Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Over time the "clean" sewage from the upgraded sewage drain pipes pushes the purple sewage away from the shore. It takes a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Peas and Rice posted:

Will I be able to run this game with these specs?

You will, but barely.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

saucepanman posted:

You will, but barely.

Is it even worth trying if I crank the graphics settings all the way down?

It may be time for my computer to meet an "unfortunate accident."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Peas and Rice posted:

The game's minimum requirements specifically state that it does not support Intel HD Graphics, so buy at your own risk.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Peas and Rice posted:

Is it even worth trying if I crank the graphics settings all the way down?

It may be time for my computer to meet an "unfortunate accident."
The early game stuff might be fine with everything on low at 720p or less, but going off the rage posts in the steam forums I wouldn't hold much hope for anything past that.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

It seems to run fine on an Intel HD Graphics 4400, albeit with all the setting at minimum and resolution reduced to 1366x768.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Somebody has made decent progress on a first person multiplayer mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sIVRsWZC9o

Not necessarily something I care about, but pretty impressive nonetheless.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
It is like the community is remaking second life but instead of superpowers we have traffic administrative abilities

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

It gets worse the more water you have. Doing island maps with flowing rivers was bad. I tried doing deltas but uuugh. You pretty much hit reset then go for a walk or something. In the end I said gently caress it to 'realistic' heights and just overengineered every shoreline.

Big elevation changes are murder too. It starts out looking okay but then oscillations develop and before long it's just endless tsunamis rolling down your peaceful valley.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

gman14msu posted:

Somebody has made decent progress on a first person multiplayer mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sIVRsWZC9o

Not necessarily something I care about, but pretty impressive nonetheless.

I think Cities Skylines modding is going to become a running joke at some point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okay I'm calling it quits on fixing water flow issues. The map looks mostly alright to me, and periodic flooding or water shortages are unrealistic, right? There are a few spots on the map which randomly stop receiving water because I guess it despawns or something, but from what I can tell this happens fairly infrequently and always rectifies itself.

The terrain itself is pulled from part of the Lena River's delta, part of the Flint Hills, and the mountains are from bits of the Himalayas (I think), of course with copious amounts of editing via the in game editor and Photoshop.

I would upload it to the workshop now but for some reason I can't upload the finished version of the map. It keeps on sending out blank files. I can publish and older one, but the water is completely hosed up on it. :(

e: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416974671

xzzy posted:

Big elevation changes are murder too. It starts out looking okay but then oscillations develop and before long it's just endless tsunamis rolling down your peaceful valley.

You can actually ease out the tidal waves by making the elevation changes more drastic. I had to make some gigantic loving waterfalls on the edge of the map in order to make the water calmer.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 31, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Adding water sources at the base of large drops actually helps too if you dont want to build a really deep catchpool at the bottom. Both work but a large resevoir takes a long time to stabilize all the sloshing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Getting the water simulation to work right on this map is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in this game.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
I enjoy designing the crappy neighborhoods more than nice ones for some reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hammy posted:

I enjoy designing the crappy neighborhoods more than nice ones for some reason.

Now you just need Will Smith and Martin Lawrence in a Hummer to smash through it all.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I am getting real tired of playing landfill whack-a-mole. There's too many landfills in my city and my incinerator is barely using any of its garbage trucks. What do I have to do to force things towards incineration versus landfill?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

kefkafloyd posted:

I am getting real tired of playing landfill whack-a-mole. There's too many landfills in my city and my incinerator is barely using any of its garbage trucks. What do I have to do to force things towards incineration versus landfill?

Stop using so many landfills and replace them with incinerators. Turn them off or empty them.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hahaha I guess if your preview image is the wrong dimensions or too large or something the upload just shits itself. Here is map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416974671

kefkafloyd posted:

Build more incinerators?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
So just building more incinerators, even though the one I'm using isn't being heavily utilized, will just make it work? It can't be that easy, is it?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Incinerators send out their own trash trucks. If you build a shitton of them and delete all your landfills, you will not have problems, I believe.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409662394

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Peas and Rice posted:

Yeah. You'll stutter a bit if you zoom in or when your city gets huge, but I'm running it on a similar machine and it's fine.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I'll take a turn at show and tell. This is my first city, Arcturus:

I've lived my whole life in small-to-medium towns in rural Pennsylvania, New York, and briefly Vermont, so that's the general feeling I've been going for.

Zone map:

I started by drawing a road west from the highway to the river, then a couple of cross streets. Everything expanded in a fairly unplanned way from there.

