Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
One of my clients is a non profit organization located in a county building. We handle their computers, servers, printers, county IT does phones and network equipment / cabling. Building is redoing an elevator which requires demoing the network closet on the fourth floor. Our server is right outside this closet.

Due to an amazing lack of communication, the construction crew assumes our stuff belongs to the county, and the county plans on removing equipment next Monday morning. Construction crew mentions to our client in passing that everything near the closet needs to be moved... Thursday night. We have Friday to relocate a server and all supporting equipment with no planning.

We have one open desk in the middle of the office. We've already resigned to using a network port as we can't get close enough to run a new cable to the switch. I move all of the equipment, start running cables through the desk, plug many of them in, and kick on the UPS. Wiring fault. The outlets are so old in this county building they don't have grounds. Just adapter ports to allow ground prongs to be plugged in.

I hunt around and find a corner underneath a table. New wing of the building, new outlet. It will have to do. I inform everybody that they will not be allowed to use the table and placing liquids on it would jeopardize the functionality of their organization for weeks.

I move the equipment there, get it set up, UPS has no complaints. I check the network port in the wall... Dead. I check the next closest, dead. Apparently it's the strategy of county IT to liven up exactly the number of ports needed by current equipment and not a single port more. gently caress growth, these empty switch ports are important. What's better is each live port is POE to support county IP phones with computers daisy chained to the phone. Anything I unplug results in a dead phone until we can get a power cable or new port activated.

Eventually I decide on the one phone I'll take down and inform that unlucky person that we're working on a solution for her. Everything else gets plugged in and powered on. Then the server says "preparing to apply updates" ... for over an hour. The county building closes at 5, no exceptions, and I had to leave not knowing if the server would ever come up.

And of course it didn't. It killed an exchange module an hour after I left that was hanging the startup, but then our remote agent crashed and dhcp didn't start correctly, so the whole office stayed dark. Had to go back Saturday to clean up.

gently caress county IT, is basically what this comes down to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Two decent calls today:

1)
:j:"Our scheduled task refreshing our data on the server hasn't been running for a while, so we've just been doing it manually"
:raise:"Hmm... it hasn't been running since 21/12/2014. Neither have most of your scheduled tasks. All of them use the credentials of xxxxxxxx, is she still here?"
:j:"No, she left in December. Do you think that's related?"
:doh:
(person I was talking to was their Server Admin)

2)
:downs:"User is getting an error from your software when he tries to save a file that H:/data isn't accessible"
:raise:"Is that drive mapped on their computer"
:downs:"No, we took away the mappings to the share drives because the users were storing other things on there."
:bang:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

iajanus posted:

:j:"Our scheduled task refreshing our data on the server hasn't been running for a while, so we've just been doing it manually"
:raise:"Hmm... it hasn't been running since 21/12/2014. Neither have most of your scheduled tasks. All of them use the credentials of xxxxxxxx, is she still here?"
:j:"No, she left in December. Do you think that's related?"
:doh:
(person I was talking to was their Server Admin)

The day our service account for *everything* is accidentally password-reset, we would not be able to reclaim 1/2 of our environment without walking up to servers one-by-one. So far as I know, that one service account is an exception on a metaphorical sticky note of, "Do not alter this service account." By rights, a new guy coming in and doing his job could shut us down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MJP posted:

A Tcet came n...

A bit late, but you should write back, forwarding him an alt code cheat sheet.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

quote:

Summary - Intranet- Your access has been restricted because your password is expired.
Body - Please restore my access to intranet.

You literally copy and pasted the error message into our web form based ticket logging system. WHICH USES THE SAME PASSWORD AS THE INTRANET. WHICH YOU CALLED AND ASKED FOR ME TO RESET SO YOU COULD LOG A TICKET ONLINE.

:gonk:

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, when you initially started how bad was the overhead? How did you get passed white-listing all the standard Microsoft backend programs?

There are two ways of handling this in Applocker. There is a menu item within the GPO called 'Automatically Create Rules'. You can point this at 'c:\program files' and it will generate signature item for every *.exe file it finds.

