Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Count Bleck posted:

Was Wasteland really the only thing in Tempest that was worth actual dollars?

Not sure on the online prices but: http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=TMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bugsy posted:

Don't forget that the only reason Earthcraft is only $25 is because it is banned in Legacy.

I don't know why they bothered with this whole slick remastered stuff. Cards are gonna look like 90s era JPEGs on MODO anyway.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but I'm running into issues managing my "good rares, planeswalkers, lands, etc that I might put into decks" cards. My bulk commons/uncommons go into white boxes, my bulk rares go into ultra pro pages in a 3-ring binder, but the good stuff kind of floats around in various decks, piles on my desk, and in a small 4-to-a-page binder that is really better suited for trades and nothing else.

How do you all store/manage your good constructed cards that are actively seeing some kind of play? I've been thinking about just getting one of those Four binders or something.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Bugsy posted:

As far as online prices go the only things I can think of that costs an obscene amount are Wasteland (which this is "fixing"), Misdirection, Daze, and LotV (I think).

Also the set isn't just Tempest but the whole block.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

Tempest Remastered full spoiler

Edit: Wasteland is rare :/

They should do stuff like this in paper for oldern day legacy sets...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ShaneB posted:

How do you all store/manage your good constructed cards that are actively seeing some kind of play? I've been thinking about just getting one of those Four binders or something.
I keep all of my rares that aren't in decks in my binder, which is now one of those nice new things with the fabric backing that load from the side and no rings. un/commons all go in random piles/boxes in my room until I get too many of them, at which point I sell them off in bulk.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but I'm running into issues managing my "good rares, planeswalkers, lands, etc that I might put into decks" cards. My bulk commons/uncommons go into white boxes, my bulk rares go into ultra pro pages in a 3-ring binder, but the good stuff kind of floats around in various decks, piles on my desk, and in a small 4-to-a-page binder that is really better suited for trades and nothing else.

I keep my rares sorted in one of those big, 4-row long boxes. Playable (un)commons and rares also go in there but in a separate spot. The thing that sucks for me is finding cards I use in multiple decks (Goyfs and Wastelands in particular) because I usually don't remember where I used them last after about a week. It doesn't help that all of the decks I play regularly are in the same kind of deck box.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yawgmoth posted:

I keep all of my rares that aren't in decks in my binder, which is now one of those nice new things with the fabric backing that load from the side and no rings. un/commons all go in random piles/boxes in my room until I get too many of them, at which point I sell them off in bulk.

I just have a separate binder for playable stuff other than what is in my trade binder...

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Some funny mythic choices.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

I just have a separate binder for playable stuff other than what is in my trade binder...
I don't have that much playable stuff. :v:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ShaneB posted:

Why do you bother to binder bulk? I only binder playables. I have 2 3" 3 ring binders. 1 is for rares/mythics/foils/promos. the other is for commons/uncommons that are playable. The first binder is 1 card per slot. The C/U binder is 1-6ish per slot. Everything else is in a binder/fat pack box/ stack on my desk that needs organized. I probably am going to need to expand my 3 rings, my C/U binder is getting to big. I have an ultrapro pro binder that I take for my actual trades. I'm not heavy into trading, I'd rather have 6 of everything and be the guy who loans cards heh. When my trade binder gets full I usually let a store binder grind it and get some new staples for modern or whatever.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

Some funny mythic choices.

Cataclysm and Humility probably suck to play against in Limited.
Dream Halls is obviously stupid good and Time Warp effects are always Mythic.
Living Death (see Cataclysm) and Recurring Nightmare is Recurring Nightmare.
Shard Phoenix and Starke both also probably suck to play against in Limited.
Oath of Druids and Survival of the Fittest are both really dumb.
Sliver Queen was a shoe-in for becoming Mythic.
Cursed Scroll, Grindstone, and Mox Diamond are all stupidly good cards.
Volrath's Stronghold is just VALUE.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I didn't know that tempest remastered would have cards from the whole block (because I am too lazy to read press releases, you see). Tempest was my favorite block and I am going to buy like, 4 boxes of this. There are so many good cards! Can't help but notice the severe lack of licid though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

jassi007 posted:

Why do you bother to binder bulk?
Because there's a ton of EDH players who want to trade for 20 of my garbage rares and give me a shock/fetch that's not in their colors for them. And before you ask: yes, they (at least in my neighborhood) do stick to one deck and one commander and will only get cards for that one deck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Failboattootoot posted:

I didn't know that tempest remastered would have cards from the whole block (because I am too lazy to read press releases, you see). Tempest was my favorite block and I am going to buy like, 4 boxes of this. There are so many good cards! Can't help but notice the severe lack of licid though.