In SimCity and now this game I've always tried to vaguely mimic the patterns of growth and zone distribution I see in the places I've lived - that means mostly commercial along one main street, shading in a slightly hodge-podge way into residential, with pockets of commercial still cropping up occasionally, mostly at intersections. The edges fade out into widely-spaced, lightly-developed small roads. Though I could be doing a better job with those; even backwoods dirt roads rarely just dead-end. I need to tie the ends of mine together better. (And there should just be more of them; I'm at a growth phase where I need to spread out more.)

I could also do better with the industrial, which is a little too neatly clumped. In reality you can't drive too far on a back road around here without seeing a lone sawmill or truck garage or prefab wall manufacturing plant among the farms and houses. Speaking of which, farms will probably show up to the south if I ever buy that tile since it has most of the fertile ground in the immediate area.

View from West Arcturus towards the center of town:

From the river up Main Street:

High-density gets pretty dang tall at max level. That's great when you want it but I feel like it's disproportionate in this town. My next move is to sprawl the edges of town out a goodish bit to make it look more appropriately scaled.

Traffic map:

This is almost entirely regular two-lane two-way, with some one-way tying into the highway between the town center and Lamoreaux Woods. There are also (mediocre) bus lines covering most of town. It's working well enough for now, though the heaviest areas are starting to back up more than I'd like sometimes. Probably going to have to deploy more one-way soon, and maybe think about alternate truck routes and stuff.

And I'll end with a question:

What does it take to get an office to level 3? This building in the middle of town has essentially perfect service coverage, with nearly every service type available within two blocks and a bus stop immediately outside. I don't really know what else I can throw at it.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 31, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Supraluminal posted:

What does it take to get an office to level 3? This building in the middle of town has essentially perfect service coverage, with nearly every service type available within two blocks and a bus stop immediately outside. I don't really know what else I can throw at it.

Being covered by a service doesn't fill their desire up 100%, you can stack like 5 fire stations back to back and only just fill up their desire for fire coverage. It's pretty insane.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Supraluminal posted:

High-density gets pretty dang tall at max level. That's great when you want it but I feel like it's disproportionate in this town. My next move is to sprawl the edges of town out a goodish bit to make it look more appropriately scaled.

You could always download the Control Building Level Up it lets you restrict buildings to a maximum development level. You can do this either building-by-building or for an entire district.

Also, yeah, consider another onramp for each highway. That should relieve pressure on those arteries.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

So just building more incinerators, even though the one I'm using isn't being heavily utilized, will just make it work? It can't be that easy, is it?

Your incinerator isn't getting used because it doesn't have some kind of priority over landfills as long as they're operating normally; you need to actually decommission the landfills to get the incinerator(s) running full steam.

Build incinerators until they can handle all the trash your city produces, plus some decent margin. You can determine this with the usual graph things that pop up when you place service buildings/use info views. Once they're up and running, set all your landfills to "empty" mode. The landfills will completely stop picking up trash and instead truck all they've got to the incinerators, which meanwhile will pick up the slack and start collecting and burning the trash your city produces. Once the landfills are empty, delete them.

It's that easy!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Being covered by a service doesn't fill their desire up 100%, you can stack like 5 fire stations back to back and only just fill up their desire for fire coverage. It's pretty insane.

Well that seems stupid. Doesn't that incentivize spamming small service buildings over using the bigger/denser versions in built-up areas? Oh well, good to know, thanks.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You could always download the Control Building Level Up it lets you restrict buildings to a maximum development level. You can do this either building-by-building or for an entire district.

Also, yeah, consider another onramp for each highway. That should relieve pressure on those arteries.

I considered a highrise ban but ultimately decided not to bother. It'll look fine once I grow laterally some more.

More highway access might help. I need to figure out where the traffic is trying to get to, though. If it's just going to other destinations in town (rather than leaving the region) I think I need to improve east-west throughput.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 31, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Supraluminal posted:

Your incinerator isn't getting used because it doesn't have some kind of priority over landfills as long as they're operating normally; you need to actually decommission the landfills to get the incinerator(s) running full steam.

Build incinerators until they can handle all the trash your city produces, plus some decent margin. You can determine this with the usual graph things that pop up when you place service buildings/use info views. Once they're up and running, set all your landfills to "empty" mode. The landfills will completely stop picking up trash and instead truck all they've got to the incinerators, which meanwhile will pick up the slack and start collecting and burning the trash your city produces. Once the landfills are empty, delete them.

It's that easy!

My world has tuned from black and white into color. :science:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Well that's odd. When I loaded my game today, I had several neighborhoods complaining about low land values, even though they're in the middle of the scale. Mostly housing, including one section I zoned basically to be super-nice.

