Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

This one was frustrating because like all the dreadfleet it has to be painted before assembly, but it fit together especially poorly. The lines weren't as sharp as the other models, and the sails are made at different angles, which looks kinda janky. I'm pretty sure I put it together right. There aren't any official photos head on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

This one was frustrating because like all the dreadfleet it has to be painted before assembly, but it fit together especially poorly. The lines weren't as sharp as the other models, and the sails are made at different angles, which looks kinda janky. I'm pretty sure I put it together right. There aren't any official photos head on.

You are absolutely crushing these Deadfleet minis! Amazing.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

The Impaler posted:

Love it anytime you post. Group shot of your plane collection?

Just snapped a quick one for you tonight. Hopefully getting better and learning with each one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hey, since you have experience with model airplanes, have you ever used any of the buffable chrome stuff? Was considering trying out some of that on my necrons. I know it's mostly for planes and cars though.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've used various Alclad lacquers a bunch of times and it probably does the best metallic finishes I've ever seen in small scale. Their Chrome for Plastics works really well I find. Its not really buffable since it will flake off if you're to rough with it prior to clear coating, but you can rub it down lightly with a microfiber cloth to make it almost mirror reflective. You can see an example of it here along with obligatory bad music. I've never gotten that dusting he's getting there but I might be spraying differently than he does. Some things to note though: Alclad is bottled cancer; wear a respirator with a volatile organics filter. It also needs to be sprayed on a glossy black base coat. The glossier and blacker the better. You shouldn't shoot a lacquer over top of an enamel or acrylic coating either since they use pretty hot solvents. That being said I've never had any trouble spraying it on to Vallejo's Gloss Black with a couple of fine coats of Future on top of that. Future is designed to have fat people scraping overloaded chairs over it all day long so its tough stuff.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
So I'm poo poo at painting. I just recently bought some Sternguard and would like for them to be less poo poo than my other models. Seeing as my current painting technique is best described as "throw some paint over black primer", what are some basic techniques to avoid having models I'm ashamed to bring out? I'm going with an iron hands colour scheme, and can include pictures if they'd be of any use, although seeing how bad I am, its kind of embarrassing.

Also huge props to everyone who's posted gorgeous models, it's actually been really helpful in the whole "start trying" category.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

GMarshal posted:

So I'm poo poo at painting. I just recently bought some Sternguard and would like for them to be less poo poo than my other models. Seeing as my current painting technique is best described as "throw some paint over black primer", what are some basic techniques to avoid having models I'm ashamed to bring out? I'm going with an iron hands colour scheme, and can include pictures if they'd be of any use, although seeing how bad I am, its kind of embarrassing.

Also huge props to everyone who's posted gorgeous models, it's actually been really helpful in the whole "start trying" category.

Can you be a little more specific about what exactly is bad about your models? Because what you have to do to make them not poo poo depends on why they are poo poo to begin with.

The base-level advice almost everyone can benefit from is learn to thin paint, learn brush control, learn color theory, learn to push contrasts. Almost every other technique and advice will stem from those.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Hollismason posted:

Hey, since you have experience with model airplanes, have you ever used any of the buffable chrome stuff? Was considering trying out some of that on my necrons. I know it's mostly for planes and cars though.

I haven't I'm afraid. The only time I've attempted chrome was using Vallejo model air colours as the base of the corsair earlier in the thread.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

Can you be a little more specific about what exactly is bad about your models? Because what you have to do to make them not poo poo depends on why they are poo poo to begin with.

The base-level advice almost everyone can benefit from is learn to thin paint, learn brush control, learn color theory, learn to push contrasts. Almost every other technique and advice will stem from those.

http://imgur.com/a/YevW3

I made an album of my test sternguard for reference. I don't know how to describe why they're bad, they just... don't look good. My current technique is basically a single layer for metalic colors, and then do the fine details, with another layer of another color, the black is left as the primer black. Basically I have no techniques.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Too much metallic. They are only good for accent bits. Also, I almost always drybrush metallic paints on because of that. I'm no pro painter Golden Demon hopeful, but I regularly get compliments about my table-quality dollies. A grey with chainmail drybrush on the edges to make them shine a bit would probably look better for the same general idea. Also, your edges look messy as gently caress even through the blur on those lovely photos.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 30, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

GMarshal posted:

First up your models are not bad, their just bright and could use with first off thinning of the paints!! So good news on that. 2nd it looks like you're priming to close to the model. If that is just straight primer. It also seems on the uneven brush strokes.

