Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yup, assuming you leave out the cost of my ports and train depots (which aren't for mass transit) my city's mass transit system turns a decent profit.

Of course, I've got my own traffic issues. Everyone in Firston seems to want to use that one avenue in Windshore to hit the highway going towards Burkhardt. The lane that feeds into the right hand onramp backs up all the way down for blocks.

Like any good mayor I'm ignoring the problem for now. I'll take care of if when I finally axe the old industrial district and remodel it for residential, commercial, and office. The preliminary idea I've got is to shift the onramps over and add a fourth one, which will hopefully divide the traffic amongst more avenues. Maybe replace those diverging diamons with a different type of interchange. I dunno.

I know, we'll put it to a design study. That should last until after my term. I get to look like I'm tackling the problem for my constituants, but I don't really have to deal with the consequences! :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stoat posted:

Starting a new city when in get home tonight. Anyone have any cool map suggestions? Last time I looked was about a week ago.

You should use my Cartagena or Algiers map from the last couple of pages! Cartagena is kind of plain but the waterways make it challenging to begin. Algiers is a rocky coastline.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

I'm beginning to suspect that this game is actually a conspiracy to produce a poo poo ton of mid level bureaucrats with hard-ons for eminent domain.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Elman posted:

Alright, I'll bite:

I think the only way to fix it is wrecking a large area of the city and building a massive highway through it. I don't want to do it, but I don't suppose there's any other choice? What would be the best way to lay it down?

The problem is the four way intersections and your roundabouts as far as I can tell from this picture. The six lane roads don't help, as the thing that slows down your traffic isn't transit or chokepoints, but traffic lights. Two-lane roads have less traffic lights by default and a lower speed limit, allowing traffic to disperse a bit more evenly and with less interruptions before the next cars arrive at a chokepoint.
The default roundabouts in this game don't work very well either as they often end up having traffic lights. Zoom in on the roundabouts and check whether they have traffic lights. If they do, then they do more harm than good as the AI doesn't use the fast lane correctly.
You can avoid this problem by bulldozing the default connections to them and replacing them with an on and off-ramp. Make sure to downgrade them to a two lane beforehand though.

As an example, something like this:

works a lot better than something like this:

You might want to remove some of the roads that cause four way intersections to come up as frequently. Those slow down traffic immensely and in the case of your city there isn't even a benefit to it, as people are unlikely to need to get from one part of your residential area to another at every intersection.

Another thing that might improve your traffic is to have a fast road that only has the purpose of being used for transit. Attaching services to these roads is fine, but you have plenty of space to work with and people should have a convenient way to get in and out of an area that does not get slowed down by deliveries or residential traffic. Using Highway ramps for this can work pretty well, as those don't spawn traffic lights and are faster by default than most other roads while also preventing you from actually attaching buildings to them.

The area isn't necessarily large enough to need its own highway, but a long Highway-ramp heading towards the motorway might help with getting people out of there quicker and more conveniently, and would lighten the load on all your intersections as well. There's enough room in there for a couple ramp-bridges.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 30, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yup, assuming you leave out the cost of my ports and train depots (which aren't for mass transit) my city's mass transit system turns a decent profit.

Of course, I've got my own traffic issues. Everyone in Firston seems to want to use that one avenue in Windshore to hit the highway going towards Burkhardt. The lane that feeds into the right hand onramp backs up all the way down for blocks.

Like any good mayor I'm ignoring the problem for now. I'll take care of if when I finally axe the old industrial district and remodel it for residential, commercial, and office. The preliminary idea I've got is to shift the onramps over and add a fourth one, which will hopefully divide the traffic amongst more avenues. Maybe replace those diverging diamons with a different type of interchange. I dunno.

I know, we'll put it to a design study. That should last until after my term. I get to look like I'm tackling the problem for my constituants, but I don't really have to deal with the consequences! :v:
1 way outs are traffic lightless, so you could dump some express jumpers from near the next 2 intersections to dump into the diamond, which would probably make people more keen to use that busy roads neighboring parallel roads.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Deki posted:

Has anyone found out how to fix the bug with all steam workshop assets not actually being loaded in game?

I'm having issues as well. The official "25 tiles" or whatever installed fine, but nothing else is. Tried unsubbing from all, restarting steam and then subscribing to just one and now nothing works. Also verified the cache.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

beerinator posted:

The only thing you can't do is make two metro tunnels go under or above one another. But the trains will turn on a dime, so 90 degree turns aren't out of the equation.

If two train tunnels need to cross, just build a station right where they need to cross and connect them there and it'll work.

Phoneposting so I can't post a screenshot but you absolutely can run metrolines above-below one another. You just can't adjust height manually so you need a steep hill/lake side. Run one line close and parallel to the edge and the other up/down the cliff with the start and end points a good distance away.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

A bit bummed to see that there's no Civic Center-style arenas in the workshop. I'm in need of a hockey/basketball/concert venue that seem to be super popular up here in the Northeast (TD Garden, XL Center, Times Union Center, MassMutual Center, etc).