Maybe it's all the dead bodies after a population crash, I have no idea.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Hahaha I guess if your preview image is the wrong dimensions or too large or something the upload just shits itself. Here is map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416974671

Build more incinerators?

Trying it now, map looks great.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ad by Khad posted:

Trying it now, map looks great.

I'm liking it so far, with a caveat.

The islands thing is cool, which is what I was going for.

The giant cliffs of dirt due to how steep some of the slopes on the edge of the isles is not what I was going for, on the other hand.

e: Actually, it looks like the way I did the rivers/slopes lets you extend zones pretty far into the bay, so properly done you can make actually decent looking shorelines. Now, if only there was some way to just paint the dirt over with a concrete texture and it would look like a real seawall.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 31, 2015

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm liking it so far, with a caveat.

The islands thing is cool, which is what I was going for.

The giant cliffs of dirt due to how steep some of the slopes on the edge of the isles is not what I was going for, on the other hand.

e: Actually, it looks like the way I did the rivers/slopes lets you extend zones pretty far into the bay, so properly done you can make actually decent looking shorelines. Now, if only there was some way to just paint the dirt over with a concrete texture and it would look like a real seawall.

I'm thinking buses-only for passengers for an additional challenge. Gonna get some of those bus stations going like you had on your other city.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No bridges, harbors only.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

A DLC with ferry/ship lines to make harbors useful would be pretty sweet.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ad by Khad posted:

A DLC with ferry/ship lines to make harbors useful would be pretty sweet.

They could spin out so many DLC packages with alternate transportation methods. Ferries, streetcars, light rail, bike lanes, trams, hovercraft...

So my city started to fail for no reason that I could really determine (maybe pollution in the water supply, not sure). Then I helped it along but cutting all funding for everything, turning off all the water and sewer, and watching the population plummet. Was kinda hoping for FEMA to drop in and start bulldozing the place.

Still, even with every building abandoned or burned down, and a city millions in debt, there were still fools moving in, only to immediately find their house had no services and a punishing tax rate. No schools, no services, no industry. That's heaven for some people. Was really hoping one of them would drop a match and burn the whole city down. (Do you hear me, CO? Wildfire hazard! Volcano! Floods, locusts, giant anthropomorphic marshmallow men!)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

No bridges, harbors only.

I'm gonna do this with Metro linking the islands. Sadly you'd have to have police/fire/hospitals/crematoriums/incinerators on every single island.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man, I love the ability to create crosswalks/bus stops like this. I'm a bit irritated that the busses still block traffic a bit, but they stop for such a short amount of time it doesn't matter. Red line's an express route, blue line's a local route, and there's so much loving pedestrian traffic that poo poo gets a bit nuts.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
So I've been playing on the Zion map, and I decided to role play a bit. The city council demanded there be more waterfalls, even if artificial. So to get more, a part of the map needs to be flooded.

MOAR, MOAR WATER.

I am this close to destroying the dam for laughs. But I need my artificial treated sewage waterfall!

I'm also trying to go for a nice San Francisco styled city in parts with a grid similar to this:
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRO
O-------------------------------------------O
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRO

And then fill in the middle with trees.

This is great for compact neighborhoods that don't overwhelm your transit system. I've found people love walking around in them too. Mixing up everything would be great for walk-ability, but I've noticed noise can really mess with neighborhoods.

Of course, when they all upgrade out of little townhouses they end up looking like this. It's...not what I was hoping for.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Lot makers on the workshop have some weird ideas about where people like to hang out

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

This game has suddenly ceased working for me. It gets to the Paradox screen before the menu, sits there for like 60 seconds, and then crashes with the Cities.exe has stopped working message. I've tried disabling the Steam overlay but it changes nothing, anyone else know how to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

May not the prettiest method but I am keeping cars off the road. Up to 35,000 my biggest city ever. I feel like the pedestrian walkways are a huge waste of space sometimes but god drat do they keep people off the road.

From pedestrian nodes, buses take them to subways which ferry them to heavy rail.

I have about 2,000 riders a week on the subway and another 1,000 on the buses. Not amazing but that is nearly 10% of the city.

I'd be curious on the % of people in your cities taking the subway and buses. I have been busting my rear end to try to get it to 15% and I can't seem to do it. I think the highest I got it was exactly 12% and then the city expanded more and the population got huge fast.

I am super determined to try to manage the civilian traffic while trying to ease industrial traffic. I am not playing with unlimited money/tech so the game has been quite a challenge and very fun. Makes you appreciate city planners and the hard choices they face.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 31, 2015