Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aston posted:

Erm I think you'll find Roy sets his sword on fire (possibly with magic?) which is supremely bad rear end

Only 20 times before it breaks and you get locked out of the golden ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

My apologies, I thought this was the Smash Bros thread but I see now it is the Fire Emblem 7 thread

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Aston posted:

Erm I think you'll find Roy sets his sword on fire (possibly with magic?) which is supremely bad rear end

That was kinda neat in Melee but mostly as a reason to use Roy instead of Marth. Then Ike came into our lives with his flamethrower compacted into the form of a big golden claymore and made Roy look like a toddler with a drool-covered rattle.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Canas owns

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPubnBLuCac&t=8s

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

That was kinda neat in Melee but mostly as a reason to use Roy instead of Marth. Then Ike came into our lives with his flamethrower compacted into the form of a big golden claymore and made Roy look like a toddler with a drool-covered rattle.

Yeah and Ike is a real hero too

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Roy was added because he was a popular fan character who had a preexisting moveset to work from and they were just starting to mess with adding characters to the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I mained Roy in Melee, but when I first played Ike I realized he was what I had been seeking all along.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Only in the context of Smash bros is Roy ever associated with the word "popular"

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Roy is a cooler guy than Marth in the FE games too he just has bad stats.

Roy's too cool. Marth is literally The Worst.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Roy is NOT my boy!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Funky Valentine posted:

Only in the context of Smash bros is Roy ever associated with the word "popular"

Ok? Fortunately we're talking about Smash Bros.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Only in the context of Smash bros is Marth, Ivysaur, Shulk, Dr. Mario, Ness, Lucas, and Megaman (:letroleface:) considered popular

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Only in the context of Smash bros is Marth, Ivysaur, Shulk, Dr. Mario, Ness, Lucas, and Megaman (:letroleface:) considered popular

Captain Falcon too

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kyte posted:

They managed to make a moveset out of Sonic, dude.
At least the hand can do a variety of moves.

Sonic Battle did this far before Smash Bros did. I was actually kinda expecting his moveset to be based on that.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Countblanc posted:

Even in the context of Smash bros, Dr Mario isn't popular.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I like Roy, he's one of the cool Koopalings!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

laplace posted:

Roy is a cooler guy than Marth in the FE games too he just has bad stats.

Roy's too cool. Marth is literally The Worst.

Well I can agree with that last part anyway

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aston posted:

So unpopular they made a point of bringing him back in Smash 4

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Every game needs a heel

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Only because Ice Climbers couldn't work on the 3ds.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Sonic Battle did this far before Smash Bros did. I was actually kinda expecting his moveset to be based on that.

PM saves the day:

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Aston posted:

He was back in Melee. :saddowns:

Why'd you have to go ruin my old main Sakurai you rear end in a top hat. :qq:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Real talk, PM brought back all the characters that weren't pointless. Dr. Mario's a costume, Young Link is Toon Link, Pichu is stupid.

I'm still hoping for Pichu.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I bet if you asked 100 random people who their favourite smash bro was not one of them would say Dr Mario.

More people would say Pichu than Dr Mario.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

PM saves the day:

this move owns and i never understood why it wasn't in brawl or smash 4. i really like what p:m did with sonic in general, actually.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

didn't brawl minus add pichu to their roster

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Aston posted:

I bet if you asked 100 random people who their favourite smash bro was not one of them would say Dr Mario.

I'd bet against that actually.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Aston posted:

i have several friends who were really excited that dr. mario was back

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sharrrk posted:

didn't brawl minus add pichu to their roster
Yeah. He was the minus.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
How is Jigglypuff in Smash 4? I always appreciated the notion that it was a bit of a troll character - players shying away from its appearance, mannerisms, and goofy moveset only to be owned hard by anyone with the patience to master it.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm more afraid of Jiggs than Diddy, if that tells you anything.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mamelon posted:

How is Jigglypuff in Smash 4? I always appreciated the notion that it was a bit of a troll character - players shying away from its appearance, mannerisms, and goofy moveset only to be owned hard by anyone with the patience to master it.

When I was a kid I thought Jigglypuff was a joke character because I didn't even know Rest did anything, I thought it was useless. But yeah, Jigglypuff is totally viable, just a little hard to use.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Jigglypuff has ridiculous spacing, she seems pretty decent

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
If you're good with short hop aerials and don't want to touch the ground for more than a tenth of a second, Jigglypuff is your character.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

mabels big day posted:

I'd bet against that actually.

I said it as a joke but now I want to test out this theory, and I can't figure out how.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aston posted:

I said it as a joke but now I want to test out this theory, and I can't figure out how.

Realtalk, there's a bunch of facebook groups you could ask if you really cared. Michigan has a P:M page, and I assume a general Smash one as well, not to mention most colleges and some metro areas will have something. The MI P:M one alone has 550 members, so it wouldn't be hard to get a decent sample size. Just set up a survey page that says "rank your top 5 favorite smash characters" or maybe pick one character from each game, and then leave an optional space at the bottom asking why they picked who they did. You could formalize that too if you wanted with a couple different options ("These characters have powerful moves," "these characters have the best taunts," "these characters are from my favorite other Nintendo games," etc) since it's a lot easier to compare results like that, though the answers would be less interesting probably

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It's kind of a weird question as well since like you say there are plenty of reasons for someone being your favourite. I think asking a facebook group might skew the results more towards the competitive end of the spectrum, where it seems to me (and I know this is a broad generalisation) that they'd interpret is as who is their favourite to play, which (and again this is a generalisation) will tend towards the stronger characters. Like for example if you asked chudat who his favourite melee character is, would he say Ice Climbers or Kirby?

Would he follow his head or his heart?

And which do I want to measure?

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
My apologies, I thought this was a thread about actual games but I see now it is the Project M thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aston posted:

It's kind of a weird question as well since like you say there are plenty of reasons for someone being your favourite. I think asking a facebook group might skew the results more towards the competitive end of the spectrum, where it seems to me (and I know this is a broad generalisation) that they'd interpret is as who is their favourite to play, which (and again this is a generalisation) will tend towards the stronger characters. Like for example if you asked chudat who his favourite melee character is, would he say Ice Climbers or Kirby?

Would he follow his head or his heart?

And which do I want to measure?

I think it'd only skew that way if you talked to P:M or comp-specific groups. I'm sorta extrapolating from other nerd poo poo, but in some card game FB groups I'm on there's tons of discussion of like ~*~the lore~*~ or card art or other things that don't directly relate to mechanics (or the things that are mechanical, but still "casual" like deck lists that are clearly unviable competitively). Nerdy people gravitate to nerdy places, and there's a lot of people in groups who might not post threads but like reading what other people have to say about stuff they enjoy, and would happily respond to an anonymous survey.

And drawing the line between love of something's mechanics and it as an abstract character seems pretty arbitrary anyway. Super Mario World is probably my favorite single player game ever, but that's almost entirely because moving around and jumping feels really loving good, the sprites are the perfect size for me relative to the amount of screen you see (compared to a lot of modern platformers where poo poo is super tiny ala Meatboy or old some games where the sprites are huge), you get to run fast, and it breaks in really funny ways. The game's atmosphere and colors are nice but honestly I can think of games with better aesthetics for me (like Yoshi's Island) that I don't like quite as much.

• Locked thread