Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Of course, I feel like if they're going to give people power ups, I wish they would do it for other people instead of Goku \ Vegeta.

One thing that always kinda bugged me about Dragon Ball was just how useless everyone was except for Goku. And it's been like this since day one - everyone thinks Goku is going to get curb stomped trying to fight the Red Ribbon Army all by himself, go to help him out and are surprised to find that he's already wiped them out entirely.

Vegeta, Gohan and Piccolo were pretty much the only people who weren't entirely poo poo-tier. And even then, Piccolo stopped being useful in a fight about halfway through the Cell saga. Which sucks, because Piccolo owns. They need to make him go Super Namekian 4 or something. Basically, by the end of DBZ, if you're not a Saiyan, you ain't worth poo poo.

Yeah, this is why Xenoverse owns so much. I like being able to make a non-Saiyan who can stand up for themselves. When I play as my slug dude I feel like I'm vindicating every Namekian who jobbed because the plot demanded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Isn't the entire point of the new movie/training under Weiss that they're unlocking god tier powers through training and not just using the dumb ritual?

This was just talking about how Battle of the Gods doesn't make GT impossible by itself with the concept of the God powerup. Resurrection F, by adding new data, reviving Frezia, etc., does make it impossible.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Obviously, this is what's in store come next movie. Goku becomes a Hyper Saiyan and fights Hyper Raditz in the rematch of the century.

Pan then finishes the fight with a Special Beam Cannon, just like Piccolo taught her.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair reviving Frieza by itself doesn't make it impossible, since for whatever reason Dragonball has never been much to referencing past events and we don't actually know how Golden Frieza works.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 31, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

StrifeHira posted:

Obviously, this is what's in store come next movie. Goku becomes a Hyper Saiyan and fights Hyper Raditz in the rematch of the century.

Pan then finishes the fight with a Special Beam Cannon, just like Piccolo taught her.

If he double jumps he kills everything on screen, nerf Goku for the good of humanity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Stallion Cabana posted:

This was just talking about how Battle of the Gods doesn't make GT impossible by itself with the concept of the God powerup. Resurrection F, by adding new data, reviving Frezia, etc., does make it impossible.

This is the most split of splitting hairs but sure, whatever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was rewatching DBZA (again) and just finished with the 2nd DBZ Kai Abridged episode. For the 3rd DBZ Kai Abridged episode, I have to wonder who will be the one (if there is someone) to say "I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was rewatching DBZA (again) and just finished with the 2nd DBZ Kai Abridged episode. For the 3rd DBZ Kai Abridged episode, I have to wonder who will be the one (if there is someone) to say "I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say".

Cell

I mean really is there any contest?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Cell

I mean really is there any contest?

I dunno, has Cell really been that quotable yet?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Brony Hunter posted:

BEEP

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

In the original Dragon Ball, after Goku beats piccolo and goes back to Korrin's tower, Korrin tells him that everyone Piccolo killed will be stuck in limbo unless the dragon revives them. Uhhh...? Why is this the case? Just some made up bullshit?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

"Wanna see me drink this guy!"

Also "This guys gonna kick my rear end,but-OH MY ASSBUTT"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Brony Hunter posted:

We've got plenty of time.

E: Semi-Perfect and Perfect will probably have their own bits.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mraagvpeine posted:

16. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

As of now, I'm only 'counting' Battle of Gods, since Resurrection F has only had the one preview screening and no concrete details yet.

Even in Battle of the Gods Goku's body 'remembered' God Ki.

Also I think the most quotable has been 17.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Only 16 can come close to the "funny and quotable" guy so far, but he's really more of a package deal with 17 and 18. Cell also had the bit with the DJs which I loved and I only expect him to get funnier.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is the RIGHT answer but I don't think people have latched on to him like Nappa and Guru.

