Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

SFH1989 posted:

I don't think I'd ever own one but it was fun to drive, get it.

If I get a rear drive V8 it will be a '13 or '14 Mustang GT.

I was looking at a Mustang over the weekend and the backseats are just too useless. I imagine the Camaro is the same way but with worse visibility. The Challenger is basically a full-size car with two doors, so the backseat is palatable even for adults (though it has a shorter wheelbase than the Charger, interestingly).

I just don't like the looks of the Charger for some reason, and not because half of the ones I see are cop cars around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SFH1989 posted:

If I get a rear drive V8 it will be a '13 or '14 Mustang GT.

Mine would probably be something stupid like a TVR Cerbera... Because I hate my life and want to die (I just like them a lot).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

1500quidporsche posted:

The Challenger passes an important test that the Mustang and Camaro fail miserably.

If you were meeting somebody for the first time and they pulled up in one of those cars, would you roll your eyes or go grab a drink with them.

No, it all depends on the trim.
V6? Roll eyes
SS? Roll eyes
GT? Talk to
RT? Talk to
RT scat pack/srt8? Drinkin
Zl-1? Drinkin
Boss? Drinkin
Z28 or hellcat? Fuckin
Shelby? Ignoring

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My personal feeling is that the Camaro and Mustang take itself too seriously, whereas the Challenger is more about being a cheap almost practical RWD V8 car.

I can't rationally explain it but I do like the Challenger better. I know its objectively the worst of the three but the Challenger just doesn't seem to take itself as seriously.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My mustang tells good jokes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tommychu posted:

I think most of the anti-Chrysler vitriol wasn't entirely serious, it was more a response to the ridiculousness of baconator's sudden, (mostly) unprovoked :qq: LEAVE CHRYSLER ALONE :qq: tirade. Post a lovely thread, get shitposts.

There is some poo poo that Chrysler genuinely deserves though.

But lets not forgot:

GM = LOL WTF body and interior fit and finish.
Ford = Actually they have done pretty decent lately
BMW = GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM
Audi = To enter service position remove the front bumper

All manufacturers have their faults, it just seems like for ever hit Mopar has, it has 3 or 4 huge flops.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Jesus loving christ Dodge why can't you just use simple connectors for your fuel injectors fuc you ufkco ahgoaihwfd

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

My mustang tells good jokes.

Hopefully no knock-knock jokes :ohdear:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
TO me the Challenger seems pretty good on paper but hooh boy that styling was not aimed at my demographic.

I went for a stroll in the (allegedly) biggest BMW dealership in the world today. I was really confused by these two cars and forgot that one of them existed.

How do they expect "normal" non-car people to possibly keep this straight?

Other than that, the 3 series GT was surprisingly not terrible. Powered rear hatch standard and there are handles in the trunk that let you drop the 2nd row seats with one pull.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I also test-drove a Focus and a Fusion at the Ford dealership on Saturday. They were both good cars but I could never live with the Fusion's funky touch-only center console buttons. Drove me nuts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cross-post from the Panther thread:

This seems to have followed me home over the weekend:

No, not because I got in trouble. It's mine!

Here's what it looked like later in the day after a couple hours quality time with 3M Adhesive remover:

Bought it from my cousin, who bought it from the security company he worked for, who bought it from a DFW-area PD. Looks to have never been a patrol car - there's only one hole in the roof, it never had a cage, the rear vinyl seat is in good shape, and the wiring isn't butchered. It's scungy inside because no one ever cared to clean it, but it's intact.

2005. 143K miles. $1500
Rubber floor mats, cop buckets. Factory AM/FM sounds surprisingly good. No major dents, not even much parking lot rash. Scratches in the paint, particularly form where my ham-fisted cousin removed the stickers with a razor blade, and some flaking paint here and there. Fortunately touch-up paint is available at the local O'Reilly's.
May need an alignment. The spare in the trunk:

and the fronts are a little more worn on the edges. New-ish tires on the back, so I'll rotate those up there to give me some time to get it sorted.
No major leaks that I could find. Rearend is weeping a bit. I know he replaced an axle, so I'll take a look at that. Appears to have a LSD, given the striped I laid down in front of the house (with the traction control on!), but I need to check the option codes to be sure.
AC is awesome, nice window tint. runs great, but the alternator seems to have a bad bearing . Charges fine, but noisy in a bad way.
Cousin said it was throwing code P0401. He pulled the battery, so nothing was set when I had it checked at Autozone, but nothing was ready, either. It hasn't been inspected or tagged since September due to the check engine code, so that's first to fix.
Need to paint the wheels - the factory coating is wearing off and there's a little surface rust.
Power windows, locks, mirrors all work. Cruise works. Lots of HP compared to the stuff I have been driving (4-banger Cherokee, well-worn '90 RX-7, 2008 Kia Spectra5).

