Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

quote:

Nearly 2.4 million Americans play hockey, which, according to the Centers for Disease Control, has a higher rate of concussions than any other sport.

I never played check hockey, but I did play football. How is hockey a higher concussion risk? We used to slam our drat heads together to get pumped up before a game :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I don't see the Cascade M11 in their results, I wonder how it would do.

bauer bought them and makes them now and they did not do well

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

I never played check hockey, but I did play football. How is hockey a higher concussion risk? We used to slam our drat heads together to get pumped up before a game :psyduck:

Yeah my favorite part of the article is that a hockey player will get 6-9 concussions a year. But some helmets are so bad that you will get 9 or more concussions.

In other news, my teammate, diving for a defensive rebound with 1 minute left in the game slid right into the side of my ankle which folded over a bit and now it hurts like a motherfucker.

We have the game 3 on tuesday and two other defensemen are already not able to play, that is going to suck.

D C fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 30, 2015

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Just a thing RE: Graf skates, they aren't a manufacturer you can really buy sight unseen. They don't have a "range" as such, they just make skates for different foot shapes so if you are going to buy some make sure you actually sit down and try them on somewhere.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Hockles posted:

The #1 reason I skate with dull-ish blades, is I don't want to drive somewhere to get mine sharpened, because the pro-shop at the rinks that have them are closed by the time my game rolls around at 10pm. Are there options that are cheaper than $1000 ?

I bought a second set of blades and send them off to here. They do FBV, normal and some kind of z channel thing. They usually get them shipped back out the same/next day they arrive.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

Speaking of being insufferable I am seriously considering getting my own sharpener.

Anyone have any experience with the Blackstone sharpeners? FBV is a must.

Someone posted about this a couple pages back https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1223281555/sparx-skate-sharpener-pro-skate-sharpening-at-home

We'll be anxiously awaited your report.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

communist kangaroo posted:

if you don't mind the pain in the rear end of mailing skate blades you could send a few sets of steel to the No-Icing Sports guys, which of course would require you to have a spare set to skate on while you wait for the week-or-so turnaround

i'm not actually good at skating so i can't say if the sharpenings are good or bad. i just use them to avoid having to drive anywhere to drop my skates off due to an irrational fear of the public and waiting in line :sax:

their prices aren't terrible ($7.50 for FBV) and if you mail a few sets at a time it makes it easier to swallow any shipping cost soul pain

Yeah. These guys profile my new steel when I buy it. It's a good sharpen for sure. I just don't want to spend 400 to get a bunch of steel to do this along with having to go to the post office to drop off a heavy flat rate priority envelope.

And I am not using the kickstarter thing. It looks like junk and I don't believe in the concept.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

sellouts posted:

Yeah. These guys profile my new steel when I buy it. It's a good sharpen for sure. I just don't want to spend 400 to get a bunch of steel to do this along with having to go to the post office to drop off a heavy flat rate priority envelope.

And I am not using the kickstarter thing. It looks like junk and I don't believe in the concept.

That whole thing just sounds ridiculous. How can you hate everywhere that sharpens skates in your area enough to actually mail blades out to get done? $7.50 isn't even that great of a price if that is the reason you are doing it. There are two places I like and one charges $5 with a hole punch card so your 6th sharpening is free and the one closer to my house just went from $6 to $7 which bummed me out a little bit but that's the price of convenience I guess. I have spare steel just in case but mailing it out sounds a little overboard. Whatever works for you I guess.

In other news, the guy who I skate with that got 19 stitches in his lip from a high stick two weeks ago got another stick to the face tonight and broke his nose. He still vows not to put a cage on. Its not even like he's 20 years old and still thinks he's gonna "make it" so he plays like the pros play, or whatever those idiots playing men's league think they are doing when they think they're gonna get the call up to the NHL any day now. He's 28 with lovely health insurance and just refuses to wear one because he hates it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bigbillystyle posted:

That whole thing just sounds ridiculous. How can you hate everywhere that sharpens skates in your area enough to actually mail blades out to get done? $7.50 isn't even that great of a price if that is the reason you are doing it. There are two places I like and one charges $5 with a hole punch card so your 6th sharpening is free and the one closer to my house just went from $6 to $7 which bummed me out a little bit but that's the price of convenience I guess. I have spare steel just in case but mailing it out sounds a little overboard. Whatever works for you I guess.

