Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RhoA posted:

I've only had that happen after years of use on a phone, so it may be something that you can talk to them about at the Apple store, but I'm not sure how much they'll do for you. Also, are you sure it's dust and not a dead pixel?

More visible in direct light, and definitely visible with the screen off. Went to the verizon store and they saw it too, but surprise, 64GB black iPhone 6's are out of stock, so I'm probably just gonna live with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Loucks posted:

Anyone run with a Garmin Forerunner 620/220 and an iPhone 5s? I'm tired of my android device dropping connection and ruining livetracking (among other issues) and am hoping bluetooth actually works properly on apple devices.

My girlfriend uses the 220 with her 4S and it works great for uploading, when Garmin's servers aren't loving down. Don't think she's tried the live tracking yet though.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

More visible in direct light, and definitely visible with the screen off. Went to the verizon store and they saw it too, but surprise, 64GB black iPhone 6's are out of stock, so I'm probably just gonna live with it.

Is there an Apple store near you?

If it doesn't bother you too much then I guess you could just live with it, but I feel that it's one of those things that slowly eats at you now that you know that it's there. I'd probably just wait until they restocked and then get it exchanged, especially considering that you just got the thing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RhoA posted:

Is there an Apple store near you?

If it doesn't bother you too much then I guess you could just live with it, but I feel that it's one of those things that slowly eats at you now that you know that it's there. I'd probably just wait until they restocked and then get it exchanged, especially considering that you just got the thing.

I'm like 30 minutes away from two malls, I'm sure at least one has an Apple Store.

I have the official Apple warranty anyway and don't plan on trading it back in for anything else, so I'll just worry about it when I'm in the area, I guess.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I have a Ultraviolet redemption code, is there a way I can redeem it through iTunes and *not* have to use that lovely Flixter app?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

I'm like 30 minutes away from two malls, I'm sure at least one has an Apple Store.

I have the official Apple warranty anyway and don't plan on trading it back in for anything else, so I'll just worry about it when I'm in the area, I guess.

This is the kind of thing you'll need to make an appointment for, the store near me doesn't take drop-ins for anything. I saw them make a woman book an appointment for 15 minutes later while she was standing in the mostly-empty store.

I was there because my MBA had another stupid issue.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My girlfriend uses the 220 with her 4S and it works great for uploading, when Garmin's servers aren't loving down. Don't think she's tried the live tracking yet though.

Uploading isn't really an issue, since it doesn't require a persistent connection to work. I asked in the YLLS running thread though and at least one person in there reports that the 5s works well for livetracking.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
on wp8, i was able to see all of my facebook friends in my contact list, and then manually link the contacts that weren't automatically getting linked. I found the manual linking option in contacts, and i know some phone contacts were automatically having the facebook photo / info getting imported when i hit that button on facebook settings, but there are fb contacts that should be getting pulled in that just aren't. am i missing something here? "all facebook" is checked in groups

edit: I just searched for some fb-only friends in the contact list, and they don't appear either.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 26, 2015

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

obi_ant posted:

If I have a Ultraviolet redemption code, is there a way I can redeem it through iTunes and *not* have to use that lovely Flixter app?

The UV code is actually the same as the iTunes code. Just plug it into the "Redeem" process in iTunes and it'll download no problem.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I was messing around with my girlfriend's iphone 5 yesterday and was surprised at how snappy it felt compared to my 6. The 6 started out kind of clunky before the bugs were ironed it, but is it an established thing that it's kind of a tubby, slower phone in general day-to-day behavior due to pushing that screen or something?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if your 5 is smoother than your 6, something is wrong with your 6.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I was messing around with my girlfriend's iphone 5 yesterday and was surprised at how snappy it felt compared to my 6. The 6 started out kind of clunky before the bugs were ironed it, but is it an established thing that it's kind of a tubby, slower phone in general day-to-day behavior due to pushing that screen or something?
The iPhone 5 -> iPhone 6 screen jump is barely a 25% increase in pixels. If your phone is "tubby" then there's something wrong with it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The UV code is actually the same as the iTunes code. Just plug it into the "Redeem" process in iTunes and it'll download no problem.

Keeps saying the code in invalid. Did iTunes / Apple change their policy with Ultraviolet? I know where was something about that a few moons ago.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Protocol7 posted:

Anyone else dealt with what looks like a speck of dust under the screen? If it doesn't bother me too much, is it some sort of problem I should even bother calling Apple about? Brand new iPhone 6.
My iPhone 6 had this problem and the Apple Store switched it out no problem.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just had a weird problem with music synced via iTunes.