Or you can choose to create default rules. This adds allow entries for Program Files and the Windows system folder.

We just did the latter as our users do not have local admin, and thus cannot add new stuff to Program files.

Edit: obviously we also had to add any software that ran from UNC paths, but luckily we had this pretty well documented.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. I thought that was the point, not that it's necessarily hooked up incorrectly, more WTF are you saying and the picture is not a substitute for communicating your issue here.

It looks to me like the local IT manager has decided to plug his own VoIP router into the port that the internet is supposed to go into, and then wants to know if he can plug the internet into another port on that router. Except most managed routers like that only have a single port for external traffic.

And a VoIP router shouldn't be plugged into that port anyway...

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Che Delilas posted:

It's an extension called CloudToButt. It does exactly what it sounds like, and now that you know about it you can be in on the inside joke that is completely indecipherable until you know about the extension.

I was helping someone on their computer a couple years ago and even though they were looking over my shoulder but apparently not very well. One of the things I did was to install the extension that reverses genders. So the wiki page for Boy Scouts would now say Girl Scouts. She didn't notice anything I was doing and a few weeks later she was complaining about chrome. She said our main IT dept spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what was going on and their next step was to re-image it. I showed her how to turn off the extension.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Apparently it's the strategy of county IT to liven up exactly the number of ports needed by current equipment and not a single port more. gently caress growth, these empty switch ports are important.

Our school does the same thing. There's also random ports where email is setup to be blocked. I also ran across one port that put you on a completely different subnet. I reported that one, since it can cause issues but nobody in the main IT dept had any understanding of networking or subnets apparently. The only way I got any tracking on getting it fixed was to plug in one of the network printers to that port, which caused printing issues but it finally got someone to actually come out and look at the drat thing. I think it took them a month to finally understand what was actually going on because they wouldn't do anything other than keep looking at printer settings every day.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
THE END USER
A Tragedy in Two Acts
In Which the SYSADMIN confronts the realities of END USERS and the COMMUNICATION WITH therein, and CONFRONTS the DEMONS of unending SERVER JANITORIALITY

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

MIKE
A Systems Administrator, haplessly assigned to fetch a bill from

RUSS
An outsourced engineer/consultant called upon for various tasks

CARMEN
A Staff Accountant, a user highly demanding and visible (the equivalent to the CEO's executive assistant in other companies)

ACT THE FIRST

ACT THE SECOND

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

One of the things I did was to install the extension that reverses genders.

Why on earth would you do this?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fenrisulfr posted:

You aren't edgy enough to understand.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

You aren't edgy enough to understand.
Maybe he didn't want to be selfish, so instead of providing content to the "stupid users" thread here, he wanted to provide content to the "stupid IT workers" thread on HR Weekly?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MJP posted:

ACT THE FIRST

ACT THE SECOND

People that are unable to handle basic communication test my patience. Years ago I had to handle a high level PowerPoint presentation held at a hotel. I arrived a little early while the bigwigs and their guests were meeting inside. I emailed the executive in charge and wrote something like "I'm here now. Should I come in or wait?" and she emailed back "Cool."

People are terrible.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
An email came in at 11pm Sunday Night.

quote:

Saturday some time i lost access to my emails i cant log on to check emails from my e-mail not the on call
and still can not log in can you look into this when you have a few slare mins

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chemosh6969 posted:

One of the things I did was to install the extension that reverses genders.

We had male/female on our signup page. Someone from a client sent us a list of like 30-40 choices they wanted to use.

I suggested penis/no penis check box, but we ended up just taking that question off the form.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

edited out stupid joke

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 30, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

There are lots of reasons why you might not want to force people to choose male/female. Is that ever an actually important field to have outside of some medical stuff?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

There are lots of reasons why you might not want to force people to choose male/female. Is that ever an actually important field to have outside of some medical stuff?

