Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Genarro and Muldoon were huge badasses in the book.

Grant tags two different raptors with neurotoxin and leaves them foaming at the mouth on the hatchery floor. Give the PhD some credit man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

HaitianDivorce posted:

Grant tags two different raptors with neurotoxin and leaves them foaming at the mouth on the hatchery floor. Give the PhD some credit man

The more I hear about the book, the more it sounds like a two-way horror story.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If the movie had been faithful to the book, the movie would have been a pretty hard R-rating.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
"We spared no expense!"

Workers bringing in the raptor get eaten
Grant's seat on the helicopter has two slots and no buckle
The plant in the lobby is severely poisonous
None of the dinosaurs are visible from the car tour
The doors to the cars aren't secured at all
The triceratops gets poisoned and nobody can figure out why
They hire the lowest bid coder who betrays the park for extra money

Yeah, that poo poo would have gone off without a hitch if Nedry hadn't shut down the fences.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

User-Friendly posted:

"We spared no expense!"

Workers bringing in the raptor get eaten
Grant's seat on the helicopter has two slots and no buckle
The plant in the lobby is severely poisonous
None of the dinosaurs are visible from the car tour
The doors to the cars aren't secured at all
The triceratops gets poisoned and nobody can figure out why
They hire the lowest bid coder who betrays the park for extra money

Yeah, that poo poo would have gone off without a hitch if Nedry hadn't shut down the fences.
I always got the impression Grant couldn't figure out the buckle, not that it was defective.

And no one is saying the park in the movie didn't have problems, I'm just saying there's no reason why a dinosaur zoo couldn't work in the long term. The only thing on your list that actually compromises the park is the last one, and that's entirely human error due to greed. The others would have been stumbling blocks, but "can't see the dinosaurs from the car tour" isn't exactly going to get people killed.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

That's because all the elements mentioned are individually simple, but they combine to form a complex and unpredictable system. Not being able to see the dinosaurs isn't lethal, until you realise that it gave Grant and the others the motivation to leave the cars, something they were able to do because the cars didn't have locks. In doing so they delayed the tour, which meant they were back outside the Rex pen when the power went off. Gennaro could not have predicted that leaving the car would lead to him being eaten on a toilet.

This isn't some kind of obscure, coded reference either - Malcolm is literally demonstrating chaos theory when Grant leaves the car.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Even Muldoon comments on how the Raptors were trying to figure out how to get out and gently caress poo poo up. It was only a matter of time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Xenomrph posted:

I always got the impression Grant couldn't figure out the buckle, not that it was defective.

It was two female buckles, you're objectively wrong. It may benefit some people in this thread to watch the movie again

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

oddium posted:

It was two female buckles, you're objectively wrong. It may benefit some people in this thread to watch the movie again

The buckle scene is so clever. In a couple of seconds you've established that Grant is an excellent improviser, that the park's systems don't work as well as they should and it foreshadows the female dinosaurs being able to breed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's two female buckles and he solves the problem by tying them up, making it work. Not very subtle either.

E: Clever girl.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

There's very little in the film that doesn't add to the story being told, and it's very important to ask, "what's being said here?" when watching. Is the belt buckle scene telling us that Dr. Grant, the top-of-his-field expert, is a bumbling clown? Probably not.

Now, when they find the sick triceratops and the film takes the time to mention that this one was Grant's favorite as a child, what's being said there? The exercise is left to the reader

oddium fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 31, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Another sign that the whole Jurassic Park deal wasn't exactly thought through as there's no evidence that they actually employ an on-site dinosaur expert; Grant and Sattler are specifically invited to the island to get a dinosaur expert's opinion of the place and there's a nice detail in the scene where Nedry is stealing the embryos where one of the dinosaur names is misspelled (I think it's Stegasaurus).

E: They have a bunch of personnel from regular zoos though and Harding is a vet but there's no mention of him having any expertise when it comes to dinosaurs/genetically engineered creatures.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 31, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Many of the dinosaur embryo names are misspelled. Hammond always makes it a point to say "spared no expense" when the park cut corners at every turn in order to churn out a profit for their investors as fast as possible.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The trick to Jurassic Park is that it's basically Spielberg doing an Alien film.

The similarities are too many to count, but the crucial point is in the uncanny resemblance between the velociraptors and the 'xenomorph'. As W.J.T. Mitchell points out (in The Last Dinosaur Book), Alien is really about a paleontological expedition into a fossil cave. And you can extrapolate from there: they find a perfectly-preserved insect in a transparent 'egg'. This insect, weirdly, gives birth to the rapacious, man-sized creature that stalks the protagonists....