I'm not a super amazing painter either by any stretch but over the years I've learned a bunch of tricks to make my stuff look great/ decent.

Iron Hands is Black And Grey from what I see, so here's my suggesting buy a coloured penciled like grey etc. get a smooth tip on it meaning it doesn't have a sharp edge and use it to edge your model. It's a lot easier than using a brush and gives you more control.

I'd recommend a soft lead , pencil , there are specific art pencils for this. The next tape!!

Tape is your friend when you are starting out.
Like for instance that chest piece with the eagle, get some blue painters tape, apply it to a smooth service and pull it up a few times to get rid of some of the tack.

Then tape over the chest piece. Or tape around it this helps with getting mixed colours on the black if you find you aren't getting a steady hand. It also helps with other parts if you are getting slippage and unclean lines. So tape can be your friend starting out and it's a skill you'll want to develop of being able to tape off and paint.

Next up Kiddy Grips!! for paint brushes

Remember in High school or middle school where you had those objects that would go onto a pencil that you were writing on? They make those for paint brushes, you can buy them at Michaels or just make your own by getting them for pencils and padding the brush.

This makes the brush easier to grip and for me gives a steadier hand

I actually still use these as I have some arthritis in my hands.

So those are my tips.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 30, 2015

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

GMarshal posted:

http://imgur.com/a/YevW3

I made an album of my test sternguard for reference. I don't know how to describe why they're bad, they just... don't look good. My current technique is basically a single layer for metalic colors, and then do the fine details, with another layer of another color, the black is left as the primer black. Basically I have no techniques.

Well, if you are content with the speed-to-quality ratio you have now, that's fine. I wouldn't laugh you off the table if you put those down against me or anything.

That said, if you want to get better, here's a few things. The silver is a bit thick and gloopy, so practice thinning it and applying smoother coats. You can use a wash to bring out some details in the silver, too, so it doesn't look all one bland color. Practice painting inside the lines to avoid stuff being sloppy which it is in some places. All that stuff just comes with practice.

Leaving the black as primer black is always going to look, well, flat and black. Black is hard to paint well, but you basically would highlight it with grey. There's a million ways to do it and which one works for you is just something you have to practice to discover. Edge highlighting is fairly easy and popular for space marines because the armor lends itself well to it. Drybrushing can also work for fast marines.

Basically, they look unfinished because you are doing one basecoat and calling it done. Look up some tutorials on washing and drybrushing and edge highlighting, those are very simple techniques that can add a lot to a mini.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Composition is another area you should look into: you have different colors all over the place that make the model look busy even though you’re only using a few colors. You should think about placement. For example, use dark colors in the recesses and lighter ones on the top (IE: black on your armor, gold on the trim, silver on the highlights).

Everyone else has awesome tips for you. The only thing I’ll add is this- if you really want to up your game quickly, don’t paint a whole squad at a time. For your next 5 models paint them one at a time from start to finish. Spend a whole day on a mode. Try new things, experiment, and get a good idea of the process. Then get feedback on it and move onto the next. Each time you paint push yourself. You’ll make leaps and bounds if you focus on improving each time you paint a new man.

I did this to get where I am. Admittedly I spent too long on this process, but you can read about my adventure on my lovely blog and see what I mean:

How I learned to paint: Part 1
How I learned to paint: Part 2

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Heh, never saw that before...

... powerfisted.

You're good people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You can get away with a lot if you stick to getting very very basic things right, they won't hold up to scrutiny like 4 inches away but they'll look good across the battlefield.

My favourite thing right now is just highlighting with soft lead pencils. They come in a variety of colours and you can buy them in metallic. You can also use a simple lead pencil for weathering.

Very simple things can give a basic paint job a fantastic look.

Here's a quick test, do you have a pencil at your house just a normal pencil? Take it and run it across a black edge on the model flat side down. That's it there's nothing else to that technique.

Techniques can get you very far.

Skill comes into play in different area but you can have good technique and make a great model. As you use techniques you build skill.

That's just my personal philosophy.

I have shakey hands due to nerve damage as well as arthritis, the technique I developed was finding something larger to hold onto, a technique. The other was to use a method, Air Brushing. It's easier for me to hold as it's larger and my hands don't cramp.

I can't paint fine detail my hands shake to bad when gripping but through the use of techniques and methods , I've been able to produce some cool stuff ( this is also why I paint Necrons and Dark Eldar, their easy as not a lot of "faces")

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 31, 2015

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Thanks folks, I appreciate the advice, will post pics when I get the next model done to get further feedback.