It wasn't really required for anything, but the clients administrators could use male/female as a field to report on.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It almost never is. If you ask you'll probably get some answers about demographics (that nobody actually cares), or some variation of "because everyone does"/"because we always asked", if you ever get one.

That said I'm really curious on what the 30+ options were.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

People that are unable to handle basic communication test my patience. Years ago I had to handle a high level PowerPoint presentation held at a hotel. I arrived a little early while the bigwigs and their guests were meeting inside. I emailed the executive in charge and wrote something like "I'm here now. Should I come in or wait?" and she emailed back "Cool."

People are terrible.

To be fair, English is not this lady's first language.

To be truthful, when I went up to her office and asked "Hey, so I was a bit unclear - which did you mean, February or March?" she said "Yes, that one."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

To be fair, English is not this lady's first language.

To be truthful, when I went up to her office and asked "Hey, so I was a bit unclear - which did you mean, February or March?" she said "Yes, that one."

Well now she's just messing with you.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Fenrisulfr posted:

If I'm doing something for someone and they're supposed to be paying attention, I'll occasionally do something that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm supposed to be showing them, to see if they're really paying attention.

In this case, the person that was supposed to be learning to do a task on their own in the future, should have noticed the fact that I completely got out of the application, went into the Chrome extension page, did a search for the extension, and then installed it as the very last thing I did before asking them if they understood what was going on. People tend to start paying attention more after something harmless like this happens to them and I get less repeated calls from them.

HardDisk posted:

It almost never is. If you ask you'll probably get some answers about demographics (that nobody actually cares), or some variation of "because everyone does"/"because we always asked", if you ever get one.

That said I'm really curious on what the 30+ options were.

This happened where I was at for a mass scholarship application page for people that want to choose with whatever they self-identify with. Once you start going down that road, 30 options is a small list of what you can start doing.

For an idea of options, you can go to your "About" page on facebook, click "Contact and Basic Info", edit your Gender, and choose Custom from the dropdown. Then enter a letter and you'll see a ton of examples, with choices such as 'Gender Fluid', 'Neutrois', and 'Transgender Werecucumber'. They changed it since they first implemented this because if your choice wasn't on the list, such as the werecucumber option, you could suggest it. Now they let you type in whatever you want but you're limited to only 10 genders.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 30, 2015

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

If I'm doing something for someone and they're supposed to be paying attention, I'll occasionally do something that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm supposed to be showing them, to see if they're really paying attention.

This is stupid and you're an rear end in a top hat for doing it. The reasonable thing is to demonstrate the task and then get them to do it while you watch. If one of my coworkers ever did this and it cost me a bunch of time for diagnosis/re-imaging there would be blood.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Well now she's just messing with you.

No way. This woman panics at the first opportunity to panic ever. She might smile and/or crack a joke after she de-tenses a bit, but she's the type you can hear coming a mile away through her fast-walk in times of crisis or IT need.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

chemosh6969 posted:

For an idea of options, you can go to your "About" page on facebook, click "Contact and Basic Info", edit your Gender, and choose Custom from the dropdown.

The correct option to type in here is "Meat Popsicle"

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Fenrisulfr posted:

This is stupid and you're an rear end in a top hat for doing it. The reasonable thing is to demonstrate the task and then get them to do it while you watch. If one of my coworkers ever did this and it cost me a bunch of time for diagnosis/re-imaging there would be blood.

A reasonable person might ask if they've been trained in the way you mentioned instead of going straight to shoving a stick up their rear end and getting mad.

We actually train like that but we get people that will do one on one training, take notes, then a week or two later, they'll say to your face that you never trained them and then you have to do it all over again.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 30, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always like the users who, after calling you and you don't pick up, come by to hunt you down even going so far as going into every loving meeting room to find you because it's of utmost urgency.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

GreenNight posted:

I always like the users who, after calling you and you don't pick up, come by to hunt you down even going so far as going into every loving meeting room to find you because it's of utmost urgency.

"I know you're supposed to be off limits because you're working on a time sensitive project but can you..."