"The alien’s form of life is (just, merely, simply) life, life as such: it is not so much a particular species as the essence of what it means to be a species, to be a creature, a natural being – it is Nature incarnate or sublimed, a nightmare embodiment of the natural realm understood as utterly subordinate to, utterly exhausted by, the twinned Darwinian drives to survive and reproduce." -Stephen Mulhall

It's in that sense that 'life finds a way'. But it's not the only sense. Jurassic Park obviously differs from Alien since it ends with a T-Rex bursting in to eat the aliens. The T-Rex's status as 'the good killer dinosaur' is the enigma of the entire film - a question tackled (to various degrees of success) in kaiju films like the Gamera remakes (Guardian Of The Universe and Advent Of Legion), Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, and both American Godzilla films. All these films contain explicit references to both Jurassic Park and Alien - with the 'aliens' invariably in the role of the bad guy.

You can step back and look at the scene where Lex gets sneezed on by a diseased brachiosaurus, and the subtly linked scene where Nedry is spat on by the dilophosaur. The 'veggiesauruses' are both afflicted with illnesses, while the dilophosaur evokes the image of a venomous serpent. The punchline to the sneeze is when Tim yells 'God bless you!' - which is fairly important, given earlier jokes like "God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs..."

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 31, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The buckle scene is so clever. In a couple of seconds you've established that Grant is an excellent improviser, that the park's systems don't work as well as they should and it foreshadows the female dinosaurs being able to breed.

I never thought about it like this, that's really brilliant filmmaking.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PriorMarcus posted:

"She's killing for sport."

There's no way she doesn't have some human DNA mixed in.
I'm trying to think what animals just like killing for sport, did they put cat DNA in this thing?

Then again it does have raptor DNA in it and they are pretty malicious with their desire to just murder everything.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The trick to Jurassic Park is that it's basically Spielberg doing an Alien film.
So is the Lost World just Spielberg wanting to do a King Kong film?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

gently caress.

The movie that keeps on giving.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

achillesforever6 posted:

So is the Lost World just Spielberg wanting to do a King Kong film?

Lost World is trying to be a Lost World film.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Lost World is trying to be a Lost World film.
Well yeah but it seems like they combine both

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Party Boat posted:

That's because all the elements mentioned are individually simple, but they combine to form a complex and unpredictable system. Not being able to see the dinosaurs isn't lethal, until you realise that it gave Grant and the others the motivation to leave the cars, something they were able to do because the cars didn't have locks. In doing so they delayed the tour, which meant they were back outside the Rex pen when the power went off. Gennaro could not have predicted that leaving the car would lead to him being eaten on a toilet.

This isn't some kind of obscure, coded reference either - Malcolm is literally demonstrating chaos theory when Grant leaves the car.

Yep, the chaos of superficially simple things interacting at a certain scale being an insurmountable and undefeatable force is the point of the book. All of the chapter pages in the original pressing even slowly built a complex fractal and had a related quote about how LITTLE TINGS gently caress UP IN UNPREDICTABLE WAYS THAT MAGNIFY AND ALMOST SEEM TO COOPERATE TO RUIN YOUR poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Party Boat posted:

I wanted to comment on this because you're right and I can't believe I didn't pick up on it. I remember Crichton's book being much more on-the-nose with regard to the characters picking up on the small elements causing big problems (and then spelling it out for the reader).

In that regard I don't think the movie (or book) is making the point that any dinosaur zoo is doomed to fail, it's just using the dinosaur zoo as the backdrop to demonstrate chaos theory and the dinosaurs are there to keep the reader/audience's attention (since dinosaurs are awesome).
Then again I guess that storytelling technique of using the fantastic to demonstrate the mundane is true of a lot of science fiction.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AlternateAccount posted:

Yep, the chaos of superficially simple things interacting at a certain scale being an insurmountable and undefeatable force is the point of the book. All of the chapter pages in the original pressing even slowly built a complex fractal and had a related quote about how LITTLE TINGS gently caress UP IN UNPREDICTABLE WAYS THAT MAGNIFY AND ALMOST SEEM TO COOPERATE TO RUIN YOUR poo poo.

"There are dimensions of how [dinosaurs] interact with their environs which are not only unknown to us, but which we are not even aware of. And there are many "unknown knowns" in our perception of [dinosaurs]: all the anthropocentric prejudices that spontaneously colour and bias our study of them.

The most unsettling aspect of such phenomena is the disturbance in yet another type of knowledge, in what the French psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan called "knowledge in the real": the "instinctual" knowledge that regulates animal and plant activity. This can run amok. When winter is too warm, plants and animals misread the hot weather in February as the signal that spring has began and start to behave accordingly, thus not only rendering themselves vulnerable to late onslaughts of cold, but also perturbing the rhythm of natural reproduction. [...]

