Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Littlefinger saw no advantage (To him, personally) in exposing Arya, so he didn't. He only works for the Lannisters or whoever when it suits him. Remember he was ready to seize the throne with Ned until Ned decided to stick to his honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Away all Goats posted:

Littlefinger saw no advantage (To him, personally) in exposing Arya, so he didn't. He only works for the Lannisters or whoever when it suits him. Remember he was ready to seize the throne with Ned until Ned decided to stick to his honor.

Yuuuup. He may have seen a tiny bargaining chip if he had Arya on his side, but overall she didn't matter at the time. It was definitely framed so that he recognised, but disregarded her. He and Varys are so happy to do what's "best for the realm", but ultimately it's for what's best for themselves AND the realm.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mng posted:

Yuuuup. He may have seen a tiny bargaining chip if he had Arya on his side, but overall she didn't matter at the time. It was definitely framed so that he recognised, but disregarded her. He and Varys are so happy to do what's "best for the realm", but ultimately it's for what's best for themselves AND the realm.

Actually he and Varys are very different. Varys is for the good of the realm, Littlefinger is just for himself.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Actually he and Varys are very different. Varys is for the good of the realm, Littlefinger is just for himself.

Yeah, you're right. Book-Littlefinger is very much about self-preservation, and I get that mixed up with the show version. Buuut this is the wrong thread for that.

It's really helpful that Varys is a merman and can just swim off to his homeworld, if the heat is on. Littlefinger needs a significant bit of help from the Iron Throne to secure his safety!

e: Show-Littlefinger is the same as in the books, but he just seems a bit more muddy to me.

old bean factory has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Mar 29, 2015

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

That just makes them more terrifying, the smaller the faster. Anybody who says feathers make dinosaurs look wimpy has never been close to a bird. My pet parakeet is maybe the size of a Bic lighter under the feathers, his tiny lil' beak can't break skin, and he still scares me sometimes by basically teleporting. The grey bird can bite a finger to the bone, I wear a welding glove when I have him out on my hand because I don't trust him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4Zmw6l06U

The dinosaur in my living room. Also the "Awk! Polly want a cracker. Awk!" thing in movies is what macaws sound like, Greys are perfect mimics -- one time the rear end in a top hat in the above video cursed in InediblePenguin's voice, and when MomPenguin yelled at InediblePenguin for saying such things, the bird laughed.

Theropoda: 200 million years of jerks.

Bird tangent: pretty sure it's been mentioned several times already, but the red-tailed hawk screech as generic "eagle" sound effect is annoying. Like the bird version of the Wilhelm scream.

For actual on-topic content, what happened to the other 8 guys on The A-Team? In the show and movie there were four leads, while a real-life A-team is 12 guys. It's one of those "in the industry depicted and noticing things" things to me -- my dad was MOS 18E in Vietnam.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I swear it's been explained to me already, but I still don't get what the guys at the start of Robocop 2014 were trying to accomplish by getting themselves blown up and shot by giant stompy death robots.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Trying to destroy our FREEDOM :911:

Yea gently caress if I know either.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I swear it's been explained to me already, but I still don't get what the guys at the start of Robocop 2014 were trying to accomplish by getting themselves blown up and shot by giant stompy death robots.

I'm pretty sure the idea was to get killed in a very visible and spectacular way to as a protest against the occupation. Self-immolation by way of robot, if you will. I think it was even framed in such a way to show that they intentionally targeted a patrol that was being recorded by a camera team.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's the thing that gets me though. Lets prove these robots are unnecessary by shooting wildly at them with machine guns. :psyduck:

I understand it from a film perspective - it highlights the idea that humans need to be behind the trigger, as those robots make no distinction between the fully grown men with weapons and the kid who simply picks up a carving knife - but I'm struggling to get my head around what the hell those dudes were thinking in-universe.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

poptart_fairy posted:

That's the thing that gets me though. Lets prove these robots are unnecessary by shooting wildly at them with machine guns. :psyduck:

I understand it from a film perspective - it highlights the idea that humans need to be behind the trigger, as those robots make no distinction between the fully grown men with weapons and the kid who simply picks up a carving knife - but I'm struggling to get my head around what the hell those dudes were thinking in-universe.

