Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think we're going to end up with another TSM vs C9 finals with how the bracket looks. I think TIP would beat c9 in a series right now but probably not TSM. I'm hoping TSM wins this though, since I want to see a good NA showing at the mid season invitational and TSM gives a far better chance of that than c9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

You know what I think would be fun? A game where, for whatever reason, Piglet, Fenix, Lustboy, Impact and Rush went up against a Korean team and kicked their heads in all over the map.

Also, apparently Piglet was pretty badly mistranslated last night.

Calax fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 30, 2015

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I have a lot of games to watch, I missed all weekend. poo poo.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

C9's games were pretty awesome. Honestly the C9, and Liquid games today are the best ones of the bunch, but Team 8 vs Gravity game was also a pretty amazing slug fest.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Why the hell is no one picking Jinx any more in competitive? She has a ton of range and damage.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How Rude posted:

Why the hell is no one picking Jinx any more in competitive? She has a ton of range and damage.

and 0 escapes. can you imagine the hell of being jinx and being ganked by sejuani? loving dead.

also are there any games worth watching from the last day? were tip games any good?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Piglet and Sneaky went nuts on the last day. Both had some amazing plays (and picks) that were just beautiful to watch.

TIP's games were... interesting.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
My take-aways from patch 5.5 so far:

1. Rek'sai is not that great anymore
2. Even though it worked in that SKT - Jin Air game, I don't really think Vlad is going to be taking the meta by storm.
3. World of tanks will be fun for about 3 patches.
4. Sej is still going to be a very strong competitive pick even after the 5.6 nerfs.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The thing that surprised me most about 5.5 competitive was that anyone played warrior junglers at all.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

The thing that surprised me most about 5.5 competitive was that anyone played warrior junglers at all.

Pretty much. I think you can flex a few of them into cinderhulk tank junglers (Vi and J4, for instance), but if it were me I would just be picking Nunu, Sej, and Sion all day. And Voli. I'm actually surprised he hasn't' shown up yet. But I haven't watched all of the games from this weekend, so who knows.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Logistical inertia, probably. Teams have a lot of time and effort invested into playing with previously-meta junglers.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Sexpansion posted:

2. Even though it worked in that SKT - Jin Air game, I don't really think Vlad is going to be taking the meta by storm.

CJ also used it to crush Samsung.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Libertine posted:

Vi is still super good and has reliable point-and-click CC/damage, I don't see that as too strange.

Also she shreds tanky people pretty hard with her W, especially if the team's ADC is really strong.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libertine posted:

Rek'sai mobility and vision still makes her a good competitive jungler as does Vi's shred and point-and-click lockdown. Beyond that, it looks pretty dire for bruisers.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Disinterested posted:

CJ also used it to crush Samsung.

I didn't watch those matches because Samsung is terrible. Did Coco play it or Shy?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You will also still see J4 because his ult is unique.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

I didn't watch those matches because Samsung is terrible.

By Korean standards - it's was still a higher quality series than like 7/10 LCS games.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Disinterested posted:

By Korean standards - it's was still a higher quality series than like 7/10 LCS games.

Yeah I have no doubt Samsung would be at least a mid-tier team in either LCS region.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
So by my math, Gravity or Liquid need to get 4th. So one of them is going to have to win in the quarterfinals. My brain says Liquid, to complete the clg fail prophecy. But my heart is with the leather jacket squad.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Cinderhulk Junglers vs. Warrior Junglers in this Week of Competitive Head-to-Head:

NA LCS: 5 wins, 1 loss (Coast was the loss)
EU LCS: 1 win, 3 losses (Not very convincing to my argument, I'll give that over)
LCK: 5 wins, 1 loss (KT was the loss to GE)

I think:
- On 5.5/5.6 there's no reason to play any Warrior junglers over Cinderhulk junglers if you are talking about absolute min-max strongest team compositions which is what you should always strive for in a competitive draft.
- Rek'Sai is a crutch for bad rotations and has been a neutral (not strong) pick since she was heavily nerfed.
- Lee Sin shouldn't be played by anybody, pro or solo, and if I was a pro coach I wouldn't let my team draft him.
- Vi is actually in a worse place than Rek'Sai, and pro junglers just haven't rotated off of her in their pools. If you need point-and-click CC just draft Lissandra or Maokai and then instead of Vi take one of the ten or so insane super-tanks you can play out of the jungle right now.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

Vi is actually in a worse place than Rek'Sai, and pro junglers just haven't rotated off of her in their pools

What makes you say this?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

- Lee Sin shouldn't be played by anybody, pro or solo, and if I was a pro coach I wouldn't let my team draft him.

Yes.

Edit: Maybe I'd still let Dandy play him.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Alcatrash posted:

What makes you say this?

Her pre-6 ganks are on par with a tank jungler; and her late game is way worse than a tank jungler, and you basically have to build her full tank to survive any kind of initiation past 30 minutes anyways. So what's the point? I'm not saying she's unplayable, I'm just saying she's never optimal in a competitive draft. You could ban out six Cinderhulk tank junglers, pick a seventh and eighth, and those would be better choices than Vi.

