Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I guess I watched too much Captain Planet as a kid, then. Although...

Pssst...Ben Aaronovitch, if you're reading this thread? River diety is mysteriously poisoned/pollulted to death! Think about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Scorchy posted:

Yeah they talk about a couple of rivers dying back in the industrial revolution from being rerouted into sewers.

It's more that they were replaced by the new rivers in Mama Thames family. All the underground/industrialized rivers have dark skin.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I, for one, am wondering about the mythical fallout to come from Beverly essentially invading a faerie plane with a with the equivalent of a nuclear bomb in the form of solid iron locomotive to rescue Peter.

Also, I've caught up on Sandman Slim and Felix Castor. Have already read Alex Verus. What else is there in this sub-genre to read that is worth reading?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Wade Wilson posted:

I, for one, am wondering about the mythical fallout to come from Beverly essentially invading a faerie plane with a with the equivalent of a nuclear bomb in the form of solid iron locomotive to rescue Peter.

Also, I've caught up on Sandman Slim and Felix Castor. Have already read Alex Verus. What else is there in this sub-genre to read that is worth reading?

The Laundry Files.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Daniel Faust books are pretty good.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

"The Rook" by Daniel O'Malley was pretty good, but sadly just one book in the series so far.

There's also the "Iron Druid" series by Kevin Hearne, the "Kate Daniels" series by Ilona Andrews and the "Nightside" series by Simon R. Green. I don't think they're as good as Dresden or Peter Grant, but I don't think they're terrible books either. Maybe give them a try if you run out of other books to read at least.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Apoffys posted:

"The Rook" by Daniel O'Malley was pretty good, but sadly just one book in the series so far.

There's also the "Iron Druid" series by Kevin Hearne, the "Kate Daniels" series by Ilona Andrews and the "Nightside" series by Simon R. Green. I don't think they're as good as Dresden or Peter Grant, but I don't think they're terrible books either. Maybe give them a try if you run out of other books to read at least.

I've read "The Rook" and regret reading the "Iron Druid" books.

Going to give the Laundry books a try.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Apoffys posted:

Kate Daniels is pretty great, although the first five books are a step better than six and seven. They're also kind of funny in that the chick-lit urban fantasy lead with her Adonis-like love interest is Kate's best friend rather than herself.

I've read a few of the Nightside books by Simon Greene and have been thoroughly unimpressed.

The Laundry Files books are great. I just read Equoid, and holy poo poo was it something.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Wade Wilson posted:

October Daye by Seanan McGuire. The series picks up at An Artificial Night, so if you're the type to make a snap judgement you might want to start there.
The Chronicles of Elantra - This is fantasy police procedural. Still, it shares a fair bit of overlap with urban fantasy, as they both draw from the hardboiled/noir fiction genre.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Definitely gonna second the Daniel Faust recommendation. Compared to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, Craig Schafer's series feels like a proper, raw, and gritty detective series. The contrast is quite stark--you're watching two police procedural, but one's on network TV and one's on HBO.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Apoffys posted:

the "Nightside" series by Simon R. Green. I don't think they're as good as Dresden or Peter Grant, but I don't think they're terrible books either.

The Nightside is the best bad series I have ever read, I own every one that has come out & do not regret it. heavy Noir feeling to them but the protagonist's power is so overpowered that he should be able to resolve every case in the first 20 pages but doesn't.

Don't go into them expecting the greatest series but if you have read the sandman slim books & enjoyed them than you might like The Nightside series. One of the biggest complaints is that he reintroduces characters every time they appear in a new book, they are even reintroduced within the same book sometimes. If you end of liking the series you should also check out his other book series Secret Histories, essentially secret agent wizards protect the world from the super natural world & also keep everyone from knowing it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Simon R Green writes one novel per series.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Clinton1011 posted:

The Nightside is the best bad series I have ever read, I own every one that has come out & do not regret it.

