Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

TheModernAmerican posted:

Are you one of those guys that stands in front of planned parenthoods with ABORTION = MURDER signs?

Hahahaha holy poo poo, look at this guy.

I'm guessing this is a troll, but yeah when the 7-months pregnant mother isn't actually planning on aborting, and is hoping to give birth and raise the kid, then killing her unborn child sure sounds like a crime equal to murder, in any sane person's books - even if it doesn't fit a textbook definition of "murder" - and it should be punished just as severely.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah, as sad as that case is, let's not give ammunition to people who want to make all fetus terminations murder :( it's coming from a place of righteous outrage, but there are political bodies just begging for an emotionally driven piece of legislation to exploit (think a much worse Megan's Law)

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Moey posted:

I let this sit because this thread isn't a rant place. But really, cutting a 7 month old pre born baby out of the mothers stomach and it ending up dead isn't murder?

Did you read your article?

District Attorney Stan Garrett posted:

Under Colorado law, essentially, there is no way murder charges can be brought if it's not established that the fetus lived as a child outside the body of the mother.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Are you one of those guys that stands in front of planned parenthoods with ABORTION = MURDER signs?

Haha not at all, I just don't seem to align with someone like that not getting lethal injection. Regardless, enough derails in this thread.

Mister Mind posted:

Did you read your article?

Yes sir, doesn't mean I agree it. Let's move on.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo, look at this guy.

I'm guessing this is a troll, but yeah when the 7-months pregnant mother isn't actually planning on aborting, and is hoping to give birth and raise the kid, then killing her unborn child sure sounds like a crime equal to murder, in any sane person's books - even if it doesn't fit a textbook definition of "murder" - and it should be punished just as severely.

Yeah, no one would ever think of applying this to abortion!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

One of the reasons this is significantly different is actually explained in the article - a preemie born at the same age as the fetus would almost certainly survive, even with the most basic of medical care. This is way, way past the abortion stage. That's why it would have been considered murder if there had been proof that the baby lived after its delivery. It was old enough to survive outside the mother, but didn't (obviously).

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Are y'all aware that Wilkins is able to sue her attacker under a Colorado law that was passed and signed last year that provides civil remedies for the unlawful termination of a fetus without the consent of the mother? Like, the only difference between that bill and what people are talking about here is civil v. criminal, and oh look the text of the bill flat out states

quote:

SECTION 1. Legislative declaration. (1) The general assembly hereby finds and declares that:

(a) The purpose of this act is to provide a civil remedy that may be invoked when a woman suffers an unlawful termination of her pregnancy;

(b) Nothing in this act shall be construed to confer legal personhood, or any rights associated with that status, upon a human being at any time prior to birth;

(c) Nothing in this act shall be construed to create a cause of action against a woman arising from her own actions, or inactions, that result in an injury to her pregnancy; and

(d) Nothing in this act shall be construed to create a cause of action against a health care institution or health care professional engaged in providing health care services to a patient or to alter, amend, or in any way limit the "Health Care Availability Act", article 64 of title 13, Colorado Revised Statutes.

But obviously there's no way to draft a criminal bill that would do the same things without it instantly turning into an anti-abortion measure!

Here's the funniest loving part about this: I wasn't even searching for Colorado law. All I googled was "unlawful termination of pregnancy" and :boom: there it was.

EDIT: My bad, I thought Wilkins had died.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Mar 28, 2015

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Get back on topic you jerks

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

How about a slightly off topic backtrack unrelated to the stupid derail? I just checked the thread and I missed the whole airline disaster tangent by a few pages, but something about Delta Flight 191 left a lasting impression on me. Not the wiki article itself, but a scene from a documentary about airline disasters.

Delta 191 crashed outside Dallas/Ft Worth, killing 148. It's famous because the NTSB investigation lasted over a year, and got the threat of microbursts to be taken seriously. What shook me was a scene where they recreated the event in a flight simulator and sprang it on a pilot. It only lasts a minute but when his instincts and adrenaline kick in there's suspension of disbelief, its like watching the real thing.