I have a bunch of stuff to work on, which is exactly what I was looking for, so thanks again!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
If I want to highlight bronze, would mixing bronze and gold be my best bet for the highlight color, or just gold, or something else? I am bad at figuring out metals.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Highlighting the edges with gold works well.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PantsOptional posted:

If I want to highlight bronze, would mixing bronze and gold be my best bet for the highlight color, or just gold, or something else? I am bad at figuring out metals.

Highlight with gold, then a very thin line of silver at the highest points. It's how I do my bronze. Judicious use of brown wash also helps, and a little bit of purple wash in the darkest recesses can make it look a little rich.

Generally speaking, for metals it's a good idea to do dark metallic color > wash > highlight with mid-tone > highlight with lightest tone > maybe a wash after to help bring it together, followed by a single highlight of the last color you used. Not terribly different from normal painting.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Wow, I actually finished a project! I'm really happy with my Tzeentch guy, definitely my favorite thing I've painted so far, so now you all have to look at it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Medium Style posted:

Wow, I actually finished a project! I'm really happy with my Tzeentch guy, definitely my favorite thing I've painted so far, so now you all have to look at it.

The red on the khorne guy looks amazing.

Nice work dooder

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah they all look amazing, great work on that cloak. Wouldn't mind seeing more of the one in red.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Medium Style posted:

Gorgeous. Can't pick a favorite.

Do some more stuff.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Yeah they all look amazing, great work on that cloak. Wouldn't mind seeing more of the one in red.

Red dude took the longest by far, I ended up re-doing a lot of the red and the brass and eventually I just got impatient and rushed through parts of it.

Thanks for the compliments. I think my next project will be a similar assortment except for Warmachine.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Are those guys from a set or did you convert them?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

"Rushed" I don't think that word means what you think it means, that looks really good.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Super Waffle posted:

Are those guys from a set or did you convert them?

They are all from the Dark Vengeance boxed set, no conversions. Nurgle and Slaanesh guys are from a squad of 6 chaos chosen, Khorne guy is an aspiring champion, and Tzeentch is a chaos lord. They were $15 USD on eBay for the lot. They are not the best models, I think they are meant to be a snap-together starter set. Some of the details are "extruded" and have no real sides or back, as if they were only meant to be viewed from one angle.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

GMarshal posted:

Thanks folks, I appreciate the advice, will post pics when I get the next model done to get further feedback.

I have a bunch of stuff to work on, which is exactly what I was looking for, so thanks again!

In addition to the rest of the good advice above, try this One Amazing Trick To Make Your Miniature Look Finished: Paint your bases. A tidy base goes a long way to making a model look complete. You can go really simple and just paint it goblin green. Or you can go to the next level and add some basing sand which you then paint+drybrush. Beyond that you've got rocks and static grass and mud and boiled animal skeletons and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Have a look at GW's Agrellan Earth technical paint if you want quick and easy mud https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFvzLX8CzrA or just google around for easy basing tutorials.

But at an absolute minimum, just paint the entire base a neutral colour to cover up the inevitable paint splashes and finger prints that always seem to end up there. Something like a dark green/brown/grey (or even black) will make a big difference.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Black Rims for Life, don't waste the paint don't paint the base. ( Snow Bases are okay I guess, or Old School).

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

big_g posted:

Just snapped a quick one for you tonight. Hopefully getting better and learning with each one.

That desert Tornado is awesome.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Also voting black rims. Or at least a much darker shade of whatever the rest of the base is. When the rim is the same color as the base, it just looks to me like the model is standing on an undefined lump.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It also to my eye looks terrible when you are looking down at the miniature on the table top.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Impaler posted:

That desert Tornado is awesome.

All of those are awesome

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Please don't ruin those beautiful creations by painting the rims, ew

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Cross-posting Constance Blaize and Gallant, I spent most of the month on these two.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

God drat.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Okay how big are these miniatures. Like, could you put one next to a penny or a quarter or something for a size comparison?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Red Shoe posted:

Cross-posting Constance Blaize and Gallant, I spent most of the month on these two.

Those are stupid good!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

everythingWasBees posted:

Okay how big are these miniatures. Like, could you put one next to a penny or a quarter or something for a size comparison?

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cross posting from the 40k thread. I wrapped up these bad boys last week:

Click for Massive

I'll take shots of my favorite ones, but I've been so busy I figure I'd toss this up first. I've been toiling on them for ages.