Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Varg Vikernes on his own is enough to make it into this thread. He is a very disturbing individual.

He now has a YouTube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?ThuleanPerspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Redczar posted:

If I didn't know better I'd think this is a Tim & Eric sketch with how over the top it is, the music, and how so many words are used to say nothing

I recall a version with Miscavige himself presiding over a huge theater filled with people and they showcased this, it got a standing ovation. I showed this video to one of my coworkers and we both were :psyboom: over it. They all have the crazy eyes, too.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

You could record it directly as it plays rather than ripping it. VLC probably does it.

I tried this and VLC is such a pile of poo poo for doing anything except playing things directly that it completely failed to produce a working video file under any circumstances.

Minarchist posted:

The Golden Age of Tech II

I'm not so sure how safe this site is, but this is some of the video (I think) and hoo boy its a doozy :stare:

I HAVE SUPER POWER :supaburn:

It's a similar format to this, but it's a different video.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Redczar posted:

If I didn't know better I'd think this is a Tim & Eric sketch with how over the top it is, the music, and how so many words are used to say nothing

You pretty much just described Scientology as a whole, there :v:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

I tried this and VLC is such a pile of poo poo for doing anything except playing things directly that it completely failed to produce a working video file under any circumstances.

It's a similar format to this, but it's a different video.

Install Camtasia for their month trial and just record the entire screen or video player. Or some other screen recorder.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I think YouTube and most copyright lawyers would encourage you to follow the accepted procedure which is to play it on your mid 90s TV and stand on the other side of the room pointing your zoomed-in cell phone at 1/2-1/3 of the screen while it plays.

Also I don't get the reference to Joss Whedon or Community, do you mean that people don't appreciate that Joss Whedon existed as a person before Avengers (or Buffy) or that Community season 6 was preceded by 5 other seasons? Or what?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Minarchist posted:

The Golden Age of Tech II

I'm not so sure how safe this site is, but this is some of the video (I think) and hoo boy its a doozy :stare:

I HAVE SUPER POWER :supaburn:
It has the same atmosphere as MLM recruiting/encouragement videos. It's like a stream of infomercial testimonials, but about achieving enlightenment instead of peeling potatoes faster.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I have put more effort into ripping the DVD and have so far managed to produce two corrupted videos, which are absolutely horrifying. I may just hook a DVD player up to my video capture card.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Post the corrupted videos.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Let's just hope it's done before christmas. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

atomicthumbs posted:

I have put more effort into ripping the DVD and have so far managed to produce two corrupted videos, which are absolutely horrifying. I may just hook a DVD player up to my video capture card.
Use OBS to capture your screen while you watch it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Also I don't get the reference to Joss Whedon
There are nerds out there that worship Joss Whedon and will go on endlessly about how clever and brilliant he is and OMG why don't you like Buffy?

But honestly I find them less annoying and vocal than the people that won't hesitate for a moment to tell everyone how much of a hack Joss Whedon is whenever his name comes up.

He makes watchable shows/movies. No reason to feel strongly about him either way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Master is a really insightful take on how cults like Scientology can exist and thrive, and the process by which people are developed into true believers that will fight ferociously to protect them. Joaquin Phoenix's character is an amalgam of every type of person who would be susceptible to this type of thing. He's a severely damaged(by war and earlier traumas) and pretty much doesn't function as a human being anymore. Even worse he's become invisible, he stumbles around drunkenly groping at the world in general and nobody even notices anymore, he's part of the background. When he stumbles onto the Master and his group all of that changes, all of the sudden here's a bunch of people who seem to care about him and root for him to succeed(at their bullshit "tests"). They feed him and put resources into him, they value him. Its pretty easy to see how all of that becomes addictive, and he doesn't want to give it up regardless of whether the actual Cause is legitimate or not.

I'd guess pretty much every person who falls victim to a cult has at least one quality in common with Freddie Quell.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Also, Joaquin Phoenix' family used to be members of the cult Children of God (now Family International), so he has some personal experience on the subject.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
They've recovered a video of the final moments of the german plane crash, taken by a passenger apparently.

http://news.sky.com/story/1456421/video-captures-final-moments-of-alps-crash

quote:

Paris Match, which has not published the video, reported: "The scene was so chaotic that it was hard to identify people, but the sounds of the screaming passengers made it perfectly clear that they were aware of what was about to happen to them.

"One can hear cries of 'My God' in several languages."

