Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sadly, it'd actually make more sense for the military to test dangerous experimental medical procedures on a black man.

This actually happened in Marvel comics.

http://marvel.com/universe/Bradley,_Isaiah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Johnny Storm is black because Michael B. Jordan is a really good actor.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

As demonstrated when he stole the show in Chronicle, which, hey, was directed by the same guy as Fantastic 4.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
If it was 1976, THIS would be your black Captain America.

Best blaxploitation name ever! (With Thalmus Rasulala a close second)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

As demonstrated by his turn as Wallace in season 1 of The Wire. I'm just glad that he's getting recognition and work.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What are the alternatives, if you wish to portray your character as essentially Jesus?

Any from the Crucifixion would be nice, like Pieter Lastmann's. Especially if you got a trio of people squatting and kneeling while casting lots for his clothes.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Starting with season three, they were done by Annie Leibovitz. And they were fantastic.

Some examples: (spoilers for a show that ended almost ten years ago, obviously)

I love this because it's both intimate and disconnected at the same time. No one is really making eye contact with each other.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alternative pants posted:

Not as an officer in a top secret testing program. Especially not since official desegregation of the US military didn't occur until 1948.

They already did Black Revisionist Captain America, at least ten years ago now.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Have some more minimalist bullshit

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ior0A

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alternative pants posted:

Not as an officer in a top secret testing program. Especially not since official desegregation of the US military didn't occur until 1948.

Potentially dangerous experiments of questionable ethics being done on black people instead of white people, America would never do that, especially in the first half of the 20th century.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Why not just make Sue black too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because when they cast it a white actress won, I guess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Since no one is clicking on the link, they already did black Captain America in the comics. In fact there were several of them in the program. It was a thing where they tested early versions of the super soldier serum on a platoon of black troops, in a very tuskegee experiment kind of way. All but one of them ended up as giant, misshaped freaks, and the one who didn't basically got early onset Alzheimer's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In regards to Sue and Johnny Storm, I don't know if their mother ever came up in the comics, and thier father only appeared briefly before dying, so while Johnny is obviously white in the comics, him being adopted, them having 2 different mother's or just an unusual, but not unheard of differentation in skin tone with mixed race parents doesn't fundamentally change their relationship with their parents.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Criminal Minded posted:

This isn't bad, you need the title of the film in order to tell what it is but at least it's a bit more creative than your usual minimalist crap.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

I bet that Nan Yu being placed to the left of Christ is a result of The Da Vinci Code

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Byzantine posted:

Because she's the sex appeal!

That's what makes me kinda cynical about the whole thing.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Criminal Minded posted:

These are actually fun. there's creativity in playing with texture/form like that. while they're trying to be clever, they're not being super obscure...it's more driven by ideas that can be represented well by the medium.

And they're really more like puzzles than posters.

And the Benjamin Button one is better than the movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MikeJF posted:

Because she's the sex appeal!

That's what makes me kinda cynical about the whole thing.

Family transcending who you're related to is already a theme in the comic, so I can see Trank playing with that.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I always wondered how people with already famous names get along in Hollywood and if feel pressured to change them. Michael B Jordan and Steve McQueen have done just fine, probably a good way to get your scripts read (assuming your namesake isn't dead).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cacator posted:

This isn't bad, you need the title of the film in order to tell what it is but at least it's a bit more creative than your usual minimalist crap.

And it's not meant to represent a theatrical poster, it's just art inspired by the films.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Byzantine posted:

The cynic in me believes it's for the same reason they didn't cast Human Torch white and Reed Richards black. Reed and Sue are either going to end up dating in the movie or engaged. As progressive as the film studio wants to come across it seems like they are reluctant to address something of an interracial relationship so they want to have their cake (Human Torch cast to a black actor) and eat it to (the character cast as HT sister is a white actress who ends up married to the white main character).
I could be completely wrong though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you cast too many black actors it becomes an "urban" film and box office plummets. Don't blame the filmmakers, blame ourselves.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sir Kodiak posted:

As demonstrated when he stole the show in Chronicle, which, hey, was directed by the same guy as Fantastic 4.

Oh man if this is Chronicle 2 I take back what I said and I hope it's really good

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iris West and Jimmy Olsen are both being played by black actors, so at least DC doesn't seem too afraid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Iris West and Jimmy Olsen are both being played by black actors, so at least DC doesn't seem too afraid.

Both tv shows though I don't know why that matters. I think both are good choices. If we went for movies Perry White in Man of Steel was played by Lawrence Fishburne.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Don't you mean Perry White? He was played by Laurence Fishburne in Man of Steel. Jimmy Olsen didn't appear in that film and I don't think anyone's even been cast in the role as far as I know.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was honestly surprised when New Girl decided to roll with two funny black guys. I almost felt proud of them. Okay I did.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Someone should make a comic book movie thread

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

Both tv shows though I don't know why that matters. I think both are good choices. If we went for movies Perry White in Man of Steel was played by Lawrence Fishburne.

They're also both love interests to a white character.

Vagabundo posted:

Don't you mean Perry White? He was played by Laurence Fishburne in Man of Steel. Jimmy Olsen didn't appear in that film and I don't think anyone's even been cast in the role as far as I know.

The Supergirl TV show, not the movie.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vagabundo posted:

Wasn't there a Penny Olsen in Man of Steel, but I think she suppose to be his sister.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rirse posted:

Wasn't there a Penny Olsen in Man of Steel, but I think she suppose to be his sister.

Jenny, and they never said her last name or if she had any relation to Jimmy or was a gender swap.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I never watched Smallville because it looks loving dumb, but I enjoy reading about it. My favorite part is the part where Daily Planet photographer Jimmy Olsen is shockingly killed, only for it to be revealed that his name is actually not Jimmy and his younger brother (who later becomes a Daily Planet photographer) is the Jimmy Olsen from the comics.

Seriously. If your name is actually Henry James Olsen why would you go by Jimmy when your younger brother is named James Bartholomew Olsen? Do you expect your younger brother to just go by Bart now??

Also younger Jimmy Olsen, don't you think it's loving creepy that you've essentially replaced your brother? It's like the Landfill gag in Beerfest except played straight. What the gently caress is wrong with the Olsen family?!?

Also Doomsday was like a human janitor or some poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

Jenny, and they never said her last name or if she had any relation to Jimmy or was a gender swap.

Could have been Jimmy undercover.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The staff at the Planet went with it because it was one of the less weird things Jimmy had done. Last week he came into work as a fat alien, the week before that he had a gorilla wife and was Chinese.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Less superhero chat, more superhero posters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Blankman is a drat classic.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Mad Max

Avengers IMAX

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 31, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So are they doing a superhero oriented V/H/S film?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nice to see that Bane's still getting work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

rawillkill posted:

Avengers IMAX

Serious Punisher vibes coming off this one.