Well, it's MODO-only, so good luck with that. The things you miss when you don't read press releases. :)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, it's MODO-only, so good luck with that. The things you miss when you don't read press releases. :)

Everything is terrible!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

The main issue with the decks that are going to be built around Narset like the Sorani deck, and something that i didn't think of before this weekend is the fact that Duress is in the format and it's very easy for an abzan deck which has access to cards that take over the game like Rhino's and Tasigur's to also play EIGHT TWELVE discard spells in their 75 and it's going to be very hard for Esper or BU or UW to fight against that.

Fixed that for you. Remember: Despite hits walkers. :getin:

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I pitched into Magic Online thinking I could do some practice drafting for DTK, but apparently DTK isn't available on Magic Online yet? When does that happen?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Dohaeris posted:

I pitched into Magic Online thinking I could do some practice drafting for DTK, but apparently DTK isn't available on Magic Online yet? When does that happen?

Friday or so

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Yawgmoth posted:

Because there's a ton of EDH players who want to trade for 20 of my garbage rares and give me a shock/fetch that's not in their colors for them. And before you ask: yes, they (at least in my neighborhood) do stick to one deck and one commander and will only get cards for that one deck.

Oh well, i mean I have a trade binder, which sure I'll have bulk-ish cards. I just was imagining you binder all your bulk rares which seems a little crazy :) I usually keep some stuff I think people might like for edh etc. in my trade binder but poo poo that is just useless I store in a fat pack box for bulk rares until its pretty full, then I find someone at the LGS who travels to get rid of it for me. (ie sell for 10 cents per) or I just trade. Guy at our store is pretty cool he'll trade things he's going to buylist at buylist prices so last time I had a decent amount of bulk he traded me 2 sarkhans at 12.50 buylist for $25 in bulk rares. All buylists the same for him.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

Cataclysm and Humility probably suck to play against in Limited.
Dream Halls is obviously stupid good and Time Warp effects are always Mythic.
Living Death (see Cataclysm) and Recurring Nightmare is Recurring Nightmare.
Shard Phoenix and Starke both also probably suck to play against in Limited.
Oath of Druids and Survival of the Fittest are both really dumb.
Sliver Queen was a shoe-in for becoming Mythic.
Cursed Scroll, Grindstone, and Mox Diamond are all stupidly good cards.
Volrath's Stronghold is just VALUE.

And now I don't have to go and look back at what's mythic.
The red mythics seem like booby prizes, but I guess that's normal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Fixed that for you. Remember: Despite hits walkers. :getin:

I don't think Despise is playable.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Despise is playable.

Against control decks? (I'd lean to agreeing with you) or in general?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Snacksmaniac posted:

The red mythics seem like booby prizes, but I guess that's normal.

Looking at all of the red cards in the block, they really didn't have better choices. Shard Phoenix is a self-recurring Seismic Rupture that's also got evasion, and that's the most mythic-ish card Red has. The only other thing as splashy is Apocalypse and that reads like poo poo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

jassi007 posted:

Oh well, i mean I have a trade binder, which sure I'll have bulk-ish cards. I just was imagining you binder all your bulk rares which seems a little crazy :)
It might be if I had a bulk amount of bulk rares. As it is, right now I have on average 2 pages of rares per color and lands, plus about 3 each of artifacts, multicolor, and foils. When I get too bogged down with crap no one wants I'll generally go through, pull out anything I've had for longer than 6 months that I don't see myself using, and sell the stack off to whatever store will give me the best payout. Last time I did that I got about $55 for them, which I then used to buy a few Elspeth, KE for a modern deck I had been building.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Rimusutera posted:

In the matchups where you want to bring in discard you generally want to be taking their non-creature spells

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rimusutera posted:

In general. One for one discard is pretty bad vs most creature decks. And like you said Duress is much better vs control.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rimusutera posted:

In general I would say Despise is pretty bad since if I want to get rid of a creature in black I have a wide selection of "kill target creature" spells. The only time I would use it is if I knew my opponent was heavy in hexproof/indestructible creatures.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So if you're running something like this list:
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=9448&d=254169&f=ST

Arc Lightning comes in vs tokens or mirror matching, but what do you take out to stick the Roasts and Outpost Sieges in? Presumably Roast comes in vs people with Rhinos or other beefy creatures and Siege goes in against control, but what's worth removing for those?

