Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Pilsner posted:

I believe that was a Robe of Living Fungus I put on for show.

Crap, I was hoping there were monk robes for the higher levels. I don't get why they phased them out considering they were available pre-expansions.

Nothing neater than a lizard monk hopping around in a robe, ok... for eq. About 30 mins into erudin burning I had to reconsider and bagged his anguish robe. gently caress.

I can't even find a robe ornament for his leather tunic, wtf verant?!? This is hosed up and bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Herv posted:

Crap, I was hoping there were monk robes for the higher levels. I don't get why they phased them out considering they were available pre-expansions.

Nothing neater than a lizard monk hopping around in a robe, ok... for eq. About 30 mins into erudin burning I had to reconsider and bagged his anguish robe. gently caress.

I can't even find a robe ornament for his leather tunic, wtf verant?!? This is hosed up and bullshit.

*looks around for verant* *needs a time machine*

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Herv posted:

I think in velious, they had robe/tunic options for monks. But now you have to aug in a HF robe to your leather tunic.

The variety on robes now is pretty good, I've been rocking the various raid/rare robes for a while now. Sword&shield + robe is neat.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Braaaaaaaad! I know this is his fault somehow.

I run old models for a few reasons like zone faster load times, not looking so gay/have to poop all the time, and above all the new animations are just horrible. Everyone moves like they are arthritic and some are just plain wrong like 2hs. Looks like they never fixed them.

I loaded male lizards and yep could aug in a robe, thanks Jet, the downside is every time I look at him I think he wants to peg me in some dirty cheap room. I think I will just suffer the indignity of no robe for the fluid character movements.

I am guessing the long load times are because its loading so many more objects for the new skins. Launching/zoning 3 clients on a PC it's always the luclin character client that finishes way behind. Nasty machine too.

Old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI0I8PDQZCw

New
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ZUq7v9dz4

That's one of the better animations on the new models, and nope, can't do it.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Herv posted:

Braaaaaaaad! I know this is his fault somehow.

I run old models for a few reasons like zone faster load times, not looking so gay/have to poop all the time, and above all the new animations are just horrible. Everyone moves like they are arthritic and some are just plain wrong like 2hs. Looks like they never fixed them.

I loaded male lizards and yep could aug in a robe, thanks Jet, the downside is every time I look at him I think he wants to peg me in some dirty cheap room. I think I will just suffer the indignity of no robe for the fluid character movements.

I am guessing the long load times are because its loading so many more objects for the new skins. Launching/zoning 3 clients on a PC it's always the luclin character client that finishes way behind. Nasty machine too.

Old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI0I8PDQZCw

New
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ZUq7v9dz4

That's one of the better animations on the new models, and nope, can't do it.

It's also because they've never fixed the software to support multi-core processors

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Herv posted:

I load wood elf, dark elf, and iksar females to cover my characters for HF and mounts in normal or guise form.

Not that I ever use mounts or my guises, but I got tired of needing to be in skeleton illusion to use mounts.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Herv posted:

verant? you mean sony online entertainment, doofus

sony online entertainment? you mean daybreak game company, doofus

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Herv posted:

Don't worry buddy, the robe I wear now is Quentin's Outfit, which has that amazing beige color with the orange stripes and "eyes" on it, just like the classic Cryosilk Robe. You can see it in the little picture in the top left of zlizeq.com. You are using classic Human models, right? :unsmith:

It has good enough stats for me to wear it regardless of potential upgrades.

There are two ways to obtain it, either as a random reward from the A Moment of Clarity mission in The Library, or as a drop (I think 100%) from the rare spawn Master Thief Quentin in Sanctum Somnium. I gave up trying to get it randomly from the mission and just went and camped the Thief guy. Took me no more than an hour to get two of them, so my Shaman box wears one too! :)

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Pilsner posted:

Pro loving tip.

Yep, using classic models and spell effects, but even the effects have been messed with. 989 studios let me down, again!

Thanks for this, I can't wait to find this dude and pop him a few times!

