Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

vegetables posted:

I find the endless "Ed Miliband is Wallace" cartoons from the Times really annoying; am I the only one? They hardly ever seem to have a point beyond "Ed Miliband looks silly; you can tell he does because we've drawn him like a plasticine man in this otherwise unremarkable situation", and there are about ten thousand of them.

it's just their caricature of him, it's like bell's condom dave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

vegetables posted:

I find the endless "Ed Miliband is Wallace" cartoons from the Times really annoying; am I the only one? They hardly ever seem to have a point beyond "Ed Miliband looks silly; you can tell he does because we've drawn him like a plasticine man in this otherwise unremarkable situation", and there are about ten thousand of them.

Ed Milliband; inventor, multiple small business owner, astronaut!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

vegetables posted:

How is it any worse than condom Dave? Seriously, enough with condom Dave, jellyfish Dave was both funnier AND had an actual point to it.

Can anyone transcribe what, if anything, Charles' letter is saying in the Independent cartoon? All I can make out is "dear MP."

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Mail:
Mac on... David Cameron's third term announcement

Wait, is this a non lovely Mac, implying David Cameron has terrible judgement and that Jeremy Clarkson is not to be admired? I'm impressed! It looks like he mi-

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... The burial of Richard III

HAHAHA the working classes are physically repulsive and completely ignorant HAHAHAHA!

:fuckoff:

Angepain posted:

...Grandpa Simpson? That's terrifying.

Okay, I'm stumped, what is he trying to say here? Something about caber tossing, maybe?

"Despite Alex Salmond's fervant denials about propping up a Tory government, the Tories are very keen to see the SNP defeat labour (and so would "boost" them if they could) while another Tory government would be an extremely effective launching pad/prop for the SNP's goal of independence." I don't necessarily fully agree with it, but he's simply pointing out an irony (SNP say they aren't a prop for Tories, ironically Tories are a prop for SNP). It's not outlandish or anti-Scottish; note that Salmond is shaped more like a missile or rocket than a caber.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

vegetables posted:

At the very least it's stopped wags calling him Beaker, which never made sense given Danny Alexander is in the cabinet.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cliff Racer posted:

How is it any worse than condom Dave? Seriously, enough with condom Dave, jellyfish Dave was both funnier AND had an actual point to it.

Can anyone transcribe what, if anything, Charles' letter is saying in the Independent cartoon? All I can make out is "dear MP."

Condom Dave annoys Cameron and that's good enough for me :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

HAHAHA the working classes are physically repulsive and completely ignorant HAHAHAHA!
Reads more like a "kids these days. they dress funny and are ignorant about things I think they should know."
Mac's working class adults are fat skinheads eating chips from a styrofoam carton, and I'm sure he'd have no qualms about them if that was his message.

Still a bad message, but a different one.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Reads more like a "kids these days. they dress funny and are ignorant about things I think they should know."
Mac's working class adults are fat skinheads eating chips from a styrofoam carton, and I'm sure he'd have no qualms about them if that was his message.

Still a bad message, but a different one.

Yeah, looking at it again I think you're right and it's a "young people these days" joke. I think I was misled by the way Mac's lovely caricatures make them look about 30.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the start of the election campaign – Ed Miliband and David Cameron kick-off run-up to vote on 7 May, when one of the two main party leaders is expected to become prime minister"

Telegraph:

David Cameron says three Shredded Wheat is too many - but why even have one?

Independent:

Analysis: 'Hell yes, I'm tough enough to be PM'

Times:

Jeremy Paxman was the real winner in the TV debate

Mail:
Mac on... the first prime-time TV contest of the general election

Stephen Collins:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Very subtle, Mac.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have a link to the debate?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mac's shittiness makes me miss Paul Thomas.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Paladinus posted:

Very subtle, Mac.

Haha loving hell, there isn't even a joke in there, just straight up anger and bitterness. Let's see what's in the right-wing funnies this week, 'STUPID MORONS' oh ok then

Rowson should sell both of those as real posters :swoon:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

McDowell posted:

Does anyone have a link to the debate?

Here's the 4oD link.

Edit: Oh, it's on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAoMFz7qaR0

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 28, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks!

Paxman :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al4Zfr3TUIQ

America should adopt this debate style, I wanna see Presidential candidates get grilled.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

And, you know, I was really warming to Mac and the fact that even if he relies on stereotypes a lot, he at least makes the effort for all of his cartoons to actually include a full-fledged joke, rather than just drawing David Cameron with his arse out.

Then he does that.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Hey, be fair, the coalition did get the country back on its feet. Just look how few people are left who use state-funded mobility aids now.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

FullLeatherJacket posted:

And, you know, I was really warming to Mac and the fact that even if he relies on stereotypes a lot, he at least makes the effort for all of his cartoons to actually include a full-fledged joke, rather than just drawing David Cameron with his arse out.

Then he does that.

I've noticed that the cartoonists with the extra cute and folksy styles are the most hateful. Or maybe it's just the juxtaposition of the art and message that makes it feel that way. See: Asay, Allie, ect.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... the first prime-time TV contest of the general election

Why is Mac asking us to choose between Labour and Labour???

