Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Can't really fault holding her back a year if she was cheating on almost every subject. Still the worst person to be hearing it from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Yeah, I'm a proud member of the Anthony Carver is Kind of a Huge Tosser Club, but I have to admit he's right on this one :smith:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, he's actually being... rather sensible here? I mean, don't get me wrong, he's an absolute rear end in a top hat about everything else, and he could use a tad more tact, but that's actually decent behaviour coming a teacher/caretaker confronted with repeated cheating?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
On the plus side, more Lindsey!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Iceclaw posted:

Well, he's actually being... rather sensible here? I mean, don't get me wrong, he's an absolute rear end in a top hat about everything else, and he could use a tad more tact, but that's actually decent behaviour coming a teacher/caretaker confronted with repeated cheating?

An rear end in a top hat who's right is the worst kind of rear end in a top hat.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Still the worst person to be hearing it from period.

Mikl posted:

Yeah, I'm a proud member of the Anthony Carver is Kind of a Huge Tosser Club, but I have to admit he's right on this one :smith:

He is doing precisely what he should as a teacher. The problem is, this is exactly the last thing he should be doing as a father when meeting his daughter for the first time since he disappeared, leaving her do deal with the death of her mother on her own. Seriously, that's incredibly traumatising for a child even with present and caring remaining parent and appropriate counseling to help her deal with it, and Annie had none of those. With every single strip Anthony is cementing himself as a terrible father and an all-around horrible human being.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also, the court knowing about the cheating but not doing anything about it for goodness knows how long before finally coming down on it is severely hosed up. She's 14 years old, and that means they should focus on correcting her behaviour rather than just letting her dig herself a deeper and deeper hole and then gleefully filling it in on top of her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't help but feel like Anthony's real goal here is to cut her off from her support network.

Look at Kat's face in that last panel. I think she's about to open up.

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, the court knowing about the cheating but not doing anything about it for goodness knows how long before finally coming down on it is severely hosed up. She's 14 years old, and that means they should focus on correcting her behaviour rather than just letting her dig herself a deeper and deeper hole and then gleefully filling it in on top of her.

Yeah, this is where it's unreasonable. The fact that they knew for a very long time but there was no reaction until this extreme holding her back is what makes this entirely inappropriate.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 30, 2015

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Aww Annie's face in that last panel. :smith: This is going to end so badly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

MikeJF posted:

I can't help but feel like Anthony's real goal here is to cut her off from her support network.

What.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP annie.

On the other hand if she's sent back a year then she wont be in his class. :toot:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

pumpinglemma posted:

"We figured we'd deal with it after she finishes her million detentions in about 35 years."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

MikeJF posted:

Look at Kat's face in that last panel. I think she's about to open up.

Yeah, this is where it's unreasonable. The fact that they knew for a very long time but there was no reaction until this extreme holding her back is what makes this entirely inappropriate.
Yeah. I also find it difficult to see why there aren't remedial measures other than holding her back. 'I reassessed your evaluation by deducting all your plagarism' is basically bullshit, at a minimum she should be allowed to retake her tests, and any decision needs to be done after consultation. This is more classic abuser isolation tactics.

Further, why is it even Anthony's decision? He hasn't been Antimony's teacher for longer than a single lesson. Also he attempted surgery on her without consent

http://www.greatschools.org/special-education/health/659-repeating-a-grade.gs?page=all

EDIT: And what the hell was even the point of that whole bit of classroom theatre earlier other than psychological torture? Shouldn't this decision have been made *before* the school year began, to minimise disruption?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 30, 2015

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

This may come as a surprise to you, considering we've been saying it for the past...six pages? But Anthony is an abusive father. A major abuse tactic is to cut the abusee off from any support network and leave them entirely dependent on - and therefore completely at the mercy of - the abuser.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nah, I'm sure being separated from the friends and classmates she's bonded with over the last... 3 years? will have no negative repercussions whatsoever.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Otherwise known as the stupidest and least effective move in the world. It would cut her off from her people for the exact period of time she's in a classroom. The second she's out of a classroom she can hang with whomever she wants. Parley and Smitty are in different years, look at how much that stopped them. Want to know a much better way to deny her her support system? Expel her. It's not like they don't have grounds, or that he personally doesn't have grounds of the school doesn't want to touch the subject. Just because he's an rear end in a top hat doesn't mean everyone else gets elevated to the level of saint, she's cheated in basically every class from moment one. That's enough to get a student expelled practically everywhere.

