Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I've only really seen the last half of season 4 and this one, but I liked it enough. I thought that the ending of the last episode was stronger than the finale as there was more catharsis and relative ambiguity to what is right, morally or practically. This one seemed quite tidy in that it all more or less worked out for the best for everyone involved. I always think it's more interesting to have characters undertake actions that come into question that entire character rather than simply dying, and I would maybe have been more interested in seeing Rick and company just be always right all the time. They seem to say if you are willing to do anything to survive you will lose humanity, but there is no evidence that they lack humanity. I think without following through on the consequences of absolute survival, they are just a bunch of characters waiting to be killed off. I think this brings a limbo like quality to the show, where the plot exists purely for the purpose of killing characters. I hated all of the story with the priest and Sasha as it came from nothing and having zero consequences. At least the hospital plot from earlier in the series gave the illusion of mattering at the time, even though most characters involved in that story are now irrelevant. I feel as though through the inevitability of the priests death, I don't give a poo poo about him. And when I don't care about a third of the episode, I'm not that engaged, which is a shame as I mostly liked the episode, especially the food factory stuff, and this season in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I like how the Wolves were built up as some huge threat but actually its just a pair of gamergaters.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't think glenn being shot in the shoulder and not murdering nick will turn out for the best.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Vitamin P posted:

I like how the Wolves were built up as some huge threat but actually its just a pair of gamergaters.

Pretty sure that's just a few of them

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I don't watch enough shows, but Aaron is probably the best gay rear end-kicking guy I've ever seen. Not to say he's perfect, but there's much to like about him. He doesn't seem like the writers trying to paint against the cliche. He just seems like a dude who kills zombies using improvised weapons like the best of them, and also likes guys.

And of course, still gay enough to make bad people angry at their TV.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cingulate posted:

Maybe I don't watch enough shows, but Aaron is probably the best gay rear end-kicking guy I've ever seen. Not to say he's perfect, but there's much to like about him. He doesn't seem like the writers trying to paint against the cliche. He just seems like a dude who kills zombies using improvised weapons like the best of them, and also likes guys.

Watch Spartacus as one of his generals is gay and kills Romans with the best of them.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Watch Spartacus as one of his generals is gay and kills Romans with the best of them.

And on the flip-side, Renly on Game of Thrones is gay and kills literally no one.

as an aside: I think it's really funny when people get mad on the internet about gay characters on TV shows and go off on rants about "agendas" and what not.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I liked this finale. It was good.

Not too intimidated by the villains in the next season after Morgan just casually kicked their asses and then basically pranked them by putting them on top of each other. Not that they would've been too intimidating even if they didn't get owned.

Gotta say though, this episode had a lot of things that had me rolling my eyes. The gate scene, Glenn being a superhuman, the truckloads of teleport zombies, the "plan" to fight your way out of a car that has 5 zombies leaning against each door and the transition from a bright day to a pitch black night takes 5 minutes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Marshmallow Blue posted:

And on the flip-side, Renly on Game of Thrones is gay and kills literally no one.

as an aside: I think it's really funny when people get mad on the internet about gay characters on TV shows and go off on rants about "agendas" and what not.

Yeah but his lover was killed by a vagina monster.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Not too intimidated by the villains in the next season after Morgan just casually kicked their asses and then basically pranked them by putting them on top of each other. Not that they would've been too intimidating even if they didn't get owned.

Gotta say though, this episode had a lot of things that had me rolling my eyes. The gate scene, Glenn being a superhuman, the truckloads of teleport zombies, the "plan" to fight your way out of a car that has 5 zombies leaning against each door and the transition from a bright day to a pitch black night takes 5 minutes.

I love how he kicks their butts in 2 rounds, tells them to just go away 10 times then kicks their butt again. What did they think would happen? Pick your battles Bros!!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Carol has gotten 1000% better since she implemented her policy of executing small children

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cingulate posted:

The only thing i don't like about him is that he's got a bit of a Garth Ennis face about him. Every time I see him i can't not see it.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Gortarius posted:

Not too intimidated by the villains in the next season after Morgan just casually kicked their asses and then basically pranked them by putting them on top of each other. Not that they would've been too intimidating even if they didn't get owned..

He should've like tied their shoelaces together. Put their hands down each other pants, that kind of thing. Sharpie mustaches.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

I feel like half the people that claim to hate watch this show never finished Sons of Anarchy. Now that's some poo poo.

People finished sons of anarchy?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sylink posted:

I enjoyed the episode until the plan 9 moment where rick ran across town so slowly it became the middle of the night.

I give them some credit, but I have a feeling that was directly tied to the budget not allowing them to film at dusk. It happens to a lot of shows.

I can't blame the show for it. I can say gently caress AMC.

Kelly posted:

Seth Gilliam was incredible on The Wire. On this show...he is awful, awful, awful.

I completely disagree. I might have at first, but not anymore.

I think he's an actor that is acutely aware his character is an awful person and totally loving nuts. He is playing Gabriel exactly how someone who can't make a single decision before immediately going into sob & cry mode and changing his mind two times.