Just seconds ago Sam Jackson explained how the robots have completely pacified the area and that all inhabitants are happy and cooperative. The attackers wanted to show that that was bullshit, not that the robots are ineffective.

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008

loving awesome. It honestly amazes me that the garage project that that was turned into the nightmare fest that was aliens. I feel like CGI today is so soulless because they don't have backyard runs like this to figure out the physics of the subjects. Nothing has weight and everything moves like, well, computer generated beings. I feel like modern movies would benefit heavily by dry runs like this just to get the real-world feel for the movement of big-bads like the queen alien etc. Instead we get one actor-at-a-time green screens like the hobbit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Grendels Dad posted:

Just seconds ago Sam Jackson explained how the robots have completely pacified the area and that all inhabitants are happy and cooperative. The attackers wanted to show that that was bullshit, not that the robots are ineffective.

Oh, poo poo, I missed that bit. Well then. :downs:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Toastymcfly posted:

loving awesome. It honestly amazes me that the garage project that that was turned into the nightmare fest that was aliens. I feel like CGI today is so soulless because they don't have backyard runs like this to figure out the physics of the subjects. Nothing has weight and everything moves like, well, computer generated beings. I feel like modern movies would benefit heavily by dry runs like this just to get the real-world feel for the movement of big-bads like the queen alien etc. Instead we get one actor-at-a-time green screens like the hobbit.

Yeah I really agree with you. The best and worst example is King Kong imo. A lot of the dinosaurs look reasonable except when they are stampeding when it looks so so bad. Kong himself is incredible though, maybe the best CGI I've ever seen. God I love that film

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

poptart_fairy posted:

They were trying to get some violence into the first five minutes of the movie. It's kind of an ongoing trend of this poo poo now. They usually just start in the middle of the movie and then do the cut to x days ago to do the setup though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

They were trying to get some violence into the first five minutes of the movie. It's kind of an ongoing trend of this poo poo now. They usually just start in the middle of the movie and then do the cut to x days ago to do the setup though.

Yeah that has been a really common trend in video games for a while now. It gives the audience a glimpse of what is going to come. To hook you so that the build up doesn't bore you. Though I think that makes more sense for a game when the build up could be 3-4 hours.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shwqa posted:

Yeah that has been a really common trend in video games for a while now. It gives the audience a glimpse of what is going to come. To hook you so that the build up doesn't bore you. Though I think that makes more sense for a game when the build up could be 3-4 hours.

In medias res can be a really great storytelling tool, but a more and more media seems to be leaning into it really hard.

But for games it's pretty great. I wouldn't mind a re-release of FFVII that starts you out at the Shin-Ra building so I can just do that part then gtfo of Midgar within a couple hours, instead of however long it takes (way too long)

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rewatching Game of Thrones.

How did Littlefinger not recognize Arya Stark when she was in the burned out castle and was serving as a cupbearer? I know she looks nothing like her sister but of all people Littlefinger should know. Along similar lines, other than the girls, do the younger Stark boys have any idea about the Red Wedding happening? I can't remember Bran talking about it at all but compared to other characters his is kinda forgettable.

Littlefinger didn't actually get to see her face in that scene, did he? She was keeping her head down and her face averted from what I remember. Wasn't there a part where she spills wine on him and it looks like he is going to recognize her but then he gets distracted by something?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Toastymcfly posted:

Gandalf broke down crying filming one of those scenes and said "this isn't why I became an actor." His mic was on. The whole studio heard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rysithusiku posted:

Gandalf broke down crying filming one of those scenes and said "this isn't why I became an actor." His mic was on. The whole studio heard.

