Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Inaugural Virgin flight from Manchester to Atlanta was supposed to include a ceremony involving a water spray-down from a firetruck.

Instead someone hit the 'FOAM' button instead and got the flight canceled:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/inaugural-manchester-atlanta-flight-grounded-8950095

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Linedance posted:

Ah well, too bad, pilot error. Please don't point the crumbling and sub par infrastructure, it's not the airport authority's fault.

This, but without the sarcasm (assuming it is actually pilot error). Whether the airport is a bush strip without the money, or did have the money but spent it on frivolities instead of an ILS, has no bearing on the pilot's actions leading up to the crash. If they [descended too early/set their altimeters wrong/busted minimums at the bottom/started without minimums at the top/failed to hand-fly the airplane/etc.] then it is indeed not the airport authority's fault, or that of the infrastructure.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Inaugural Virgin flight from Manchester to Atlanta was supposed to include a ceremony involving a water spray-down from a firetruck.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/inaugural-manchester-atlanta-flight-grounded-8950095

quote:

Another passenger added: “I’m an aerospace engineer and I realised straight away the flight wouldn’t happen. Someone should be in trouble for this.”
:goonsay:

Which one of you was it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

This, but without the sarcasm (assuming it is actually pilot error). Whether the airport is a bush strip without the money, or did have the money but spent it on frivolities instead of an ILS, has no bearing on the pilot's actions leading up to the crash. If they [descended too early/set their altimeters wrong/busted minimums at the bottom/started without minimums at the top/failed to hand-fly the airplane/etc.] then it is indeed not the airport authority's fault, or that of the infrastructure.

Exactly, it's going to be pilot error, and Halifax still won't have a glideslope on runway 04 20 years from now. And there going to be a lot more diverts to YUL (or YYT though it's unlikely to be better up there) when they're using 04 and the weather is poo poo. None of this is the airport's problem. Heck they're probably chuffed at the idea of all these passengers stranded in their shiny new terminal waiting for their plane to show up, spending money on $8 bottles of water and maple syrup.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Mr. Showtime posted:

NASA does Good Things

When it comes to aerodynamic witchcraft, I have a soft spot for the QSRA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6tOrlNtZC0

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb1W3AK7hRY

TNO fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 31, 2015

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Now that's what I call a sticky situation!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

They bukkaked the Virgin Beauty Queen on its maiden flight. Have you no decency, Manchester?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

By the way, NASA is weird.

But that's kinda cool...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

At least they didn’t run over anyone this time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD3G86dfj6Y

I watched this with the sound entirely off, but it doesn't matter. You pick a soundtrack and it works. Yakkety Sax, Carmina Burana, Sail, whatever.

Are they simulating the V-22 in the 1970s? :psyduck:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Are they simulating the V-22 in the 1970s? :psyduck:

Kind of but not quite...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_XV-15

The V-22 only became a thing after the Iran hostage thing & credible sport, but the research with the XV-15 made the V-22 a viable option.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SybilVimes posted:

Kind of but not quite...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_XV-15

The V-22 only became a thing after the Iran hostage thing & credible sport, but the research with the XV-15 made the V-22 a viable option.

The Bell XV-3 flew in 1955.

Of course the Germans tried it, too. The Focke-Achgelis Fa 269 never made it to a flying form, though.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 31, 2015

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?

ehnus posted:

I was super stoked about Flight Simulator X falling from $25 to $5 until I started playing it with a keyboard and now I'm looking at $150 yokes...

Camp eBay for a CH Products Yoke. I managed to grab a used one around $50 after a month of looking. CH makes good poo poo that lasts a long time, so buying used isn't a problem as long as it's in decent shape.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. Showtime posted:

NASA does Good Things with F-16s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZQDwRKHCSQ

e: you know what, have some other NASA-branded Aeronautical Insanity (tm):

The F-18 HARV, capable of stable flight at 70 degrees AoA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SViiqylV0lA

Or the Active Aeroelastic Wing project (Boeing/AFRL/NASA Dryden), which harnesses the power of black magic voodoo aerodynamics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjZodZxgke4

The Grumman X-29, cobbled together from F-5 and F-16 bits, flew 13 years before the Su-47:

SOFIA, a joint CNN/NASA project designed to spot black holes loitering in American airspace before they can claim another aircraft:

Pretend I posted some pictures and/or video here of the NF-15 STOL/MTD/ACTIVE (I'm too lazy to go look anything up).

