Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Most family marts have the lovely grape and orange slupree things in the summer that take the place of the sweet potato rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
id fight a taxi driver to get some icees here, i know asia has them

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Slurpees have been replaced by delicious soft serve ice cream

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haha Taiwan plebs enjoy your clean air and relative free press, I'll continue paying for poo poo at 7-11 and from vending machines with my cell phone.

I don't even remember what cash is!!!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I was about to say, Slurpees are old and busted, soft serve is the new hotness.

For a couple more months tops.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Magna Kaser posted:

Haha Taiwan plebs enjoy your clean air and relative free press, I'll continue paying for poo poo at 7-11 and from vending machines with my cell phone.

I don't even remember what cash is!!!

You can easily pay for poo poo at sev with your cell phone. You just can't pay with your grandpa's swipe credit card.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I'm not saying I'd pay for a $1 drink with my credit card. I'm saying it's just wacky the lengths it seems Taiwanese folks go to not use credit cards.

Like I just spent thirty bucks at a Starbucks and the barista made this grand show of getting out this dusty machine to take my card.

I've been to Eastern Europe and they don't blink an eye!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm not saying I'd pay for a $1 drink with my credit card. I'm saying it's just wacky the lengths it seems Taiwanese folks go to not use credit cards.

Like I just spent thirty bucks at a Starbucks and the barista made this grand show of getting out this dusty machine to take my card.

Right because Eastern Europe still lives in an era where people use swipe credit cards to pay for things. Get a modern credit card, an easy card, or pay with cash.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Insane Totoro posted:

I just spent thirty bucks at a Starbucks

:lol::lol::lol:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
coffee tawk: try finding a cama cafe, they own

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cama is def. legit.

Insane Totoro posted:

Dude I moved here from a country that even 20 years ago was already a long ways toward cashless, so I know what you mean, but you know what? You just gotta suck it up and deal. That's how this place works. One of the many, many ways in which Taiwan needs to catch up to the late 20th century, but there's not poo poo to be done about it.

I mean, it's important to bear in mind that despite being a hub of the tech industry, a massive amount of urban Taiwan was literal farmland within living memory.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 30, 2015

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I'm coming to Taiwan, but before I do I'm going to get a McFlurry.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lady Galaga posted:

Your gay.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
^Got hella milk tea McFlurrys in Taiwan!
My undergrad advisor studied in Taiwan back when the ROC was still in the UN and everything. I asked if they had the subway back then, he said the road next to NTU was literally a gutter and just a bit further away were oxen walking around.

I also love this video and how incredibly uncomfortable this dude is (and how standard his mandarin :allears: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFPzEMSu1o8

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

My undergrad advisor studied in Taiwan back when the ROC was still in the UN and everything. I asked if they had the subway back then, he said the road next to NTU was literally a gutter and just a bit further away were oxen walking around.
I met a couple of guys on the way to Computex years ago who said basically the same thing about Xinyi in the 1980s. They hadn't been back in the better part of 20 years and were blown away by what had transpired in the interim.

I also remember reading a website by a guy who was stationed in Taiwan with the US Army in the 1960s, near "a small town a few miles north of Taipei" - Shilin.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Lady Galaga posted:

They're here too, though no Butterfingers here(:argh:) and mcflurrys are inferior blizzards anyway.

TetsuoTW posted:

I met a couple of guys on the way to Computex years ago who said basically the same thing about Xinyi in the 1980s. They hadn't been back in the better part of 20 years and were blown away by what had transpired in the interim.

I also remember reading a website by a guy who was stationed in Taiwan with the US Army in the 1960s, near "a small town a few miles north of Taipei" - Shilin.

My dad visited taiwan a long time ago and always tells me "I remember it was still a bunch of dirt roads" (I believe he was talking about Taipei at the time)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

They're here too, though no Butterfingers here(:argh:) and mcflurrys are inferior blizzards anyway.
You know there are a couple of DQs around Taipei now right?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

And cheap dentists.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

duckfarts posted:

coffee tawk: try finding a cama cafe, they own

Srsly one of these just opened in Taoyuan a couple of months ago and I always wondered if it was worth my hard earned cash so thanks for the recommendation.

Edit: My grandfather worked for a shipping company in the 70s and 80s and he was in Taichung a bunch. He has a lot of great stories from the era under martial law. They were not allowed to make phone calls back to the states without a military guard monitoring the phone call, though my grandfather says the minders never spoke English at all and it was fun to see how inflammatory the language could get without their minder even batting an eye.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 30, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TetsuoTW posted:

Really? I went to Beijing last week and I was very happy to get DQ there. I don't know how well they would do here because other ice cream shop proliferation is complete.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

Really? I went to Beijing last week and I was very happy to get DQ there. I don't know how well they would do here because other ice cream shop proliferation is complete.