Node posted:

verant? you mean sony online entertainment, doofus

sony online entertainment? you mean daybreak game company, doofus

Stop loving with my game putin!! :argh:

e: RIP EQMAC and original spell effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpq2CCuNMgI

Herv fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 30, 2015

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

There's like three goons trying to do their 1.0's and can't because of the changes they've made, well I've figured it all out and posted it on the forums, hopefully they change it quick because it's reaaaally stupid.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/harbinger-of-fear-faq-read-or-lose-your-items.219186/

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

There's like three goons trying to do their 1.0's and can't because of the changes they've made, well I've figured it all out and posted it on the forums, hopefully they change it quick because it's reaaaally stupid.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/harbinger-of-fear-faq-read-or-lose-your-items.219186/

So according to that, if I destroy my soul leech I can spawn the new version and do the duriek turn in? well... at least now my iksar sk is amiable to truespirit ;)

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Yep, that's what I just did for my necro and it worked, destroy the original. For necro I only had to test it by putting the slime blood in shared bank, for warriors/SKs you can't do that obv so probably why it took until now for somebody to figure it out

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Yep, that's what I just did for my necro and it worked, destroy the original. For necro I only had to test it by putting the slime blood in shared bank, for warriors/SKs you can't do that obv so probably why it took until now for somebody to figure it out

According to some necromancer on my server who tested it, the old drops no longer work and if you try to do the turn in, MQ or not, it eats it. That is unnecessarily punitive, but I am glad that he warned me. I had a couple of old Soul Leech swords of MQ, and the night that they put the Harbinger in game I looted a Ball of Everliving Golem off of Terror, so that was wasted. I don't know the respawn on this chap or whatever, I just hope that it doesn't turn into a massive clusterfuck.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Lol that was me you were talking to dude, Necrobot and thats what I posted on the EQ forums, a dev responded to it right away saying they would look into it

si
Apr 26, 2004
Tremendously stupid question but, is it safe to /testbuff a raid copy, or will it eat items?

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Its safe

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Genuinely sorry if this sounds entitled, but does anyone have any of those droppable TDS rares that they could copy to Test for a 105 enchanter? I can't find any kind of database for them, but apparently there are some tradable, rare drops from named mobs in TDS that have about 3500 HP/Mana each, and so on. I didn't know if there were any wheelers & dealers on FV or wherever that might have some that they could duplicate for me. Just to give you an idea, there is a nice earring called Brigand's Hoop. I have one thanks to a generous guildmate, but they are not Lore and another one would be a substantial upgrade.

Again, apologies if I seem greedy, but a relatively small number of my guildmates are active in TDS and we are nowhere close to be able to raid there, but there is not much else I can do to improve my gear at this point. I have a hodge-podge of TDS rares, 4 pieces of T1 Rain of Fear, one piece of Tier 2, and so on.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
That reminds me that I'd love to see the stats of a raid geared character at level 60 back in the day. I've been doing the enchanter epic 1.0 just for kicks because I've played on and off for about 12 years but never done one. My new duo of enc and druid(60) w/mercs are just owning poo poo left and right which it took groups of people to do way back when. I've been farming Hate for a drop and seeing tons of what must have been uber poo poo with 3 int etc and I can't even remember caring even back then about 3 in a stat.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rapacity posted:

That reminds me that I'd love to see the stats of a raid geared character at level 60 back in the day. I've been doing the enchanter epic 1.0 just for kicks because I've played on and off for about 12 years but never done one. My new duo of enc and druid(60) w/mercs are just owning poo poo left and right which it took groups of people to do way back when. I've been farming Hate for a drop and seeing tons of what must have been uber poo poo with 3 int etc and I can't even remember caring even back then about 3 in a stat.

Moonstone rings, +30 mana. High end poo poo!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Herv posted:

e: RIP EQMAC and original spell effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpq2CCuNMgI

I wish I could still have old spell effects enabled without trouble, I still recognize them much more easily than the current stuff.

Mez, heal, lifetap, cleric buffs, it's so much quicker for my brain to process the old effects.

Node fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 1, 2015

si
Apr 26, 2004

Would like to point out dis guy is awesome. That is all.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Node posted:

I wish I could still have old spell effects enabled without trouble, I still recognize them much more easily than the current stuff.

Mez, heal, lifetap, cleric buffs, it's so much quicker for my brain to process the old effects.