Since the 5.4 nerfs her Level 6 power spike is not nearly as intimidating since her ultimate damage got shredded at early ranks and it's not an automatic free kill when you pop it. Plenty of other junglers have comparable or superior mobility (her only other defining feature) and are stronger at all points of the game.

A lot of the meta-level shifts have made early ganking way more difficult (something she already struggled with) and way less influential on the outcome of the game. Almost all of the early game junglers have suffered doubly from direct nerfs to them and direct buffs to the pool of champions they are competing with. As such I don't think it's (in the current game) ever optimal to run a Warrior jungler. Especially when there are so many solid HP-scaling tank choices who have huge team fight ultimates who can win you the dragon/tower/baron fights mid-game which basically decide competitive matches now.

e:
When I think of which team did 5.5 the absolute best I think it was SKT. They completely modified the champions they were running and the comps they were running to specifically harness the strength of tanks on this patch. They ran Urgot/Alistar bot lane for christ's sake. Strong front line, hard CC, HP stacking, even mid-lane with Anivia/Vlad. Any champion they picked that wasn't burly as poo poo had to be mobile. Even their Hecarim was tank on every item (if you count Triforce for defensive purposes).

This is a radical departure from their past style, champions, strategy, etc. I think it was necessary and very few teams actually successfully adapted to this patch in a correct way.

Libertine fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 30, 2015

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

and 0 escapes. can you imagine the hell of being jinx and being ganked by sejuani? loving dead.

You can play her in place of Kog'maw in juggermaw-type comps. And probably only those types of comps.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Tank Vi is dead long live full damage Vi. :black101:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libertine posted:

Her pre-6 ganks are on par with a tank jungler; and her late game is way worse than a tank jungler, and you basically have to build her full tank to survive any kind of initiation past 30 minutes anyways. So what's the point? I'm not saying she's unplayable, I'm just saying she's never optimal in a competitive draft. You could ban out six Cinderhulk tank junglers, pick a seventh and eighth, and those would be better choices than Vi.

I mean if you really wanted to, you could easily build Cinderhulk on Vi and she'd be fine because of her W and passive. And she brings more to teamfights than stuff like Volibear or Olaf. Same with Jarvan and his passive and armor shred.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Just build them both full damage with a 6th item zhonyas, the true manly way to play league of legends

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

mistaya posted:

Tank Vi is dead long live full damage Vi. :black101:

Long life is a bit presumptous in this case.

I do like watching Meteos try to solo carry when he forsakes his whole team for the Brutality build.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

I mean if you really wanted to, you could easily build Cinderhulk on Vi and she'd be fine because of her W and passive. And she brings more to teamfights than stuff like Volibear or Olaf. Same with Jarvan and his passive and armor shred.

You can do this on J4 too, but the point is that there are better options.

I say this as someone who loves playing cinderhulk J4 in soloqueue.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Vi is liked for her ability to fly into a team, grab somebody and kick them out of the enemy team.

Also the Denting blows giving armor shred and % health damage is really helpful for a tanky meta.

I'm just surprised nobody has experimented with Kalista more. Get a tanky as heck Taric and toss him into the enemy team. Armor Shred for EVERYBODY!

Darius might actually be good to murder gigantic tanks given his true damage ult.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Okay Hai is cool again in my book, he's playing Marvin the 4th.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Just a reminder to people to pay up if you lost Fantasy LCS in a reward league.

For mine, Megling Genocide:
http://fantasy.na.lolesports.com/en-US/league/497883

The winner is mastercoo7588

Edit:

Just sent you your Mystery Skin. Ice Toboggan Corki!

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 30, 2015

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Holy poo poo Coast ended 1 - 17 how is that even possible.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

:iit:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sexpansion posted:

bad team does bad, although for some reason I only just clocked that Impaler and Jesiz are gone.

Speaking of stats, SK has a pretty fearsome record in Eu so far, what is the best competitive record for pro League? Any complete blow outs without losing a single game?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

bad team does bad, although for some reason I only just clocked that Impaler and Jesiz are gone.

Speaking of stats, SK has a pretty fearsome record in Eu so far, what is the best competitive record for pro League? Any complete blow outs without losing a single game?

I think C9 and Vulcan or XDG or w/e have both had splits where they only lost 1 game?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Flipswitch posted:

SKT T1K went undefeated during the entirety of OGN Winter 13-14.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Obscurity posted:

Just a reminder to people to pay up if you lost Fantasy LCS in a reward league.

For mine, Megling Genocide:
http://fantasy.na.lolesports.com/en-US/league/497883

The winner is mastercoo7588
Just sent you your Mystery Skin. Ice Toboggan Corki!

Oh good, I sent him Rune Xerath and felt bad about it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Flipswitch posted:

Jesiz leaving was actually an upgrade for them probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

GreyPowerVan posted:

I think C9 and Vulcan or XDG or w/e have both had splits where they only lost 1 game?

Even C9 at their best lost like 3 games. I think that's the closest anyone has gotten to a perfect split in NA.

• Locked thread