Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

magimix posted:

Bah! Sometimes I wish I didn't care about how my characters look in RPGs. I get 6 hours into it with a Qunari Rogue when I finally decide that *no*, I'm not happy with how they look. So I torch that character, I try an Elf instead. Cue 4 or 5 cycles of re-playing through the opening scenes, trying different things, and cursing the fact that faces I make that look good in the editor usually look crappy in game :argh:

But I think i have it now :stare:

I had that happen with my elf mage. Looked great in the editor, and then in the game looked like a rouged whore.

Unrelated note, just finished What Pride Hath Wrought for the first time. Who in their right mind would let Morrigan drink from the well? She openly lies to you about it, may not know anything about it, tears off on her own abandoning you to elves to access it, and comes up with a million reasons why she should have the power but it'll be cool, she'll owe you one. I didn't want my Inquisitor to drink from it but ended up doing it just to keep it from Morrigan.

Also, I'm kind of disappointed. I imported game states from all my friend's games, or I thought I did, but Morrigan doesn't have the creepy kid I was told to look out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Dienes posted:

I had that happen with my elf mage. Looked great in the editor, and then in the game looked like a rouged whore.

One of the reasons I was so glad ME2 and ME3 did the facecode thing. I could let other, more talented people come up with cool looking characters.

Dienes posted:

Also, I'm kind of disappointed. I imported game states from all my friend's games, or I thought I did, but Morrigan doesn't have the creepy kid I was told to look out for.

It has been sufficiently long since I played DA1 that I just assumed that Morrigan having a son was a given. :aaaaa:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

magimix posted:

It has been sufficiently long since I played DA1 that I just assumed that Morrigan having a son was a given. :aaaaa:

My friend made it sound like the decision impacted if he was a normal kid, or 'really creepy.'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dienes posted:

My friend made it sound like the decision impacted if he was a normal kid, or 'really creepy.'

Nope, if no one slept with Morrigan in DAO then there's no kid in DAI.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dienes posted:

Who in their right mind would let Morrigan drink from the well? .

I made the "mistake" of bringing cass with me and she had a bit of an emotional "please don't loving do this" moment. So yeah, kind of let her. Turned out for the best though!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dienes posted:

If the inquisitor romanced morrigan but didn't perform the ritual, she has a normal kid. If you did have someone perform the ritual he's a godkid.

There's actually a nice conversation between Alistair and Morrigan if you had Alistair perform the ritual which can be somewhat undermined by him standing right there.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

It was discussed earlier but the well is really the point where you can tell they ran out of time/money to actually make the game interesting. It feels like there should be way more story content after that but it just ends.

The fact that destroying the well is brought up as an option but is not actually presented to the player is dumb as poo poo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Dienes posted:

Unrelated note, just finished What Pride Hath Wrought for the first time. Who in their right mind would let Morrigan drink from the well? She openly lies to you about it, may not know anything about it, tears off on her own abandoning you to elves to access it, and comes up with a million reasons why she should have the power but it'll be cool, she'll owe you one. I didn't want my Inquisitor to drink from it but ended up doing it just to keep it from Morrigan.

There's a very good reason for it, you'll find out almost immediately!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Speaking of which, after the Well I hope the next main quest explains why my Inquisitor randomly start glowing blue and then a glowing blue spirit appeared who didn't do anything because it was random and went totally ignored.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I let Morrigan drink from the well because my Inquisitor is elfy enough to realize messing with the gods' power is a really terrible idea with awful monkey's paw consequences down the road. And there was Cullen to think of. So Morrigan got what she wanted and I'm relatively safe from accidentally nuking the world or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carecat posted:

Speaking of which, after the Well I hope the next main quest explains why my Inquisitor randomly start glowing blue and then a glowing blue spirit appeared who didn't do anything because it was random and went totally ignored.

If you have Arcane Lore, you can flat-out tell Morrigan what's up with the Well and why drinking from it is probably a terrible idea: whoever takes the Well's power is bound to Mythal, body and soul. Once you take the Well, you belong to Mythal and your will is no longer your own if Mythal does not wish it.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Somewhat ironic, considering Bioware has said that conceptually the Warden is a warrior, Hawke is a mage, and the Inquisitor is in their minds meant to be the rogue of the bunch.

I can totally see the Warden was supposed to be a human warrior. I can almost see Hawke is supposed to be a mage, but I agree with whoever said sarcastic rogue fits the best. The Inquisitor should be a mage, and probably an Elf.

That being said I've only played DAO as a dagger rogue, and then DA2 and DAI as both dagger rogues and a mages. Playing as a warrior seems like it would be boring as gently caress.

Also, re: mage Hawke the one playthrough I did where my world state had a mage Hawke and I also sacrificed him in the Fade, I had to laugh when they used the same animation with the staff that they used for a sword. Like he was just slashing away at the nightmare demon instead of using magic.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I let Morrigan have the well because the second someone in a story says "____ can't touch me, they're dead", said person is almost certainly not dead. Especially in a game where the main villain was literally killed in the last game. The moment she said that there might as well have been a giant flashing caption saying DRAMATIC IRONY DRAMATIC IRONY, and immediately I knew that taking the well myself wouldn't be the best of ideas.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

HIJK posted:

I let Morrigan drink from the well because my Inquisitor is elfy enough to realize messing with the gods' power is a really terrible idea with awful monkey's paw consequences down the road. And there was Cullen to think of. So Morrigan got what she wanted and I'm relatively safe from accidentally nuking the world or something.