I am in So Cal. The pro shop in one rink is never open and doesn't really exist, certainly not at night. The other rink just re-opened their shop but those games are exclusively at night and I think they close kinda early. They also exclusively employ teenagers who clearly don't care and I had bad experiences previously. The only LHS is sometimes good and sometimes bad but FBV sharpens are $15, regular are I think 8 or 10, I forget since I don't use them. And again, that's 25 minutes each way with no traffic. On weekdays or days where the beach is nice it can be a lot more.

I agree that shipping steel is overkill which is why I haven't done it. When I've used them I bought the steel online and it was new so they shipped it profiled and sharpened. I don't sharpen my skates that often at all but at those prices it grinds my gears when it isn't a good one.

Also, if I buy a bunch of steel to distribute the shipping cost across a bunch of sharpens I can't easily resell it if I decide to go with a different brand of skate or whatever. A sharpener, especially if I can find one used, I can probably resell locally with a minimum loss.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 30, 2015

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Well if you get good at it, I'm gonna buy another set of blades and have you sharpen them every other month for beer.

Why don't you like that kickstarter machine? My only thought about it was all the proprietary pieces to it. If it ever broke and the idea didn't catch on you'd be out $550 over the littlest piece.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

sellouts posted:

Shipping isn't so hard, the USPS delivers envelopes to your house free, you can print shipping labels from home, and the
USPS will pick it up out of your mailbox. So you in theory don't actually have to go anywhere. I understand the extra steel costs vs. shipping though, this was just in case you had a few sets already by chance to rotate through. Not trying to win you to the dark side or anything

communist kangaroo fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 30, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I hear ya. My mailbox isn't an option because we have the worst mail person ever but I pass by several boxes while walking to work. Big upfront investment to save ~15 every 4 sharpens.

And Nitra, I don't trust that machine's calibration and clamping system. I don't know if I trust it to be able to detect any issues with the blade. I also don't like that the grinding wheel that wears out after only 30-50 sharpens. Maybe it's awesome but I'm skeptical in both the short term and long term.

Also it won't do FBV which is what I like.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bewbies posted:

bauer bought them and makes them now and they did not do well

Ah, I didn't recognize their new Bauer name. Disappointing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone have advice for long hair under a helmet? I'm a dude with long, bushy, caveman-esque hair and it's often hard to wrestle it under a helmet.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Trim down to a mullet. Worked for 90s Jagr.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

calandryll posted:

Trim down to a mullet. Worked for 90s Jagr.

Works for 2010's Kane too!

I had long hair but I cut it before I started playing. I was hating it for motorcycling already, adding another helmet hobby sealed the deal. I was basically taking it back into a tight ponytail, but then I'd pull the tail into another knot so it was basically a top knot resting on my neck. Worked for going *redacted* mph+ on the freeway, would probably work for hockey too.

Or you could also get a couple bandanas and go biker style and let the hair hang out the back. Would give you a sweat rag when you were done and probably extend the life of your helmets inside pads too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nitramster posted:

Works for 2010's Kane too!

I had long hair but I cut it before I started playing. I was hating it for motorcycling already, adding another helmet hobby sealed the deal. I was basically taking it back into a tight ponytail, but then I'd pull the tail into another knot so it was basically a top knot resting on my neck. Worked for going *redacted* mph+ on the freeway, would probably work for hockey too.

Or you could also get a couple bandanas and go biker style and let the hair hang out the back. Would give you a sweat rag when you were done and probably extend the life of your helmets inside pads too.

Some good suggestions here. I was also thinking of braiding it and then pulling it back so the braids hang out the back, but I'ma white dude so it would seem pretty douchey.

Might have to go for a mullet though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I keep pretty long hair, and since I started playing hockey I've started to see why hockey players like mullets. I'll never go for one myself but they do work well with hockey helmets. Probably any helmet really.

