Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kilonum posted:

Honestly I have never had trouble with the PMDG DRM.

Neither have I, and I haven't heard any of those horror stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

holocaust bloopers posted:

Level D 767 is solid.

It's very old though, isn't it? I guess it would be good for framerates though, and I've heard of course that the simulation of aircraft systems in that one is really excellent. What makes it stand out for you? Would you say it's still worth $55?

What I'm hoping to do is get a nice long-range airliner that looks up to par with newer add-ons and flies well. I love detailed planes but they don't have to be 100% spot-on and simulate stuff no one actually uses, I'm way too poo poo and bad at flying for any of that stuff to matter much. That's why the Aerosoft Airbus hits a sweet spot for me, I love the thing and it still has tons for me to discover, even if it's not quite PMDG level.

I've heard the Captain Sim stuff has great external models and decent flight characteristics, and YouTube vids make the 767 at least seem pretty decent. Anyone have any experience with the 767/777 from them?

Kilonum posted:

Honestly I have never had trouble with the PMDG DRM.

I'm sure it's not causing much in the way of computer problems, etc., but that's not the issue for me as such. I'm trying to devote more of my money to DRM-free games when possible, so I'm not exactly attracted to paying $90 for DRM-laden add-ons, even if it doesn't cause actual computer problems. I don't mind entering a serial number on installation or whatever, like with the 747, but nowadays PMDG goes above and beyond IMO. If I have any other reasonable options, I'd much prefer giving them my money, rather than going with PMDG and supporting this kind of behaviour, simple as that.

Ideally what I'm hoping for is that if I can give someone else some less-than-PMDG money for a less-good-than-PMDG-but-still-quite-good large airliner :)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

thorsilver posted:

It's very old though, isn't it? I guess it would be good for framerates though, and I've heard of course that the simulation of aircraft systems in that one is really excellent. What makes it stand out for you? Would you say it's still worth $55?

What I'm hoping to do is get a nice long-range airliner that looks up to par with newer add-ons and flies well. I love detailed planes but they don't have to be 100% spot-on and simulate stuff no one actually uses, I'm way too poo poo and bad at flying for any of that stuff to matter much. That's why the Aerosoft Airbus hits a sweet spot for me, I love the thing and it still has tons for me to discover, even if it's not quite PMDG level.

Solid mod. Everything works, I've had no issues with it, fun jet to fly, etc. Visually it won't compare to PMDG although nothing really does. For 55 bucks yea, I think so.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

holocaust bloopers posted:

Solid mod. Everything works, I've had no issues with it, fun jet to fly, etc. Visually it won't compare to PMDG although nothing really does. For 55 bucks yea, I think so.

After a bit more poking around, it seems like the Flight1 DRM system can really gently caress things up for FSX:SE people (like me):

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458175-fsx-steam-and-level-d-installation/

Think I have to give this one a miss as well :(

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 24, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

thorsilver posted:

After a bit more poking around, it seems like the Flight1 DRM system can really gently caress things up for FSX:SE people (like me):

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458175-fsx-steam-and-level-d-installation/

Think I have to give this one a miss as well :(

I've yet to click an Avsim link and have it take me to anything other than a loving error page. gently caress that website, and its servers-from-1994.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

thorsilver posted:

I've heard the Captain Sim stuff has great external models and decent flight characteristics, and YouTube vids make the 767 at least seem pretty decent. Anyone have any experience with the 767/777 from them?

I have the CS 767 and it is pretty good looking and has a decent flight model. It is poorly optimized, especially compared to PMDG's MD-11 (which is from the same time).

Also, the DRM on the 777 is just "confirming your serial number with our master list". Which is the same as Captain Sim's DRM.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Kilonum posted:

Also, the DRM on the 777 is just "confirming your serial number with our master list". Which is the same as Captain Sim's DRM.

The question is what it does if it thinks it's pirated, the MD-11 deletes your ${FSX_ROOT}/texture folder

I don't know what the 777's DRM does, but it worries me a little.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
DRM that goes 'I think you're a pirate so I'm wrecking your poo poo' is DRM that would never touch anything I run.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SybilVimes posted:

The question is what it does if it thinks it's pirated, the MD-11 deletes your ${FSX_ROOT}/texture folder

I don't know what the 777's DRM does, but it worries me a little.

Yeah, that's my worry. The 777 doesn't just check your serial number, it keeps a FlexNet Licensing Service running in the background on your machine. That way it can disable your 777 if you make a significant hardware or software change, and it can also allow PMDG to disable your 777 remotely.

Of course on the PMDG forum the official line is that this is 'industry standard' somehow, so they don't see it as intrusive, but I sure as hell do.

I didn't know that about the MD-11, by the way! Thanks for that. I was considering buying it at some point, but I certainly will avoid it now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I once left off a digit and input the incorrect serial so many times that it locked me out. Pmdg reset me in less than 24 hours. Was no big deal.

