Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

lotharr posted:

I think you'll find for most of the time the Australian team couldn't give a rats about what people think of them because it's honestly working a treat and why would they stop now. Being the nicest doesn't get you 5 WC trophys to sit in the governing bodys trophy room.

The behaviour of Australia only comes up in the following circumstances really

Australia beats India
Its an Ashes years and the poms need to have a whinge about Australian cricket in the lead up
Australia wins the world cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

This is now a Sincere Post:

I don't think Australian cricket should be apologetic about anything, either. There isn't anything wrong about the way they play. It's within the rules and the onus is on the other teams to deal with their intensity. But I think Australian cricket should be self-aware and acknowledge that their on-field mannerisms will lead to some amount of criticism, much of it being fair criticism. This will tend to be louder when Australia win things because of the nature of human envy and jealousy.

The best response to such criticism is to shrug and acknowledge that it's the way Australia play the international game, perhaps with a pointed comment about how their style wins World Cups and Ashes Series 5-0. The only thing people hate worse than an obnoxiously successful team is an obnoxiously successful team that is concerned about its public perception and that wants other people to like and admire them.

On these last few pages I think we have seen a lot of false equivalencies, along with the odd idea that One James Anderson has the same effect on a cricket match as Eleven Australians. Embrace being the villains of the cricket world who antagonize Englishmen with your mere presence. There are a lot of trophies in it.

Basically this.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The behaviour of Australia only comes up in the following circumstances really

Australia beats India
Its an Ashes years and the poms need to have a whinge about Australian cricket in the lead up
Australia wins the world cup.

It gets called regularly on those situations because they're the only loving teams you play these days. If you think Australia would suddenly change their behaviour hosting any other team you're retarded.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Gough Suppressant posted:

Their fans sure as gently caress seem to care a lot though.

Yeah - the problem is they have nothing to do now that the winning is over and done with I suppose. What else can they go on about until the next series...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Scylo posted:

Ahmed, Voges and Nevill are all in the Ashes/West Indies squad. All good choices, surprised they went with Voges tbh given his age.

Ahmed got called to the squad? That's awesome. Hopefully he's good enough for tests

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Wow look at all this shitposting. You should all make like Glenn Maxwell and leave.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Ewar Woowar posted:

It gets called regularly on those situations because they're the only loving teams you play these days. If you think Australia would suddenly change their behaviour hosting any other team you're retarded.

No it's just nobody would care if we sledged a Pakistani player. We just played them in a test series and there wasn't much said about mean Aussies.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

quote:

Australia's Frank Worrell Trophy/Ashes squad
Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith (vc), Fawad Ahmed, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris (Ashes only), Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson

No tasmanians. Go windies, england etc.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I'm basically Guyana whenever Carl Hooper was dropped.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

gabensraum posted:

I'm basically Guyana whenever Carl Hooper was dropped.

a no hooper

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
A bit weird for people to have a go at Haddin for sarcastically clapping but loving Wahab for doing the exact same thing to Watson. I mean, nobody likes Watson and thats ok, but in the grand scheme of things both gestures are pretty harmless and shouldn't really be discussed in the same breath as racial abuse or physical violence which are both actually fairly rare occurrences.

Cricket overall has a pretty decent track record when it comes to issues of race and violence compared to say, soccer or football.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Seams posted:

A bit weird for people to have a go at Haddin for sarcastically clapping but loving Wahab for doing the exact same thing to Watson. I mean, nobody likes Watson and thats ok, but in the grand scheme of things both gestures are pretty harmless and shouldn't really be discussed in the same breath as racial abuse or physical violence which are both actually fairly rare occurrences.

Cricket overall has a pretty decent track record when it comes to issues of race and violence compared to say, soccer or football.

I can't imagine top blokes like Darren Lehmann or Dean Jones ever doing racism.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

No it's just nobody would care if we sledged a Pakistani player. We just played them in a test series and there wasn't much said about mean Aussies.

Tough even for Australia to give it the bigun when they're getting that badly hammered

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
#banter #thirsty

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I sure hope Ahmed is good enough to replace Lyon. Would be nice to have a spinner again.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Airstream Driver posted:

I sure hope Ahmed is good enough to replace Lyon. Would be nice to have a spinner again.