I will never not post this

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

So sad, so good. Bilbo's head floating throughout is just hilarious.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Toastymcfly posted:

Peter Jackson didn't want to greenscreen those scenes. Originally they used forced perspective for nearly every shot where Gandalf is huge compared to the short characters, or used body doubles who were very short, next to a guy on stilts. Since The Hobbit films were in 3D, however, forced perspective flat out fails. They tried, and it was incredibly obvious that Gandalf was just closer to the camera and had smaller props. They developed a pretty neat technology to track the two scenes together live, because both sides were being filmed at the same time on two sets right next to each other for proper reactions.

I still feel bad for Ian McKellen, though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Kruller posted:

I always find it really interesting how difficult he found it because that process is more or less what Tatiana Maslany does all day every day on Orphan Black. Not that I'm saying he should be okay with it, it's not what he signed up for and it's definitely way different to traditional acting, it's just an interesting comparison.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rysithusiku posted:

For real?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

FishMist posted:

Littlefinger didn't actually get to see her face in that scene, did he? She was keeping her head down and her face averted from what I remember. Wasn't there a part where she spills wine on him and it looks like he is going to recognize her but then he gets distracted by something?

I was under the impression he did recognise her (he follows her out of the room) but took no action because

a. It would mean Tywin knowing who she was and that would be to his advantage and likely Littlefinger's disadvantage.
b. Littlefinger wasn't in a position to get her by himself because he was solo in Harrenhal
c. I think that is also why he pushed to be given Harrenhal by Joffrey after the Red Wedding.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Kurtofan posted:

For real?

http://hub.contactmusic.com/ian-mckellen/news/ian-mckellen-broke-down-on-the-hobbit-set_3378939

Also... The pictures?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Organza Quiz posted:

I always find it really interesting how difficult he found it because that process is more or less what Tatiana Maslany does all day every day on Orphan Black. Not that I'm saying he should be okay with it, it's not what he signed up for and it's definitely way different to traditional acting, it's just an interesting comparison.

Ian McKellan has been acting since before CGI was even a thing. Going from that to talking to a tiny picture of Martin Freeman on a stick while everyone else has a full on, proper set, is likely to be a bit jarring. Most actors who have done a totally green-screened scene or film tend to say it isn't terribly fun. Tatiana Maslany may spend a lot of time in front of a screen, but for at least one of the characters, she's on the proper set, and has the benefit of knowing exactly what the "other" characters are doing or will do. She has a different level of feedback than "tennis ball on stick".

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
On the Robocop 2014 opening scene, it seemed to me like it was orchestrated by Sam Jackson's character. A direct example of how the bots wouldn't shoot friendlies, by recruiting locals during an occupation. A way to rile up US citizens to support robots.
Not that there's a lot to go on for my hypothesis, but the way it was presented made it seem like it was a totally planned thing from Jackson's POV, but not the film crew or soldiers on the ground. He was ecstatic to show just how much the robots kept "non-combatants" (US people in this case) safe in a war zone.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Why did they release those pictures?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Poor guy, I hope he landed a more traditional role after that at some point.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

In medias res can be a really great storytelling tool, but a more and more media seems to be leaning into it really hard.

But for games it's pretty great. I wouldn't mind a re-release of FFVII that starts you out at the Shin-Ra building so I can just do that part then gtfo of Midgar within a couple hours, instead of however long it takes (way too long)

Really? Midgar was the best part of the game, and most people I know wish more of the game had taken place there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kruller posted:

Peter Jackson didn't want to greenscreen those scenes. Originally they used forced perspective for nearly every shot where Gandalf is huge compared to the short characters, or used body doubles who were very short, next to a guy on stilts. Since The Hobbit films were in 3D, however, forced perspective flat out fails. They tried, and it was incredibly obvious that Gandalf was just closer to the camera and had smaller props. They developed a pretty neat technology to track the two scenes together live, because both sides were being filmed at the same time on two sets right next to each other for proper reactions.