When I'm due for a cut I do a ponytail and it works fine. When it's at its shortest the rubberband won't stay in so I just get the hair damp, push it back, and stuff the helmet on my head.

Someday when my hairline disappears too far I'm gonna go for the full chrome dome but that's several years away still.

Also I got a well earned interference call last night, some dude zigs while I zagged and he comes to a dead stop right in my path, there was zero time to even think about what to do so I just braced for it and nailed him hard in the shoulder. Would have been a great hit in actual checking hockey. He ends up on his rear end and I just kept playing and waited for the whistle I knew was coming.

Clearest memory is how goddamn big his eyes got when he realized I was incoming. They were saucers.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Get a bigger helmet so that your mane fits underneath and let that poo poo flow. Long hair makes you look much faster when it blows back like streamers in the wind.

xzzy posted:

Got a well earned interference call last night, some dude zigs while I zagged and he comes to a dead stop right in my path, there was zero time to even think about what to do so I just braced for it and nailed him hard in the shoulder. Would have been a great hit in actual checking hockey. He ends up on his rear end and I just kept playing and waited for the whistle I knew was coming.

Where do you play out of again? I'm playing out of American Heartland, Skokie Skatium, and Winnetka ice rinks now. I thought maybe you were in the northwest/west burbs?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I already wear the biggest helmet out of all the main manufacturers because my head is basically a basketball.

It's an adjustable CCM and it's extended as far as it'll go too. :v:

Verman posted:

Where do you play out of again? I'm playing out of American Heartland, Skokie Skatium, and Winnetka ice rinks now. I thought maybe you were in the northwest/west burbs?

Nope, I'm southwest. Naperville area.

I go to either All Seasons or Canlan.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

xzzy posted:

Also I got a well earned interference call last night, some dude zigs while I zagged and he comes to a dead stop right in my path, there was zero time to even think about what to do so I just braced for it and nailed him hard in the shoulder. Would have been a great hit in actual checking hockey. He ends up on his rear end and I just kept playing and waited for the whistle I knew was coming.

Man they usually let those incidental contact ones go. I had a whopper the other night. I turned to start out for a breakout and their D man turned right into my path. I wasn't looking ahead because I was looking back at the play to see if the puck was coming to me, or somewhere else, and he didn't see me for whatever reason. He probably had 20lbs and 3 inches on me so it actually felt good to be the guy left standing after that collision. No call.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

zinc68 posted:

What? IDK where you got that info, but you are way off. Blade hollow makes a massive difference depending now on an individual skates. Like a huge, massive difference.
It does make a big difference! I just don't think it's worth stressing over for beer league hockey, especially for the posters who are still developing their stride.

xzzy posted:

Shoulda tried to get him penalized instead for setting a pick :unsmigghh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

Man they usually let those incidental contact ones go. I had a whopper the other night. I turned to start out for a breakout and their D man turned right into my path. I wasn't looking ahead because I was looking back at the play to see if the puck was coming to me, or somewhere else, and he didn't see me for whatever reason. He probably had 20lbs and 3 inches on me so it actually felt good to be the guy left standing after that collision. No call.

Yeah they usually do, especially with scrub tier teams. I figured the ref had a weird angle on it or something that made it look worse than it was. I kind of wanted to ask him about it after the game but things got a little chippy towards the end and they were calling everything super tight so I was just happy to get into the locker room.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So guys, right now I am 6'5 tall and 149 pounds. I want to be a force on the ice, physically, and be able to take big hits without going down so I'm working on gaining weight but at the same time I'm working hard on my cardio.

So I'm lifting and running, one builds muscle the other slims physique so it's tough. My question is: once I'm on the ice in full pads, with my height what weight should I want to be at so I don't get tossed around like a rag doll and can hold my own when it comes to checking/the physical aspect of the game?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm 6'3" and 205lb without gear and I'm basically unmovable on the ice in beer leagues. Really though, a lot of it is in your leg strength, so while having the weight to be hard to move definitely makes a difference, just having powerful legs will do a lot for you

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Kvlt! posted:

So guys, right now I am 6'5 tall and 149 pounds. I want to be a force on the ice, physically, and be able to take big hits without going down so I'm working on gaining weight but at the same time I'm working hard on my cardio.

