Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Lyrics in game music is fine. For example: FFXIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
If you're citing Final Fantasy for lyrics, you could at least link the best example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Crazy Chocobo truly does bring me to ask myself "Am I in hell?"

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Xenoblade's battle theme was beautiful

If by beautiful you mean boring and generic as gently caress, then yes I agree.

Honestly the normal encounter music is really monotonous to hear until you get to Mechonis and Mechanical Rhythm starts playing, which is so much better than the Bionis encounter theme.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Sawano is known for really crazy energetic instrumentals with some really neat lyrical tracks mixed in, so I can't imagine the soundtrack being all that bad.

It's certainly not gonna be nothing like the first Xenoblade though, which is a shame.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

If by beautiful you mean boring and generic as gently caress, then yes I agree.

Honestly the normal encounter music is really monotonous to hear until you get to Mechonis and Mechanical Rhythm starts playing, which is so much better than the Bionis encounter theme.

On the other hand, the music outside of the regular combat theme rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
The worst song in Xenoblade is the "changed the future" battle theme and I want someone to hack that poo poo out of the game so it never interrupts the other, vastly superior, battle themes.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
So I just got to the part where my group hits Sword Valley and Dickson and his bros are there dealing out weapons. The weapons that feature Mechon penetration sound handy but their stats are way worse than what my guys already have. Are they useful and/or necessary or can I just use Monado enhancement every fight?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
It's perfectly possible using Monado enchant the whole way through, but you'll be fighting only Mechon and a lot of them from here for a while. I think ether attacks just go right through mechon anyways, so don't bother buying them for Sharla or Melia. I also think the weapons dropped in this area are already anti-mechon so I guess it's a matter if if you'd rather just buy them now or wait until later.

Additionally, if you don't plan on having Shulk as your lead party member, then I'd very much suggest getting anti-mechon weapons as his a.i. is an idiot about when to use enchant.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I quit xenoblade when they gave me a 4th character but the party could only fit 3. That is the worst poo poo ever and any game that does that can gently caress itself. Thanks for reading.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gannyGrabber posted:

I quit xenoblade when they gave me a 4th character but the party could only fit 3. That is the worst poo poo ever and any game that does that can gently caress itself. Thanks for reading.

This standard for RPGs though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You mean you didn't want to grind affinities and skill links with your party members for 40 hours? :shepface:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gannyGrabber posted:

Play Suikoden, you can have six people in your party at one time!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gannyGrabber posted:

Why? You can switch them out whenever you want and it's not like they level at different rates.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

gannyGrabber posted:

But that's how you rotate the healer out and have real fights.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Why? You can switch them out whenever you want and it's not like they level at different rates.

They level at basically the same rate but the affinity system (and how much that effects chain attacks, the most powerful mechanic the player has) definitely discourages switching your party up frequently. It doesn't help that the AI is terrible at playing half the characters.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

About the spoiler talk a few posts back, if you expect you'll consistently be controlling Shulk and consistently maintaining Enchant, then no, go with whatever weapon's the highest damage. If you've got Shulk around as AI, it's dumb and will leave Enchant off half the time. If you won't have Shulk in the party at all, then you won't have Enchant at all. Without Enchant or anti-mechon weapons, against a non-toppled mechon, physical attacks will do 1 damage and ether attacks will do 50% damage. You can muddle through with ether damage but it'll still be lovely.

My recommendation is just to buy the drat weapons, and stick with weapons with built-in anti-mechon properties as long as the plot is clearly throwing mechon opponents at you. It gives you a lot of freedom to do things other than play as Shulk, and even if you do play as Shulk, you can use your Monado powers for more stuff rather than having to earmark some of it to keep up the Enchant buff.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Being reminded of the brain dead AI in Xenoblade makes me really, really eager to see more of the multiplayer stuff in X...

Uh, they still have multiplayer, right? It was shown off in some of the earlier trailers but hasn't actually been brought up much in interviews and such.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gannyGrabber posted:

You must think the Suikoden series is Literally Hitler. 108 (or more) characters, and a 6 person party.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WrightOfWay posted:

They level at basically the same rate but the affinity system (and how much that effects chain attacks, the most powerful mechanic the player has) definitely discourages switching your party up frequently. It doesn't help that the AI is terrible at playing half the characters.

You don't really have to grind affinities for anything outside of the optional boss fights, though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Evil Fluffy posted:

You must think the Suikoden series is Literally Hitler. 108 (or more) characters, and a 6 person party.

