Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Looks legit

https://github.com/systemdaemon/systemd/issues/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i mean i can see some systemd developers having public git repos linux for any kernel tweaks to better support some of systemd's features, like improving the cgroups abi or whatever idk, and i can also see a jackass publishing this as "the systemd project includes their own kernel fork now too!"

this is clearly a guy who made a fake github account "systemdaemon", made a systemd repo containing linux without even bothering to make it look remotely real (by starting with the real systemd history instead of extracting a source tarball and git committing that, for one), making a few inflammatory comments and getting it posted on distrowatch

yeah it would be funny two days from now

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
John son-of-Gotcha

Sounds legit

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"ivan gotyaovich"

yeah they're not even trying

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lysidas posted:

yeah it would be funny two days from now

no.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

It would certainly get a reaction out of people that already care too much about a part of Linux that almost no one touches and are too stupid to check if it's real. That's completely worth it, imo.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 30, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Heard some students today talking about Linux, nethack, and dungeon crawl. One had a bad eye, and the other hadn't bathed over the weekend.

I should have bought them accounts.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you gentlemen wouldnt happen to have.. ahem.. stairs.. in your houses?

they stare for a bit, and then we all just start laughing and laughing. of course they do

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CoreDuo posted:

It would certainly get a reaction out of people that already care too much about a part of Linux that almost no one touches and are too stupid to check if it's real. That's completely worth it, imo.

if the reaction of Jesse Smith of DistroWatch and CryptoCoin.cc is anything to go by, no.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

you gentlemen wouldnt happen to have.. ahem.. stairs.. in your houses?

they stare for a bit, and then we all just start laughing and laughing. of course they do

I'd never own up to being a goon outside of a computer science department.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
why would you cop to it inside the c.s. dept

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my RL experiences meeting goons have all been disappointing, in that everyone was gracious and clean, so I didn't get any good lolgoons stories out of it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
we should meet then

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

we should meet then

I thought of pinging you when I was going to be in the city randomly last weekend, since I missed meeting you at GDC, but chickened out.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
when are you in SF next? let's head to zeitgeist

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

when are you in SF next? let's head to zeitgeist

probably this coming weekend, but afternoontimes. last time I was at zeitgeist it was gnome-nat's 21st birthday, to flirt with being on topic for the thread.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why would you cop to it inside the c.s. dept

Because the goons are the cool ones in cs departments.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
everyone is my cs department was a redditor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ZShakespeare posted:

were all of their presentations full of le rage face?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Y U NO USE PYTHON

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
L

I

N

U

X

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

ZShakespeare posted:

Thank god I'm old and reddit was just getting started.

I liked digg, before it went full sjw.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Thank god I'm old and reddit was just getting started.

I liked digg, before it went full sjw.

digg was exactly the same as reddit with the same horrible people

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the misalignment of the i in comparison to the other letters is triggering me

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

eschaton posted:

were all of their presentations full of le rage face?

there is a large billboard in SF right before the bay bridge with a rage face meme on it.

welcome to the cyber future

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

triple sulk posted:

fine

L

I

N

U

X

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

triple sulk posted:

bad kerning is like a linux watermark

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Breakfast All Day posted:

bad kerning is like a linux watermark

actually i notice it more often in genuine microsoft(r) powerpoint(r) presentations, does office even turn kerning on by default yet

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i have got more fonts troubles lately in windows than on linux somehow

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

just installed fedora to try it out and i'm honestly quite impressed; looks quite consistent, is fast and generally smooth. that being said

1) i shouldn't have to add/edit a config file to disable mouse acceleration
2) i shouldn't have to build my own patch to get amd drivers to install
3) the default video player offers to download codecs for files it can't play. that's great, except they don't seem to work. had to copy a paragraph long list of packages into the terminal to get videos to play.
4) i know this is marketed as a workstation pro os but every linux is guilty of this: if you want normal people to use your os then you have to stop dropping them to the terminal every time something slightly edge-case comes up. say what you like about windows but at least if i need to change a setting/fix something there's likely a setting that i can fairly intuitively (less so recently what with the two loving control panels) navigate to. true, once you start having to do registry edits and group policy poo poo you might as well be hammering commands into a terminal, but if i want to do some poo poo like disable mouse acceleration there's a checkbox for it, in the settings app, under 'mouse'. which is more intuitive than:

quote:

Disabling mouse acceleration

Mouse acceleration has changed dramatically in recent X server versions; using xset to disable acceleration doesn't work as it used to and is not recommended anymore.
Recent changes on PointerAcceleration can be read here.
To completely disable any sort of acceleration/deceleration, create the following file:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
EndSection

not hard, just irritating and something that you would never in a million years know without googling. my issue with this is that you're not even learning much about how the command line works anyway beyond a few core tools. the average user will only be doing this once per install and even then they'll be copy-pasting the as much as they can to get it over with as fast as possible; the only people who appreciate poo poo like this is aspergian tinkerers and sysadmins, neither of which are the main market for a consumer desktop OS.

all that being said fedora out of the box rendered at my monitor's resolution at 60fps, my audio devices worked with no loving about, i was able to move windows about without them tearing all over the place and looked fairly snaz while doing it, which is more than one could say for ubuntu.

6-7/10 my mom would probably be happy with this for email/watching her stories

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 31, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Generic Monk posted:

1) i shouldn't have to add/edit a config file to disable mouse acceleration
blame gnome

Generic Monk posted:

2) i shouldn't have to build my own patch to get amd drivers to install
amd/ati drivers have never worked on linux, you were a fool to even try it

you're literally better off with whatever the open source support is, even if it's 2d-only

Generic Monk posted:

4) i know this is marketed as a workstation pro os but every linux is guilty of this: if you want normal people to use your os then you have to stop dropping them to the terminal every time something slightly edge-case comes up. say what you like about windows but at least if i need to change a setting/fix something there's likely a setting that i can fairly intuitively (less so recently what with the two loving control panels) navigate to. true, once you start having to do registry edits and group policy poo poo you might as well be hammering commands into a terminal, but if i want to do some poo poo like disable mouse acceleration there's a checkbox for it, in the settings app, under 'mouse'. which is more intuitive than:
gnome again

and i don't really care if "normal" people use linux; why would anyone want to use linux except to work on linux software?

fedora, ubuntu, and gnome seem really focused on a user who doesn't exist. the hypothetical casual user getting email or something. idk

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i tried opensuse on a VM and the yast control panel is quite interesting and sort of polished.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Wild EEPROM posted:

fine

L

I

N

U

X

ty

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

(and i don't really care if "normal" people use linux; why would anyone want to use linux except to work on linux software?)

yeah just hammered home to me the futility of 'linux for the consumer desktop' - no one really wants or even particularly needs it so the efforts to enable it are kinda perfunctory.

gotta say i liked gnome - am i a bad person? it honestly seemed fairly polished, and i guess i can't really hold it against them that it doesn't have the same amount of settings as the teetering mass of spaghetti that is windows.

and yeah don't know why i'm surprised at amd driver fuckery anymore. at least i usually get them installed before they gently caress me over, even on linux. nice installing steam to see what I've got that's been ported and seeing a fair amount of decent stuff/big names though, even if i can't play any of them w/o banging my head against a wall

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 31, 2015

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Celexi posted:

i tried opensuse on a VM and the yast control panel is quite interesting and sort of polished.

kde right? kde's control panel is pretty comprehensive, except for the redone regional settings in kde 5

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i picked the gnome installation, i believe they both have the same control panel in opensuse

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Linux could actually have made some pretty decent inroads into the sperg market (moreso than it has already I mean) if they hadn't hosed the chicken as hard as possible on the GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 transition

like say by not burning API compatibility to the loving ground and also not retiring GNOME 2 until like GNOME 3.10 was out, minimum. basically providing an actual stable development target. i held my nose and took another look at the xdg-app ostree stuff the gnome ppl are working on and it actually seems pretty decent in this regard: every app gets mounted on top of a "GNOME 3.16" or whatever micro-distro and access to the message bus and display server is provided to its sandbox. Which means you target a particular GNOME (or KDE) release for your app and it's always available and they're all there side-by-side. The individual files are deduplicated across the micro-distros by hardlinking to a Git-like content-addressable store.

kdbus is coming in linux 4.1 so it'll be neat to see xdg-app gain some momentum around that point.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 31, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Generic Monk posted:

gotta say i liked gnome - am i a bad person? it honestly seemed fairly polished, and i guess i can't really hold it against them that it doesn't have the same amount of settings as the teetering mass of spaghetti that is windows.

you spent three paragraphs complaining the setting was missing from gnome.

that's not a linux problem, that's a gnome problem

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Celexi posted:

this, but unironically