleton of how fighting atop the speeding carriage would work in the system. Instead, the players impressed the general with their courtesy and got invited to share the carriage and discuss the state of the empire. They were later attacked by ninjas, who are notoriously hard to diplomacize.

And on the other side of the coin, the party I was nominally leading encountered a "villain" (To this day we're still not quite sure just what his deal was) and his entourage. Every clue the DM showed us (Including a skill roll to determine martial prowess) told us this guy was out of our league, this was entirely a diplomatic situation. My character had to grow a conscience, though, because what the guy had been doing was pretty horrible. Suddenly, oh poo poo, this guy hits hard. Oh poo poo, his entourage made of ogres hits hard. Oh poo poo, Summon Monster I isn't helping. Quick, full-round Diplomacy and hope the DM doesn't want to kill us!

The DM did not want to kill us and I think the natural 20 helped. This was the start of our party becoming infamous for talking most villains over to at least neutrality, culminating (shortly before the campaign got lost in a hard drive crash) in talking a load-bearing boss into committing suicide while an actual combat went on behind us.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Atmosphere-building encounters and offhand remarks go a long way too.

For instance:
  • Randomly have *something* loving with the party every night: making noise, leaving desiccated corpses as totems in their camp site, maybe helping them find a safe path one day, but then the next day leading them into a lair of radioactive army ants.
  • Add in random glimpses of a mythological beast or legendary creature that "shouldn't exist", yet the party sees it (or do they?)
  • An outpost that has bright lights and noise coming from it, but upon arriving in the morning it's completely desolate.
  • Radio chatter. This could lead the party to the above, or just unnervingly click in randomly. Or maybe if the party turns off their radios, they hear the sound of hissing static . . . Coming right from behind them!

Moral choices are great too. Like if they find a line on a storehouse of food and ammo, but after securing it (maybe after a grueling process of disarming traps) a caravan of starving refugees happens to show up.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

Also forest fires, since right now it's summer, winter will be miserable enough without my needing to torture them more.

This is really the best background to the rest of the perils.

Day 1: They notice smoke off in the distance

Day 2: The smoke has erupted into a large, roaring forest fire and the winds are shifting in their direction

Day 3: A gale begins to blow in their direction and the forest fire is racing to them

Now, every other peril and dilemma you throw at them has the element of a ticking clock. They need to move fast or else the fire will catch up with them. Rest? We don't have time for that! Holy crap, an old convenience store that looks to still have some goods. How did the scavengers miss this? Do we have the time to stop and loot it? There's an old hermit on the trail trying to flee the flames too, but he won't make it at this pace. Can we really slow down to help him? Maybe there'd be time if we hadn't stopped to loot that place. etc.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for a good virtual tabletop to use for a in-house game, I basically want to control everything on my screen and on a second monitor or projector or tv or whatever, have that come out. I've been experimenting with a few things, (whiteboards, transperencies, legos) and they all have drawbacks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Roll20 is probably the slickest, but with fewer features(is this still true? I know they even have dynamic lighting now), while Maptool is probably the most powerful, but with the grittiest interface. Although I think Roll20 has a more active life right now and may well do everything Maptool does. http://roll20.net

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Roll20 is probably the slickest, but with fewer features(is this still true? I know they even have dynamic lighting now), while Maptool is probably the most powerful, but with the grittiest interface. Although I think Roll20 has a more active life right now and may well do everything Maptool does. http://roll20.net

If MapTool ever went to a web-based application (or had a central server I could log into, instead of being a server and having to deal with port forwarding), I would go back to it in a second. Roll20 is excellent for what it is and I use it every week (and pay to support it), but MapTool was -- is -- stronger when it comes to making macros for the tokens, which is what I liked the most. I had MapTool macros that would spit out 4e-styled (and AEDU-appropriately colored) HTML-like power blocks with all relevant info already calculated (and could mouseover for detail). Roll20's come a long way on macros, but it's not where I want it yet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Have you looked at their API recently? I haven't looked into it a whole lot, but it looks like they've added a lot of power in that area since I had last played with it. I just wish I could interact with their API from outside the Roll20 environment. I want to integrate it with a TUIO tracking interface and put fiducial symbols on the bottom of all my minis. :getin:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Have you looked at their API recently? I haven't looked into it a whole lot, but it looks like they've added a lot of power in that area since I had last played with it. I just wish I could interact with their API from outside the Roll20 environment. I want to integrate it with a TUIO tracking interface and put fiducial symbols on the bottom of all my minis. :getin:

I'm not a programmer, I'm just a hack who's willing to put the time into adapting macros to improve the game-time experience. I do know they now can reference attributes on the token which is almost there. I still want to format the output in the chat window, though, and I want to be able to use graphic custom dice within Roll20 itself. There's a Star Wars Edge of the Empire die-roller for Hangouts, for example, but as far as I know I can't make macros that interact with that. I would want players to be able to hit a button on their character sheet that says "Ranged -- Light" and have it prompt them for Boost, Setback, Difficulty, and Challenge dice, and then spit out the results the way the current Hangout roller does, maybe with some standard text on how they could spend the Advantage and Disadvantage rolled.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's totally fair, I just wasn't sure when you'd last looked into what they offered. :)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The usual group is getting tired of D&D/heroic fantasy. What the gently caress else is there, that doesn't involve awful loving 90s mechanics? I'm poo poo at running FATE because I have no idea how the game parts work from a GM side, and I can't seem to get players to make good Aspects.

E:

Captain Walker posted:

RULESET: Normal, or at least something without lovely outdated 90s mechanics everywhere. So, not Shadowrun/UA.
SUPPORT: User-generated or Established
CHARGEN: Quick
SETTING: maybe something with guns? Anything other than D&D heroic fantasy. Usual group is sick of it. Fuckers.

FATE probably not an option, it's too much story-game for my players and too much game game for me. They don't make good aspects and I don't know when to compel. What do goons think of Cortex+/Savage Worlds? Should I give up trying to learn GMing forever and consign myself to board games all the time?

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 4, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Apocalypse World and Mutants and Masterminds come to mind, especially if you like their genres.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I like AW, I doubt my group will.

Isn't m&m horrifically unbalanced? I like the supers idea but I doubt it'd work. Again, these fuckin' people barely pay attention as is, I probably don't want a system so complex they have to actually read the rules before coming over.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If they're that unengaged, is there something other than RPGs you can do? If they're not even willing to try something as eminently straightforward as a PbtA engine game, RPGing may not be for you...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

thespaceinvader posted:

If they're that unengaged, is there something other than RPGs you can do? If they're not even willing to try something as eminently straightforward as a PbtA engine game, RPGing may not be for you...

Is there any kind of Fallout conversion for AW because I'd be all over that

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
You don't sound like you're having fun at all. Why not get someone else to try GMing for a bit, see what they do? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but you sound real stressed about elfgames.

Other thing I'd suggest is to come up with a fun setting before worrying about systems - it'll give you more idea what you're looking for. Hell, make a session out of spitballing with everyone, work out something you all want, see if anyone's got any systems they're aching to try, etc. Make a list of wants/don't wants and see what they suggest to you all.

E:

Captain Walker posted:

Is there any kind of Fallout conversion for AW because I'd be all over that

You... Just call things by Fallout names..?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

petrol blue posted:

You don't sound like you're having fun at all. Why not get someone else to try GMing for a bit, see what they do?
pffffffffffffffffffffft ahahaha lol

quote:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but you sound real stressed about elfgames.
I've been busy on the Saturday we would usually play for the last two months. Before that was probably a month of dithering about and trying to think of something fun. You're right, I'm stressed as hell about this and somehow inexplicably didn't realize.

quote:

Other thing I'd suggest is to come up with a fun setting before worrying about systems - it'll give you more idea what you're looking for. Hell, make a session out of spitballing with everyone, work out something you all want, see if anyone's got any systems they're aching to try, etc. Make a list of wants/don't wants and see what they suggest to you all.

