Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There is also this extremely expensive and high tech solution missing from every goddamn sim game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Vahakyla posted:

There is also this extremely expensive and high tech solution missing from every goddamn sim game:

finally, some sim gear worth investing in...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If you mount rockets on your wingmans' aircraft and order them to attack airborne targets they will immediately volley off all their rockets at nothing, presumably to jettison them prior to air combat. They don't notice or care if you're flying ahead of them when they do this.

Poorly cut video of PE-2 seal clubbing and a broken 109.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_u1wGp-q90

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Don't most aircraft have a way to jettison external stores without actually firing them?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

Don't most aircraft have a way to jettison external stores without actually firing them?

I know the button is bindable in 1946 and I am fairly certain it is in BoS. Bombs dropped like this also won't arm so they can be "safely" dropped without wrecking your business.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

JerikTelorian posted:

I know the button is bindable in 1946 and I am fairly certain it is in BoS. Bombs dropped like this also won't arm so they can be "safely" dropped without wrecking your business.

That's the jettison stores button. it took a decade for us to get in 1946 so expect jettison stores in BOS some around 2024.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EvilJoven posted:

That's the jettison stores button. it took a decade for us to get in 1946 so expect jettison stores in BOS some around 2024.

And only because a group of dedicated modders decided to add it in.

vvv You say that like it's a bad thing. Now I want them to give us practice bombs.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 30, 2015

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

All a button like that would do is get players to try and kill trucks with non-explosive bombs.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That reminds me: Next time we're screwing around, we should try mid-air bombing of another plane. In 1946 this made the bomb glue to the other plane until the fuse went off, which was hilarious.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

That reminds me: Next time we're screwing around, we should try mid-air bombing of another plane. In 1946 this made the bomb glue to the other plane until the fuse went off, which was hilarious.

Because goons are so good at formation flying.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Landing a plane on a plane would be an excellent test of the physics/net code.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Sauer posted:

BoS won't be a real IL-2 game until we can do TB-3 Parasite jousting

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ralith posted:

I managed to pull it off once in Rise of Flight during goon multiplayer antics, the 20lb bomb simply exploded against the wing (no delay fuse) and blasted it (and my own plane, given I was scant meters above)) apart. So it should be doable in BoS.

Sauer posted:

Pretty sure I've seen planes do it in RoF, assuming you mean just touching their wheels to the other plane's wing for a brief period.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Drop a bomb next to your target plane and shoot it with the flare gun or revolver to cause it to explode and kill them with splash damage.

Btw, one of the best parts of Rise of Flight campaign is flying an African American pilot in a French squad and shooting German AI with the 1911.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure I've seen planes do it in RoF, assuming you mean just touching their wheels to the other plane's wing for a brief period.
Use the heaviest bomber and the lightest fighter, and see if we can get the fighter sitting on top of the bomber with its engine shut down.

JerikTelorian posted:

Because goons are so good at formation flying.
But that's half the fun!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

JerikTelorian posted:

BoS won't be a real IL-2 game until we can do TB-3 Parasite jousting
The minute this becomes possible again, I'm jumping on the BoS train and every other game is going out the window.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Battle of Moscow pre-orders for the premium edition open at $80. Full set of aircraft: I-16 Type 24, Bf-109 E-7, MiG-3, Bf-109 F-2, IL-2 model 1941, Bf-110 E-2, Pe-2 Series 35, Ju-88 A-4, P-40 E-1, MC.202 Series VIII, the last two of which do not come with the standard edition. As before, the premium edition also lets you skip unlocks.

Notable new information:

777 Studios posted:

Compatibility of BOS and BOM: 100% compatibility via a single user account with one GUI and one game client. This means that when you purchase BOS and BOM, content from both titles can be used on all maps in certain gameplay modes (QMB, Custom Missions, and Multiplayer). Content in the Campaigns will remain specific to each title.

Steam users: Even if you have BOS activated on Steam now, you can pre-order BOM on our site today using your user account (registered email on our site) in which any BOS edition was previously activated. You can activate the key on our site and get access to BOM content during Early Access. :siren: Then when BOM is released on Steam you will have an opportunity to deactivate the key on our site and get a Steam key from us and activate it on the Steam page to add BOM in your Steam game-library:siren: [emphasis added]. Then activate the key on our site and get access to the game without losing all your early game experience on your user account.

They don't explicitly state that this works if you have non-steam BoS, but given that they're very clear about it being "one game client" with access to all content, I can't imagine it not working.

Looks like 777 is sticking to their word about releasing content in old IL2 style expansion packs rather than RoF style microtransactions :toot:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

Battle of Moscow pre-orders for the premium edition open at $80. Full set of aircraft: I-16 Type 24, Bf-109 E-7, MiG-3, Bf-109 F-2, IL-2 model 1941, Bf-110 E-2, Pe-2 Series 35, Ju-88 A-4, P-40 E-1, MC.202 Series VIII, the last two of which do not come with the standard edition. As before, the premium edition also lets you skip unlocks.

Notable new information:

They don't explicitly state that this works if you have non-steam BoS, but given that they're very clear about it being "one game client" with access to all content, I can't imagine it not working.

Looks like 777 is sticking to their word about releasing content in old IL2 style expansion packs rather than RoF style microtransactions :toot:

The general lack of fun content bothers me in this game, though. Our group never really latched on to BoS like we did 1946 because there was no way to make easy, interesting fun.

The premium unlock thing also bothers the hell out of me since its clear they're turning that into a shameless buyout mechanic, and I don't feel like paying $30 more for every expack just so I don't have to grind to get to the fun part.