If you use the official launcher, yeah its just not worth it. I have used WinEQ2 for a long time, and recently Innerspace (thanks Pilz) to launch my clients so I only have to delete the spellsnew.eff and spellsnew.edd once in every so often.

I save this quickie command and yank em in a single click, if this helps out:

C:\Windows>del "c:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest\spellsnew.*"

The pixel density is nuts, looks like a raid is going off but its just the group getting down. :)

e: YT mangles my fraps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4GTOjPOnc

Herv fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 1, 2015

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Looks like more bonus exp time this weekend.

Holly Longdale ‏@TheWindstalker 20m20 minutes ago

We've got Bonus XP weekends coming for #eq2 and #everquest starting tomorrow 12pm PDT until Monday 9am PDT. (AA, TS, Adv XP in EQ2.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

jetz0r posted:

Looks like more bonus exp time this weekend.

Holly Longdale ‏@TheWindstalker 20m20 minutes ago

We've got Bonus XP weekends coming for #eq2 and #everquest starting tomorrow 12pm PDT until Monday 9am PDT. (AA, TS, Adv XP in EQ2.)

Not that I am complaining, but it seems odd to do that right after a prolonged bonus experience event. I know that this is Easter weekend, but it still seems rather arbitrary. Still, more experience is always better.

I wish that they would do a bonus SC weekend or something like that. Maybe DayBreak banned them because they are greedy pricks, but I have a few things I would like to buy.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Used free SC to get a double faction potion for DoN progression but finished with about 3 hours left on it, gimme some recommendations on how best to use the rest goon sires

Already did dranik loyalist, and its for a SK

Vag Assault Weapon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 2, 2015

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Used free SC to get a double faction potion for DoN progression but finished with about 3 hours left on it, gimme some recommendations on how best to use the rest goon sires

Already did dranik loyalist, and its for a SK

Coldain faction for shawl?

PoWar faction. Uhhh... Not sure what other factions matter at 105 for an SK.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

An anonymous goon gave me the raid version of the shawl aug when the nodrop was going on, but this is also my character Im going from classic to whatever expansion I cant anymore doing every progression stuff, so maybe theres a rep in there that I can cheese with this potion? Right now Im just sitting in POK so the timer doesnt go down, still 3 hours left if anybody can think of anything

And hey dijital, I need my SEoC mq!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Rapacity posted:

Here's a little sample. This was during late Velious or Luclin, and I (Rogue) wasn't top geared, more like medium (but raid) geared.

Doing Dain.

In NToV, but probably with resist gear (it's showing the gear of the gnome I'm inspecting, but my stats).

Still, don't forget that they have most likely changed the combat tables and such since then, so that a level 60 char with the same gear now is probably much more powerful. I don't really think you can compare 'em, not to mention that mercs are insane at lower/mid levels.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey apparently there is going to be a new progression server and I am getting dragged back into this game again?

si
Apr 26, 2004
Courtesy of the dead vag, I now have 2 100 chars well geared out on Test. If any of you folks who came back to mess around on Test want to try and slay some orcs, come forth!

Also, dude is awesome, if you're on the fence of dropping in to test to get your nostalgia on, now is a good time.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

cheesetriangles posted:

Hey apparently there is going to be a new progression server and I am getting dragged back into this game again?

Yeah -- I'm pretty excited about it. If it's anything like the last servers, it'll be modern EQ mechanics/class advancement/no race or class XP penalties/possibly newbie gear, but in the (mostly) old world. For instance, I think new Freeport was still on the first progression servers, for instance.

If we're really lucky they'll instance raids too. Basically Project 99 except for people with lives.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

boho posted:

If we're really lucky they'll instance raids too. Basically Project 99 except for people with lives.

If that were the case, I might actually try it. Early EQ was slow, tedious, and punitive, and the fact that people was nostalgic about it kind of shows the power of nostalgia more than anything. There is a reason that, when WoW came along, it slaughtered EQ. I understand when people said that it was too easy and so on, but a lot of that just comes from bitterness and hating on people who don't have to spend 20 minutes medding to full and lose half a days experience from death.