I like it!
Selling my XJ Cherokee to a friend for the cash and space.
Best part is that it will get me better gas mileage than the 2.5L Cherokee.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

TO me the Challenger seems pretty good on paper but hooh boy that styling was not aimed at my demographic.

I went for a stroll in the (allegedly) biggest BMW dealership in the world today. I was really confused by these two cars and forgot that one of them existed.

Other than that, the 3 series GT was surprisingly not terrible. Powered rear hatch standard and there are handles in the trunk that let you drop the 2nd row seats with one pull.

My Dad was sad to replace his '07 3 series, it was his perfect trifecta of AWD, Coupe and MT. Arthritis and the need for more space had him shopping around, and he picked a 335xi GT, which is actually pretty nice. He responded to a question on F30 post about cargo space by using a homebrew keg as an example.

When I was at the dealer for service, they had a 428i GC next to a 435i, and two things struck me - it's very easy to make a 428 cost a lot more than a 435, and the engine bay looks WEIRD with a turbo four in there. Also, putting the two of those next to each other in the showroom is an odd choice.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

88h88 posted:

Mine would probably be something stupid like a TVR Cerbera... Because I hate my life and want to die (I just like them a lot).

That's an neat car, I don't think they sold them in the US. I am actually considering a 5.0 Mustang for my next car as a daily driver. I've been driving a Fiesta for three years and it been way to sensible.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SFH1989 posted:

That's an neat car, I don't think they sold them in the US. I am actually considering a 5.0 Mustang for my next car as a daily driver. I've been driving a Fiesta for three years and it been way to sensible.

What motor is in your LTD? Isn't it a 429 or something? Why not build that up a bit and have fun with that instead of getting a boring modern car?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm just as confused as you and i've been a BMW fan for a long, long time.

The real poo poo part of the look of these cars is that terrible chrome boomerang thing on the front fender. absolutely the worst thing possible.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Raluek posted:

What motor is in your LTD? Isn't it a 429 or something? Why not build that up a bit and have fun with that instead of getting a boring modern car?

Yup, 429 just needs a different crank and it's a 460. It's a cool car but it's really not good for anything but cruising and burnouts. I want something I can drive everywhere and go around corners. The LTD would need a shitload of work before it drove anywhere near the way a new car does. I never drive it so I was planning on selling it and putting the money towards my next car. Cool car but the giant land yacht thing doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Seems to me like the price difference between what you'd sell it for and what a new Mustang costs would pay for a lot of suspension parts, but I guess it's fair to want something smaller.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Jesus loving christ Dodge why can't you just use simple connectors for your fuel injectors fuc you ufkco ahgoaihwfd

The hell did they use? Usually they're just AMP Junior Power Timer connectors (the old ones with the metal latch thing) or one of the USCAR certified standard injector plugs.

My hatred of Chrysler is based entirely on their failure at making automatic transmissions and any engine with a displacement ending in .7L. Other than that? Ehh, seen better seen worse.

Would be nice if people would make more performance boltons for their old magnum motors, but that's more an issue of market interest and performance potential than anything else.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

kastein posted:

The hell did they use? Usually they're just AMP Junior Power Timer connectors (the old ones with the metal latch thing) or one of the USCAR certified standard injector plugs.

My hatred of Chrysler is based entirely on their failure at making automatic transmissions and any engine with a displacement ending in .7L. Other than that? Ehh, seen better seen worse.

Would be nice if people would make more performance boltons for their old magnum motors, but that's more an issue of market interest and performance potential than anything else.

It's partly the location too. Its a connector with a sliding lock tab in a super cramped spot under the fuel rail and the tubing that protects the wiring harness. Whats supposed to happen is you slide the tab to unlock it and then squeeze the latch to release. What actually happens is you cant get your hands through the bullshit surrounding it, and when you put enough force on the sliding tab it breaks off and fucks off into the depths of the engine bay. It was a whole lot of bullshit to get past just so I could check the resistance of the fuel injectors.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SFH1989 posted:

To be honest I'd ADORE a Sagaris but I lack the £50k they command even second hand but man, how gloriously batshit are these things? I posted the Cerbera because it was one of the last V8s they did before moving onto their own versions of straight sixes (which also sound glorious).

