Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, pretty much every educational institution I've been in or taught at would either have noticed and corrected the cheating within a couple of weeks or not have given a poo poo to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not even really sure what a school is supposed to do when it comes out that they've been ignoring a problem like this for an unconscionable length of time.

They haven't been ignoring it, they've given her multiple detentions where she would have had a dedicated tutor.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Cat Mattress posted:

They haven't been ignoring it, they've given her multiple detentions where she would have had a dedicated tutor.

Wasn't that just for acting out, though? There was a bonus page where she was in detention, it just involved her sitting at her desk for an hour or so.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My high school specifically forbade doing school work during detention because then it wouldn't feel like punishment. This was great for students who had broken homes and needed extra alone time to do their school work.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fried Chicken posted:

No, it's pretty clear Anthony is Annie's father.

No, I meant that Surma literally cheated off Anthony by copying his school work.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not even really sure what a school is supposed to do when it comes out that they've been ignoring a problem like this for an unconscionable length of time.

The school wasnt ignoring it, they just didn't care apparently. Or something.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
SPECTRAL BEING!

WE WISH TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU!

e:

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 31, 2015

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

SHISHKABOB posted:

The school wasnt ignoring it, they just didn't care apparently. Or something.

Which set the expectation that what she was doing was completely okay. For several years, the Court knew Antimony was cheating and did exactly nothing about it. Suddenly, they not only care, but they're retroactively punishing her. Being strict on no-cheating this year and holding her back when she fails would be okay, but going from "yeah, whatever" all the way over to "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!!" with absolutely no middle ground is not.

Also, to the comment a few pages back about how texting or even talking on the phone lets you destress to an identical degree as actually seeing the person and venting with them: It doesn't. There's a big enough difference that I actually have to congratulate you because it took me until right there to realize "trap sprung," so :golfclap:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

She cheated, and we did nothing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No, I meant that Surma literally cheated off Anthony by copying his school work.

:thejoke:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Blackheart posted:

She cheated, and we did nothing.

THIS SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

ANTHONY CARVER

versus

THE ROBOT GODDESS DEATH CULT

STEP RIGHT UP 'N GIT YER TICKETS FOLKS

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Combed Thunderclap posted:

THIS SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

ANTHONY CARVER

versus

THE ROBOT GODDESS DEATH CULT

STEP RIGHT UP 'N GIT YER TICKETS FOLKS

Aww gently caress yeah! gently caress yeah! Robot versus robots! Aww yeah! :dance:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm really not feeling this Anthony Carver is a robot thing.

much like how Anthony Carver can't feel anything because he's a robot

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Mikl posted:

Superb. I'm tempted to take this for my avatar, but I can't think of a good quote to go with it.

"Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal."

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
que ojos tan lindos tienes...

¿me los daras?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Cryophage posted:

que ojos tan lindos tienes...

¿me los daras?

¡AAAYYYYYYY!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The real ironic thing about Anthony giving Annie so much poo poo for cheating is that, given how when Annie started she was also picking locks and generally doing all sorts of shady poo poo, its likely that his failure as a parent is very specifically why she considered it okay in the first place.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Annie's total and utter disregard for school rules was pushed along by the fact that both she and the school realized there was very little the school could, or wanted to do about her actions. For four years she was stuck in this weird limbo where no one was really responsible for her. Like Annie said, what were they going to do, call her parents? Expel her? She's good at Magic and capable in her own right, and I imagine the court preferred she stay somewhere they could keep an eye on her even if she was utterly neglecting her studies. I imagine Zimmie and Gamma are in the same boat, since I doubt they bother to even show up for classes.

But with Anthony back and abruptly taking custody, all that changes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!
Incoming Astropathic Transmission:
Origin: Templum-Altar-Gunn-04
Destination: [Redacted]
Title: RECENT SUMMARY and ANALYSIS of "webcomic" GUNNERKRIGG COURT

Content:
THE PRESENT NARRATIVE SUBDIVISION CONCERNS THE EFFORTS OF AN INSTRUCTOR (DESIGNATION: ANTHONY CARVER) TO CORRECT AN ERROR IN THE EDUCATION OF HIS OFFSPRING (D: ANTIMONY "ANNIE" CARVER) WHICH THREATENS HER INDOCTRINATION IN THE WAYS OF THE OMNISSIAH.

THIS UPSETS HER PEER/COMRADE (D: KATJA"KATT" DONLAN), PROVOKING CONFLICT. KNOWN TO THE READER BUT NOT THE CHARACTERS IS THE FACT THAT KAT IS THE OMNISSIAH. WILL SHE RESOLVE THIS CONFLICT AND AMEND THE EDUCATION OF HER PEER/COMRADE WHILE UPHOLDING THE DOCTRINE OF RESPECT OF STUDENTS FOR INSTRUCTORS?

ANALYSIS: HERETICAL BUT AMUSING.