If you don't want to participate I get it but they are the gold standard and nothing else is close.

Just fly GA anyways.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Check out this sick sim setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=984tPA7k3yg&t=14s

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Imagine these with little working machine guns

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Been trying to download that ridiculous IL2 1946 mod someone posted that goes from WW1 through jets.

The base mod (before downloading any eras) is 19.6 GB compressed :stare:

Fortunately there's a torrent because otherwise your only option is downloading 40 or so separate packages from mediafire...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

ethanol posted:

Imagine these with little working machine guns

haha one time I saw a video of some kid like dialing in the tension or some poo poo in his toy airsoft gun so that it would shoot around his parents windchimes and hit a piece of paper. they need that dude to set the gun convergence.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Been trying to download that ridiculous IL2 1946 mod someone posted that goes from WW1 through jets.

The base mod (before downloading any eras) is 19.6 GB compressed :stare:

Fortunately there's a torrent because otherwise your only option is downloading 40 or so separate packages from mediafire...

woah woah woah

link that poo poo again

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kilonum posted:

woah woah woah

link that poo poo again

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,45222.0.html

Curious how they've managed to implement radar and Semi Active missiles like they claim. Didn't think that was possible in the IL2 engine.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Need Tuskegee Airmen hands.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up the Carenado Piper 28 Arrow in the Steam sale today. Does anyone else have it? It seems pretty lovely for a payware plane to be honest, the textures on a lot of things are mediocre at best and none of the dials are aligned with their clickspots. I could swear that I've downloaded better quality planes for free.

Is this just kind of how Carenado is or did I just manage to buy their worst product?

vvv - welp, at least it was cheap :smith:

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 26, 2015

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

SoapyTarantula posted:

Picked up the Carenado Piper 28 Arrow in the Steam sale today. Does anyone else have it? It seems pretty lovely for a payware plane to be honest, the textures on a lot of things are mediocre at best and none of the dials are aligned with their clickspots. I could swear that I've downloaded better quality planes for free.

Is this just kind of how Carenado is or did I just manage to buy their worst product?

It's like 5 years old, one of their oldest, so pretty much a case of 'buying their worst product'.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SoapyTarantula posted:

vvv - welp, at least it was cheap :smith:

I just got it for X-Plane last week, since it seems all the clubs in Stockholm fly PA28-181's. :-/ Oh gently caress those frequency knobs in the ear...

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I grabbed FSX steam with the sale today finally. I have a really crappy internet download speed. If I copy my old FSX folder into steamapps/common/fsx think it will help speed up the d/l or are there not many shared files anymore?

edit:
Tried it out. Seems half the content was verified and about 8.5Gb is downloading. Saved me a bit of time I guess, only 2 days to download now...

actually, it only downloaded 2.5GB then was finished, so I guess most of the original FSX stuff stayed the same.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 27, 2015

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014
Is the steam version of fsx stable running on current versions of Windows?
I'm on the cusp of buying a civil flight sim, really can't decide between fsx, xplane and p3d. I'm not all that interested in passenger jets, looking for quality single and multi engine GA aircraft.
Also I something I can practice navigation as I progress in getting my private pilots license.
Any thoughts or advice?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

FSX steam runs on win7 and even win8. I just tested it a bit on my old'ish win7 laptop and was surprised at how smooth it ran at relatively high settings compared to what I was used to with the old version on my gaming PC. Seems to be getting great updates, too. It also has multiplayer stuff somewhat integrated with Steam now, so that's a plus.

I used it a bunch when working on my PPL and Instrument rating for extra practice, especially on instrument/navigation related stuff. For $5 right now it's definitely worth it imho!

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
So is the Steam version at all optimized? What is the difference even between boxed and steam?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you're just buying it to screw around with, $5 steam FSX is awesome.

If you're going to invest in significant payware and such, P3D all the way.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Ruse posted:

So is the Steam version at all optimized? What is the difference even between boxed and steam?

The main difference is that FSX Steam is being updated to perform better (compiler updates, win8 support, etc), has multiplayer support through Steam, and an actual developer involved to actually address bugs.
Long video, but hits some good points https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpQgUBKDKM

Not sure if anyone here has tried, and I can't find info yet, but I'm having an issue with watching my gf play through Steam. I hear audio, but get an "stand by" static screen for video. Then if she alt-enters to windowed and back to full the video begins playing again. But anytime she goes to a menu it has to be done again.

Just tested broadcasting from my side and don't get the same issue. not sure what's happening on her end.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 28, 2015

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've had similar issues while using Steam Broadcasting. I believe it is a flaw with how it hooks into FSX and the way FSX displays tooltips or the reference sheet windows. If you have cockpit tooltips on then Steam's stream will freak out if you mouse over anything. Though sometimes Steam Broadcasting will just break for me regardless of what I'm doing in FSX so I'm unsure of an exact cause.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Well in the end I abandoned my principles and bought the PMDG 777.