I guess It's not bad if you're expecting it, but when it pops up out of nowhere after hours of dry analysis and voice transcripts it's like you're finally seeing what it looks like for the captain of a doomed airliner to die with his boots on. You just know his legs were shaking when he stood up to get out of the simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvs79OO0bE&t=70s

CVRs always have the added drama of a machine with so many safety warnings that it experiences Artificial Terror in its final moments, panicking and losing its poo poo right along with its crew.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Syd Midnight posted:

CVRs always have the added drama of a machine with so many safety warnings that it experiences Artificial Terror in its final moments, panicking and losing its poo poo right along with its crew.

Always this, thats a really good way to put it. In many ways, after a few Mayday episodes, you start to feel like the crew is trying to hold things together while the airplane loudly freaks out about what is happening around it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
On the subject of Mayday/Air Crash Investigation this incident always creeped me out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Cargo_Flight_8509

Basically captain was very senior (and apparently very grumpy) and the first officer was junior enough that they didn't feel like they could point out the mistake the captain was making (in this case believing a malfunctioning instrument). The upshot of this was the first officer sat there not saying a word while the captain crashed the plane.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

On the subject of Mayday/Air Crash Investigation this incident always creeped me out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Cargo_Flight_8509

Basically captain was very senior (and apparently very grumpy) and the first officer was junior enough that they didn't feel like they could point out the mistake the captain was making (in this case believing a malfunctioning instrument). The upshot of this was the first officer sat there not saying a word while the captain crashed the plane.

The crash of BEA Flight 548 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_European_Airways_Flight_548) is still pretty drat mysterious but the over-bearing character of the captain is thought to have played a role. Someone on the plane retracted the leading-edge flaps far too early, causing the aircraft to stall, and then disengaged the anti-stall system. The captain was very senior in BEA, the other two flight crew were very junior and the captain had just that morning been involved in a "violent outburst" with another junior officer in the crew room over a proposed strike.

That sort of Captain=God culture also played a part in the Tenerife disaster (amongst a lot of other interlocking factors) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You and your wife are taking your four kids (two boys ages 1 and 3, two girls 6 and 11) to a birthday party, so wife puts kids in the Ford Expedition SUV and you follow in your truck. This is in Fresco, CA, in February, with zero worries about rain or snow. Your vehicles are in good condition, you are obeying the rules of the road, seatbelts all around, everything as routine as can be.

Five minutes later you frantically try to save your trapped family from 15 foot flames engulfing the vehicle. Despite doing your best with no tools or help (the dad tried busting windows with his bare hands and got burned), you have no option but to watch everyone burn to death. This happened in February 2014, after the SUV got hit by a minivan that ran a stop sign at 57 mph (posted limit was 55 mph) resulting in the instant inferno. The driver of the minivan wasn't drunk or on a cell phone, but was wearing an eye patch that may have caused her to miss the stop sign.

This story freaks me out as there was nothing the dad could have done differently, it was just the worst luck in the world and you go from being a happy family of six to a widower in an instant.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not an article, but I'm watching "Going Clear" and just...

holy poo poo

Scientology is hosed up.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Syd Midnight posted:

How about a slightly off topic backtrack unrelated to the stupid derail? I just checked the thread and I missed the whole airline disaster tangent by a few pages, but something about Delta Flight 191 left a lasting impression on me. Not the wiki article itself, but a scene from a documentary about airline disasters.

Delta 191 crashed outside Dallas/Ft Worth, killing 148. It's famous because the NTSB investigation lasted over a year, and got the threat of microbursts to be taken seriously. What shook me was a scene where they recreated the event in a flight simulator and sprang it on a pilot. It only lasts a minute but when his instincts and adrenaline kick in there's suspension of disbelief, its like watching the real thing.

I guess It's not bad if you're expecting it, but when it pops up out of nowhere after hours of dry analysis and voice transcripts it's like you're finally seeing what it looks like for the captain of a doomed airliner to die with his boots on. You just know his legs were shaking when he stood up to get out of the simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvs79OO0bE&t=70s

what is life like as an unbelievable mewling coward

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kanine posted:

Not an article, but I'm watching "Going Clear" and just...

holy poo poo

Scientology is hosed up.

Here's one of their completely insane rebuttal videos to Going Clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfI54h4Jhdk

Build Your Own Boat
Sep 11, 2006

Drink this

Now you're like me.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Here's one of their completely insane rebuttal videos to Going Clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfI54h4Jhdk

Rebuttal Video posted:

...including one fabricated morsel in which his prized "source" describes a church facility as a "prison camp," a buzzword guaranteed to manipulate public misconception.

