Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

But we have all this...

...the fried chicken is pretty good.

Makgeolli too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Jeoh posted:

Makgeolli too

Criminy, yes. That I will miss.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Korea feels like an entire country won a contest to come up with the worst combination of Chinese, Japanese, and American cultures.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
maybe i should go there sometime and have a look

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Korea has fried chicken, distilled liquor and terrible music, putting it on a cultural par with the US state of Kentucky.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Imagine a place where public resources get taken advantage of so hard that the government decided to take away all the public trash cans because people were just carrying their garbage out to the public can on the street to save money on trash bags, and they have insane schooling hours so kids get even less non-school time than in China, and they circumcise all the boys but wait until they're old enough to be traumatized and remember it, and also men are required to work hours so long that the company has to set aside special days for them to see their families every once in a while (while maintaining the lowest productivity in the "developed" world). And also everyone drinks coffee all the time but the coffee is so watery that you can see the bottom of the mug when it's full. And also all the food is just boiled all the time instead of cooked any other way.

e: and you have to be Christian to run for office. And a bunch of other stuff

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 30, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

a7m2 posted:

One of the people doing the same internship as I am is 37, and I know plenty that are about 40.

This is the programme I came in on: http://www.i-to-i.com/teaching-internships/china Maybe there are better ones out there but personally I feel that so far it's been worth every penny and then some. I'm pretty sure there are people in this thread that offer internships also so maybe you can get a better deal. For the one I linked, you do an online course, fly to Beijing, stay there for a week where you receive additional training plus plenty of chances to explore if you use your time wisely. Afterwards you're put on a train to your placement school where you'll be placed with at least one other intern so you're not alone and you receive quite a bit of support. I came in with about 94 other interns and made some great friends during the first week in Beijing.
Make sure you have enough money for a visa and like 5000 RMB spending money so you can have lots of fun in Beijing and not have to live super frugally afterwards. Accommodation and food is provided for free in Beijing and the placement school (some placement schools give you money instead of food) and once you start teaching you get 2500 RMB per month allowance (more on your subsequent semesters).

I don't want to sound like a shill for this company so I'll say again that there's a wider selection available, some of which may be better. All I know is that I came in with this programme and it's been amazing. ImmerQi (the company that does the internship, i-to-i is just the course) also offers another programme on their website where you get intensive training in Beijing for a month apparently. I know a lot of non native speakers opted for that, but there were some native speakers also. If you have the cash it might be worth it. I can't attest for the quality of the actual course but the stuff after the course is the same (same conditions and awesome support).

PM me if you have any questions about the whole thing. One recommendation I will give you if you come here, regardless which internship you take: bring toilet paper.

I did this but it was called volunteering??? Did you pay for this?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What kind of school, where?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Imagine a place where public resources get taken advantage of so hard that the government decided to take away all the public trash cans because people were just carrying their garbage out to the public can on the street to save money on trash bags, and they have insane schooling hours so kids get even less non-school time than in China, and they circumcise all the boys but wait until they're old enough to be traumatized and remember it, and also men are required to work hours so long that the company has to set aside special days for them to see their families every once in a while (while maintaining the lowest productivity in the "developed" world). And also everyone drinks coffee all the time but the coffee is so watery that you can see the bottom of the mug when it's full. And also all the food is just boiled all the time instead of cooked any other way.

Sounds like an Arglebargle post without the orks

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bondegi in a paper cup

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

You really don't like Korea

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think Korea banged fart simpson's mom, he never misses a chance to attack 'em.

bringmyfishback posted:

Criminy, yes. That I will miss.

You can buy makgeolli here. It's relatively pricy and not any of the good stuff but it's something. I also have supplies to try making it.

E: The enduring mystery is soju is sold everywhere but makgeolli is only at the Korean grocery and a couple others. I guess soju is less awful than baijiu?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 30, 2015

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

wow

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Fart Simpson is very Chinese, and Chinese people hate Korea except for their fashion, movies, dramas,
music, idols, food, etc., so of course he must hate Korea too

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

a7m2 posted:

One of the people doing the same internship as I am is 37, and I know plenty that are about 40.