More likely, though, they will try to recreate pure early EQ, people will flock to it, and then all but the true masochists will quickly realise that early EQ was pants and do something else.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

JustJeff88 posted:

If that were the case, I might actually try it. Early EQ was slow, tedious, and punitive, and the fact that people was nostalgic about it kind of shows the power of nostalgia more than anything. There is a reason that, when WoW came along, it slaughtered EQ. I understand when people said that it was too easy and so on, but a lot of that just comes from bitterness and hating on people who don't have to spend 20 minutes medding to full and lose half a days experience from death.

More likely, though, they will try to recreate pure early EQ, people will flock to it, and then all but the true masochists will quickly realise that early EQ was pants and do something else.

To be fair, the legends of how "slow, tedious, and punitive" EQ was are as exaggerated as the rose-colored nostalgia of True Fans. Arguably they feed off each other.

The EQ team has already done progression servers before, and they followed modern mechanics minus features added in expansions. So at the start there were no AAs, Mercenaries, Bazaar, or Potion Belt, but there was also no race or class XP penalties. I think it stuck to spells by expansion too -- for instance, Enchanters didn't have Breeze and Wizards didn't have the Lures at release.

Worst thing about the first run was a hard 2% XP per kill cap to simulate "classic" leveling (theoretically because re-doing the XP curve was too much work). In practice it made low levels agonizingly slow and higher levels a breeze in comparison to classic. On the other hand it made grouping from level 1 the best way to level, which did have some social appeal. Also overpopulation was a big problem at first, and they decided to pass on instancing raids (blame the community there).

si
Apr 26, 2004

boho posted:

To be fair, the legends of how "slow, tedious, and punitive" EQ was are as exaggerated as the rose-colored nostalgia of True Fans. Arguably they feed off each other.

The EQ team has already done progression servers before, and they followed modern mechanics minus features added in expansions. So at the start there were no AAs, Mercenaries, Bazaar, or Potion Belt, but there was also no race or class XP penalties. I think it stuck to spells by expansion too -- for instance, Enchanters didn't have Breeze and Wizards didn't have the Lures at release.

Worst thing about the first run was a hard 2% XP per kill cap to simulate "classic" leveling (theoretically because re-doing the XP curve was too much work). In practice it made low levels agonizingly slow and higher levels a breeze in comparison to classic. On the other hand it made grouping from level 1 the best way to level, which did have some social appeal. Also overpopulation was a big problem at first, and they decided to pass on instancing raids (blame the community there).

I had a very different experience, and the "slow, tedius, punitive" was definitely true. The server I happened to pick had a very heavy 'good' population and a very small 'evil' population, and I happened to choose dark elf. What that meant is that groups were hard to come by in general, and made worse by timezone. Early Vanilla was nearly impossible to solo, so any time you couldn't put a decent group together, you were basically boned.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
"Punitive" is exactly the right word to describe early EQ and is the main reason people have such strong and fond memories of the very early game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Rapacity posted:

"Punitive" is exactly the right word to describe early EQ and is the main reason people have such strong and fond memories of the very early game.

That to me is like saying the fond memories one has of an abusive parent. I have a lot of good EQ memories, but I have tons of bad ones of long, tedious grinds, rear end in a top hat players made worse by shortage of resources and overpopulated servers, lost corpses and gear and so on. I want to explore and see things and have adventures while developing a character. If killing the same mobs hundreds of times for one yellow bubble in a hell level and then having to beg a necro to summon your corpse because Trakanon glitched through a wall is your idea of fun, then I have no reply to that. There is a reason that that type of game has been supplanted and EQ these days is much less spiteful - people don't like that.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Sorry if I triggered you or something?? I was just saying that early eq was out to get you and, like all difficult things, had a certain value.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Welp so much for the progression dream -- Daybreak has confirmed instancing will take too much in the way of resources, and there will be no GM presence on the server.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

boho posted:

Welp so much for the progression dream -- Daybreak has confirmed instancing will take too much in the way of resources, and there will be no GM presence on the server.

What, like instancing Nagafen, Trakanon, Veeshan's Peak, NToV? That would be retarded beyond belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don't give a poo poo about instancing but no GM's at all? What the gently caress.