Trying this. People are interested in Fallout but this:

quote:

E:You... Just call things by Fallout names..?

doesn't seem like it'd work so good in a system so designed around ~the fiction~. The details of SPECIAL aren't important to me but the mechanical tone does. Fallout is gritty, but not that gritty. Also, psychic maelstrom isn't a thing in that setting.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
New World of Darkness sounds like a good fit? They're in the process of updating their various games to a new, slicker ruleset right now. There are four games under the updated system with plenty of support for running whatever kind of game:
  • Vampire
  • Werewolf
  • Demon
  • God-Machine Chronicle (if you want to play Cthulhu-ish "mostly normal people caught up in crazy supernatural stuff")

If you want gunsbrasting, Demon would be great because it's designed around The Matrix meets Bourne Identity covert action. There's a pretty clear hook for what you can do in tonight's game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm doing an update for Sixthworld since its been known to contradict itself, is kind of light on the play books and requires the Shadowrun arsenal or core books for gear. I want to add moved to the Cyberware, gear and other things but I'm having trouble finding all the inconsistencies. Would you guys mind helping me pin down everything while I work?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/986437/sixth_world_revised.pdf

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 4, 2015

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

Is there any kind of Fallout conversion for AW because I'd be all over that.

I had good luck running a few post apoc campaigns "Fallout style" (wasteland with a few larger cities, centered on weapons combat and no psychic stuff, with heavy dashes of dark humor) using d20 Modern and Darwin's World . I had to really hack it together myself, but I made it work. D20 is clunky but it works in terms of gun play.

Honestly I have to echo what others said: choose a combat platform you like, then build your world around that. If you want to go Fallout style just limit any psychic powers, add in mutants and ghouls, and keep a good sense of humor running as a thread. You could also forget about survival checks and gritty things of that nature, and create a more episodic format that just goes from set piece to set piece.

There IS a SPECIAL system hack someone made a long time ago that I have somewhere, but it's a pain in the rear end to roll. You're better off just hacking into whichever system you're the most comfortable with running.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

sebmojo posted:

cool! come back and tell us how it goes i love insane wh40k aars

So they managed to kill two terminators with nothing but psychic powers now there's two heretic marines in space wolf armour. They also killed a dreadnought the same way (my psyker a crazy good at doom Bolt crits and ignoring armour, so now they have a demon engine dreadnought they made with a pink horror bound inside. They have no idea what I've got planned now they've done that :laffo:

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Im currently working on what started as a space opera reskin of Dungeon World (players are ships) and has ended up tweaking some of the major systems in what I hope are interesting ways. Going to be a while of balancing and playtesting but it'll get posted here when its done.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

McSpergin posted:

So they managed to kill two terminators with nothing but psychic powers now there's two heretic marines in space wolf armour. They also killed a dreadnought the same way (my psyker a crazy good at doom Bolt crits and ignoring armour, so now they have a demon engine dreadnought they made with a pink horror bound inside. They have no idea what I've got planned now they've done that :laffo:

Also my psyker is crazy OP and just successfully bound a lord of change to a human chainaxe, passed by 2 points on the summon and had to use up all his infamy points left over to bind the demon into the weapon. Nobody can pick it up because it has a WP of 80 and the binding strength is 1, but maybe someone will manage sooner or later

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
All this talk about Fallout conversions reminds me of one I ran. I used the 1st edition of Dark Heresy as the basis. Dropped Psykers and Clerics and re-tooled the Tech Priest to be a generic Mad Scientist/Engineer type. A lot of the equipment and skills were easily rebranded to fit the Fallout setting. The players I ran it with seemed to like it, especially when they ran into their first Deathclaw (a retooled Genestealer). :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Captain Walker posted:

I like AW, I doubt my group will.

Isn't m&m horrifically unbalanced? I like the supers idea but I doubt it'd work. Again, these fuckin' people barely pay attention as is, I probably don't want a system so complex they have to actually read the rules before coming over.

Yeah, unengaged group is pretty unfortunate. Also, if FATE is too storygame for them, I'm sure AW is also too storygame for them.

Like, I really want to run a superheroes campaign in FATE, but my gaming group these days won't put down their phones for more than 5 minutes, so gently caress 'em. One guy pulls out a 3DS between turns :v:

Real advice: Ask the group what kind of system/genre they actually want to engage with. Either it's acceptable to you and everybody has an awesome time, or it's not and you guys have to settle for some other way to have fun. The group I'm whining about up above there is awesome for boardgames, at least. We have a lot of fun doing that, instead of RPGs.
If I were to try and run another RPG, though, I'd only want to bring like 2 of those 5 people with me. I'd probably have to run the game online, because in addition to how hard it is to coordinate schedules in the first place, one of those people doesn't have reliable transportation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is,
The group wants to hang out and do stuff, or they wouldn't show up. They might not want to do RPGs, though, and are just kind of doing it half-heartedly as an excuse to be there, or they were expecting something different from their RPGs experience.