I'm actually giving him props for it now. Gabriel is obnoxious, but he is written obnoxious, and he's taking that to 100%.

Scrapez posted:

Nah. He just wanted to make sure they were tied up and couldn't come after him. Dude is squarely in the "all life is precious" camp, even when it comes to shitbags.

That is what will be interesting as next season moves along. How will Morgan's philosophy fit in with the "everyone not us is trying to kill us" mentality of Rick and his group as well as the rest of the camp now after Rick's speech and demonstration.

I just realized now that they picked up a level 100 Monk, they won't need their Level 2 Priest anymore.

Akumos posted:

Anyone else find it kind of jarring that Carol just randomly transformed into Rambo throughout the series despite leading a boring housewife life? She's seriously deadlier now than everyone.

I think she's awesome, because she's had character development. Like, she's the only character with a clear arc.

She got a little tougher after her husband died, went into a shell after Sophia, came back out at the Prison insisting she needs to learn to fight - initial reactions from most people in the thread was "what an idiot, look at her, she doesn't belong out there." Then she got better and better at it despite nearly dying a few times, and better, and eventually she became the highly pragmatic (killing sick people, trying to get Andrea to slit the Governor's throat, etc.) Carol we have now. Slap on a bunch of fighting and killing she's run towards instead of away from... oh and she pretty much hangs around learning techniques from everyone from Daryl to Rick over the last few seasons. I'm sure more off-screen.

Yeah. I think Carol being a badass is awesome. She's really a unique character at this point and I don't want her to die as a result; you can't just toss another older woman that's a hardened badass into the show and not have it feel cheap, where Carol earned the spot over the last few years. Between her unassuming tactics and cold-as-ice attitude, she's more fleshed out and interesting than ninety percent of the cast.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 30, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Deakul posted:

It is the end of season 5 and people STILL have this loving mindset. :negative:

So glad I gave up on this show in season 3.

I'd like it to get better. But I enjoy how it keeps not getting better too. I find it incredibly interesting.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Blazing Ownager posted:

I give them some credit, but I have a feeling that was directly tied to the budget not allowing them to film at dusk. It happens to a lot of shows.

I can't blame the show for it. I can say gently caress AMC.

I don't think AMC funds the sky. "Oh no, AMC cut the budget this season, now we get ten minutes less dusk everyday!"

This was already an extra long episode with a ton of extras and different locations and visual effects and gore and stuff. Filming a scene at dusk just to satisfy internet nerds who aren't satisfied with "it got dark pretty quick" and will find something, anything to bitch about is pretty low on the DP's priority list.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Iowa Snow King posted:

He should've like tied their shoelaces together. Put their hands down each other pants, that kind of thing. Sharpie mustaches.

I hate rent a cops too!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

boom boom boom posted:

I don't think AMC funds the sky. "Oh no, AMC cut the budget this season, now we get ten minutes less dusk everyday!"

This was already an extra long episode with a ton of extras and different locations and visual effects and gore and stuff. Filming a scene at dusk just to satisfy internet nerds who aren't satisfied with "it got dark pretty quick" and will find something, anything to bitch about is pretty low on the DP's priority list.

No, it's legit. subtle lighting changes are still really obvious so filming at dusk or dawn is really tough from a continuity perspective. If you have a really tight window to shoot things then you have to wait a full 24 hours before you can reshoot, which costs money.

it's still a dumb thing to be upset about - just use suspension of disbelief. it's a zombie show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

You don't understand how expensive filming during the day, in particular as the sun is going down, is. You only have a few minutes to make takes, and you need to shoot the same scene over several days. It's why outdoor filming was a big thing AMC screwed them on starting in season 2.

The only option is those lovely Day for Night shots, and they always look absolutely horrible.

So yes, AMC cutting the budget can directly make filming a scene at Dusk several times as expensive.

Poque posted:

it's still a dumb thing to be upset about - just use suspension of disbelief. it's a zombie show.

I don't think "it's a zombie show" should ever be used as an excuse, but because I'm aware of the behind the scenes bullshit, I am not going to fault anyone developed in the creation of the show or let it hammer my enjoyment of said show, just groan and go "Come on, this show prints money, let them have one loving dusk scene."

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Cingulate posted:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Omar is truly the most awesome gay character.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I did, God help me. Even a weak episode of TWD looks like The Wire compared to latter seasons of SOA.

I also agree on Omar being the most badass gay tv character.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrAviTy84 posted:

In case anyone is interested, here is that final scene in the comics. It's pretty much verbatim except for the character shifts the show has made:

http://imgur.com/a/djGnZ

Kind of surprised by the character shifts actually. Anyone concerned this has spoilers, only for the comics, like Gravity84 said - it's a very similar scene.

I actually think the TV version plays off way better. Rick sounds like a downright reasonable, well spoken person in the comic version; coming in covered in gore and barely talking while lacing it with threats like some kind of feral alley cat you've adopted was much more interesting.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

The CGI ending made it totally worth it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Yah. The show had it's problems, especially the middle seasons. I'm glad I finished it though.

The ending, I can understand, being perceived as weak, was incredibly due to the fact they wrote themselves into a trap that no one could escape from.