Get the Mustang, treat yourself.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Raluek posted:

Seems to me like the price difference between what you'd sell it for and what a new Mustang costs would pay for a lot of suspension parts, but I guess it's fair to want something smaller.

At the end of the day it will still be a 45 year old 4500lb body on (fully boxed) frame convertible. It would work better as a tow rig, it has a more robust frame and drivetrain than my truck. I've also found that I don't really care for convertibles.

If I had the money and space I would keep it just because it's cool.

88h88 posted:

Get the Mustang, treat yourself.

Once I get a job. Hopefully I'll hear back from the Navy soon, wanna get those sweet military industrial complex dollars.

I should drive one too. The only Mustang I've ever driven was an '08 GT 5spd, which I liked and the 11-14s are even better. I'll give a '15 EB a try too.

TVR's are silly in a good way, wish we had them over here.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

YESSSS raging rear end in a top hat Service Manager that nobody likes and everyone has to walk on eggshells around didn't show up for work today, and sent a mass text to all of the service advisors that he's "resigned."

There was literally one thing that I did not like about my job, and it was him. Fortunately he wasn't actually my boss, but I still had to work with him at times, and usually it went along the lines of "Get the gently caress out of my office, can I not get some God-drat work done." No, you can't, because you're lovely at your job and you don't know what the poo poo you're doing anyhow. Just this past Friday, a customer came up to me and politely asked to speak with the Service Manager. I went to go find him and said "Hey La-" and was cut off with a pissed off head shake at me and "Nope, not now, go away." "Yeah, well a customer specifically asked to speak with you." Then I got bitched at like the problem was completely my fault, so I just said gently caress him, and told her to go on in.

Such a huge relief.

Oh God, it's almost April Fools, isn't it :ohdear:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Of course the serpentine belt would give out on the E39 today. Wrapped itself around the fan pretty good too.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Cross-post from the Panther thread:

This seems to have followed me home over the weekend:

No, not because I got in trouble. It's mine!

Here's what it looked like later in the day after a couple hours quality time with 3M Adhesive remover:

Bought it from my cousin, who bought it from the security company he worked for, who bought it from a DFW-area PD. Looks to have never been a patrol car - there's only one hole in the roof, it never had a cage, the rear vinyl seat is in good shape, and the wiring isn't butchered. It's scungy inside because no one ever cared to clean it, but it's intact.

2005. 143K miles. $1500
Rubber floor mats, cop buckets. Factory AM/FM sounds surprisingly good. No major dents, not even much parking lot rash. Scratches in the paint, particularly form where my ham-fisted cousin removed the stickers with a razor blade, and some flaking paint here and there. Fortunately touch-up paint is available at the local O'Reilly's.
May need an alignment. The spare in the trunk:

and the fronts are a little more worn on the edges. New-ish tires on the back, so I'll rotate those up there to give me some time to get it sorted.
No major leaks that I could find. Rearend is weeping a bit. I know he replaced an axle, so I'll take a look at that. Appears to have a LSD, given the striped I laid down in front of the house (with the traction control on!), but I need to check the option codes to be sure.
AC is awesome, nice window tint. runs great, but the alternator seems to have a bad bearing . Charges fine, but noisy in a bad way.
Cousin said it was throwing code P0401. He pulled the battery, so nothing was set when I had it checked at Autozone, but nothing was ready, either. It hasn't been inspected or tagged since September due to the check engine code, so that's first to fix.
Need to paint the wheels - the factory coating is wearing off and there's a little surface rust.
Power windows, locks, mirrors all work. Cruise works. Lots of HP compared to the stuff I have been driving (4-banger Cherokee, well-worn '90 RX-7, 2008 Kia Spectra5).

I like it!
Selling my XJ Cherokee to a friend for the cash and space.
Best part is that it will get me better gas mileage than the 2.5L Cherokee.

Nice, and that's a screaming deal! Lets hope the transmission lasts longer than two days, unlike the p71 I bought 2 weeks ago :smithicide:

Also, here's a PSA to everyone:

Don't rub your eyes after cutting Serrano peppers. Don't rub your eyes after cutting Serrano peppers. Don't rub your eyes after cutting Serrano peppers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We got the garage moved yesterday, got out new washer & dryer delivered, got the old garage cleaned up and turned in the keys and opener, took and recycled the leftover Civic bits, had lunch with Dad, took the winter wheels to the new place, went to Mom's and dropped off some stuff and just finished some Chinese food.