We pride ourselves for living in a society in which we freely decide about things that matter. However, we are constantly in the position of having to decide about matters that will fundamentally affect our lives, but without a proper foundation in knowledge. This is frustrating: although we know that it all depends on us, we cannot predict the consequences of our acts. We are not impotent but - quite the contrary - omnipotent, without being able to determine the scope of our powers. While we cannot gain full mastery over our biosphere, it is in our power to derail it, to disturb its balance so that it will run amok, swiping us away in the process."

-Zizek, on bees and colony collapse disorder

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm trying to think what animals just like killing for sport

Dolphins, and by extension killer whales

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Why would helicopter seat belts represent the park? Its not like they manufactured it at the park.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It's a metaphor in a movie, ya dingus.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ya but I was referring to this:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Make a movie about the helicopters manufacturer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cage posted:

Ya but I was referring to this:

Make a movie about the helicopters manufacturer.

It's an InGen copter, probably custom built to their specifications. :smug: checkmate tactical realists.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cage posted:

Why would helicopter seat belts represent the park? Its not like they manufactured it at the park.
It's a component of the park's systems. They didn't manufacture the computers and electric fences on the island, either.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Xenomrph posted:

It's a component of the park's systems. They didn't manufacture the computers and electric fences on the island, either.

I'd assume also for the super rich who would scoff at the idea of taking a boat with filthy poors, a jet+helicopter transport would be arranged. So in a way it is as much a part of the park as the ride vehicles and jeeps.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Ingen helicopter is actually a recurring nemesis for Grant. The destructive effect it has on the palaeontological dig prefigures the T-Rex rippling the glass of water. Much like the T-Rex it also comes good and saves everyone's rear end in the finale.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

oddium posted:

Here's the scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKFDxg4cbIw

Although it's hard to say for sure, the way I always interpreted it and what I think is the most straightforward is that he has two female buckles because he grabs his female buckle and Ellie's female buckle instead of his female and male buckles. Notice that Ellie is never shown to have a buckled seatbelt either. The seatbelts aren't defective (although yes, him "finding a way" using two female buckles is indeed a clever little visual metaphor).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I disagree, Ellie looks down at her lap for a seatbelt then over at Grant to see he only has two female buckles. Ellie simply didn't have any seatbelt to use.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

KiddieGrinder posted:

I think the book mentions how each paddock has multiple video cameras that track the dinos to make sure they know their numbers, but there was some problem that made the staff not notice. I don't remember but it was sort of flaky, and even then more dinos doesn't mean the park is a disaster.

They never expected the dinosaurs to breed, so the security system was programmed to count the expected number of dinosaurs. At one point, they instruct the computer to count everything it sees, and the population numbers skyrocket before their eyes. The book's pacing conveys the theme of chaos: the situation unravels exponentially as unpredictable factors reveal themselves. By the end, the island is napalmed in a second extinction.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

I think the book mentions how each paddock has multiple video cameras that track the dinos to make sure they know their numbers, but there was some problem that made the staff not notice. I don't remember but it was sort of flaky, and even then more dinos doesn't mean the park is a disaster.
Which leads to Michael Crichton Ian Malcolm leaving some :smug: sick burns about he is write, thank god for Jeff Goldblum because in the novel Ian is loving unbearable

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
I believe there is a scene at the end of the book where Grant sees a large group of raptors on the beach staring into the ocean and he realizes they are attempting to migrate. Dinosaurs having migratory patterns is a pretty neat reveal and keeps with the the book's theme (and the Zizek quote above) of IngGen being totally unable to care for the dinosaurs because there's just so much we don't and can never know about them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I want this as a wall mural on the biggest wall in my house.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Vogon Poet posted:

Here's the scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKFDxg4cbIw

Although it's hard to say for sure, the way I always interpreted it and what I think is the most straightforward is that he has two female buckles because he grabs his female buckle and Ellie's female buckle instead of his female and male buckles. Notice that Ellie is never shown to have a buckled seatbelt either. The seatbelts aren't defective (although yes, him "finding a way" using two female buckles is indeed a clever little visual metaphor).

Unless Ellie's belt buckles are both on her left, I don't know if this is right

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

oddium posted:

Good catch. I watched the clip like 3-4 times and thought she was coming up empty handed after checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

oddium posted:

She is holding a male buckle in her left hand. There should be two buckles to her immediate left: her female buckle and Alan's male buckle. Because Alan is holding Ellie's female buckle, the only remaining buckle in between the two seats is Alan's male buckle, that is, the buckle that Ellie is holding in this picture. :colbert:

• Locked thread