This is the programme I came in on: http://www.i-to-i.com/teaching-internships/china Maybe there are better ones out there but personally I feel that so far it's been worth every penny and then some. I'm pretty sure there are people in this thread that offer internships also so maybe you can get a better deal. For the one I linked, you do an online course, fly to Beijing, stay there for a week where you receive additional training plus plenty of chances to explore if you use your time wisely. Afterwards you're put on a train to your placement school where you'll be placed with at least one other intern so you're not alone and you receive quite a bit of support. I came in with about 94 other interns and made some great friends during the first week in Beijing.
Make sure you have enough money for a visa and like 5000 RMB spending money so you can have lots of fun in Beijing and not have to live super frugally afterwards. Accommodation and food is provided for free in Beijing and the placement school (some placement schools give you money instead of food) and once you start teaching you get 2500 RMB per month allowance (more on your subsequent semesters).

I don't want to sound like a shill for this company so I'll say again that there's a wider selection available, some of which may be better. All I know is that I came in with this programme and it's been amazing. ImmerQi (the company that does the internship, i-to-i is just the course) also offers another programme on their website where you get intensive training in Beijing for a month apparently. I know a lot of non native speakers opted for that, but there were some native speakers also. If you have the cash it might be worth it. I can't attest for the quality of the actual course but the stuff after the course is the same (same conditions and awesome support).

PM me if you have any questions about the whole thing. One recommendation I will give you if you come here, regardless which internship you take: bring toilet paper.

Huh, interesting. I've researched teaching ESL overseas quite a bit over the years. I came away with the impression that not having a degree and teaching certifications made the idea a non-starter. I also got the impression that pretty much anything that involved shelling out cash up-front was a scam. If that's not true, I am sorry I missed out. I had plenty of money for that sort of thing a year ago, or even six months ago. I've been out of work for a year, though, and I am down to scraps. I seriously ran out of ramen noodles two days ago, so there's no money for paying people to place me in jobs.

I'd still like to know more, but I am not sure which questions to ask. If you want to drop a few links for me to check out, in addition to the program you linked to, or send me any thoughts/details through private messages, I'm interested. Or, post in here if that's cool. I don't mind, either way.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I got TEFL certification and a similar stipend with Worldteach. I didn't have to pay. You should look that up instead of paying for an internship.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

angel opportunity posted:

Fart Simpson is very Chinese, and Chinese people hate Korea except for their fashion, movies, dramas,

Actually I don't like any of that stuff except some of the food is pretty good. My reasons for disliking Korea are unlike the reasons the average Chinese person has for disliking Korea.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Is your wife aware of your homosexuality?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

Is your wife aware of your homosexuality?

Tetchy. Bad day in Mordor?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

Tetchy. Bad day in Mordor?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

I'm Chinese and I hate kpop. I don't hate Korea though. It's a very nice colony

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

caberham posted:

I'm Chinese and I hate kpop. I don't hate Korea though. It's a very nice colony

:iceburn:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Korea's basically China with a better internet connection, cleaner air, and marginally more polite society.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'd be interested to go to Korea and have a feeling I'd like it slightly more than China...maybe.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
come to Japan instead

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea's basically China with a better internet connection, cleaner air, and marginally more polite society.

Korea is much worse than China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd be interested to go to Korea and have a feeling I'd like it slightly more than China...maybe.

Here is my incomplete comparison from three and a half years living in Korea and six months in China.

China advantages:

Better job.
:circlefap: Sichuan food :circlefap:
Much more comfortable lifestyle financially.
Cities are less ugly.
Everybody is way shorter than Koreans so I can always see in crowds. This advantage may not apply in northern China.

Korea advantages:

Cleanliness, both hygiene and public spaces like bathrooms.
Minimal pollution.
More polite civil society (though not strikingly more like Japan).
Literacy in a day.
Better infrastructure. Public transit, internet connection, utilities are a lot more reliable.
More modern in general. In Korea it's easy to forget it was still kind of a hellhole 20 years ago. In China you're reminded every time you spend an hour trying to pay a phone bill because taking money out of a bank account is a concept that hasn't made it here yet.
Lack of street making GBS threads.

Overall I'm preferring China but Korea has a lot of good parts. If you could find a non-bullshit awful job in Korea it would probably win. That is a big if though. I enjoyed visiting over CNY since it's a nice place to not be employed.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

Cities are less ugly.

What the gently caress is up with the lack of trees in Korean cities? It's not like there are none, just conspicuously few. Seoul brags about how much parkland it has, but it's all in a few huge parks...most of the city is a concrete wasteland.

Then look at the War Museum. They took over part of Yongsan, one of the biggest swaths of green space in Seoul, and CUT DOWN EVERY GODDAMN TREE AND PAVED IT OVER before parking a bunch of tanks on it.