Basically it's a F-15 except in the '80s it could do this:

- demonstrated vectored takeoffs with rotation at speeds as low as 42 mph (68 km/h)
- a 25-percent reduction in takeoff roll
- landing on just 1,650 ft (500 m) of runway compared to 7,500 ft (2,300 m) for the standard F-15
- thrust reversal in flight to produce rapid decelerations
- controlled flight at angles of attack up to about 85 degrees

Then they put some other poo poo on it (ACTIVE) in the '90s and it could do all the crazy Raptor/Su-35/etc maneuverability poo poo.

fake edit: Okay I lied here's one picture:

(it usually wore a pretty fruity red white and blue paint scheme but it had a more military paint scheme early in its life)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Does a standard F15 really need a 7500' runway? I know it's a big plane, but I've seen F18's easily do it on a fraction of that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Well, Hornets are designed to land on postage stamps in oceans. I figure it stands to reason they can stop faster on a runway, too.

I'm wondering if that number is "worst case/longest needed" like if the F-15 is landing with a full load and full tanks or something. I dunno.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Tiny wheels, tiny brakes that overheat easily.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

iyaayas01 posted:

(it usually wore a pretty fruity red white and blue paint scheme but it had a more military paint scheme early in its life)

The ACTIVE livery was the best livery!

Though I hadn't seen that camo job before, it is pretty, too.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

iyaayas01 posted:

:gay:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So when you make a prototype with so many movable surfaces how exactly do you hook them up to the controls? Do they just serve to enhance existing inputs or do they get a separate joystick or something that lets you manually control them? I guess the same question applies to thrust vectoring.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Stick -> computaaaah (this is the tricky part) -> control surfaces

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Does anyone have contact details for NASA legal / intellectual property? I don't know how they even got my year 8 maths book but they're going to loving pay.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Eej posted:

So when you make a prototype with so many movable surfaces how exactly do you hook them up to the controls? Do they just serve to enhance existing inputs or do they get a separate joystick or something that lets you manually control them? I guess the same question applies to thrust vectoring.

This is why aircraft development is expensive, basically. Integration is hard.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

poo poo, I can't believe I forgot this. The ACTIVE livery was the best, though, and don't you dare claim otherwise :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

NASA airplanes are the best airplanes.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Linedance posted:

NASA airplanes are the best airplanes.

This. I refuse anyone saying the X-3 was not an unattractive airplane.
Granted it couldn't fly for poo poo, but it looked good while almost crashing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I just look at all the cool stuff NASA does and scream "Why are we cutting funding to them again?!"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I want to live in a world where NASA and the DoD swapped budgets for about 20 years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

holocaust bloopers posted:

I want to live in a world where NASA and the DoD swapped budgets for about 20 years.

Seriously

"What? Mars? We've been there for ten years now"

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
To think that instead of going into Iraq and Afghanistan we could have built one completely new space shuttle every month for the last 13 years.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Tsuru posted:

To think that instead of going into Iraq and Afghanistan we could have built one completely new space shuttle every month for the last 13 years.

Without the military industrial complex we could have had a real space launch system :colbert:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I'm just saying there are options

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what if we pay a Russian oligarch to defect and claim that there's a secret Russian base on Mars

the military loves listening to defectors

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011
How many AMTs, or students to become one, are there itt?
Only asking because I'm in school, right now-ignoring part of a lecture on cabin pressurization, and it crossed my mind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SybilVimes posted:

Without the military industrial complex we could have had a real space launch system :colbert:

Meh, initially it took some military appeal to get NASA in gear, most of our initial launch systems were nothing more than ICBMs with a command module attached.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Tsuru posted:

Going into Iraq and Afghanistan killed less people than that would have.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

VikingSkull posted:

what if we pay a Russian oligarch to defect and claim that there's a secret Russian base on Mars

the military loves listening to defectors

That's more or less the motivating factor to launch an observation Apollo mission in Lucifer's Hammer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

freshmeat.popsicle posted:

How many AMTs, or students to become one, are there itt?
Only asking because I'm in school, right now-ignoring part of a lecture on cabin pressurization, and it crossed my mind.

AMT?

If you mean mechanic/maintenance tech/engineer/schlub with a wrench, I was one in a former life, and I think there's a few others about.

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011
Yes, a grease monkey for airplanes.... an A&P certified mechanic.

I was told that when you get to work you're essentially in "beg, borrow, or steal" when it comes to maintenance manuals, so I thought about setting up an online library (through google drive or whatever) from whatever other goons want to donate/contribute.

Not sure of the legality for this, but don't think it'd be anything other than 'frowned upon' by whichever manufacturer.

good/bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

When the FAA comes by and asks to see the manual you used to sign off that last maintenance task, you'll probably end up thinking that it's a really bad idea.