Also it gets her out of his class, the place where he can boss over her all the school day. He could use it for blackmail to force her to take lessons with him to 'catch up', which would tie up a lot of her free time too. If he wanted to make her dependent on him and force her away from her friends, there are about a million better ways to do it. This isn't really one of them.

e: If anything she's been getting off insanely light because people have been treating her like a special snowflake, which is almost [If not quite] as harmful as the bullshit he regularly pulls.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 30, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Otherwise known as the stupidest and least effective move in the world. It would cut her off from her people for the exact period of time she's in a classroom. The second she's out of a classroom she can hang with whomever she wants. Parley and Smitty are in different years, look at how much that stopped them. Want to know a much better way to deny her her support system? Expel her. It's not like they don't have grounds, or that he personally doesn't have grounds of the school doesn't want to touch the subject. Just because he's an rear end in a top hat doesn't mean everyone else gets elevated to the level of saint, she's cheated in basically every class from moment one. That's enough to get a student expelled practically everywhere.

Also it gets her out of his class, the place where he can boss over her all the school day. He could use it for blackmail to force her to take lessons with him to 'catch up', which would tie up a lot of her free time too. If he wanted to make her dependent on him and force her away from her friends, there are about a million better ways to do it. This isn't really one of them.

e: If anything she's been getting off insanely light because people have been treating her like a special snowflake, which is almost [If not quite] as harmful as the bullshit he regularly pulls.

This chapter isn't over yet.

EDIT: (I suspect the next step would be to restrict her access to Kat, probably on the basis that Kat is suspected of complicity, and might nevertheless help Annie cheat even if she was in a different year.)

EDIT2: Homework copying is incredibly widespread in schools. It is, to my knowledge, not in fact a grounds for expulsion - which is more usual if a student is disruptive to the rest of class or has chosen to reject a prior warning. In practice it is difficult to distinguish copying from peer tuition which is encouraged. There are also enormous extenuating circumstances here - the Court has put huge external stresses on Annie, in terms of giving her external subjects that are potentially life threatening.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 30, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Hremsfeld posted:

This may come as a surprise to you, considering we've been saying it for the past...six pages? But Anthony is an abusive father. A major abuse tactic is to cut the abusee off from any support network and leave them entirely dependent on - and therefore completely at the mercy of - the abuser.

How is holding her back "cuting her off from her support network"???

Fucknag posted:

Nah, I'm sure being separated from the friends and classmates she's bonded with over the last... 3 years? will have no negative repercussions whatsoever.

How does holding her back a class cut her off from her friends in the court?????????????

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

YF-23 posted:

How does holding her back a class cut her off from her friends in the court?????????????

This is Gunnerkrigg Court.

Remember where Year 9's dorm was?

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=845

Yeah.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
So... When is this thread getting renamed "Anthony Carver appreciation station"? Surely he's topped even boxbot's terribleness.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fangz posted:

Yeah.

Remember when the vast majority of all chapters didn't take place in there because people just, you know, left it and went about their business?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Having to retake a year would be terrible. They should have offered help and extra classes for her to catch up at least before going totally mad.

For the US readers, it's almost never done here, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually having to repeat a year of school, and this is coming from somebody who had to go to a special school specifically for dropouts. Even there we were doing stuff mostly appropriate to the year we would have been in, plus some catching up.

She can legally leave school at 16, how would her repeating a year even work with that...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Remember when the vast majority of all chapters didn't take place in there because people just, you know, left it and went about their business?

Remember how all students have their locations individually tracked and they had to fool the sensors to enable that?