How about the Ericsson Globe?

...little odd looking, but it qualifies!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

MikeJF posted:

How about the Ericsson Globe?

...little odd looking, but it qualifies!

Definitely cool building but it's out of place in my New England aesthetic. :)

TBH I'm truly impressed with the range of buildings people have put up on Workshop. I'm confident that sometime this need will be filled because I can't be the only one who wants a hockey rink/civic center.

Like, the Egg from Empire State Plaza in Albany, NY would be a radical building to have in this game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm still really curious how CO will do "european" buildings. They haven't added any sort of hooks in the asset making or buildings to control styles. I think that is going to be big in the future. What if you want a european city and don't want it to look like a walmart quality dubai? What if you downloaded a ton of Japanese buildings and don't want the vanilla buildings showing? Or turn of the century newyork buildings? Or just any time you want any sort of say over the style of the building.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess they'd do it with some kind of tagging system. Either with a restricted list of tags that an asset can advertise it qualifies for, or some kind of magical system where you can choose your own tags when starting a new game.

Or maybe they'll do it based on the map's biome type, like tropical maps can only have brightly colored buildings or whatever. That would kind of suck because it would mean you couldn't use a single generic map for all building types.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I feel the current building set, roadways, and pallet are rather northern european enough. Are they not? I really like Simcity 4's palette since it's so much like California, my home. I'm sure CO will do right by this. Also, right on red if safe would be awesome.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

Help. HELP!!!

:negative:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xzzy posted:

I would guess they'd do it with some kind of tagging system. Either with a restricted list of tags that an asset can advertise it qualifies for, or some kind of magical system where you can choose your own tags when starting a new game.

Or maybe they'll do it based on the map's biome type, like tropical maps can only have brightly colored buildings or whatever. That would kind of suck because it would mean you couldn't use a single generic map for all building types.

I worry about this because people can't even describe their workshop items properly let alone agree on some standard tagging system. One dude will tag his buildings "Mid Century American" while another will tag his "1950s" and another person will tag his "darksonic420's buildings". I wish CO had thought of building styles ahead of time and actually come up with a solid list of like 20 tags or so and if that's not enough add in specific new tags that the community needs. And have built this into the district system already, even with the limited styles there already. Now if they come up with something there's going to be thousands of buildings without tags.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 30, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is anyone making good use of the cargo train station and could post a few screenshots of their station setups and rail interchanges?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

WMain00 posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

Help. HELP!!!

Try having more connections from the highway down to that area to spread out the traffic. At least two more.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Before:

After:

:v:

The dedication this city has to demolishing historic buildings for the sake of :siren: PARKING LOTS :siren: is staggering. Then again, land here is so cheap that it's more cost-effective to buy up then bulldoze whole blocks than it is to build parking garages.

I'm glad C:S has no real parking mechanics or else my downtowns would be asphalt hellscapes. Also it helps that cims actually utilize public transit and pedestrian paths to reduce car usage.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Does anyone know how the game calculates the stats in the Transport info screen? It's saying that there's 615 citizens per week using trains but at the same time I have a single train station saying 772 passengers serviced last week. The population is around 45 000 and I have a train line connecting four decent size suburbs to the center of my city. When clicking on all the stations the combined passengers is something like 1700 cims / week but the number on the Transport screen is never more than 600. I think it has something to do with how it takes probably a day in game time to get from one station to another on the line that messes it up because the number for Bus users is a lot higher (more than 4000 per week).

It's not a big deal but kinda confusing and annoying that at glance your trains seem much less used than they might be in reality. I feel like I'm missing on the main reward of the game: higher numbers for good design.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Havana Affair posted:

Does anyone know how the game calculates the stats in the Transport info screen? It's saying that there's 615 citizens per week using trains but at the same time I have a single train station saying 772 passengers serviced last week. The population is around 45 000 and I have a train line connecting four decent size suburbs to the center of my city. When clicking on all the stations the combined passengers is something like 1700 cims / week but the number on the Transport screen is never more than 600. I think it has something to do with how it takes probably a day in game time to get from one station to another on the line that messes it up because the number for Bus users is a lot higher (more than 4000 per week).

It's not a big deal but kinda confusing and annoying that at glance your trains seem much less used than they might be in reality. I feel like I'm missing on the main reward of the game: higher numbers for good design.

Your stations have higher numbers in total than your stat screen because the stations are reporting departures and arrivals as cims serviced, while the screen is just showing trips. Your stations should be showing roughly twice the numbers of your stat screen.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

WMain00 posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

Help. HELP!!!