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012
So I'm running my first session of Star Wars Saga tomorrow, and I'm a bit nervous. I'm already in a 5e D&D/5e Shadowrun campaign with the players (I'm the only common factor in both groups), and I'm trying to figure out how to handle them.
I'm dealing with the following: 2 players who essentially take it as their life mission to be as chaotic as possible, breaking everything as much as possible for fun (Jedi and Tech Scoundrel). 1 player practically has to be woken up every 10m, and is consistently penalised OoC and IC by our GM for simply not paying any attention to what's going on (Free droid built by the above techie). 2 power players who are going to be a pain in the neck if I don't manage them properly, but are ultimately good players (Bothan spy/Criminal Noble). And finally, a terrible RPer that plays himself constantly, and has been known to come into games without knowing his characters name or background (Jedi, it took a solid week of browbeating to have him actually make story for his character).
This campaign will be taking place about 2 years after Ep 3, so I have a few ideas for penalising things/making things easier or harder on them according to how they play. My main issue is that I'm concerned about how I'm going to handle the group dynamic - the characters may fit together, but I worry that the players won't get on. Their playstyle encourages 2 distinct pairs to form, and the remaining 2 either won't notice, or feel left out.
Similarly, I'm worried as to how to balance encounters properly - if they decide to have a Jedi fight on Coruscant, I kind of have no choice but to throw Inquisitors and such monsters at them, and I actually expect this behaviour from one or two players. Should I then prepare an encounter with a group of Stormtroopers to let them know it's time to leave, having the Inquisitor only show his face if they're really not taking the hint?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

4533josh posted:

Similarly, I'm worried as to how to balance encounters properly - if they decide to have a Jedi fight on Coruscant, I kind of have no choice but to throw Inquisitors and such monsters at them, and I actually expect this behaviour from one or two players. Should I then prepare an encounter with a group of Stormtroopers to let them know it's time to leave, having the Inquisitor only show his face if they're really not taking the hint?

Compartmentalize.

When my group had our Big Coruscant Fight, one of the set-pieces was a big fight in the Emperor's Throne Room between Flint - our Jedi general badass combat monster - and myself plus a shitload of faceless techs and soldiers and an Imperial Inquisitor and a couple of Imperial Guards. The Inquisitor and Flint went toe-to-toe while I and the mooks dealt with the Guards.

In effect, don't be afraid to put together a varied group of baddies and let each players' 'natural' opposition level find them naturally. Our GM could have had the Inquisitor go after my tech-optimized-but-less-combat-capable slicer character while the Guards all went after Flint, but then I would be dead and he would be frustrated; instead he let each of us fight someone roughly on our level, so to speak.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

4533josh posted:

So I'm running my first session of Star Wars Saga tomorrow, and I'm a bit nervous.

I know jack poo poo about Star Wars, but I feel like the first thing you have to do is ask yourself if it's really worth it to play in a group that you don't like the attitude of.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I know jack poo poo about Star Wars, but I feel like the first thing you have to do is ask yourself if it's really worth it to play in a group that you don't like the attitude of.

Seriously, this. I get that sometimes you have to keep a problem player around for social reasons, but this sounds like a group composed entirely of problem players :psyduck:

Stop worrying about regulating their behavior with in-game stuff, sit down the disruptive players and talk to them about what your expectations are.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

4533josh posted:

So I'm running my first session of Star Wars Saga tomorrow, and I'm a bit nervous. I'm already in a 5e D&D/5e Shadowrun campaign with the players (I'm the only common factor in both groups), and I'm trying to figure out how to handle them.
I'm dealing with the following: 2 players who essentially take it as their life mission to be as chaotic as possible, breaking everything as much as possible for fun (Jedi and Tech Scoundrel). 1 player practically has to be woken up every 10m, and is consistently penalised OoC and IC by our GM for simply not paying any attention to what's going on (Free droid built by the above techie). 2 power players who are going to be a pain in the neck if I don't manage them properly, but are ultimately good players (Bothan spy/Criminal Noble). And finally, a terrible RPer that plays himself constantly, and has been known to come into games without knowing his characters name or background (Jedi, it took a solid week of browbeating to have him actually make story for his character).
This campaign will be taking place about 2 years after Ep 3, so I have a few ideas for penalising things/making things easier or harder on them according to how they play. My main issue is that I'm concerned about how I'm going to handle the group dynamic - the characters may fit together, but I worry that the players won't get on. Their playstyle encourages 2 distinct pairs to form, and the remaining 2 either won't notice, or feel left out.