Simon R. Green manages to build worlds I really like and then completely gently caress up the story he tells in them.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
Here's a question: How big must Mac's bar be to have 13 ceiling fans?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Khizan posted:

Simon R. Green manages to build worlds I really like and then completely gently caress up the story he tells in them.

This. It's the easiest thing in the world to copy and paste character descriptions...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

navyjack posted:

This. It's the easiest thing in the world to copy and paste character descriptions...

I feel that people don't comprehend just how bad this gets until they've read three or four books in the series.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

navyjack posted:

Your comment makes me think of this:

You can't shake hands with a mountain. You can't trade grips with a thunderstorm. You can't have sex with a blizzard. You can't dance with the ocean. You can't get a piggyback ride from crushing ennui.

BUT IF YOU COULD...

Butcher, bro, I love your story and the world you created but you have to find another way to illustrate heady new experiences that Dresden has. This probably shouldn't bug me as much as it does, but the imagery is constructed exactly the same way at least three times and it's really starting to stick out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Che Delilas posted:

Your comment makes me think of this:

You can't shake hands with a mountain. You can't trade grips with a thunderstorm. You can't have sex with a blizzard. You can't dance with the ocean. You can't get a piggyback ride from crushing ennui.

BUT IF YOU COULD...

Butcher, bro, I love your story and the world you created but you have to find another way to illustrate heady new experiences that Dresden has. This probably shouldn't bug me as much as it does, but the imagery is constructed exactly the same way at least three times and it's really starting to stick out.

This is a problem you run into in long running series (wheel of time has a braid to pull, etc.). Verbal tics that aren't so bad in single novels get really annoying over 12 volumes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

I feel that people don't comprehend just how bad this gets until they've read three or four books in the series.
Honestly, I find it best to treat Green as the guy who wrote Blue Moon Rising and then got killed and replaced by a copy/pasting doppelganger.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Vateke posted:

I'm blanking in the name sine it's been about 20 years since I've been there, but there is a famous underground pizza place in Chicago that Mac's place seems to be based on. When I say underground I mean literally, the places cachet is that it is in a building with a poor foundation so it is sinking. I remember it has a lot of brickwork arches in it and you were allowed to write on the bricks and table.

Anyways, that big.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Wade Wilson posted:

Patricia Briggs. More romance, but better take on Fae.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Vateke posted:

Big enough to have a fight where Dresden cutting loose doesn't knock the Outsider into the street out the other end of the building.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

anilEhilated posted:

Honestly, I find it best to treat Green as the guy who wrote Blue Moon Rising and then got killed and replaced by a copy/pasting doppelganger.

This. And the first sequel wasn't TOO bad....but I made the mistake of reading the last one.

Goddamn stupidest piece of literature I've ever read. I think I lost brain cells finishing it.

Edit: although my buddy swears up and down that the deathstalker series is leaps and bounds better on audiobook.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I tried to read one of those and couldn't even finish it. I mean, say what you will for Green, most of his books have either entertaining stupidity or a sufficient pace for you not to think about it. The one Deathstalker book I tried was just bloated; then again, I suppose audiobooks have to go through another layer of editing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since various things have been keeping me busy I've not had much time to sit down and read, but while I was waiting at the station then on the train home this evening I finally got Moon Over Soho finished. Another great read on the whole; it had an exciting climax, a bitter denouement, and a fun little epilogue. As an amateur musician, I appreciated all the jazz-themed asides.

Some thoughts I have immediately after finishing it (no doubt everyone has read it, but I'll put it in spoilers anyway):

I thought Simone was a bit obvious, but I imagine she was unconsciously affecting Peter's mind, and other parts of his anatomy that influenced his reasoning.

And:

Has anyone ever seen or done any fanart of what's left of Lesley's face might look like? I'm having trouble picturing it, though I'm not sure why I want to. Morbid curiosity, I suppose.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is a problem you run into in long running series (wheel of time has a braid to pull, etc.). Verbal tics that aren't so bad in single novels get really annoying over 12 volumes.