I have about a dozen albums/singles by a band in my library and I noticed a typo in the artist name. I fix the name and resynced my iPhone 6 (latest version of iOS) with iTunes and now when I browse by Artist in Music.app, it only shows as three albums, with one of the albums suddenly having 95 songs encompassing most of the artist's songs (all the ones not in the other two albums which show fine). Browsing by Album in Music.app shows the same problematic massive album as when browsing by Artist and the missing albums still don't appear. In iTunes, everything looks utterly fine. Tried changing something minor about every track to force a resync but the problem is still there.

I really don't want to have to flatten and reinstall since I spent an entire month with iOS 8.0's launch getting the music to stay on the phone in the first place and even if it works, spending a whole day syncing over 7000 songs means I can't take my phone out with me tonight.

Anybody heard of a problem like this or know of a possible way to fix it?

edit: Update - tried entering each album's title under the "Sort As" tag in iTunes and resynced. No change to that artist but now a huge number of completely unrelated albums by different artists have lost their artwork.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 26, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Keeps saying the code in invalid. Did iTunes / Apple change their policy with Ultraviolet? I know where was something about that a few moons ago.

This most likely isn't the issue, but are you sure you're not confusing 0 with O and 1 with I or l? That happened with me one time and it took me forever to figure out what I was doing wrong.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This most likely isn't the issue, but are you sure you're not confusing 0 with O and 1 with I or l? That happened with me one time and it took me forever to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Are we sure all uv codes are valid for iTunes redeeming? Because I've sold a lot of codes lately and not all of them say "redeemable via iTunes". Select ones do though.

Personally I just downloaded flixster and vudu. They cast to my chromecast and mostly work as wel as plex or Netflix for the most part.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Just had a weird problem with music synced via iTunes.

I have about a dozen albums/singles by a band in my library and I noticed a typo in the artist name. I fix the name and resynced my iPhone 6 (latest version of iOS) with iTunes and now when I browse by Artist in Music.app, it only shows as three albums, with one of the albums suddenly having 95 songs encompassing most of the artist's songs (all the ones not in the other two albums which show fine). Browsing by Album in Music.app shows the same problematic massive album as when browsing by Artist and the missing albums still don't appear. In iTunes, everything looks utterly fine. Tried changing something minor about every track to force a resync but the problem is still there.

I really don't want to have to flatten and reinstall since I spent an entire month with iOS 8.0's launch getting the music to stay on the phone in the first place and even if it works, spending a whole day syncing over 7000 songs means I can't take my phone out with me tonight.

Anybody heard of a problem like this or know of a possible way to fix it?

edit: Update - tried entering each album's title under the "Sort As" tag in iTunes and resynced. No change to that artist but now a huge number of completely unrelated albums by different artists have lost their artwork.

This happens once and a while with iTunes. Select all of that album, and rename it to something. Add a space to the end of it or something. Then save it, and change it back. Should group them all together.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

IUG posted:

This happens once and a while with iTunes. Select all of that album, and rename it to something. Add a space to the end of it or something. Then save it, and change it back. Should group them all together.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that next time!

Weirdly, it seemed to mostly fix itself by just hitting sync over and over again. Two albums have the artist name displayed the previous wrong way which doesn't match up to iTunes at all but I'm afraid to touch it now in case I break it again.

For all the experience Apple has with iPods and music playing on their phones, music management is utterly atrocious on iOS / iTunes.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any way I can ALWAYS have the Today/Notification screen on the lock screen? I'd rather have useful information on my lockscreen at all times instead of just a picture. I loved LockInfo on my old jail broken phone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Not possible without jailbreak.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

89 posted:

Any way I can ALWAYS have the Today/Notification screen on the lock screen? I'd rather have useful information on my lockscreen at all times instead of just a picture. I loved LockInfo on my old jail broken phone.

No, and it kinda sucks. I really wish I could put widgets on the lock screen, too, at least my calendar or something...

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
There's a mac program out there for finding free space and clearing poo poo off your phone. Cache, log files, etc - if you only use it once in a while it's really effective. Anybody remember the name?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jackpot posted:

There's a mac program out there for finding free space and clearing poo poo off your phone. Cache, log files, etc - if you only use it once in a while it's really effective. Anybody remember the name?