Quite the active day!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CornHolio posted:

I also test-drove a Focus and a Fusion at the Ford dealership on Saturday. They were both good cars but I could never live with the Fusion's funky touch-only center console buttons. Drove me nuts.

youre like the second person ive seen that has a gripe about it and for the life of me i cant figure out why

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

User Error posted:

Don't rub your eyes after cutting Serrano peppers. Don't rub your eyes after cutting Serrano peppers. Don't rub your eyes after cutting Serrano peppers.

Dont take a pee either

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

User Error posted:

buy playtex cleancuisine disposable gloves. having your hands burn for 2 days because you decided to make 2 gallons of salsa sucks,.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

User Error posted:

Nice, and that's a screaming deal! Lets hope the transmission lasts longer than two days, unlike the p71 I bought 2 weeks ago :smithicide:

Well, it made it the 30 or so miles home, and then around the block yesterday. Here's hoping!
It was a daily driver until recently, so I don't think it should be a problem.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

go3 posted:

youre like the second person ive seen that has a gripe about it and for the life of me i cant figure out why

Only the second? Well count me and lots of other people in.

If there are no tactile buttons or knobs it means you have to take your eyes off the road to change basic settings which is stupid, short sighted and dangerous.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

User Error posted:

I got some powdered chilli on my hands yesterday (was putting some yellow 7 pot brain strain in my pasta e fagioli). I didn't touch my eyes/nose/dick without washing my hands well, but at 3AM when I went to sleep it was still burning/stinging in the gaps between my fingers where I guess the skin is less tough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Is this some username cult or something?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yes.
We're waiting for h03 too.
Will you be the forums ho3? :laugh:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 31, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

Only the second? Well count me and lots of other people in.

If there are no tactile buttons or knobs it means you have to take your eyes off the road to change basic settings which is stupid, short sighted and dangerous.

I took my eyes off the road once for just long enough to get my finger on the "next track" button. Didn't even waste time pressing it.

Rearended a car and pushed it into another. I'd been following at a greater distance than everyone else in traffic, but still too closely to do something like that.

I don't take my eyes off the road in traffic anymore and I sure as gently caress will never have a touchscreen in my car. Sorry, not happening, car makers. I was real happy when we nixed the touchscreen we had planned at work, partially because of this story.

I'm still paying the surcharge for that one and will be for another year.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
The above reason is why I meticulously took the time to memorize where pause-play/next/back were on my phone when I use it to listen to music in a car I can't bluetooth with.

If there must be a touch-only center console, it should be mandatory that the steering wheel has corresponding buttons.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The Lexus came with an aftermarket touchscreen stereo and gently caress me is it awful. The UI isn't even bad, but having to look down for every little thing gets irritating/dangerous fast. Pulled the faceplate on the second day I drove it and haven't looked back.
The guy my PO bought it from did some tasteful exhaust work so the 1UZ has plenty of music to play for me anyway :3:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I kinda like the Charger :confused: - at least with a manual and a V8. That combination rules out most of the terrible parts of Chrysler (automatics and V6s).

The head unit I have now is a traditional single DIN Pioneer, but it's confusing as poo poo to use, even though I've had it close to a year. I've given up ever programming new stations into it (there are no preset buttons, just up/down and a menu, and I'm too lazy to download the manual again) The remote made it tolerable (and usable while driving, since it was easy to memorize the buttons on it), but it took a poo poo after 3 months. The only things you can do without taking your eyes off the road are adjust volume and skip tracks.

User Error posted:

Related:

Don't to take a piss after dicing jalapenos. Just don't. And if you do, don't scratch.

Darchangel posted:

Well, it made it the 30 or so miles home, and then around the block yesterday. Here's hoping!

With expired tags? You're a brave, brave man. I've been pulled over for an expired inspection in a rental, of all things, and on my way home from picking up the rental (and once I looked closer at the inspection sticker, it had been pulled off of another car... thanks Enterprise!).

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry for needing a time out guys I'll behave myself this time

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:stare:

Another accident with the sharp objects, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Some jobs you just gotta roll up your sleeves, spit into your palm, and not be afraid of getting your hands dirty like a real man.

• Locked thread