Did they hand Yongsan over entirely to the Koreans yet? I'll bet they raze it to loving bedrock.

Oh yeah, and I had a Korean girlfriend who had some weird agoraphobic thing where she'd freak out (curling up on the ground screaming...witnessed this 3 times) any time she went anywhere out of sight of pavement or other manmade structures. This has got to be related somehow.

quote:

Everybody is way shorter than Koreans so I can always see in crowds. This advantage may not apply in northern China.

Does not apply, more tall people than Korea.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Here is my incomplete comparison from three and a half years living in Korea and six months in China.

China advantages:

Better job.
:circlefap: Sichuan food :circlefap:
Much more comfortable lifestyle financially.
Cities are less ugly.

Korea advantages:

Cleanliness, both hygiene and public spaces like bathrooms.
Minimal pollution.
More polite civil society (though not strikingly more like Japan).
Literacy in a day.
Better infrastructure. Public transit, internet connection, utilities are a lot more reliable.
More modern in general. In Korea it's easy to forget it was still kind of a hellhole 20 years ago. In China you're reminded every time you spend an hour trying to pay a phone bill because taking money out of a bank account is a concept that hasn't made it here yet.
Lack of street making GBS threads.

Overall I'm preferring China but Korea has a lot of good parts. If you could find a non-bullshit awful job in Korea it would probably win. That is a big if though. I enjoyed visiting over CNY since it's a nice place to not be employed.

You're doing banking wrongly in China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

And billing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Then give details. Literally everyone I've asked, foreign, Chinese, and bank employee, told me there is no bill debit here. I have these dumb rear end cards to pay for electricity and gas and poo poo at convenience stores.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

My internet, cable TV, and landline phone (lol) are directly debited from my bank account each month. You can pay your mobile phone bills from your bank account like this:

and wait there's more!

and also I can just pay bills from an automated kiosk at the bank, beside all the ATMs.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't pay and 听不懂

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You can even order and pay for fresh produce and groceries, delivered next day to your door, all from the comfort of your phone.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Physical supermarkets around here are even adopting wechat and alipay options for payment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fart simpson posted:

My internet, cable TV, and landline phone (lol) are directly debited from my bank account each month. You can pay your mobile phone bills from your bank account like this:

and wait there's more!

and also I can just pay bills from an automated kiosk at the bank, beside all the ATMs.

Looks neat, can you post the app's name? Searching for hongbao is giving me like a billion things and none of the screenshots look like yours. How'd you convince the bank to do debits for your bills?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Alipay is the app (支付宝) and I didn't have to ask my bank anything. When I signed up at China Telecom for Internet/phone and then when I signed up at Topway for cable TV, they asked me if I wanted them to debit my account automatically each month and I said yep.

e: You should already have an alipay account anyway because Taobao. And you can also use the app to instantly send money to other people for free, up to like 20k RMB or something. I don't know because I never send that much to anybody at one time. My coworkers and I sometimes use it to split the check at restaurants.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 31, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've asked to do direct debit every time I get something and they always tell me it doesn't exist in China. I paid a year up front for my internet and I'm going to do that for my phone I think just to stop loving with it.

I have a Taobao account but I couldn't sign up for Alipay, I don't remember why anymore but it wouldn't allow me. I need to try again.

It would be neat if people posted useful apps/sites/living stuff to update the OP with. I feel like I constantly hear rumor of easy ways to do things but nobody I ask ever has any idea what the gently caress I'm talking about and the person who says it originally doesn't give details. Like how are people paying for things with Wechat? I don't see anything in it connected to money.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

There's literally stores on wechat where you can buy a prepared, ready to cook meal consisting of sliced vegetables and meat and stuff, delivered to your door like fast food so all you have to do is throw everything in a wok. And you pay on wechat too. You can use wechat to send money to your friends, etc.

If you make a list of ease of living stuff it needs to be:
1. Taobao
2. Alipay
3. Wechat
4. https://www.jd.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Are you getting internet from China Telecom? Did you try asking them about a direct debit payment option? I just had to give them my bank account number, the name and phone number exactly as they are on the bank account, and I don't think anything else at all? I can log on to my account page on their web portal and change everything, too. I logged on and upgraded my service from 4mbps to 100mbps and they automatically took the 200 or whatever RMB from my bank account and my Internet speed was 100mpbs less than 3 minutes later. You can go through a huge portion of your life here in urban China barely talking to anyone, just doing everything online or with a mobile app.