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"David Cameron and that VAT pledge – Chris Riddell on the prime minister’s promise to not increase VAT"

Independent on Sunday:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

oh god why has obama absorbed milliband

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is starting to look a lot more like WW2 propaganda.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Prince Charles is trying to destroy democracy by eliminating all contenders for government. Those letters must be hot stuff!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Why call it the "Orc of Austerity" when you could call it Orcsterity?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Liberal-Conservative coalition – Pre-election survey says only 29% would be happy with another coalition, and few are satisfied with the current one – but its narrative is still shaping Britain"

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

Start of British Summer Time; Ed Miliband exists.

Telegraph:

Alex Salmond defies Nicola Sturgeon's attempts to sideline him

Independent:

SNP conference: Minority Labour government 'would have to talk to SNP'

Times:

End of the 2014-15 Parliamentary session

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Cloud Potato posted:

It won't be long now till they go full on http://imgur.com/UN4Zofs

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Koesj posted:

It won't be long now till they go full on http://imgur.com/UN4Zofs

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Isn't that Robert Smith?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the start of the general election campaign — David Cameron has launched the general election campaign with warnings in Downing Street and a key target seat that Britain faces a stark choice between a safe and secure future under the Tories or economic chaos under Labour"

Telegraph:

After Escher.

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... the pension scandal

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Took my girlfriend out to Marco Pierre White's restaurant in Nottingham last weekend. Aside from a large black and white portrait of a broody Marco wielding a carving knife, every single picture on the wall was a large (A2 sized) signed Mac cartoon. Dozens of them. On every wall. I must be reading this thread and the other Political Cartoon thread too much, because it made me feel slightly uncomfortable.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zveroboy posted:

Took my girlfriend out to Marco Pierre White's restaurant in Nottingham last weekend. Aside from a large black and white portrait of a broody Marco wielding a carving knife, every single picture on the wall was a large (A2 sized) signed Mac cartoon. Dozens of them. On every wall. I must be reading this thread and the other Political Cartoon thread too much, because it made me feel slightly uncomfortable.

Jesus. Any particularly terrible ones? If they were food related it's possible they were commissioned maybe?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Is Marco Pierre White a dickhead? I know a lot of chefs like to portray themselves as dickheads, at least, because cooking food is the 21st century version of being a glamorous, consumptive bohemian artist for some unfathomable reason. Anyway gently caress celebrity chefs is what I'm saying.

Unrelated: does anyone have a copy of that wonderful cartoon where it shows the party leaders imagining how they want things, and Nigel Farage is imagining himself with three pints and three fags at once?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Kegluneq posted:

Jesus. Any particularly terrible ones? If they were food related it's possible they were commissioned maybe?

I couldn't muster the strength to walk around and look at them all. The one I was sat nearest had some stereotypical Scotsmen (kilts, tam o' shanters etc) stood looking at something. I didn't have my glasses on :shrug:

It's like that. Everywhere.

My steak was nice though, though our waiter was overly attentive. I think I annoyed him because when he asked if I wanted to taste the wine first my Mancunian accent suddenly came out and I said "Nah mate just slosh it out."

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 31, 2015

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Zephro posted:

I know a lot of chefs like to portray themselves as dickheads, at least, because cooking food is the 21st century version of being a glamorous, consumptive bohemian artist for some unfathomable reason. Anyway gently caress celebrity chefs is what I'm saying.

I've never heard it put like this before, but that's a brilliant (and depressing) way of describing it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Now this, THIS is a political cartoon. It's even got a droopy Big Ben!* Come on Brown, you don't need to ref all those moth eaten old paintings.

*a droopy Queen Elizabeth II Tower

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zveroboy posted:

I couldn't muster the strength to walk around and look at them all. The one I was sat nearest had some stereotypical Scotsmen (kilts, tam o' shanters etc) stood looking at something. I didn't have my glasses on :shrug:

I have good news and bad. The good news is, they aren't Mac cartoons! They're actually by Jak, another cartoonist emulating the Giles style who died in 1997. The bad news is he was the Evening Standard and Mail on Sunday cartoonist and arguably as bad as Mac in terms of his homophobic and racist stereotypes.

(Spot the :gay: stained glass window)

He was also massively anti-union.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 31, 2015

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Zveroboy posted:

My steak was nice though, though our waiter was overly attentive. I think I annoyed him because when he asked if I wanted to taste the wine first my Mancunian accent suddenly came out and I said "Nah mate just slosh it out."

Ha. Not sure if any of the current crop of cartoonists would be complementary to a night of fine dining.

Zephro posted:

Unrelated: does anyone have a copy of that wonderful cartoon where it shows the party leaders imagining how they want things, and Nigel Farage is imagining himself with three pints and three fags at once?

This took far, far too long to find. But I found it! :yayclod:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
aadGinru:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's employment statistics – David Cameron claims that his government has created 1,000 jobs a day since the coalition came to power in 2010"

aeeghlprT:

Ailpr Floos!

eimsT:

ailM:
MAC on... Bad news for Ed Miliband and sales of health secrets

'Come on. Somebody must've sold you our confidential medical details - how did you know we're suffering from anxiety and depression?'

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Cloud Potato posted:

This took far, far too long to find. But I found it! :yayclod:
Awesome. Thanks so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mac remembered a joke this time! Is that his first Miliband? And everyone else

• Locked thread