I've got 4 searing blood and need to grab those Eidolons too. But no idea how really to sideboard this deck yet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Was Wasteland really the only thing in Tempest that was worth actual dollars?

Mox Diamond, Ensnaring Bridge, City of Traitors?

Some of the choices for Mythic are random as hell, e.g. Oath of Druids, Survival of the Fittest were both rares in VMA.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dohaeris posted:

So if you're running something like this list:
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=9448&d=254169&f=ST

Arc Lightning comes in vs tokens or mirror matching, but what do you take out to stick the Roasts and Outpost Sieges in? Presumably Roast comes in vs people with Rhinos or other beefy creatures and Siege goes in against control, but what's worth removing for those?

I've got 4 searing blood and need to grab those Eidolons too. But no idea how really to sideboard this deck yet.
I'd swap out the Slashes for Roasts against Abzan midrange/control. Against straight up control I'd take out some combination of Wild Slashes and Eidolons for the Sieges.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Mox Diamond, Ensnaring Bridge, City of Traitors?

Some of the choices for Mythic are random as hell, e.g. Oath of Druids, Survival of the Fittest were both rares in VMA.

I think that's the point. Like, Wasteland and City of Traitors as rare while Volrath's Stronghold is mythic is a total gimme to better manage the price on CoT/Wasteland. Given that Oath and Survival were reprinted recently this will affect their current price less while allowing other cards to come into circulation.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Wild Slash all for Sieges. Eidolon does work on Control.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I've only got 2 Outpost Sieges. I'm hoping to have 3 Zurgo Bellstriker and 4 Lightning Berzerker in there before a tournament tonight too. I'm not seeing a lot of Searing Blood in these lists. I've got 2 of in my sideboard right now, along with 2 bathe in dragonfire. Probably replacing the dragonfires to get 4 Roast. Searing Blood has done some excellent work for me in the past few weeks so I feel reluctant to cut it completely. But other than "oh they're using 2 toughness or less creatures" being a flag, I'm not sure when to stick it in or take it out. Wild Slash out makes a ton of sense though. Hurray for new magic players.

Big thank you to everyone who throws out advice for us newer players in this thread by the way.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

By the way, you also bring the Mountain in when you're bringing in the Sieges to help you actually cast them on schedule.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Dohaeris posted:

I've only got 2 Outpost Sieges. I'm hoping to have 3 Zurgo Bellstriker and 4 Lightning Berzerker in there before a tournament tonight too. I'm not seeing a lot of Searing Blood in these lists. I've got 2 of in my sideboard right now, along with 2 bathe in dragonfire. Probably replacing the dragonfires to get 4 Roast. Searing Blood has done some excellent work for me in the past few weeks so I feel reluctant to cut it completely. But other than "oh they're using 2 toughness or less creatures" being a flag, I'm not sure when to stick it in or take it out. Wild Slash out makes a ton of sense though. Hurray for new magic players.

Big thank you to everyone who throws out advice for us newer players in this thread by the way.

People aren't playing Searing Blood as much because R/W is dead.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Reminder about the new meta, supposedly the Pantheon dudes playing at SCG this weekend played known decks to keep their PT brews a secret so maybe they'll do something really interesting

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

Reminder about the new meta, supposedly the Pantheon dudes playing at SCG this weekend played known decks to keep their PT brews a secret so maybe they'll do something really interesting

I can't wait for PT RDW.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't wait for PT RDW.

Isn't that exactly what happened with PT M15 when Rabblemaster came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

qbert posted:

Isn't that exactly what happened with PT M15 when Rabblemaster came out?

Nah, Ivan Floch won that one with a UW control deck that had zero M15 cards in it.

e: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=7946&f=ST

• Locked thread