To be entirely fair only maybe half of those are usually battle party members, a lot of them fill support roles and such. Now, if you'd said Chrono Cross...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

The affinity system encourages the opposite! You need to switch parties frequently to keep everyone's affinity up at a reasonable level.

I mean I guess if you're obsessive and have to get full heart affinity with people, but you can't do that with everyone without some serious affinity grinding, so it pays off much more to switch up your party and get everyone to mid level affinity than to just use one party and get them to the max.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If we're talking from a combat perspective then no, Affinity actively discourages you from switching your party members. Having 3 guys all at max affinity with each other is straight up better than having it spread around, because active party affinity has a direct and extremely huge impact on how good you are in combat.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If we're talking from a combat perspective then no, Affinity actively discourages you from switching your party members. Having 3 guys all at max affinity with each other is straight up better than having it spread around, because active party affinity has a direct and extremely huge impact on how good you are in combat.

I think it depends on the person because for me, if the affinity was low between members, I would swap them in so they could build it up. High affinity doesn't really make a huge difference until way later in the game when you're taking on 90+ monsters.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Louisgod posted:

I think it depends on the person because for me, if the affinity was low between members, I would swap them in so they could build it up. High affinity doesn't really make a huge difference until way later in the game when you're taking on 90+ monsters.

The main thing is that the cost to go up in Affinity is the same between each level, so it doesn't get harder to increase the higher you go or anything. And the benefits of being at higher affinity for Chain Linking are extremely big, plus it helps your crafting on top of that.

I mean yeah, you can basically do whatever you want in this game unless you want to try and do a low-level clear or try and beat the superbosses. I'm just saying if you're trying to be efficient about things, just focusing on 3 characters is the way to go for making combat easier.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If we're talking about efficiency then the best way to build affinity in general is to look up the best items to gift, or grind the mobs that put you to sleep so you can wake each other up. For me, I wanted everybody at a consistent affinity so I could unlock the handshake relationship link things through the game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I got deep in the mechonis before I realized what affinity even was and how to use all the perks it gave you.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Xenoblade.txt right there

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Once affinity really starts to matter you can go grind it up at those lizard guys in Eryth Sea anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The main thing is that the cost to go up in Affinity is the same between each level, so it doesn't get harder to increase the higher you go or anything. And the benefits of being at higher affinity for Chain Linking are extremely big, plus it helps your crafting on top of that.

I mean yeah, you can basically do whatever you want in this game unless you want to try and do a low-level clear or try and beat the superbosses. I'm just saying if you're trying to be efficient about things, just focusing on 3 characters is the way to go for making combat easier.

Why would anyone not want to lead with great heropon Riki and his trusty sidrekicks Dundun and Melly? :3:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's worth noting a few things about affinity:

- Its effect on chain attack continuation is absolutely linear, rather than tiered by color/level. Purple but almost pink is almost as good as full pink. Blue and halfway to purple is half as good as full pink.

- Factoring in starting points for most combinations, it's basically 500 points to hit green, 1000 points to hit blue, 1000 points to hit purple, and 2000 points to hit pink. So lower tiers are absolutely less effort per tier to hit than higher ones, and this does affect skill linking potential.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gannyGrabber posted:

lmao

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Vil posted:

- Its effect on chain attack continuation is absolutely linear, rather than tiered by color/level. Purple but almost pink is almost as good as full pink. Blue and halfway to purple is half as good as full pink.

Ah that's right, it's the effect on chain linking that's linear, not the affinity tier cost.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

gannyGrabber posted:

I should put this in the OP and then everyone who reads this thread can forever laugh at you for thinking a Japanese RPG is not going to have Japanese RPG conventions in it. Thanks for posting that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

I should put this in the OP and then everyone who reads this thread can forever laugh at you for thinking a Japanese RPG is not going to have Japanese RPG conventions in it. Thanks for posting that.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

gannyGrabber posted:

Same, but with Pokemon. Like there must be 500 of the little beggers now and still only 6 party slots? Garbage series imo.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

game requires me to make choices about who to use? ugh filthy trash for tryhards, gas from orbit

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I was going to just say RPG, but I thought I should hedge my bets because he might have said he only played like, Skyrim, and that's it. (I've never played Skyrim, gonna hope I'm right and that it only has a single character).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

I was going to just say RPG, but I thought I should hedge my bets because he might have said he only played like, Skyrim, and that's it. (I've never played Skyrim, gonna hope I'm right and that it only has a single character).

No, Skyrim has party members and you can't have all of them at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I outright refused - REFUSED - to play Turtles in Time because I could only be one turtle at a time. loving pathetic.

• Locked thread