DQ is quickly becoming like KFC and Pizza Hut in that there are a hell of a lot more of them in China than anywhere else. I pass 3 DQs on my way to work every morning, and that's only a 20 minute walk.

I also haven't been to one in 2 years, so it has that similarity with KFC as well.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
DQ had at least 500 stores in China as of a few years ago, must be a bunch more now. When I was in Wuhan a couple months ago I hit one up and it was tasty, top quality stuff. The location I was at only served dessert, absolutely no burgers or fries or anything else which I think is the norm for the China branches and frankly isn't a loss.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah there's one in Tianmu, just north of the traffic circle where they have that weird fleamarket, one in Gongguan somewhere, and IIRC one in one of the new malls in Xinyi.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The unfortunate thing about the DQs in Taipei is that they only serve ice cream which is like the thing I want from a DQ least. Get me some of those chicken strips and gravy, and those delicious seasoned fries, and the bacon double cheesburger...oh I guess they changed their menu. Man I miss DQ from like 10 years ago.

Speaking of fast food, every time I go to Singapore now I have to hit Wendy's. drat, I miss Wendy's too.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

I know there's a Gongguan one which is unfortunately out of the way for me, and a Tianmu one and Tianmu is out of the way for everybody. I haven't been jonesing to go that bad though since I saw their menu and there were no reese's pieces or butterfingers for blizzard options. :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dairy queen pulled out of Hong Kong during the 90s. If only there's more Krispy kreme in China and Taiwan

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

duckfarts posted:

I know there's a Gongguan one which is unfortunately out of the way for me, and a Tianmu one and Tianmu is out of the way for everybody. I haven't been jonesing to go that bad though since I saw their menu and there were no reese's pieces or butterfingers for blizzard options. :(

There's one in the new Breeze department store over in HsinYi.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PaybackJack posted:

Speaking of fast food, every time I go to Singapore now I have to hit Wendy's.

Shameful.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

They have the best nuggets though.

The best.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

If only there's more Krispy kreme in China and Taiwan
There is no safe dose of Krispy Kreme.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Dairy queen pulled out of Hong Kong during the 90s. If only there's more Krispy kreme in China and Taiwan

Dunkin donuts supremacy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

Dunkin donuts supremacy

Empty quote.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Magna Kaser posted:

donutes supremacy

even though the people there can't understand my broken chinese for poo poo

You know I'm saying almond

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Anyone know of any music stores that sell trad. Chinese instruments instead of just drat ukeleles and cellos?

Because I've decided that this is the coolest drat thing ever and I want one now.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

quadrophrenic posted:

Anyone know of any music stores that sell trad. Chinese instruments instead of just drat ukeleles and cellos?

Because I've decided that this is the coolest drat thing ever and I want one now.

P sure that is just a mouth harp and you can buy it in many countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew%27s_harp

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

khysanth posted:

P sure that is just a mouth harp and you can buy it in many countries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew%27s_harp

口弦 : Jew's Harp :: xylophone : timpani

I already have a Jew's harp. This thing is way cooler. It's tuned man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yC3IUW_lUY

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Nah if you wanna get hella obscure with your instruments you gotta get an Atayal mouth-harp (lubuw) :colbert:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I guess no-one will pursue Lubuw. :(

Zipline posted:

I'll do some digging around on those mentioned locations, sounds neat. And yeah, I'd love a list of strange Chinese museums, could make for a fun visit.
So I finally got to talk to the friend with the friend who's mad for weird museums, and here's a top-of-the-head fiver:
* Dahu Strawberry Museum, No. 2-4, Baliaowan, Fuxing Village, Dahu Township, Miaoli County
* Beneficial Microbes Museum and Tourism Factory, No. 22, Meizhou 1st Rd., Yilan City
* Guqifeng, No. 66, Lane 306, Gaofeng Rd., Hsinchu City
* ChiHsin Dry Bonito Museum/Chihsingtan Katsuo Museum, No. 148, Qixing St., Dahan Village, Xincheng Township, Hualien County
* Tengfeng Fish Ball Museum, No.117, Zhongzheng Rd., Tamsui District, New Taipei City

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I think I've experienced peak scooter driver the other day. Old man, blazes through one stop light on a ratty 50cc scooter, weaves through the crowd and stops shy of traffic at the next red light, driving with one hand, holding a cig in the other. When he comes to a stop he takes a drag, pulls out a cell phone with his right hand and puts a plug of betel nut in his mouth with his left and starts texting someone. Basic soup bowl helmet, with the straps not connected. A part of me can't help but to be left in awe at the sight of a man who truly doesn't give a poo poo about anything.

Also, did one of you assholes move down here to Chiayi without saying anything? Just saw a guy at FamilyMart that could've been Fat Bastard's body double, and was possibly the most goony looking expat I've seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's not peak scooter until the guy is wearing a construction hard hat instead of a proper helmet and also has a propane tank strapped to the back.