I see your problem. The building in the lower-right corner has called in a report of an overflowing bin, and the local bin station has dispatched twenty-one emergency bin lorries to tend to the scene of the rubbish.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KKKlean Energy posted:

I see your problem. The building in the lower-right corner has called in a report of an overflowing bin, and the local bin station has dispatched twenty-one emergency bin lorries to tend to the scene of the rubbish.

Oh my God this is the most British thing I have ever read.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh my God this is the most British thing I have ever read.
And consequently the best post in days.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I've been obsessing over adding pedestrian walkways between areas that I don't want cars to go through, like the ends of neighborhoods and stuff. It's actually working out pretty well. I like seeing people walk to work now instead of drive :)

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

WMain00 posted:

Help. HELP!!!

I think they aggressively cut each other off to avoid being on the lane of the off-ramp. Try shifting that off-ramp further down the motorway so that the traffic can settle in a bit first and/or try to attach it to the right handed side of the motorway so that your cims don't have to cut other drivers in transit off if they want to go from bin-lorry rubbish town in the lower half towards train destination town in the upper right of that picture.
Nice football field though, does that actually have citizens running around or do they just hang out like they would in a park?

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 30, 2015

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

crabrock posted:

I've been obsessing over adding pedestrian walkways between areas that I don't want cars to go through, like the ends of neighborhoods and stuff. It's actually working out pretty well. I like seeing people walk to work now instead of drive :)

Can you adjust this one? Looks ugly and enough of a detour that I think I'd rather take my chances jaywalking that 5 lane...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I need some help with this:

The black box is where I started the next neighborhood, the arrow indicates the curve of the highway.

I think the best option is to bulldoze a lot of this and spread it out more, but I kind of want to preserve this mess somewhat as an "old town" idea.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Manslaughter posted:

Can you adjust this one? Looks ugly and enough of a detour that I think I'd rather take my chances jaywalking that 5 lane...

It's really hard to get a small basic overpass to fit - some stairs would mean you could do a quick overpass taking up just the two spots on either side, god help you if you try doing this on a road that isn't perfectly flat. I have seen sub stations go sideways and paths sink into the hell dimensions trying to do a quick overpass on uneven terrain.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You're funneling your whole town through a single diamond interchange. And before that, you're funneling the entire town into a single intersection. Give Flatland commercial more access points. Build two more highway access points on either end of town. Put in higher-speed aerterial roads (the 4-lane or 6-lanes) that feed to them to encourage the Cims to use them over the local roads. Also, consider using a diffrent highway interchange. Diamonds are nice (IRL) because they're cheap and don't use much space, but they're not the greatest capacitywise.

And screw your old town character, make way for progress. :killdozer:

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

Manslaughter posted:

People literally do this on major highways in Chile. Standing at the base of a pedestrian over pass just like that waiting for a gap to run across 3 lanes of traffic, hop the barrier, then run across three more.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Will I be able to run this game with these specs?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You're funneling your whole town through a single diamond interchange. And before that, you're funneling the entire town into a single intersection. Give Flatland commercial more access points. Build two more highway access points on either end of town. Put in higher-speed aerterial roads (the 4-lane or 6-lanes) that feed to them to encourage the Cims to use them over the local roads. Also, consider using a diffrent highway interchange. Diamonds are nice (IRL) because they're cheap and don't use much space, but they're not the greatest capacitywise.

And screw your old town character, make way for progress. :killdozer:
Thanks, I figured something amongst those lines.
This part of the city was a mess, but I figured I could get away with it :v: At least the rest of the city has a good flow of traffic for now. Time to killdoze. :black101:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Getting the water simulation to work right on this map is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in this game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Getting the water simulation to work right on this map is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in this game.
Workshop link! Nooooow! :byodood:

Please. That looks really cool.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poil posted:

Workshop link! Nooooow! :byodood:

Please. That looks really cool.

No link, I'm still trying to stop seasonal flooding.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Any tips or tricks you picked up regarding getting water to flow properly?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gman14msu posted:

Any tips or tricks you picked up regarding getting water to flow properly?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412292157

Use this mod with the map editor, it helps reduce the time between failed attempts. Other than that, nope. Getting water to flow right in this game is a loving nightmare.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It gets worse the more water you have. Doing island maps with flowing rivers was bad. I tried doing deltas but uuugh. You pretty much hit reset then go for a walk or something. In the end I said gently caress it to 'realistic' heights and just overengineered every shoreline.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

They should add a point that pulls water towards it, like the one that spawns the water.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Afaik setting a low water source in an existing body of water acts as a drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Will water pollution ever go away on its own if there's no particular current in an area?

I started on the beach map, and there's really nowhere to drain sewage other than the big lake area, which doesn't have much water flow. I eventually bought the neighboring squares and moved my sewer drainage, but after a couple of in-game years it still looks as polluted as ever. I want my beautiful beachfront property!

(Actually, does any of that in any way affect land value? Trees, waterfront, elevation, etc?)