It's a loving good plane guys. So far I've managed to conduct a few long-range flights successfully, thanks to the tutorial document which is actually very well done and got me started without much fuss. I found SimBrief.com pretty good for creating flight plans, though it tends to assign weird flight levels and speeds during cruise that I have to recalibrate on the fly. I guess I'd be better off with PFPX or something? What flight planning solutions are best for the 777 (and the Aerosoft Airbus too)?

Also is the 300ER expansion worth the money?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I can't say if it's "worth the money" because I buy a lot of worthless poo poo. I enjoy the -300ER though.

For planning, I typically go to FlightWare and find planes of similar type on the same routes at about the same time as I plan on flying. I double check the charts on SkyVector, and then I use this site for fuel planning: http://fuelplanner.com/

I actually want PFPX/TOPCAT but since I'm only recently employed again, and also because I haven't been flying that much, I haven't done so yet.

simble
May 11, 2004

I just started using PFPX and TOPCAT together and man does it tickle my sperg bone. It makes flying the big stuff really cool. It touches a special part of my brain when my fuel remaining lines up perfectly with my planned waypoints.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
loving captain sim strikes again...

If you upgrade the 737-200 to 1.6 be aware that it inserts a 'haha, pay again nerd' bomb into p3d compatibility.

Stick with 1.0 or pay another $30 :( (granted, it is his best plane to date - even compared to milviz's 737, but even so, it feels sleezy)

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Is it possible to use Steam FSX with a non-administrator account on Windows 8? Because it's not working for me at all, and I've reinstalled it several times.

As a note, I've also recently uninstalled my boxed copy of FSX, if that can be a problem...

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Why does X-plane 10 cause my computer to run out of memory and crash? I have 8 GB of RAM. This is with medium-high settings (no AI aircraft, "Siberian Wasteland" cars, and "tons" of roads/objects.) WTF?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

simble posted:

I just started using PFPX and TOPCAT together and man does it tickle my sperg bone. It makes flying the big stuff really cool. It touches a special part of my brain when my fuel remaining lines up perfectly with my planned waypoints.

Yeah this.

It's also great having all the correct information to punch into the MCDU at the start of the flight.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

thorsilver posted:

Well in the end I abandoned my principles and bought the PMDG 777.

It's a loving good plane guys. So far I've managed to conduct a few long-range flights successfully, thanks to the tutorial document which is actually very well done and got me started without much fuss. I found SimBrief.com pretty good for creating flight plans, though it tends to assign weird flight levels and speeds during cruise that I have to recalibrate on the fly. I guess I'd be better off with PFPX or something? What flight planning solutions are best for the 777 (and the Aerosoft Airbus too)?

Also is the 300ER expansion worth the money?

I use FSBuild and it works well enough. The only thing stopping me from getting PFPX is the that it's subscription based. We're saving for a house and a car so aside from the new plane every year or two I can't justify a recurring sim cost. I love the -300ER FWIW and I'm very happy I spent the money on it.

edit: shouldn't have looked, it's only $13 per year after the initial purchase. fuuuuuuuuck I guess I'm getting it

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 31, 2015

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Why does X-plane 10 cause my computer to run out of memory and crash? I have 8 GB of RAM. This is with medium-high settings (no AI aircraft, "Siberian Wasteland" cars, and "tons" of roads/objects.) WTF?

Run it in 64 bit mode

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Goetta posted:

Run it in 64 bit mode

It's already in 64 bit mode

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Speaking of weird bugs, FSX Steam Edition still hasn't fixed the himem bug, so the .cfg fixer (the link for which I can't find all of a sudden) is still required if you don't want you sim to just stop when halfway though Airbus X (and I assume other planes) flight.

fake edit:
http://www.venetubo.com/fsx/

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Groda posted:

Is it possible to use Steam FSX with a non-administrator account on Windows 8? Because it's not working for me at all, and I've reinstalled it several times.

As a note, I've also recently uninstalled my boxed copy of FSX, if that can be a problem...

Have you tried to edit the FSX path in the registry ?
I uninstalled my FSX GE to install the Steam version and had to edit the path using this tool. (FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool (36KB))

EDIT: Is there an addon for X-Plane that works like FS Recorder to allow us to fly with ourself ?

vvv Thanks i'll try that.

EDIT2: Tried it, doesn't play the replay at the same time that im on another plane, its a simple replay recorder. (doesnt replay control surfaces)

Micr0chiP fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Micr0chiP posted:

Have you tried to edit the FSX path in the registry ?
I uninstalled my FSX GE to install the Steam version and had to edit the path using this tool. (FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool (36KB))

EDIT: Is there an addon for X-Plane that works like FS Recorder to allow us to fly with ourself ?

There's this:

http://www.xpluginsdk.org/flight_data_recorder.htm