Phoneclean is the popular one. It's freeware but only removes a certain number of files before you have to pay.
http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/

There's a newer Mac program that is free but the name escapes me for the moment.

EDIT: Phoneexpander, free during beta.
http://phoneexpander.com/

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
For some reason my Exchange calendars are off by several hours on my iPad vs my iPhone. Time zone override is off and all of my date and time settings are correct on both devices, however the iPad shows reminders about 14 hours earlier than the actual due dates in the account. Everything is fine on my laptop, web access and my phone. Happens in the stock reminder app and in Fantastical. Is there a setting somewhere I could be missing?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Broke my iPhone 5's screen so I figured I'd just go ahead and use my Sprint upgrade on a 6 rather than pay for a new screen. Would I be able to do this at an Apple store?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Broke my iPhone 5's screen so I figured I'd just go ahead and use my Sprint upgrade on a 6 rather than pay for a new screen. Would I be able to do this at an Apple store?

Not Sprint, but I bought my 6 at Apple.com and used my upgrade, so I imagine they'll be able to do it in the store as well.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dubstep Jesus posted:

yes

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Is there a way to turn off using the volume up button as a camera release?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Having played with the force touch trackpad, the idea of force touch being on on the iPhone is pretty exciting when it comes to things like gaming or managing e-mail/documents. I've already heard people poopoo it as a major feature of the 6S, but this seems like it could be as much of a big deal as TouchID. Just thinking about it, it essentially doubles the number of controls with 2 thumbs on the screen (most intensive games).

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 30, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Pressure sensitive controls were attempted during the PS2/Xbox generation of video games and it was a total failure. I'm having a hard time outside of gaming seeing how it'll be used in ways other than a replacement for a long-press on a menu item.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Question Mark Mound posted:

Pressure sensitive controls were attempted during the PS2/Xbox generation of video games and it was a total failure. I'm having a hard time outside of gaming seeing how it'll be used in ways other than a replacement for a long-press on a menu item.

I doubt it'll do much more than bring up context-specific menus like it will on the Apple Watch. I really don't see the usefulness of pressure sensitive controls when sliding in one direction or the other tends to bring up enough options for email and such.

Could be that they have plans for it when they release that stylus they got a patent for, but I can't see myself using it all that much given the few things I actually use my phone for.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Maybe the addition of the force touch system to next gen iPhones will further advance that whole vibrate/tap/touch message whatever feature that the iWatch has.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I always love it when people are like "I don't see how this would be useful!" I mean, I don't see how it would be useful either, but I'm not designing software, I'm sitting on my rear end typing on an internet message board. If I saw how it would be useful I'd be the one making it useful. Hopefully all the people making apps and working for Apple have more imagination than I do because if they don't poo poo is gunna get boring real fast.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

FishBulb posted:

I always love it when people are like "I don't see how this would be useful!" I mean, I don't see how it would be useful either, but I'm not designing software, I'm sitting on my rear end typing on an internet message board. If I saw how it would be useful I'd be the one making it useful. Hopefully all the people making apps and working for Apple have more imagination than I do because if they don't poo poo is gunna get boring real fast.
I was mostly commenting on the gaming side of thing, where it's been tried and even people like Hideo Kojima couldn't make it work right. In the heat of the moment, it's a bit of a pain to need to differentiate between hard and soft taps.

For other usage, I'm hoping it'll have some kind of cool reason to exist.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'd like soft taps to give more info and hard ones to open the apps for notifications. I have no way of knowing what the difference between a soft and hard tap would be, but if it works well, I'm all for that kind of implementation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It force touch could solve the whole issue of website hover menus not working on mobile that alone would be worth it's weight in gold.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

FishBulb posted:

Oh I'm sure they'll find creative ways to make it useful, I just think that for a lot of the things that we do now with our phones, I'm not sure how pressure touch will make it easier or more intuitive. As you said, however, I'm not the one designing the app and I'll probably end up saying, "this is great!" when gets released.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Isn't the joke that when lots of people say "I don't see how this would be useful" it ends up being a massive hit with tons of functionality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Isn't the joke that when lots of people say "I don't see how this would be useful" it ends up being a massive hit with tons of functionality?
People said "I don't see how this would be useful" about Ping, so no, I don't think so.