^also yeah the Androids are a crew and Cell's gonna break them up :saddowns:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mabels big day posted:

In the original Dragon Ball, after Goku beats piccolo and goes back to Korrin's tower, Korrin tells him that everyone Piccolo killed will be stuck in limbo unless the dragon revives them. Uhhh...? Why is this the case? Just some made up bullshit?

By that point, Kami was God and Piccolo was the Devil, no questions asked. Everyone killed by the devil can't go to the afterlife.

This makes no sense after the series went sci-fi and Piccolo was now an alien, but by that time it did make sense.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Everyone, watch that gif while this video is open in another tab: http://youtu.be/OeZ-VIWLYHw

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xibanya posted:

Everyone, watch that gif while this video is open in another tab: http://youtu.be/OeZ-VIWLYHw

Wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voIbRtpPqKo

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

mabels big day posted:

It apparently has something to do with Asian mythology, where people killed by demons didn't go to the afterlife. There's actually a scene in the Saiyan saga where someone (Kami?) points out that Goku going to heaven after being Special Beam Cannon'd proves that Piccolo is going soft.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Even in Battle of the Gods Goku's body 'remembered' God Ki.

Also I think the most quotable has been 17.

So Goku's stronger now? That doesn't make GT non-canon.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can it really be "non-canon" when there's a multiverse involved?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can it really be "non-canon" when there's a multiverse involved?

Not really but it won't stop anyone from arguing.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
GT is the Timeline where Beerus got his pudding.

Problem solved.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Why is anyone worried about GT being canon? It was never canon to begin with.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm going to be honest, the blue hair isn't doing it for me. Gold is just a better color.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
vegeta spotted

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zzulu posted:

vegeta spotted

Best part of 'Mania was Triple H coming out dressed as some kind of Terminator hybrid but still getting judo tossed later by a chick in a Vegeta shirt.

Not that I'd gently caress with her any day of the week, mind you.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Why would you want GT to be canon

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That chick is Ronda Rousey, an MMA champ and Judo olympian and she's said she's a big fan of DBZ :allears:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Zzulu posted:

That chick is Ronda Rousey, an MMA champ and Judo olympian and she's said she's a big fan of DBZ :allears:

She also used to be a mod of a Pokemon forum and plays WoW when she isn't training for MMA and being a badass.

My dream woman. :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hivac posted:

Why would you want GT to be canon

This fine goon knows what's up.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'd like a reinterpretation of GT where Goten, Trunks, Mai, and her doggy ninja pal go on Space Adventures.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

projecthalaxy posted:

I'd like a reinterpretation of GT where Goten, Trunks, Mai, and her doggy ninja pal go on Space Adventures.
How does no one ever remember Shu's name? Shu & Mai. Shumai. With Pilaf, and maybe some Oolong or Puer tea. For Yamcha.

is it time for another debate about how seriously we're supposed to take Toriyama's writing, yet?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

I think if there's one thing that is truly immutable in Dragonball, it's that Shu and Mai are stuck with Pilaf.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm all up for Goten & Trunk's Excellent Adventure.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It would've been cooler if wrestlers were wearing DBZ clothes a decade ago when I last payed attention to pro wrestling but I guess now is ok too.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

By that point, Kami was God and Piccolo was the Devil, no questions asked. Everyone killed by the devil can't go to the afterlife.

This makes no sense after the series went sci-fi and Piccolo was now an alien, but by that time it did make sense.

It makes perfect sense because Kami and Piccolo being aliens doesn't affect them being god or a demon at all. Pretty much as soon as Kami is introduced we learn God is a title that's passed on and he even asks Goku to be the next one. Piccolo Daimao is both a Namekian and a demon since he's pretty much made of evil while Piccolo Jr. stops being a demon some time between DB and DBZ as he became less evil, Kami comments on it after Goku and Raditz are able to go to the afterlife.

And Toriyama has said Kami's alien origin was one of the few things he planned ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Besides even ignoring that part of it, how Gods and Demons work in DB is so ill defined its probably best not to think about it to hard.

As that way leads to madness.

• Locked thread