The newspaper added that metallic banging can be heard in the footage, before the screaming gets louder and the video ends.

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be watching that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

Post the corrupted videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgPClj7ZYI

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Someone turn the saturation down and run the audio through a ring modulator

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

dude what about FRAPS

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

I don't know, maybe those crazy Scientology folks are on to something. The ability to shape-shift into pixellated rainbows at will sure seems like a superpower to me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's better this way. The corruption definitely adds to the whole evil empire trying to brainwash the world deal.

ConcreteDachshund
Dec 29, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

They've recovered a video of the final moments of the german plane crash, taken by a passenger apparently.

http://news.sky.com/story/1456421/video-captures-final-moments-of-alps-crash

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be watching that.

From that article:

quote:

Recovery teams scouring the crash site have said not a single body has been found intact.

Some 78 different DNA profiles have been isolated so far from around 400 body parts, although none have been directly linked to the victims.

Jesus. Though I imagine that's not uncommon in plane crashes on land.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Given the speeds involved and the mass of the plane it's probably not uncommon for those that crash on the water either.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

ConcreteDachshund posted:

From that article:

I am really appreciative of my boring office work. I really am.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ConcreteDachshund posted:

I read a book by a woman who was a medical examiner in New York (Working Stiff by Judy Melinek) during 9/11. Her task immediately after the towers fell was to help identify the bodies (no cause of death needed, everyone knew what had happened). Out of all the things I read and seen about 9/11, that section of the book was the most evocative of how outside the realm of normal the whole thing was.

The medical examiners and coroners and pretty much everyone who worked with dead bodies in New York gathered in big tents with huge refrigerated trucks outside. Every body part was examined and numbered and anything that could be used to identify them was logged--hair color, tattoos, any medical implants like pacemakers or artificial hips, pieces of office supplies that had been driven into their flesh. The part that made me have to put the book down was her description of a man's torso, missing the limbs and head and kind of battered but otherwise intact. They x-rayed it to see if he had a pacemaker or anything, but instead found a woman's hand, complete with wedding ring, that had somehow been lodged in his ribcage. That's how chaotic and powerful and awful it was, and nothing else drove it home for me like that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How legit are those newspapers? That would be a pretty easy story to invent.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

ElwoodCuse posted:

How legit are those newspapers? That would be a pretty easy story to invent.

I think the story may have originated from The Daily Mail so yeah, I would take it with a grain of salt.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
This reminds me of the Polish presidential plane crash in 2010; a local rag claimed they'd gotten access to the cockpit recordings before they were released to the public and that the pilots' last words were "Jesus, Jesus!". Then the authorities released the actual recordings and it turned out that the actual last words were "FUUUUUCK!!"

szary has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Apr 1, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I read a book by a woman who was a medical examiner in New York (Working Stiff by Judy Melinek) during 9/11. Her task immediately after the towers fell was to help identify the bodies (no cause of death needed, everyone knew what had happened). Out of all the things I read and seen about 9/11, that section of the book was the most evocative of how outside the realm of normal the whole thing was.

The medical examiners and coroners and pretty much everyone who worked with dead bodies in New York gathered in big tents with huge refrigerated trucks outside. Every body part was examined and numbered and anything that could be used to identify them was logged--hair color, tattoos, any medical implants like pacemakers or artificial hips, pieces of office supplies that had been driven into their flesh. The part that made me have to put the book down was her description of a man's torso, missing the limbs and head and kind of battered but otherwise intact. They x-rayed it to see if he had a pacemaker or anything, but instead found a woman's hand, complete with wedding ring, that had somehow been lodged in his ribcage. That's how chaotic and powerful and awful it was, and nothing else drove it home for me like that.

I know. I was a NY National Guardsman, and 9/11 was my first activation. I was stationed to guard one of those tents for several nights.

I remember everything being in black bags as it came past me, to be cataloged, etc. Just being near the place had a profound effect.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

szary posted:

Then the authorities released the actual recordings and it turned out that the actual last words were "FUUUUUCK!!"

I would have expected "KUUUUURWA!" from a Polish pilot.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ubergnu posted:

I am really appreciative of my boring office work. I really am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would love to know HR's reasons for bankrolling something that ridiculous. "It's actually cheaper for accounts payable to soak up as many bullets as possible so that the servers upstairs with customer data are less likely to get damaged."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I read that book, too! Excellent, but hard to get through because holy gently caress.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

If it isn't you, someone is doing God's work. Bless you, my brother!