Lyon has to be the most unappreciated good player Australia's ever had. Comments like this baffle me.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

RideTheSpiral posted:

I can't imagine top blokes like Darren Lehmann or Dean Jones ever doing racism.

did you quote the wrong person or something

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Airstream Driver posted:

Prime Minister's Manus Island 11

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Seams posted:

did you quote the wrong person or something

I just quote indiscriminately

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'll only call him for chucking after ten overs.

rip spin

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Scylo posted:

Everyone should make an IPL fantasy team https://fantasy.iplt20.com/

Went ahead and made a league

https://fantasy.iplt20.com/ifl/leagues/view/18743

League code is 20086.

I care about the IPL.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I don't mind Lyon, he hasn't played a lot of cricket in England so I am not too sure how he will go, he obviously won't get the bounce he gets in Australia and doesn't really turn it. Lyon will get first crack and then Ahmed is the insurance policy.

Bit worried about both Starc and Johnson in England to be honest, Johnson was borderline unplayable in the bad way last time around and Starc is unproven in test cricket

if all else fails we can just call Cook a human being for 7 hours straight

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Seams posted:

Lyon has to be the most unappreciated good player Australia's ever had. Comments like this baffle me.

True, probably a bit harsh but someone with an average around 30 with a better strike rate wouldn't go astray.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bharatrocity posted:

Went ahead and made a league

https://fantasy.iplt20.com/ifl/leagues/view/18743

League code is 20086.

I care about the IPL.

I submitted my team. I like the motto

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is Cook playing? Isn't he worse than before?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EMC posted:

That would require Cook to bat for 7 hours.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

goatface posted:

That would require Cook to bat for 7 hours.

well thats what the english would be hoping, how else would he grind out a solid 40?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm just being realistic. Unless he spent the world cup undergoing some sort of super-powerful hypnotherapy to flush the poo poo out of his head, he's not going to be occupying the crease for any expended period.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

EMC posted:

I don't mind Lyon, he hasn't played a lot of cricket in England so I am not too sure how he will go, he obviously won't get the bounce he gets in Australia and doesn't really turn it. Lyon will get first crack and then Ahmed is the insurance policy.

Bit worried about both Starc and Johnson in England to be honest, Johnson was borderline unplayable in the bad way last time around and Starc is unproven in test cricket

Harris/Hazlewood/Johnson and or Starc is a pretty decent looking attack. Johnson or Starc can come on and bowl a few overs at a time in bursts, plus there is probably going to be Watson/Marsh/Lyon there to soak up overs too.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I don't know about anyone else but I'm absolutely psyched to watch Preity Zinta watching IPL.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Um, that's the Pepsi IPL, being watched by PZNZ Media presents Preity Zinta

You need to get into the proper commercial spirit of the event.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

EMC posted:

Johnson was borderline unplayable in the bad way last time around and Starc is unproven in test cricket

Starc will do okay, Johnson now knows his bowling prowess is proportional to his 'stash. He'll have a epic Merv Hughes face growth going and be even more of a nightmare.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
allowing her stomach to show? does she have no modesty??

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

allowing her stomach to show? does she have no modesty??

Bus driver spotted

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
IPL fantasy team submitted.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Same but I don't know any of the non-internationals from India and I have no interest so hopefully this team I've picked goes on and wins the cup. Led by G Max of course.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Whoa, look at all the shitposting overnight. I might check out until the next test series. I think I'm all cricketed out for the moment anyway. What's the next one coming up? WI vs AUS?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

subroc posted:

Whoa, look at all the shitposting overnight. I might check out until the next test series. I think I'm all cricketed out for the moment anyway. What's the next one coming up? WI vs AUS?

Look at this baby

England vs WI is up next in a couple of weeks, followed by New Zealand vs England and Australia vs WI and then the Ashes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

I guess I'll be back April 13 then. Weren't England just in the Caribbean a couple of months ago? Looks like England are going to be playing non-stop all the way up to the Ashes. They really don't learn, do they?