RECOMENDATION: RELOCATE BRAIN OF AUTHOR TO SPECIALIZED SERVITOR BODY TO OPTIMIZE OUTPUT.

End Transmission

Thought of the Day: Even during dull graveyard shifts, honour the Omnissiah.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Kat's full name is Katerina, not Katja. Katja is a diminutive her mom uses.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, how much you guys wanna bet that tomorrow, on April Fools Day, it is revealed that this is all a terrible dream within a dream within a dream within a dream that Eglamore's having?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

So, how much you guys wanna bet that tomorrow, on April Fools Day, it is revealed that this is all a terrible dream within a dream within a dream within a dream that Eglamore's having?

The whole thing - Eglamore is an accountant from Grimsby, dreaming about a guy named Tom who draws some weird comic on the internet.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

The real ironic thing about Anthony giving Annie so much poo poo for cheating is that, given how when Annie started she was also picking locks and generally doing all sorts of shady poo poo, its likely that his failure as a parent is very specifically why she considered it okay in the first place.

Nah it's probably because her Mom did the same all the time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

neogeo0823 posted:

Tomorrow's comic shows Anthony giving Annie a great big hug.

Then the day after, it is removed and replaced with a giant APRIL FOOLS notice. Normal service then resumes.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I really kind of hope Kat is about to lay down the questions a normal human would ask here, like 'where have you been for years' and 'why haven't you called your daughter' and 'how can you just show up like this without any warning' and so on. It looks like she's more pissed off by Anthony the bad dad than intimidated by Anthony the teacher now.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

neogeo0823 posted:

If there will be any gag I think it's more likely we'll have to go to another site to read gunnerkrigg's update because it'll switch with another webcomic, or at least that's a common April Fool's Day prank I've seen with webcomics before. Also Tom supposedly doesn't plan that kind of poo poo out when creating the backlog, but who knows.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Brightman posted:

If there will be any gag I think it's more likely we'll have to go to another site to read gunnerkrigg's update because it'll switch with another webcomic, or at least that's a common April Fool's Day prank I've seen with webcomics before. Also Tom supposedly doesn't plan that kind of poo poo out when creating the backlog, but who knows.

Tom will get together with Jeph Jacques to bring us City Face & Yelling Bird as a pair of hard-boiled detectives who break the rules to get the job done.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wyld Karde posted:

Tom will get together with Jeph Jacques to bring us City Face & Yelling Bird as a pair of hard-boiled detectives who break the rules to get the job done.

I would read the poo poo out of a spin-off like that. But Tom doesn't really do any April Fools AFAIR.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hremsfeld posted:

Which set the expectation that what she was doing was completely okay. For several years, the Court knew Antimony was cheating and did exactly nothing about it. Suddenly, they not only care, but they're retroactively punishing her. Being strict on no-cheating this year and holding her back when she fails would be okay, but going from "yeah, whatever" all the way over to "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!!" with absolutely no middle ground is not.

Also, to the comment a few pages back about how texting or even talking on the phone lets you destress to an identical degree as actually seeing the person and venting with them: It doesn't. There's a big enough difference that I actually have to congratulate you because it took me until right there to realize "trap sprung," so :golfclap:

The court isn't doing anything, anthony is. Which is characterizing him as how someone else already explained it but I don't remember who the post was.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

Cat Mattress posted:

Kat's full name is Katerina, not Katja. Katja is a diminutive her mom uses.

Shush or you'll find yourself repurposed as a waste disposal servitor :colbert:

My April fools vote is a strip in which City Face kicks Anthony's rear end with his kung-fu. But he's all class and signs an autograph afterwords.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The April Fool will be that Anthony was Coyote making an April Fool all along, but his April Fool turns out to be an April Fool and Friday returns to Disappointed Dad Saga

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
What really strikes me about this chapter is how it's keeping everyone on the edge of their seat (myself included) yet it's probably the most thematically mundane so far. No crazy supernatural beings, robots, or magic in sight, and we're transfixed by a (distant and stern at best) dad meeting his daughter in person after many years apart and confronting her about cheating on her homework.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

General Specific posted:

What really strikes me about this chapter is how it's keeping everyone on the edge of their seat (myself included) yet it's probably the most thematically mundane so far. No crazy supernatural beings, robots, or magic in sight, and we're transfixed by a (distant and stern at best) dad meeting his daughter in person after many years apart and confronting her about cheating on her homework.

Yeah, it's quite amazing!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

General Specific posted:

Good writing is the greatest tool an artist has.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

General Specific posted:

Thank you for reading this chapter about girls getting haircuts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

See ex-fairies can get away with cheating! Don't tell me the court has a double standard.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

See ex-fairies can get away with cheating! Don't tell me the court has a double standard.

Ex-fairies probably don't have dads.

Besides, they's don't even need their minds to learn that junk.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They're also not really human so who cares really.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Blackheart posted:

They're also not really human so who cares really.

Hey now, that's not fair, they certainly are human. They were grown in a metallic tube just like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Realtalk though Red needs to come back.