So I'm lifting and running, one builds muscle the other slims physique so it's tough. My question is: once I'm on the ice in full pads, with my height what weight should I want to be at so I don't get tossed around like a rag doll and can hold my own when it comes to checking/the physical aspect of the game?

Are you me? I'm not as tall but around the same weight as you. I have found that if you have good core strength and good balance you can hold your own. Try to get as low as you can to give yourself a good base. Additionally, I try to rely more on speed than strength being one of the lighter guys on my team which also helps.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dustin Byfuglien is 6'5" 265 so I would probably just shoot for that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll be sure to update on how it goes. Practice practice practice until my summer league starts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Don't stop eating. Ever.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don't stop eating. Ever.

That's my big problem. I have a lot of stomach issues that make it hard for me to eat a lot. I take as many protein/shakes/supplements/potions and all that as I can but I still know I don't eat as much as I should because I'm just not able to without getting sick.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How long have you be[n playing

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, then don't worry about trying to mega hulk out, just gain weight at a reasonable, relatively slow pace, and work on the leg muscles. The two will go hand in hand (god knows most of my mass is already in my legs, no one guesses I'm 205)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It can be hard to bulk as a teenager because there's so much hormone bullshit going on in your body. Either you got the mass or you don't and I'm not sure it's an effective use of effort to try and force a change. Try to work with what you have, there's definitely a place in hockey for light skaters.

Once you get into your 20's it's much easier to fill out (sometimes catastrophically easy because you fill out and then just keep growing and suddenly you're a fatass).

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Focus on legs and core. If you haven't already got a strength and conditioning program here is a really good introduction to basic functional S&C.

code:
Legs (twice a week) ~90 mins workout
-	Start all exercises with double reps at 30%
-	Aim to increase weight every third session, but stagger increases so you don’t increase all exercises on same day
-	Weeks 1-3 all exercises performed as steady-paced lifts.  Notes apply to weeks 4-7 only.
-	If there are more than 6 reps, the last three should be hard.  If fewer than 6 reps last 1-2 should be very hard.  
-	From week 3 onwards if you feel you could have done two more reps then the weight is too light.

Exercise		Wks 1-3		Wks 4-7		Notes
Cycle			10 mins		10 mins		Slowly build up intensity from 50-90%
Squats			3x12		5x5		Lower carefully.  Steady paced lift.
Deadlifts		3x10		4x8		Take strain before lift.  Steady pace. Use small discs.
Straight leg deadlift	3x10		4x6		Lower slowly, pause, stand up briskly.
Adductor machine	3x12		3x8+8		8 lifts at max weight, followed immediately by 8 at two-thirds weight.
Abductor machine	3x12		3x8+8		8 lifts at max weight, followed immediately by 8 at two-thirds weight.
Calf raise		3x15		3x10		Lower slowly, stand up briskly.
Single leg press	2x8		3x5		Always lower until knee is virtually on chest.
Hamstring curls		3x10		3x8		Curl explosively.
Run-cool down		10 mins		10 mins		Start at 85% and reduce to 50%.
Stretch							This should take 10-15 mins.

Upper Body (twice per week) ~90 mins workout.
-	Start all exercises with double reps at 30%
-	Aim to increase weight every third session, but stagger increases so you don’t increase all exercises on same day
-	If there are more than 6 reps, the last three should be hard.  If fewer than 6 reps last 1-2 should be very hard.  
-	From week 3 onwards if you feel you could have done two more reps then the weight is too light.