So arms out, face first into a Semi it is!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Austrian mook posted:

Really good finale, this thread is still full of loving idiots.

Pretty sure most people agree. This isn't like the Beth mid-season finale that deserved nothing but the hate it got. Between that an Tyreese, they might be two of the most mishandled character deaths I've ever seen. And Tyreese didn't even get an otherwise interesting episode out of his.

Really the show seems like it's firing on the most cylinders it has in a while. I'm looking forward to next season.. amazingly it actually improved when they got to a new static location, something the show's history has had the reverse of.

Cingulate posted:

I think the best decision they made with him is not letting it define his character. Usually when a character comes out as gay in a show, they do nothing but constantly remind the audience that they are gay either through stupid actions (Like the Applesauce thing, so far the only incident of that) or constant jokes/comments about how drat gay they are.

To my knowledge, Aaron has never even said a thing about it. He just is, and is open about it but basically has completely avoided the trap of ending up the "token gay friend" by not addressing it as either whacky or 'DRAMA BOMB.' He also has a lot more personality and character traits beyond being the gay guy*

* On that note, I give his boyfriend about 3 episodes into next season to live, as so far he has fallen very much into the "My only trait is being the frail gay guy" trope. Maybe we'll start a new show within the show, Gay Highlander. Gaylander.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 30, 2015

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Spoeank posted:

He very clearly had no blood on him but then again I actually watch things before trying to discern motivation and discuss plot points but hey what do I know

They needed the gun. They needed to lean on each other to get back. Glenn's other shoulder is hosed up so he can't use it. What was he supposed to do? He very clearly showed Nick that he was outmatched and that he would/could kill him if he wanted to. At that point it's pretty safe to say he no longer posed a threat to Glenn.

In the shot where he is walking up to the gate on the way back in there is clearly a rather large patch of blood on his right sleeve near the wrist. Maybe it disappeared between shots, but it was definitely there in that one shot.

Nick could just shoot him in the face/torso in a split second. Glen "outmatching" him doesn't make Glen bulletproof.

Stop defending the dumb poo poo in this show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought this was an improvement over the up and down quality of the episodes since they came back from break. There was some actual character development, where you had Rick and Glenn, among others, realizing that strength in numbers is the only real way to survive (which is how they've done it for years at this point).

I'm glad they decided to actually do something with Gabriel and Sasha, since it sure seemed like both of them were reaching the end. It was good of the writers to show that yeah, that kind of trauma is going to break a person. We saw it with Rick after Lori died, and Morgan after he lost his son.

I really hope they keep Morgan around as a main cast member for next season. Lennie James was the best thing about Jericho, a forgotten show that I really liked.

I do still think that the cast is going to have to be trimmed down, since a bunch of the 'main' group are barely getting screen time at this point.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do still think that the cast is going to have to be trimmed down

WOLVES ARE NEAR

I think we're going to see a lot of characters drop soon enough.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

spudsbuckley posted:

In the shot where he is walking up to the gate on the way back in there is clearly a rather large patch of blood on his right sleeve near the wrist. Maybe it disappeared between shots, but it was definitely there in that one shot.

Nick could just shoot him in the face/torso in a split second. Glen "outmatching" him doesn't make Glen bulletproof.

Stop defending the dumb poo poo in this show.

Once Nick displayed the testicular fortitude to make the effort to kill someone for his own benefit, rather than just abandon them to save his life, he became worthy to join Rick's Manson Family.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Just don't kill Carol or Michonne and I don't care who goes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was pretty surprised that even with an extra-long season finale no one died. I guess they might just do what they did with the prison and off a bunch of people at once, the beginning of next season...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Kind of surprised by the character shifts actually. Anyone concerned this has spoilers, only for the comics, like Gravity84 said - it's a very similar scene.

I actually think the TV version plays off way better. Rick sounds like a downright reasonable, well spoken person in the comic version; coming in covered in gore and barely talking while lacing it with threats like some kind of feral alley cat you've adopted was much more interesting.

I think the gender shift was mostly cause Deanna's actor owns and is doing a hell of a job. They probably were playing with the idea and during a cold read she owned it and they rolled with it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poque posted:

Just don't kill Carol or Michonne and I don't care who goes.

Carol or Eugene, you mean, right?

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think the gender shift was mostly cause Deanna's actor owns and is doing a hell of a job. They probably were playing with the idea and during a cold read she owned it and they rolled with it.

I like it too. Honestly even her husband was a decent actor that had just enough scenes to make me go "poo poo!"

Honestly I think (surprisingly) everything in the TV version of the scene is superior to the comic version, though I suppose that could change with context if I had read the preceding issues. Rick seems like a very different character there.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 30, 2015

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was pretty surprised that even with an extra-long season finale no one died. I guess they might just do what they did with the prison and off a bunch of people at once, the beginning of next season...

Um, someone did die.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

spudsbuckley posted:

Um, someone did die.

Lol, you think people in this thread pay attention to a show they watch

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This looks like a television show ! It's unacceptable.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Technically 3 people died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

spudsbuckley posted:

But there isn't. :confused:

• Locked thread