All the forced perspective stuff is really loving amazing when you find out how they did it. That scene in LOTR where Frodo and Gandalf ride on the wagon, the wagon was actually this huge angled contraption so that Gandalf could sit next to the camera and Frodo could sit really far away and have them look like they were next to each other. Gandalf's robe covers up the part in the middle where the wagon splits and the second seat is waaaaaay back.

Even more impressive is the LOTR dinner scene. They had to build this clockwork contraption that would actually rotate the chairs and the table at the same rate they were turning the camera in order to sweep around the scene, in order to keep all the forced perspective on the right angles as the camera moved. I can't imagine how much work that took.

And then The Hobbit they just greenscreened it.

I love CG but I really wish it wasn't so over-used, it just feels lazy. I'm really looking forward to the new Star Wars which is supposed to use practical effects as much as possible and only CG where it truly has to be.

Midgar is the best part of the game and it kinda unravels from there so you're crazy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zaphod42 posted:

All the forced perspective stuff is really loving amazing when you find out how they did it. That scene in LOTR where Frodo and Gandalf ride on the wagon, the wagon was actually this huge angled contraption so that Gandalf could sit next to the camera and Frodo could sit really far away and have them look like they were next to each other. Gandalf's robe covers up the part in the middle where the wagon splits and the second seat is waaaaaay back.

Even more impressive is the LOTR dinner scene. They had to build this clockwork contraption that would actually rotate the chairs and the table at the same rate they were turning the camera in order to sweep around the scene, in order to keep all the forced perspective on the right angles as the camera moved. I can't imagine how much work that took.

They did what now? :psyduck:

Now I have to watch through all the LOTR behind-the-scenes stuff, because I had no idea.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KozmoNaut posted:

They did what now? :psyduck:

Now I have to watch through all the LOTR behind-the-scenes stuff, because I had no idea.

Yeah its insane.

To give you an idea, here's what that wagon looks like from any angle other than where the camera was:

poo poo picture, best I could find on short notice, sorry.

And here's what that loving dinner table looks like. Remember, the movie version is rectangular and rounded.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ZiHEQimwE

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is seriously amazing stuff. It's such a shame that they just resorted to greenscreening everything in the Hobbit movies.

E: Here's the full "Scale" feature from the BTS stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVzVpluvg9s

The big rig stuff is hilariously wonky.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Mar 30, 2015

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Midgar is the best part of the game and it kinda unravels from there so you're crazy.

I'm being trolled right now. I know it. Two people can't have opinions this bad. I don't believe it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Midnight Raider posted:

Really? Midgar was the best part of the game, and most people I know wish more of the game had taken place there.

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe it was, but I've played it through over a dozen times or so. After the 4th or 5th run, the exact-sameyness of the Midgar rails got real old and I just saw it as an obstacle towards getting out into the open-ish world where I could start breeding chocobos n killing time at the Golden Saucer n poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maybe it was, but I've played it through over a dozen times or so. After the 4th or 5th run, the exact-sameyness of the Midgar rails got real old and I just saw it as an obstacle towards getting out into the open-ish world where I could start breeding chocobos n killing time at the Golden Saucer n poo poo.

The obvious solution would be to just keep a save right after Midgar.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Len posted:

And miss that extremely story-important fight with an angry robot house? I think not.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Len posted:

HOW DID I NEVER loving THINK OF THIS

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The entire game sucks HTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its insane.

To give you an idea, here's what that wagon looks like from any angle other than where the camera was:

poo poo picture, best I could find on short notice, sorry.

And here's what that loving dinner table looks like. Remember, the movie version is rectangular and rounded.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ZiHEQimwE

:aaa: This is amazing. I never actually liked Peter Jackson's LotR movies much either but this is some seriously impressive work.