Honestly if you're elfy enough I could see a lifelong geas in service to one of your gods being more of a duty than a burden but what do I know, I'm just a 3D alien

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Honestly if you're elfy enough I could see a lifelong geas in service to one of your gods being more of a duty than a burden but what do I know, I'm just a 3D alien

Maybe for someone else but I had my pet shem back at Skyhold. Since my Dalish wasn't interested in being a broodsow for a dying race, she's embracing change and running the gently caress away from anything that could stop her from living her own life at the speed of light.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HIJK posted:

Maybe for someone else but I had my pet shem back at Skyhold. Since my Dalish wasn't interested in being a broodsow for a dying race, she's embracing change and running the gently caress away from anything that could stop her from living her own life at the speed of light.

Mine took the standpoint of "Y'know, Solas was probably right the whole way through this place about the ancient elven gods being dicks." Would have happily destroyed the thing if she'd had the choice.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HIJK posted:

My inquisitor doesn't even believe in the Maker, so it was easy to disregard threats of being mind controlled by an ancient Elf deity, particularly when the deity was described as murdered earlier on.

I do wish we had the option of leaving it or destroying it, though.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I rationalized it as an elf by thinking "Leaving this alone would've been the best option but we can't do that anymore because Corypheus is here, destroying it would be an affront to ~my people~, someone had better drink this and it sounds like there are going to be serious consequences, gently caress it, go crazy Morrigan I ain't touching that poo poo"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I took the Well for the extra dragon fight.

Also to piss off Morrigan

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

grack posted:

I took the Well for the extra dragon fight.

Also to piss off Morrigan

This. Everyone's convinced you're gonna owe your life to a god, but my skeptic Inquis was like "Psh, it's probably a mistranslation of some dumb bullshit anyways, chug-a-lug bitches!" and then nothing loving happens and the god you owe your life to gets owned by Solas anyway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wasabi the J posted:

This. Everyone's convinced you're gonna owe your life to a god, but my skeptic Inquis was like "Psh, it's probably a mistranslation of some dumb bullshit anyways, chug-a-lug bitches!" and then nothing loving happens and the god you owe your life to gets owned by Solas anyway.

I don't know if being enslaved by Solas is much better than being enslaved by Mythal/Flemeth.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Torrannor posted:

I don't know if being enslaved by Solas is much better than being enslaved by Mythal/Flemeth.

Yeah but I can whip his bitch-rear end and punched him in the face anyway.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 30, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Speak for yourself.

Now that Gaider and Casey Hudson have both left Bioware, you and I have to enact our suicide pact, Snakes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hey does anybody have any sick strats for beating (new DLC) Hakkon on hard? Methods for cheesing would be fine, I don't really wanna backtrack to a previous save and go through that ice dungeon again. I've got my main char as an archer rogue and am rolling with Vivienne and Dorian and Cassandra but can't divert aggro to Cassandra enough when he starts snuffing out the torches to last longer than like half his health bar.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm kind of cross posting from the Inquisition Let's Play, but I did note one other thing that bugged me about the Grey Wardens here.

Why would they just kick out Fiona instead of studying her? She's the first person they know of to ever become straight-up immune to the Taint. Studying her would give them better ideas on how to combat the taint, possibly leading to even a cure or vaccine for it. Something any Warden with a brain would be drooling over. Sure, she can't sense darkspawn or kill a potential Archdemon anymore, but that pales in comparison to the value immunity would have. I get that they are big on sacrifice and certainty, but why ignore someone that could make such things completely unnecessary? Even as just another soldier, she'd be invaluable as the darkspawn can't infect or detect her. She should represent the Holy Grail for the organization, yet the toss her right back to the Circle for "cheating death".

It's like the Wardens are going out of their way to be idiots now.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

To be fair, not all of the Wardens are disinterested in why she's immune. The Hero of Fereldan is trying to find a cure for the Calling (if they are alive).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wasabi the J posted:

I went at it with both this reasoning and the idea that, if anyone is going to have to take responsibility for mystical bullshit, it's going to be me because I'm the Inquisitor and and a Big drat Hero who can handle it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dan Didio posted:

Now that Gaider and Casey Hudson have both left Bioware, you and I have to enact our suicide pact, Snakes.

Casey left Bioware, Gaider just left the DA team for another project.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

To be fair, not all of the Wardens are disinterested in why she's immune. The Hero of Fereldan is trying to find a cure for the Calling (if they are alive).