Followed immediately by comparing his footage side-by-side with Nazi propaganda.

Seriously, it's like it was written by members of a high school debate team. And not a good one.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Build Your Own Boat posted:

Followed immediately by comparing his footage side-by-side with Nazi propaganda.

Seriously, it's like it was written by members of a high school debate team. And not a good one.

For me, the most baffling and stupid move in this comes at 6:21, when, in an attempt to discredit Mark Rathburn, shows a normal looking house with the voiceover smugly declaring "Here's where he lived after he was removed from the church. A far cry from the church's workers paradise".

I mean, everyone knows that Scientologists are terrible at the internet, but do they really have this little understanding of how public perception works?

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
scientology owns

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

... but do they really have this little understanding of how public perception works?

yep

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean, everyone knows that Scientologists are terrible at the internet, but do they really have this little understanding of how public perception works?

As someone who briefly dated a scientologist, I can confirm: Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. It's baffling.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

EZipperelli posted:

As someone who briefly dated a scientologist, I can confirm: Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. It's baffling.

Is it one of those things where they really don't understand why people don't like them, do you think? Like, they're not sure how to attack anti-scientology propaganda, so their attempts are really odd?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also they think they have superpowers. Watch this one defeat a local news reporter with mind powers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9uXd_71yrM

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Vindolanda posted:

Is it one of those things where they really don't understand why people don't like them, do you think? Like, they're not sure how to attack anti-scientology propaganda, so their attempts are really odd?

https://twitter.com/FreedomEthics

They seriously just used "ZZZzzzzzzzz" and stock photos of people sleeping as a legitimate rebuttal to Going Clear.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Wait, what? I thought Anonymous had taken Scientology down once and for all? Were people wearing those V for Vendetta masks for nothing?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jack Gladney posted:

Also they think they have superpowers. Watch this one defeat a local news reporter with mind powers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9uXd_71yrM

I used to live two miles from that place. I always wondered how odd it was, since their building looks like pretty nondescript office space from the outside.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vindolanda posted:

Something something about how you cannot reason with true believers.

They're so deep into the Scientology myth and stories and fiction that they truly believe it to be 100% factual and true, and cannot comprehend the alternative. They actually cannot understand how anyone could possibly disagree with them.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

I haven't watched Going Clear, so I don't know if these are mentioned in there, but anyone who wants to know about the Church of Scientology should definitely be aware that they committed international espionage and attempted to destroy the life of a journalist critical of the Church. This is in addition to how they gained 501c3 status, namely by terrorizing the private lives of IRS employees until the director started a backroom deal to negotiate determination (and directly ordering IRS employees to ignore the fact that it was in violation of the law) in exchange for CoS backing the gently caress off.

KozmoNaut posted:

They actually cannot understand how anyone could possibly disagree with them.

Sure they understand how people disagree. You see, they're masters of communication, therefore anyone who disagrees must have misunderstood a word. If you get angry or upset at what they've said, you've suffered an ARC break, which is more often thought to be the fault of the person suffering the break than the person who caused it - especially if the "breaker" is a higher degree than the "broken", or if one is in Scientology and the other not.

In other words, they think they understand why people disagree, but their reason is literally "because they're wrong", "because they've been influenced by Suppressive Persons", or "because they themselves are a Suppressive Person".

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Has anyone mentioned Dead Hand / Perimeter yet? Dr. Strangelove wasn't just a comedy :ohdear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_%28nuclear_war%29

http://www.businessinsider.com/russias-dead-hand-system-may-still-be-active-2014-9

quote:

Dead Hand was a weapon of last resort. It was created to ensure that even if the Soviet leadership was wiped out, a nuclear response could still be launched against the West and NATO in retaliation.

After Dead Hand was activated by Soviet military officials, "the first thing it does is check the communication lines to work out if there's anyone alive and in charge of the Soviet military," Alok Jha, author of "The Doomsday Handbook," told National Geographic. "If they're not alive, it takes over."

If Dead Hand did not detect signs of a preserved military hierarchy, the system would perform a check for signals of a nuclear attack, such as a change in air pressure, extreme light, and radioactivity.

If the system concluded that a nuclear strike had taken place, Dead Hand would proceed to launch all of the remaining nuclear weapons from all of the silos throughout the Soviet Union at targets across the Northern Hemisphere.