Exercise		Wks 1-3		Wks 4-7		Notes
Row			5 mins		5 mins	
Bench Press		3x10		4x6		Maintain good from.  Touch chest gently.
Overhand pull ups	3x to failure	3x to failure	Grip wider than shoulders.  Use assist if necessary.
Dumbbell shoulder press	3x10		3x7		Wks4-7=push up explosively
Shoulder shrug		2x12		3x8		Steady up & down.  Keep shoulders back.
Core Cable twists	2x12		3x10		Don’t twist hips.
Rotator cuffs		2x12+12		3x10+10		Do external & internal.  External at lighter weight.
EZ bar curl		2x10		--	
Alternate dumbbell curl	--		2x7 per arm	
Tricep dips		2x15		2x20		Superset with dips.
Accordion crunch	3x15		3x20		Full range of movement.
Ball Back raise		3x15		--		Superset with back raises.
Incline back raise	--		3x15		Superset with back raises.
Side crunch		2x15		2x20		Lift as high as you can.
Woodcutters		--		2x10	
Leg raises		--		2x10		Use a Roman Chair, Dip bars or hanging.
Side slides		--		2x15		Use one light dumbbell only.
Ball crunch		3x20		3x12		Wks1-3=Double legged; Wks4-7+single legged
Bicycles		3x30		3x60		Add 10 reps each week in both phases
Cross train		5 mins		5 mins	
Stretch			

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

:siren: HOCKEY DILEMMA TIME :siren:

This post should probably be in the goalie thread but I figure it'll get a wider audience here - choice between splitting at a 4 team tournament where I'll play probably 2 20 minute games for a super chill team of never evers in a cool arena or a full 60 on a SERIOUS BUSINESS team who've just made me "the no.1" on Friday against a team we just crushed 18-1 on the weekend.

I know which I'd probably rather do, but its more the long term implications of telling a team that has just put its stock in me that actually yeah I'd rather play elsewhere that day. Rec hockey in the UK is a strange animal and its not like there is a league structure with lots of teams to choice from - Goalie spots are very limited and ughhh.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you so much for the advice everyone, very helpful and I really appreciate it. This is a great thread!

One last question: how often should I sharpen my skates?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My Silver team all pitched in and bought our goalie a new mask. We gave it to him last night. It was cool.

Kvlt! posted:

One last question: how often should I sharpen my skates?

Whenever you feel your edges are getting dull. I try to do mine every 10 games or so, but sometimes I get lazy. Just be careful; sharpening your skates has been proven to contribute to a greater risk of concussions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You will know when you need it imo

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
6'5" and 140? That is slim to say the least.

I've always been 5'10 and ~150 which I thought was always pretty thin. I attribute it to a very fast metabolism and a high cardio lifestyle (cycling & hockey) without ever really focusing on lifting weights so my body was running lean. My goal over the winter was to gain 15 healthy pounds. I started concentrating on protein shakes after every workout that I really started to gain healthy and noticeable weight. For some people, gaining 15 lbs can be done over the course of a weekend of binging on beer and hot wings. For me, I've been the same weight for about the last 10 years.

After starting with the protein, lifting and body strength workouts at home I'm now at 165 and its noticeable compared to when I started. Chest, arms and shoulders are all noticeable in appearance and the added weight negatively affected my cardio at first. The thing is you have to stick with it. I hurt my back in a game and stopped lifting/working out for about a month or so and I started feeling mushy.

As for being strong on your skates, its more about the technique and skill than size. Work on your balance and leg strength. One leg skating drills will help to improve your balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Zip! posted:

:siren: HOCKEY DILEMMA TIME :siren:

This post should probably be in the goalie thread but I figure it'll get a wider audience here - choice between splitting at a 4 team tournament where I'll play probably 2 20 minute games for a super chill team of never evers in a cool arena or a full 60 on a SERIOUS BUSINESS team who've just made me "the no.1" on Friday against a team we just crushed 18-1 on the weekend.

I know which I'd probably rather do, but its more the long term implications of telling a team that has just put its stock in me that actually yeah I'd rather play elsewhere that day. Rec hockey in the UK is a strange animal and its not like there is a league structure with lots of teams to choice from - Goalie spots are very limited and ughhh.

You always can (and inevitably will) drop to the never-evers the following seasons. Unless you have specific chill dude bros on the lower league teams that make hockey worth it, go with the upper league and play the best level you can. On the other hand, if TEAM TRYHARD is just laying waste to everything in front of you and you don't feel there'll be a challenge to your abilities beyond "Let's see how many shutouts I can be handed and not gently caress up", gently caress'em and play where you're happy in the lower league.