"Why are you ignoring me?" <because you are at lunch and aren't answering your cell phone or responding to email within a minute>

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

A reasonable person might ask if they've been trained in the way you mentioned instead of going straight to shoving a stick up their rear end and getting mad.

We actually train like that but we get people that will do one on one training, take notes, then a week or two later, they'll say to your face that you never trained them and then you have to do it all over again.

I personally don't think messing with a user's computer as some kind of object lesson is ever acceptable, unless maybe if you then immediately undo it and explain what you did and why, in which case I'd still think you were a bit of an rear end in a top hat but at least a well-meaning one; if that means I have a stick up my rear end so be it. Some people learn differently than others and may require different methods. Some can't be trusted to remember which end of a pencil is which and they'll need to be trained anyway (though if you're like me you'll do just about anything to get out of being the one doing the training). People lying about receiving training can be dealt with pretty simply with a paper trail and if need be a chat with HR or their manager. It's a giant pain in the rear end but I just don't see how you come to the conclusion that petty sabotage should be your next step.

Edit: Also this vvvvvvvvvvvv.

Fenrisulfr fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 30, 2015

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

chemosh6969 posted:

Do you not understand that by definition you are training someone to do something they've likely never seen before, and that to them, computers are just some mysterious box that I punch keys and buttons and my answer pops out? Why in the gently caress would you expect someone who's learning to question the teacher who is supposed to be the subject matter expert?

In any kind of business training, throwing in gotchas is usually frowned upon; if as a business owner I found out that you were intentionally loving with my employees and repeatedly wasting man hours just to see if they were paying attention during some impromptu training session, you would be fired on the spot. You're wasting everyone's time and more importantly my money on a stupid gimmick which at best is going to make someone feel like an idiot who already doesn't know the material, and at worst is going to cause HR to get involved in a harassment complaint. There are MUCH better ways to test if your student has learned the material, and while I'm not going to go list all of them right now, your method certainly isn't one of them.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 30, 2015

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
...user received 2 PDF attachments. Was only sent 1.

Confused? Me too.

I confirmed he had received 2 different PDFs attached to an email in his Outlook inbox. I checked the sender's sent items: he only attached 1. I checked other recipients that were copied on the same message, they only received 1 PDF.

For some reason, this one guy, out of 20 recipients, mysteriously received another PDF that was not ever sent.

What the gently caress is going on here?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

ZetsurinPower posted:

...user received 2 PDF attachments. Was only sent 1.

Confused? Me too.

I confirmed he had received 2 different PDFs attached to an email in his Outlook inbox. I checked the sender's sent items: he only attached 1. I checked other recipients that were copied on the same message, they only received 1 PDF.

For some reason, this one guy, out of 20 recipients, mysteriously received another PDF that was not ever sent.

What the gently caress is going on here?

Tech Genesis 1:3

Outlook said "Let there be another PDF", and there was another PDF

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

chemosh6969 posted:

No this is actually really stupid, sorry. You're literally doing the opposite of what you're hired to do when you install what is basically malware that costs the time of both the user and technicians troubleshooting it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"Hi [user], I've created the needed account and granted the requested access. Could you please test it and verify that you have everything you need, or let me know if you need any further assistance with this request?"

"Thanks!"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chemosh6969 posted:

Is the idea of replacing somebody's SATA cables with known bad ones hilarious to you?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Wilford Cutlery posted:

"Hi [user], I've created the needed account and granted the requested access. Could you please test it and verify that you have everything you need, or let me know if you need any further assistance with this request?"

"Thanks!"

Mark ticket as closed, since the user has acknowledged the email.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RadicalR posted:

Seriously. Nobody has time for that sort of poo poo.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

RadicalR posted:

Maybe I'm just lazy, but this is what I would do too. Not my fault the user is too dumb to read properly or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inspector_666 posted:

Is the idea of replacing somebody's SATA cables with known bad ones hilarious to you?

For some reason I just straight up assumed chemo was that poster. I guess that level of terrible judgement isn't all that uncommon.

• Locked thread