Having seen Going Clear but read the book, which is excellent.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jack Gladney posted:

I would love to know HR's reasons for bankrolling something that ridiculous. "It's actually cheaper for accounts payable to soak up as many bullets as possible so that the servers upstairs with customer data are less likely to get damaged."

It's a lovely bit of fear-mongering. "Mostly office days are dull and normal but occasionally a psychotic gunman will come in and start shooting at people randomly. You have to be prepared."

Like the average office worker is ever likely to be in one let alone multiple shootouts.

nonathlon has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Apr 1, 2015

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

I got to watch that at work, I only hope that if I'm ever in that situation that I'll be as awesome as the guy with the fire extinguisher.

Content:

I was reading an article today that mentioned the worst hitter in baseball history, Bill Bergen. There is nothing unnerving about Bill Bergen, however there was something that stood out at the bottom of the wiki.

Wikipedia posted:

His brother was Marty Bergen, a big-league catcher for the Boston Beaneaters, who suffered from severe mental illness. Marty Bergen brutally murdered his family and committed suicide in 1900.

Marty Bergen was loving insane.

Wikipedia posted:

In mid-July 1899, Bergen silently walked off the team's train at the beginning of a road trip, leaving Boston with just a backup catcher during a heated pennant race.

Wikipedia posted:

In September, Bergen disappeared again for a few days, then showed up unannounced a few minutes before a game and put on his catching gear without speaking to anyone.

Wikipedia posted:

On October 9, Bergen had to be removed from a game when he dodged the pitches rather than catching them, because he was preoccupied with avoiding knife thrusts from an invisible assailant.

Wikipedia posted:

However, he refused to take any of the bromides prescribed by his doctor, explaining, "I thought someone in the National League had found out that you were my family physician and had arranged to give me some poison. I did not take it from my wife because I didn't wish hers to be the hand that poisoned me."

All of this culminated with a murder-suicide.

Wikipedia posted:

Bergen killed his wife and two children with an axe, then used a straight razor to cut his own throat with such force that he nearly beheaded himself.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

None Dare Call It a Conspiracy: Who was behind the Moscow apartment bombings?

GQ ran this story in print in 2009 but Conde Nast wouldn't publish it online (or in Russia).

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The 2008 Greyhound Murder

quote:

According to witnesses, McLean was sleeping with his headphones on when the man sitting next to him suddenly produced a large knife and began stabbing McLean in the neck and chest. The attacker then decapitated McLean and displayed his severed head to other passengers outside who had fled the bus in horror.

quote:

The suspect alternately paced the length of the bus and defiled the corpse. Police officers then observed Li eating parts of the body.[5]

quote:

Parts of the victim's body, placed in plastic bags, were retrieved from the bus, while his ear, nose and tongue were found in Li's pockets. The victim's eyes and a part of his heart were never recovered and are presumed to have been eaten by Li.[9]

quote:

On March 5, 2009, McLean's killer, 40-year-old Vince Weiguang Li ... was found to be not criminally responsible for murder and was remanded to a high-security mental health facility in Selkirk, Manitoba where he currently is detained.[2]

I don't know how big this news was outside of Canada, but when it happened I was taking the Greyhound almost exclusively to and from school over holidays and such. It was interesting to see how much security tightened after this incident, with the company going so far as to frisk you and check your bag before you got on the bus.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

The Endbringer posted:

I don't know how big this news was outside of Canada, but when it happened I was taking the Greyhound almost exclusively to and from school over holidays and such. It was interesting to see how much security tightened after this incident, with the company going so far as to frisk you and check your bag before you got on the bus.

Oh drat, I remember hearing about this case from these very forums way back in the day. My understanding was that the perpetrator had been acting perfectly normal up to that point, even striking up conversations with other passengers when they were at a rest stop taking a smoke break. And then he just up and takes out a knife and starts stabbing an innocent kid.

I was taking Greyhound buses to and from school around this time as well, but I don't remember there being any additional security added after this, so that probably didn't spread too far outside of Canada.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Let's bring spooky back.

Scientists are recording strange noises from way out there in the dark, and they discovered a mathematical pattern:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630153.600-is-this-et-mystery-of-strange-radio-bursts-from-space.html?full=true#.VR3jFvnF-7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Endbringer posted:

"Yes hello Mr. Li, are you feeling particularly psychotic at this time? No? ... Now you aren't murdering anyone right this minute are you...? Ok good, fine, we'll take your word for it. Have a good day"