Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is such a bullshit way of thinking. There are obviously other options besides keeping them as caged performing animals or bunging them back in the sea and hoping for the best.

Pretty sure their point was that yes there are potentially options that aren't just keep them or kill them, but they're all massively expensive and that's a major issue.

The release of Keiko cost double figure millions, mostly funded by donations because of the publicity from Free Willy. The general public sure as poo poo aren't going to be raising the kind of funding they'd need for twenty or thirty anonymous whales these days, and I doubt Seaworld will be giving that generously either.

Maybe there's the possibility of transferring to a sanctuary deal where they can offset some of the costs by running whale tours, but at that point are they even any better off? Keiko went looking for humans after his release and was supposedly encouraging kids to ride on him. It's a lot of damage to undo. Do we have any goon cetacean psychologists who can expand on the subject?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Honestly in many places in america with a pop of under ~25k this is a real issue. Your choice is between Chili's, Subway and a terrible place that is only still in business because sometimes people get really tired of the Subway and decide to spend two dollars more at that place where the police chiefs DUI-happy daughter desperately tries to make some terrible hoagie she saw Rachel Ray make one time when she was waiting to get patched up in the ER a town over.

This hit so close to home that I have a black eye

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Whatev posted:

Reminds me of those awful HFCS commercials from a few years ago. Now I ain't really seen any scientific consensus that HFCS is really any worse for you than cane sugar, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ-ByUx552s
there is a 0% chance these slick, scummy ads did anything but reinforce the fears of skeptics and introduce skepticism to people who hitherto were ignorant to the claims against the goop.

The thing that's lovely about HFCS is that it's in everything, not that it's somewhat more unhealthy than regular sugar. I hated those commercials too.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbGJ360hBQw

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
There's no way that Sea World is going to get rid of the Orcas, they're just too connected brand-wise, so instead, they're doubling down with a $300 million expansion to their Orca area.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gann Jerrod posted:

There's no way that Sea World is going to get rid of the Orcas, they're just too connected brand-wise, so instead, they're doubling down with a $300 million expansion to their Orca area.

Haha, wow, they might as well just let the Orcas literally eat their money.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is such a bullshit way of thinking. There are obviously other options besides keeping them as caged performing animals or bunging them back in the sea and hoping for the best.

Let's hear them.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Dunno if it counts, since it looks like it might've been successful in a weird meta way, but recently a reluctant Ricky Gervais was given the task to promote Netflix to Australia: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/29/8308347/ricky-gervais-australian-netflix-ads

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theironjef posted:

Let's hear them.

This is not the thread. Go make a DnD thread if you're curious.

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

Captain Monkey posted:

This is not the thread. Go make a DnD thread if you're curious.

yes, this thread with the 30 page loving coffee derail can't have a brief orca discussion

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

lamey_whinehouse posted:

yes, this thread with the 30 page loving coffee derail can't have a brief orca discussion

No, it can't. Because it won't be brief, and it'll end in bans and thread closures. Do you not know goons at all?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I don't know why we bother taking care of the orcas anyway; they're the assholes that destroyed Stormwind during the first Great War.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Y

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No, it can't. Because it won't be brief, and it'll end in bans and thread closures. Do you not know goons at all?

yes, a discussion on a topic relevant to bad marketing and business decisions will render this thread unreadable, please take this discussion to the forum where everybody will nod in agreement then somehow shift gears into police reform

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

death .cab for qt posted:

yes, a discussion on a topic relevant to bad marketing and business decisions will render this thread unreadable, please take this discussion to the forum where everybody will nod in agreement then somehow shift gears into police reform

This, but unironically.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

death .cab for qt posted:

Y

I was making a joke. I don't know what you just made, but my cat is trying to bury it.

Note: that is also a joke. I do not own a cat, and do know what you made. It was a lovely post. :ms:

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I was making a joke. I don't know what you just made, but my cat is trying to bury it.

Note: that is also a joke. I do not own a cat, and do know what you made. It was a lovely post. :ms:

Shut up, idiot.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

Gann Jerrod posted:

Whales...

We could probably send a nasa team to explore Mercury for that price.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mercury's hot and there's fuckall there. 300 million please?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Go to Venus instead because it has scorpions.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

swims posted:

Whales...

We could probably send a nasa team to explore Mercury for that price.

This is such a bullshit way of thinking. There are obviously other options besides sending astronauts to a barren iron hellscape and letting them walk around looking for stuff and hoping for the best.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is such a bullshit way of thinking. There are obviously other options besides sending astronauts to a barren iron hellscape and letting them walk around looking for stuff and hoping for the best.

Agreed, send the orcas to Mercury.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What? That's stupid, everyone knows Orcas live on the moon.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Dare to dream big. We'll get orca corpses throughout the solar system one day.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Shut up, idiot.

Yeah, because you're a bastion of great posting.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, because you're a bastion of great posting.

Please take the slapfight elsewhere. We're in the middle of a discussion about slinging orcas around the galaxy here

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Dare to dream big. We'll get orca corpses throughout the solar system one day.

I think that with enough planning and focus we can have an orca in a stable orbit around Proxima Centauri in the next 25 to 30 years

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think that with enough planning and focus we can have an orca in a stable orbit around Proxima Centauri in the next 25 to 30 years

I think I remember that star trek

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

wasn't there some incident involving a whale and some flowers falling through space, i'm not convinced orcas are good at doing the orbit thing

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

DrBouvenstein posted:

Given the recent revelations about Sea World's Orca treatment, it somehow makes that particular South Park's ending a lot less sad.

At least the Orca no longer suffered. :unsmith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Saddest Rhino posted:

wasn't there some incident involving a whale and some flowers falling through space, i'm not convinced orcas are good at doing the orbit thing

That was originally a bomb. Doesn't really count. Whales make poor bombs.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That was a sperm whale. An Orca would require significantly less boost to get to orbit velocity, which you'd know if you were reading the Spaceflight thread in SAL.

The failure of the petunias is another matter entirely unrelated to whale-based astrophysics.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

DrBouvenstein posted:

No they don't. I've seen a documentary about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doJj5hKyXuw

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

That was a sperm whale. An Orca would require significantly less boost to get to orbit velocity, which you'd know if you were reading the Spaceflight thread in SAL.

The failure of the petunias is another matter entirely unrelated to whale-based astrophysics.

To be fair they were never even propelled to begin with.

Well, unless you count gravity.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

That laugh at the end.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

theironjef posted:

Let's hear them.

http://www.orcanetwork.org/Main/index.php?categories_file=Retirement

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To be fair they were never even propelled to begin with.

Well, unless you count gravity.

They were right up until the last instant that they were missiles. So the whale and bowl of petunias at least had a very high initial velocity. But yes, they were never propelled.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I have to love that Microsoft's answer to Siri is to use the softcore nerdbait chick from Halo, and then try to market her to the general public.

"HI THERE! WANT ME TO SET YOU UP A DINNER RESERVATION? MY TRON TITTIES CAN DO ANYTHING FOR YOU."

What's next, Hatsune Miku for the pedophile anime crowd?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They've also named their new web browser 'Spartan'. Now, alright, there are plenty of other places that name could have come from, but I don't think it's a coincidence.

Windows Halo Edition

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

There are entire R&D departments whose unspoken mission is to get us to that level of waifu technology. There are some Japanese companies that make it more explicit, but rest assured everywhere there are tons of undersexed STEM dudes there is an undercurrent of working towards that day when every man gets some form of robot/AI sex slave.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This sounds like the start to an Event Horizon sequel