Yeah, I thought about that. I mean, you get things like Nynaeve smoothing her skirts or any of the women in that series sniffing to express disdain, etc. and it becomes a running gag among readers. But those things don't bother me (other than just being another symptom of so many characters in that series being hateful and annoying in and of themselves), not the way this bothers me. I think it's because it's so specifically evocative. It's exactly the same image, presented in exactly the same way, with the same cadence and idea progression, again and again.

It's a good image, but man, Butcher seems to have fallen in love with it. He really has to come up with another way to illustrate what Dresden feels when he closely interacts with a godlike being, because at the rate this series is going it's going to keep happening.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Che Delilas posted:

It's a good image, but man, Butcher seems to have fallen in love with it. He really has to come up with another way to illustrate what Dresden feels when he closely interacts with a godlike being, because at the rate this series is going it's going to keep happening.

I don't agree. I think that the brain is very fond of familiar patterns, and having it throw up 'it was like x with X' as a patterned response to the vastness of divinity speaks quite clearly. It evokes both that vastness and the humanity inherent in the realization that there are larger things which our brain, rightly or wrongly, shies away from. It might be interesting to see butcher acknowledge that somewhere, although I don't know that harry is actually the right character to do so. It's more a molly, murphy, or malone observing harry comment.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

cbservo posted:

This. And the first sequel wasn't TOO bad....but I made the mistake of reading the last one.

Goddamn stupidest piece of literature I've ever read. I think I lost brain cells finishing it.

Edit: although my buddy swears up and down that the deathstalker series is leaps and bounds better on audiobook.

I like Drinking Midnight Wine, but it's the only one of his I bothered to keep. I read the first six or so of the Nightside series after finding them for cheap at a book swap at a camp library in Kuwait when I was deployed there, and only finished those due to a high schlock tolerance and there being little else in the way of good light reading.

I've never read Deathstalker or any of that series and I don't really intend to.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I like Drinking Midnight Wine, but it's the only one of his I bothered to keep. I read the first six or so of the Nightside series after finding them for cheap at a book swap at a camp library in Kuwait when I was deployed there, and only finished those due to a high schlock tolerance and there being little else in the way of good light reading.

I've never read Deathstalker or any of that series and I don't really intend to.

Deathstalker is his strongest, IMHO.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

LowellDND posted:

Deus Ex Machina the series is his strongest, IMHO.

Ftfy

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Well that could be any of his books :colbert:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes a trashy, fan fictiony high that knows actual grammar is what you want. Sometimes reading about the Avalon rave party where King Arthur is Djing being crashed by mecha-lich hitler is pretty sweet. Even if it flies in the face of all good, non-repetitive taste.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Grognan posted:

Sometimes a trashy, fan fictiony high that knows actual grammar is what you want. Sometimes reading about the Avalon rave party where King Arthur is Djing being crashed by mecha-lich hitler is pretty sweet. Even if it flies in the face of all good, non-repetitive taste.

Please tell me this is a real story? I want to read it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It took me too long to figure out that was "DJ-ing" and not "Djinn-ing".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

cbservo posted:

i think the Deathstalker Audio's are Graphic Audio productions. So rather than straight unabridged readings of the text they're done as Radio Plays with sound effects and multiple actors. I can imagine the Deathstalker books could be quite entertaining in that format.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
It's probably the wrong thread to ask but I'm curious about something. I get why iron is considered poisonous against fairies (nature/industry dichotomy going on). By that logic, shouldn't the undead be weak against salt since it's used not only as a perservative but also as a sacrament/purifying agent?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It is, in a lot of fantasy. It's like the No.1 choice for making summoning circles.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
It's also THE cure for Zombies isn't it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No, that's shotguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Masonity posted:

It's also THE cure for Zombies isn't it?

Mmm, salt cured zombie. I understand it's comparable to hamon serrano in flavor.