True, but the organization as a whole doesn't seem too interested in changing things. They seem to have become so arrogant and stagnant that it was easy for Cory and Friends to play them like a fiddle, like almost every other important group in this series.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

epitasis posted:

Hey does anybody have any sick strats for beating (new DLC) Hakkon on hard? Methods for cheesing would be fine, I don't really wanna backtrack to a previous save and go through that ice dungeon again. I've got my main char as an archer rogue and am rolling with Vivienne and Dorian and Cassandra but can't divert aggro to Cassandra enough when he starts snuffing out the torches to last longer than like half his health bar.

there are a couple motherfucker fights in the new dlc but rolling with blackwall and vivian dealt with most of them. i also used the inquisitor power that kills demons near rifts for the first time ever

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Geostomp posted:

True, but the organization as a whole doesn't seem too interested in changing things. They seem to have become so arrogant and stagnant that it was easy for Cory and Friends to play them like a fiddle, like almost every other important group in this series.
Sort of repeating the theme that organizations become corrupt/lax/ossified over time, I suppose. If a reversal could be found, then you serve your time in the Wardens (5-10 years or whatever) then take the cure and leave. By doing your time you're forgiven for whatever fuckups you committed before you joined and hopefully your service has trained you out of being an rear end in a top hat if you were a criminal beforehand.

Reversing the GW taint might also "cure" actual darkspawn, or at least act as a WMD on them. Maybe they're not ready for that story-wise or haven't considered that angle. Instead of dying to kill an archdemon, just stab them with the antidote and no more blight.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cool Inquisitor and all, but what the hell did you do to Viv's sense of fashion? :v:

Speaking of, are there any pictures of the Jaws of Hakkon armor?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Polaron posted:

Cool Inquisitor and all, but what the hell did you do to Viv's sense of fashion? :v:

What sense of fashion :colbert:

Is it still not known for wure when the DLC will show on for PS4?

Edit: Should have checked some sites first! May, huh? Maybe I'll have levelled my new Rogue up by then :haw:

magimix fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 30, 2015

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Polaron posted:

none of it is remarkably different except for the helmet that looks like a radiator

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
so this DLC was p. cool but in general Bioware DLCs work best when they're character-focused, and JoH is a bit lacking in that department

also the next DLC should have a city

even kirkwall really

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Sort of repeating the theme that organizations become corrupt/lax/ossified over time, I suppose. If a reversal could be found, then you serve your time in the Wardens (5-10 years or whatever) then take the cure and leave. By doing your time you're forgiven for whatever fuckups you committed before you joined and hopefully your service has trained you out of being an rear end in a top hat if you were a criminal beforehand.

Reversing the GW taint might also "cure" actual darkspawn, or at least act as a WMD on them. Maybe they're not ready for that story-wise or haven't considered that angle. Instead of dying to kill an archdemon, just stab them with the antidote and no more blight.

This conversation reminds me of something. My understanding is Fiona basically got kicked out of the Wardens because, without the taint, she wasn't one anymore. Taint is a qualification for Warden-ness, so can't be tainted, out you go.

But what about that guy in Vigil's Keep in Awakening? The seneschal who does the joining ritual. Was he a warden? Because I swear he isn't, because his official backstory is that he's spent his whole life protecting Amaranthine, so he used to work for Howe. But now he's doing the joining ritual for you. So he became a senior warden in between Origins ending and Awakening starting? Do they keep guys like him around even if they're not officially Wardens?

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Geostomp posted:

It's like the Wardens are going out of their way to be idiots now.

I got the impression that the only reason the Wardens had their heads on straight in DA:O was because the Fereldan wardrns were mostly and then completely cut off from the rest of the warden infrastructure.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

This conversation reminds me of something. My understanding is Fiona basically got kicked out of the Wardens because, without the taint, she wasn't one anymore. Taint is a qualification for Warden-ness, so can't be tainted, out you go.

But what about that guy in Vigil's Keep in Awakening? The seneschal who does the joining ritual. Was he a warden? Because I swear he isn't, because his official backstory is that he's spent his whole life protecting Amaranthine, so he used to work for Howe. But now he's doing the joining ritual for you. So he became a senior warden in between Origins ending and Awakening starting? Do they keep guys like him around even if they're not officially Wardens?

I'm pretty sure that your support staff in Awakening was comprised of non-Wardens that were trusted enough to hold the organization's secrets. There are just too few Wardens to not allow for non-Warden helpers to keep things running. All of the actual Wardens you didn't recruit yourself were either killed or kidnapped by the darkspawn raid right before the Hero or Orlesian Warden got there. Which only makes the decision to send Fiona back to the Circle even stranger.

Foolie posted:

I got the impression that the only reason the Wardens had their heads on straight in DA:O was because the Fereldan wardrns were mostly and then completely cut off from the rest of the warden infrastructure.

Honestly, that seems to make the most sense. The closest thing the HoF had to Warden training was a couple of weeks travelling off-screen with Duncan. Since neither they nor Alistair had much chance to be indoctrinated with the usual Grey Warden rhetoric, both of them were more flexible than their mainstream counterparts. That and I assume that the Wardens are a lot more focused when the actual Blight is happening. In peacetime, their duties are less clearly defined so they become much more sketchy.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 30, 2015

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Seems like the DLC is out for all other platforms in May. Quite a bit to wait, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Becklespinax posted:

Seems like the DLC is out for all other platforms in May. Quite a bit to wait, to be honest.

Wow, that's incredibly disappointing.

• Locked thread