Did anyone ever make an unlocker tool or is that not possible due to the server interaction?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Well, someone needs to step up and take responsibility for either finding missions or making them.

Their servers track your unlock state. It might be possible to work around it in custom multiplayer missions, if it is anywhere, but that's just a guess.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The mission editor is really powerful but its also pretty obtuse at times; the UI can be unclear and is badly translated. The documentation for the BoS version doesn't exist so you're stuck with the Rise of Flight manual and its sparse and badly translated. The editor "community" is also small and is made up of the usual amalgamation of languages and half broken english common with flight sims where no one is entirely sure what anyone is saying and just assumes you said something offensive to them. The visual scripting system it uses is novel and 1C doesn't seem to break the scripting system in some horrible way every patch like Eagle Dynamics does so it has that going for it.

Really its the lack of any good documentation for the editor. 1C released the tool and nothing more.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I hope they release more "game" to this game in the very near future. Right now it feels like DCS World, where the physical act of flying feels great, but there's not really any context to it outside of the History Channel videos. Even War Thunder's tacked-on dynamic campaign has more depth.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It really is too bad Pat Wilson isn't interested in Il-2. His campaign generator for RoF was much better than 777's career mode.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Every mission I've flown in the IL-2 has been a complete success! 100% of all rear gunner killed in action! :(

Its bad enough that the dude needs to sit outside the cockpit in the freezing cold, but they're pretty much just there to detonate HE rounds before they hit the fuel tank he sits in front of. Knowing the Soviet Union I'm going to bet IL-2 gunners weren't volunteers.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
They weren't even used as much. Most squadrons settled into flying without them due to the morale penalty of having to scoop up the gunner.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann posted:

I opened fire when the whole windshield was black with the enemy . . . at minimum range . . . it doesn't matter what your angle is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver.

He's right. Raked that PE-2 nose to tail. It looked undamaged but flew straight into the ground. Everyone on board must have been kibble. Such a pretty murder simulator.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sauer posted:

Every mission I've flown in the IL-2 has been a complete success! 100% of all rear gunner killed in action! :(

Its bad enough that the dude needs to sit outside the cockpit in the freezing cold, but they're pretty much just there to detonate HE rounds before they hit the fuel tank he sits in front of. Knowing the Soviet Union I'm going to bet IL-2 gunners weren't volunteers.

IL-2 Gunners, especially in the early models, had atrocious casualty rates. The pilot is surrounded by armored plating (as well as that armored front cockpit glass), but the gunner does not get any protection until the later models, which move the cockpit's rear armor plate (but not the side armor) behind the gunner.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The il2 as a whole had atrocious survival rates. Early war they lasted on average 7 missions, so it isn't like the pilots were really outliving them.

Afaik they did fly with the tail gunners, only time I read of them not was when they first started the women mechanics in charge of rearming the planes volunteered to go and after a few missions of them coming back as corpses one of the pilots refused to carry any more tail gunners.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wooper posted:

It would have to be, unless you want to use another password to access your password.

We use 'hashing'

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Hav posted:

We use 'hashing'
That wouldn't really help. See my post explaining how this sort of thing is done securely.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Hav posted:

We use 'hashing'

To give some more info on this.

We are interested in not having to type in passwords. If you use a hash function f to hash your password x, you would have to store f(x) (which is essentially your password now, as hashing is one-way only) locally in ~*plain binary*~.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Not sure what your point is, exactly, but in case it wasn't clear: naively-applied hash functions can be easily brute-forced, even properly salted ones are vulnerable to dictionary attacks, and a completely random server-generated nonce is proof against all of the above.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
My point is that storing a password using 'hashing' is completely pointless because you are just switching out one plain text for another.

If the hash is right there you don't even have to break it to use it.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 8, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I bought a retail copy of IL-2:BOS and Rise of Flight today as a bundled discount package. The product key in the ROF package consistently returns errors so I can't activate it and get some planes and IL2:BOS didn't have a product key at all! :downs:

So tomorrow the jackass at EB is going to get his greasy, unwashed scalp removed.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Sauer posted:

He's right. Raked that PE-2 nose to tail. It looked undamaged but flew straight into the ground. Everyone on board must have been kibble. Such a pretty murder simulator.

It's so awesome when you hit stuff and can't even see the reticle in the reflex sight.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hey goons, I've got IL2:BOS working which is an improvement over this time yesterday. I've got a question that you might be able to answer.

As I understand it, there's limited options when it comes to managing the graphics. Things run reasonably smoothly, but there's a distinct lag and blur when I move my head around quickly using track IR. Is there a way to alleviate that somewhat? I'd like to turn off the stupid blur when I move my head around to start with. Is there an option to do that?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

darth cookie posted:

Hey goons, I've got IL2:BOS working which is an improvement over this time yesterday. I've got a question that you might be able to answer.

As I understand it, there's limited options when it comes to managing the graphics. Things run reasonably smoothly, but there's a distinct lag and blur when I move my head around quickly using track IR. Is there a way to alleviate that somewhat? I'd like to turn off the stupid blur when I move my head around to start with. Is there an option to do that?

Pulled from a FAQ, so no idea if it's still right:

Go to Settings -> Camera and remove the tick from Cinematic feature

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/2074-game-setup-and-settings-faq/#faq17

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That seems to have helped a bit though its still a little choppy. I installed Rise of Flight as a test as is recommended on the IL2 site and it works fine. :what:

Well I'll just have to live with it since I can't afford a new video card right now.

vvv edit: It isn't on, but thanks.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 13, 2015

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
If it's enabled, try turning off v-sync. Sometimes it does weird things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
TrackIR doesn't like Vsync being off.