To echo the advice of others:

There is no IG cure for OOG problems. You can't curb or influence the desires of your players by erecting roadblocks or creating semi-optimized incentives. Players resent this particular species of railroading and it doesn't stop them from performing the disruptive behavior, it forces them to channel it into an outlet that has gone unguarded by the GM. Trust me on this, you don't want to try to 'send a message' of any kind through IG stuff because players will always do the opposite of what you expect or want them to do. If your enjoyment hinges on certain factors, make sure they understand that.

It's almost impossible to make a game that caters to every taste but you can at least make sure everybody knows what compromises they're making. "Power players" aren't really problems, for instance, in almost all cases. Try to identify what the problem behavior actually is. For instance a character who is optimized for a particular task is only a 'problem' if it is important to you that they fail at those tasks, which doesn't really sound like a problem with the players but rather with your GMing style. On the other hand if the problem is that they quarterback the team or hog the spotlight, that's a different kind of problem and one better addressed through sidechat. Optimization is not inherently problematic, it's the toxic stuff people do with it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've recently realized that my players like to solve problems by finding and exploiting loopholes in the rules. Not the game rules - although if they do find one, hoo boy - but primarily in the established in-setting rules of whatever situation the characters are in. Let me give you two examples.

1. The party was hunting down an exiled prince to sell him to a dragon. The prince had been kidnapped and abducted to the elven forest, and the party joined the royal retainer on her quest to bring him back safely. (I'm not sure why; apparently a "volunteers wanted" sign is irresistible to PCs no matter the cause.) The retainer made them swear to follow her orders and do anything in their power to rescue the prince upon her spear blessed by Bahamut; they all very happily complied and swore specifically to "get the prince out of the elves' clutches." Along the way the retainer died in battle and implored the party to fulfill their quest with her last breath.

2. poo poo has hit the fan: undead are running wild in the kingdom. The king has called out a state of emergency and instated an oppressive militia. The party doesn't like the militia's methods (expected) and decided to get their hands on the actual laws of the state of emergency, specifically to scour them for loopholes, because the militia has already stomped all over their rights citing paragraphs and regulations.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this approach. Obviously I don't want to invalidate it and they should get some sort of advantage out of finding loopholes, on the other hand, I feel like it's missing the forest for the trees. I'm planning for the retainer to return as a vengeful spirit; they may not have broken their oath in words, but very much in spirit, and they specifically swore an oath they felt they could safely break, which, if anything, would probably set a spirit of vengeance off even more than just simply breaking the oath. You don't get off on clever technicalities with spirits of vengeance. Last breath of a dying warrior, I mean really.

As for the militia thing, again I feel like they're missing the big picture: the problem isn't "you have to work around the brutal militia", it's "there is a brutal militia". Like if the militia wants to stop them and search their bags and they pull out the book and say, haha you jackbooted thug, it says here you can search citizen's bags but we, my good man, are freemen on the land, the militia will not doff their hats and say "oh sorry, our mistake" but instead punch them in the face and take their bags and probably split their cash while they're in the dungeons for resisting arrest. (Well, the party would win an outright fight, but you know what I mean.)

But yeah, like I said. There definitely should be ways finding a loophole can work out in their favour, but I'm having a hard time imagining scenarios. My own approach is more "so beat up the militia and lay low, what's the issue?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just let it work out their way, and then make them more shrewd, the militia would probably still be pretty scared about open revolt, (because it would reflect poorly on them,) and so would at least try to pretend like their upholding the law. Go full on Harry Potter 5 and start having a haggard captain spend all day closing rule loopholes.

"inquisitional degree #47 no whistling in the hallways on pain of death."