Of course, no system is fool-proof, and there are concerns that Dead Hand could still operate at some level within the modern Russian military and accidentally trigger the launch of Russia's active nukes.

"We've since asked the Russians if it's still on," Nichols writes at The National Interest, "and they've assured us, with complete confidence, that we should mind our own business."

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Vindolanda posted:

It's really hard to explain. The best way I can, is that they're almost incredulous about why you're not a scientologist, and then non-stop about why you SHOULD BE a scientologist. It sometimes seems like they don't understand social context and social cues. They'll keep dropping scientology into conversations that have absolutely nothing to do with it.

They're also very awkward. Awkward in the way someone would be, if they're ONLY understanding of America was 80s television shows, and then they come here thinking that what they saw was how they're supposed to act. Bad description, I know, but it's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

FWIW, my girlfriend was somewhat normal, not totally crazy yet, but her parents were something else entirely...

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Mar 30, 2015

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

EZipperelli posted:

It's really hard to explain. The best way I can, is that they're almost incredulous about why you're not a scientologist, and then non-stop about why you SHOULD BE a scientologist. It sometimes seems like they don't understand social context and social cues. They'll keep dropping scientology into conversations that have absolutely nothing to do with it.

If they can bring in new converts, maybe they don't have to sign over their house to the Church or quit their job to work on Church grounds to be able to afford their auditing and classes. Or maybe they won't be held as out-ethics for not helping those poor people who need Scientology to learn how to take control of their lives.

...guess I'm reading through Operation Clambake again.

Also,

Inevitable posted:

Wait, what? I thought Anonymous had taken Scientology down once and for all? Were people wearing those V for Vendetta masks for nothing?

I always got a laugh out of how so many of the Project Chanology protesters seemed to have no idea that people have been fighting against Scientology for longer than any of them have been alive, like all this information on the Church was just tucked away into a dark corner of the 'net never having been read until some /b/tard discovered it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

EZipperelli posted:

They're also very awkward. Awkward in the way someone would be, if they're ONLY understanding of America was 80s television shows, and then they come here thinking that what they saw was how they're supposed to act. Bad description, I know, but it's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

FWIW, my girlfriend was somewhat normal, not totally crazy yet, but her parents were something else entirely...

Sounds like the perfect religion for bitcoiners.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Literally Kermit posted:

Also the reason why the Twin Towers looked so much like a controlled collapse wasn't because of secret explosives or anything, it did exactly what it was designed to do, which was pancake downward. The chance of a skyscraper staying intact and just falling over lengthwise, killing far more people, just didn't test well with focus groups, so the architects have to take in worst-case scenarios into consideration.

This is something I learned as a drat kid, by the way, after the '93 bombing.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

EZipperelli posted:

To be fair, that's true of diehard fans of anything - Josh Whedonites, "Community", veganism, football ...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I have here a Scientology DVD that someone recycled. It doesn't appear to be on Youtube. It's called "The Golden Age of Tech Phase II" and it is amazing.

Unfortunately, it's scratched, and i've had great trouble ripping it properly, even though it plays just fine. Is there a program that will ignore a brief error on a DVD?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

I have here a Scientology DVD that someone recycled. It doesn't appear to be on Youtube. It's called "The Golden Age of Tech Phase II" and it is amazing.

Unfortunately, it's scratched, and i've had great trouble ripping it properly, even though it plays just fine. Is there a program that will ignore a brief error on a DVD?

You could record it directly as it plays rather than ripping it. VLC probably does it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

You could record it directly as it plays rather than ripping it. VLC probably does it.

I'm almost positive that VLC will do this. Please upload it.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
The Golden Age of Tech II

I'm not so sure how safe this site is, but this is some of the video (I think) and hoo boy its a doozy :stare:

I HAVE SUPER POWER :supaburn:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
This seems to have become the catch-all for creepy/mystery stuff so ya'll might be interested to check out the two recent AMA's on Reddit's UnresolvedMysteries subreddit from prominent investigators on the JonBennet Ramsay case. The first was deleted but you should be able to find images from google, the recent by Beckner is still on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Minarchist posted:

The Golden Age of Tech II

I'm not so sure how safe this site is, but this is some of the video (I think) and hoo boy its a doozy :stare:

I HAVE SUPER POWER :supaburn:

If I didn't know better I'd think this is a Tim & Eric sketch with how over the top it is, the music, and how so many words are used to say nothing