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=901

Now wait until when Anthony finds out about *that*.

Also, hmm, Renard is staying with Kat now, isn't he?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 30, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

Having to retake a year would be terrible. They should have offered help and extra classes for her to catch up at least before going totally mad.

That's what would normally happen, after some fairly severe punishments over the cheating. This is extreme and ridiculous, especially given that they've known about it long enough that they could've stopped it before it reached the point where it would've failed her.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is certainly one way of dealing with the characters growing older; Annie will be stuck in year 9 for the next decade.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fangz posted:

Yeah.

It's dormitories, not prison cells.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

maybe Anthony thinks if she stays in Year 9 she'll never get older and can't have a kid :tipshat:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I do wonder if Anthony is the only one that cares how good Annie is at academics; if he's the only one with confidence she'll live to be 40.

On a broader note I doubt much of this will stick, just because a year in-comic of Annie buckling down on schoolwork would be boring.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

YF-23 posted:

Well, previously she was living with her closest friend. Now she'll be in an entirely different section of the court. Meeting up will be considerably more effort. Talking about a bad day will require meeting up on purpose and dumping it all at once rather than something done casually in pieces between classes or at lunch or after school.

Also note the background characters when he was being a dick to her. While she may not be the most popular girl in the class she's definitely a member of the group, especially since the laser cows. Which was an arc all about how peer integration and acceptance is important. In a different classroom she'll be spending much of the day in a room where she's just "the new girl who got held back for cheating" instead of "Annie".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Fangz posted:

Remember how all students have their locations individually tracked and they had to fool the sensors to enable that?

They were sneaking out at night there. That's breaking curfew, which is why they had to fool the sensors. Not just going about their day with their friends.

Splicer posted:

Meeting up will be considerably more effort.

Yes, all that painful walking and possibly the taking of public transportation!

quote:

Talking about a bad day will require meeting up on purpose and dumping it all at once rather than something done casually in pieces between classes or at lunch or after school.

If only there were some sort of device that allowed one to send information incredibly fast over vast distances, a pity their fantastic world of magic and high science has yet to crack that impossible hurdle!

Mulva fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 30, 2015

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I wonder if Tony cheated off Donny when he was at school... Probably not, but a lot of similarities have been shown between the generations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

I think this is evidence that the court doesn't actually give a poo poo about her cheating. They're not exactly a conventional school. This is all Anthony.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
dude looks like a hosed up mannequin

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I think this is evidence that the court doesn't actually give a poo poo about her cheating. They're not exactly a conventional school. This is all Anthony.

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=874

They also knew about her skipping detentions as well. Also, foreshadowing!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

I wonder if Tony cheated off Donny when he was at school... Probably not, but a lot of similarities have been shown between the generations.

If this is why "the apple doesn't fall far away from the tree" I will laugh my rear end off.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

slogula posted:

It strikes me that coyote created the divide to keep the court out of the forest, and the court in turn "installed" their own demon-sentinel to keep the forest out of the court. Coyote's been cultivating Annie's etheric abilities, and by making her the forest medium, setting her up for strife with the court. If Annie succeeds in her plan to translate Jeanne to the ether, it would remove the courts barrier against the forest. I feel like coyote's playing the long game here.

is Coyote ever not playing the long game?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SynthOrange posted:

RIP annie.

On the other hand if she's sent back a year then she wont be in his class. :toot:

And that is why she was the only one that didn't need a textbook.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys, the court was comfortable letting her cheat at science class indefinitely, the only reason she's being confronted with it now is cause Tony's back.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

cutting her from her support network lol

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

dude looks like a hosed up mannequin

Robots are hosed up mannequins, in a way.

Regy Rusty posted:

They probably reported it to / consulted Jones who was kiiind of her stand-in tutor and she's been covering for Annie before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Look ahead. The rest of her friends will be graduating and leaving Gunnerkrigg Court. Except Antimony will be stuck there. Whatever Anthony does to restrict access this year (I do question the degree of opportunity there is for 9th and 10th years to interact), *that* would be isolation.