Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

KaosMachina posted:

One Must Fall looks crazy fun.

Even better: 2097 has been freeware since 1999, and the download link still works on Diversions Entertainment archived page from 2002. I remember when I found that original page with the dev's announcement of that, but I can't find a copy of it. I've had that 6MB zip file with me ever since, though.

It started even earlier than that: A demo was made featuring just two characters after Street Fighter II hit it big. I found it on an old CD-ROM with a black label and blue letters named "Shareware '95" that had an assload of DOS and Windows games on it. The game's wiki page runs down OMF's brief history. I didn't play Battlegrounds because I heard it was crap compared to 2097, which is a huge shame.

I think the main guy behind OMF, Rob Elam, is currently at SOE as a Programmer.

Oh man, when they looked over the manual in the pre-game menu and the main menu music kicked in, it all came flooding back. MY CHILDHOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

I didn't play Battlegrounds because I heard it was crap compared to 2097, which is a huge shame.
I only played the demo, but it was probably the disappointment of the decade. :(

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Tae posted:

What do you mean, line by line?

I mean, there's a translation on GameFAQs that's every single line of dialogue, line-by-line. It's kind of jank, but it's a thing that's there.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/582124-super-robot-taisen-a/faqs
Two parts, translation guide for every single line of dialogue outside of battle scene exchanges.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Any time anyone says super robot wars I can only think of the tv show Robot Wars with Craig Charles. If they never had that in Canada its a national tragedy.

The Kins posted:

I only played the demo, but it was probably the disappointment of the decade. :(

I never played the first game but I remember absolutely loving the demo for Battlegrounds. Maybe it was because I was like 12 at the time.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

AXE COP posted:

Any time anyone says super robot wars I can only think of the tv show Robot Wars with Craig Charles. If they never had that in Canada its a national tragedy.

That show owned hard before it became a competition to see who could build the flattest ramp.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Goddamn, I know they're starting bloodborne but Front Mission/Xenogears is so tempting to never see as a full LP.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Some quality making GBS threads on Pat in this Xenogears vid.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Xenogears: The Zaibatsu Gets Racist

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i cannot wait to watch this xenogears vid

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Never really got the hype for Xenogears, I played it for like 10 hours and it was just the most boring poo poo, way too many random battles and they were all incredibly trivial, just mash out whatever attacks you want it literally doesn't matter, felt like there was no strategy and at no point did the story get interesting enough to keep me interested so I gave up. Can anyone explain the appeal other than 'there's some cool mechs'.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think you're just straight up not interested in the genre and style if you thought the story was boring

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, this video made me want to go back and play Xenogears again. But I also want to go back and play Front Mission 3! But I also also want to go and play Zone of the Enders 2!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like this week's Friendcast will have a special guest: Maffew from Botchamania!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
what's Botchamania?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Al-Saqr posted:

what's Botchamania?

http://botchamania.com/ enjoy

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

That's great. I can't wait to hear Matt's reaction to Triple H's amazing entrance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFnrFga_A0I

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Pat and Woolie go on a Victorian Adventure

http://superbestfriendsplay.com/video/best-friends-vs-bloodborne-part-1/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpCcMf70kx8

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It begins.

The great LP of our time.

:stare:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
How is Pat spouting incorrect poo poo as fact on a game he's playing for the first time?!

Simply incredible

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It begins.

The great LP of our time.

:stare:

I just got my hands on Bloodborne today and if the Dark Souls 2 LP is anything to go by, they're going to have a hell of a time making progress. :v:

Blockhouse posted:

How is Pat spouting incorrect poo poo as fact on a game he's playing for the first time?!

Simply incredible

It's funny that he keeps doing this and then complains that the channel's comments are constantly pointing out his mistakes/making him feel dumb.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Simply incredible

Cramming 5 bullets stupidly into storage, ignoring half the tutorial poo poo, and almost missing that first note in the clinic bodes well for things to come. Maybe he'll stop playing like a spaz when they get out of the demo zone

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Perfect Potato posted:

Cramming 5 bullets stupidly into storage, ignoring half the tutorial poo poo, and almost missing that first note in the clinic bodes well for things to come. Maybe he'll stop playing like a spaz when they get out of the demo zone

There's probably also a healthy dose of "this will be just like Dark Souls" which is probably making him cocky about the tutorial and will come back to bite him later.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Everything with the werewolf was hilarious though

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Everything with the werewolf was hilarious though

Yeah, fighting so hard to survive a suppose-to-lose thing, but I guess the way they did it works too. Considering how much they got blatantly wrong or just plain missed, this LP is probably going to be pretty painful but also funny.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
why am i not surprised that dark souls players are making GBS threads on someone making mistakes in the literal first time they have ever played the game

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

AXE COP posted:

why am i not surprised that dark souls players are making GBS threads on someone making mistakes in the literal first time they have ever played the game

They have played demos of this part of the game apparently and they're also just skimming over or ignoring most of the stuff that explains the mechanics, which is what people are taking issue with.

But yes of course, it's time for the annual Best Friends thread whining about Dark Souls fans.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AXE COP posted:

As a person who has never touched Bloodborne, many of his mistakes were really obvious. Like ignoring tutorials.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The only mistake that actually annoyed me was Pat completely getting how storage works wrong.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
gosh why aren't they standing and fighting this werewolf, don't they know they're supposed to lose??

guys they nearly missed this barely visible pickup because they were too busy getting familiar with the mechanics, what a bunch of poo poo babies

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Wiseblood posted:

The only mistake that actually annoyed me was Pat completely getting how storage works wrong.

this was kind of annoying though ya

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

AXE COP posted:

gosh why aren't they standing and fighting this werewolf, don't they know they're supposed to lose??

guys they nearly missed this barely visible pickup because they were too busy getting familiar with the mechanics, what a bunch of poo poo babies

I agree the monster thing wasn't super clear, but still they're ignoring information the game just gives you because "I read this in an article a few months ago" or "it was like this in other games." They're not that unfamiliar with the mechanics - Pat was even talking about how he'd already played through that level and fought the boss of the area before.

It's weird because these kinds of complaints were perfectly fine when the game was stuff like Evil Within.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No but you see, Evil Within is totally a bad game so that's different! Totally! Now let me just ignore instructions and hoard up all this ammo I'll never use...

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
I'm glad that Souls fans are here to get upset over Pat storing 5 bullets and not dying to the first enemy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was just talking about the storage thing I don't know what the gently caress you guys are talking about the running away from the werewolf was GREAT

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

There was a completely unnecessary combat roll at 19:30 and I nearly had to turn the video off after seeing it. Nice job Pat, you're totally the "dark souls expert" :rolleyes:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Rhonne posted:

That's great. I can't wait to hear Matt's reaction to Triple H's amazing entrance.

this was the hypest i have been all of 2015 it was great. like it was simultaneously the most awesome and silly thing i've ever seen and i loved it

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Rhonne posted:

It's officially part of the lore now that when Judgment Day comes HHH will kill Terminators and wear their bodies as a disguise to kill more Terminators and save humanity.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whatever they'll figure it out eventually. Are they doing bloodborne videos everyday? I don't remember what they said on the podcast.

bloodborne is awesome and it gets loving crazy in the tail end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

According to a lot of people, the main game itself isn't nearly as long as Dark Souls if you don't do the Chalice Dungeon. Also, there's no DLC which added a poo poo ton of hours into the DS2 run. Of course, loading times may make up for all that, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Bloodborne is fantastic and the handing over the controller gimmick will be fun